Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-24-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I don't eat liver anyhow but a rutting moose liver goes through a metamorphosis when they rut....it turns all grey and splotchy from the normal dark purple colour...

LC
Most of the moose liver I've eaten was from rutting moose, it was delicious.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:58 PM

I like to have a looney sized piece of fresh raw liver as I am dressing the animal. It is known to have anti-fatigue qualities which is helpful when I have to drag the animal out.

The liver and organs are superfood packed with nutrition. That is why the predators eat them first. Around the globe it is believed that consuming the organ meats will keep your own organs in top health.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 09-24-2014, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Most of the moose liver I've eaten was from rutting moose, it was delicious.
They just look weird.

LC
Old 09-24-2014, 03:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
This is an urban myth, I tried eating nothing but moose steaks for two months straight... didn't lose a pound.
All you ate for 60 days was lean moose meat ( nothing else ? ) I call bs ! ,,,and you didn't loose a pound ?

I Must have been given real bad info survival training in the 1980s from CAF and Inuit Rangers on arctic cold weather wilderness survival, oh we'll !
Old 09-24-2014, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post
All you ate for 60 days was lean moose meat ( nothing else ? ) I call bs ! ,,,and you didn't loose a pound ?

I Must have been given real bad info survival training in the 1980s from CAF and Inuit Rangers on arctic cold weather wilderness survival, oh we'll !
Moose (and other Cervid) meat may be lean, but it still contains fat. It is just not hard fat, however it is way less fatty than beef.

The info you probably received was in regards to rabbits. Rabbit meat is so lean that if it the only source of animal protein you can be become malnourished. To avoid this you should eat the rabbits organs as well (liver, heart, brains, eyes) which contain enough fat to balance the protein from the meat.

ETA- when in an arctic survival situation eating lean meat is not advised nor adequate for survival. You need fat, lots of fat.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post

Alright, I may have cheated once or twice and it might be possible I lost a small amount of weight. But the bulk of my diet for two months straight was moose and If I lost any weight it wasn't anything to speak of, this was in the fall of 2008 while my wife was in trade school and I had a bunch of meat to clean out before the hunting season.

As well the last two years I have had to go out of town for millwright school which is two months, I do eat out once in awhile and my diet is a little more varied when I come home on the weekends, but for the most part I eat cornflakes for breakfast, wraps with deer burger and veggies for lunch, and deer steak for supper. I am less active than usual so I work out more to offset this, still, no lost weight to speak of over the more regular diet I eat through the rest of the year.

In summation, despite what many have told me I think it would take years (if ever) to actually starve eating wild meat. For the average modern man to even consider it a possibility is a little silly IMO.

Last edited by Bushleague; 09-25-2014 at 12:30 AM.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:50 AM

Wow, moose meat will kill you! Wish I would have known this 25 years ago as its the meat I've lived off of. Besides a little pork, moose and deer is the only meat I eat. I can honestly say there has never been any beef in my freezer. As to how much meat to take, I take every piece I can. I had a conversation about this with a CO, He said you can leave the actual rib cage, but you have to take all the meat, including rib meat.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twobucks View Post
To clean the meat off the shanks is more trouble than it's worth, but if you braise the shanks for a couple of hours they are delicious and easy to make. Go to honest-food.net and check out some of the recipes for shank there. So good.
x2. I have a grinder that will handle the shanks, but slow cooked they are awesome. Much of the time the meat that takes longer to prepare and cook is also the most flavourful when you take the time to do so.
Old 09-25-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim summit View Post
Not to belittle any one, (my personal opinion) only is to take all meat and no need to wonder if you are legal or not.

Us northern Albertan's tend to think differently then a lot of folks.
Like how your cousins are real Purdy? My it's the fact that all my cousins are ugly but I just don't see the draw.

And it really doesn't matter where you live , some waste some don't! What's a trapper do with all the left over meat from his season? Surely his dog sled team doesn't eat it all. He'll I even heard the new tundras don't run on carcass!

Things are a sure changin'
Old 09-25-2014, 03:53 PM

I totally agree. Too many so called professional opinions on here. As long as there is no blatent waste of meet, it is up to the individual who is butchering it.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:23 PM

I don't eat organ meat. But, my boys biology class appreciated the deer brain I provided last year, if I don't use it someone else might.
I figure if I am going to invest all the time and funds to get the game why waste anything but to each their own.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:36 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
This is an urban myth, I tried eating nothing but moose steaks for two months straight... didn't lose a pound.
Talk about getting the meat sweats!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-25-2014, 04:50 PM

Dont forget about that nose meat... you just have to burn the snot out of it
Old 09-25-2014, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Thanks for that! common sense approach IMHO....although I am SURE many would disagree and stop at nothing to ensure the toe-jam-meat is utilized

LC
Yeah, no doubt! There comes a point of diminishing returns when butchering game. Size of the animal also makes a big difference.

Over my 45 years of hunting I've done a lot of my own butchering and have occasionally used a "game cutter", particularly when hunting further from home.

Most of the game cutters I've used leave more behind than I do. Basically they say it just isn't worth the time for a handful of burger.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
ETA- when in an arctic survival situation eating lean meat is not advised nor adequate for survival. You need fat, lots of fat.
Absoloutly right. I spend alot of the winter outdoors,snowshoeing,climbing hiking,exploring. Easily burn 10,000 calories a day. Fatty and high protein meats are essential in high calorie output days.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:37 PM

Quote:
How much beer did you drink with this diet?
Old 09-25-2014, 10:21 PM

nobody mentioned anything about leftovers for the dog?!?
Old 09-25-2014, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
nobody mentioned anything about leftovers for the dog?!?
Ya, I cut up all the leg bones and use them for dog treats, anyone who doesn't do this is a big fat waster, most likely from the south.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:58 AM

I take back my comments on 'northern albertans', we are all outdoorsmen and women, and live in a land of great opportunity for all.