Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-12-2024, 07:40 AM

Default Just letting forest fires burn?

It seems that they are very hard to extinguish, there are lots of them and they are natures way of renewing a forest, why don't we just let them go?

Can we cut/log all the trees we need for housing and still leave the forest fires?

We can work as hard as humanly possible and with just a breath of wind the fire takes off again.

I don't think what we are doing is working. I guess we will have to stop building houses/cities right next to a burnable forest.

What have I got wrong? Is there a way to fight fires that we haven't tried?

Lots of smoke here in Cocrane to-day.
Old 05-12-2024, 08:14 AM

In the last 60 years or so there has been too much fire suppression and not enough proper forest management/prescribed burns. Logging practices have also changed over the years and not in a good way. The provincial governments have created policy based on the advice of the profit driven lumber industry and their lobbyists instead of the experienced boots on the ground logging contractors. The changes over the years have had nothing to do with forest management, but money for the mills and government via stumpage fees. This in turn has created very unhealthy forests with way too much fuel. The fires don't necessarily get any larger than in the past as there have always been large forest fires, but they burn much hotter and faster. Below is a pretty good overview on the topic.

https://www.vernonmorningstar.com/lo...-board-7323737
Old 05-12-2024, 08:27 AM

We certainly aren't going to abandon every location where there are forests. On the other hand, we do need to do prescribed burns, and perhaps let some fires burn, when conditions are right, and they aren't likely to threaten civilization.
Old 05-12-2024, 08:38 AM

Forgive for being a heretic, but if we treated Wildfires like a war situation and threw every available resource at them we could reduce damage dramatically. In the old days, every physically able male who could handle a shovel or use a hose was mobilized , bars were emptied, any necessary machinery was seized. Now they won't even let you near the fire without a stack of safety and proficiency certificates. Talked to a BC cottage owner the other day. The fire that wiped out a bunch of cabins near his, was a small fire caused by a lightning strike that should have been easily contained. The "Professionals" dumped a few gallons of water on it, deemed it out and walked away. it came with a vengeance.

Isaiah 5:8
Old 05-12-2024, 09:20 AM

Forests need management not huggers. That is exactly why we are in the state we are in today. California is a perfect example of this. Privately managed forests generate revenue and surprisingly don’t burn.

-Billy Molls
Old 05-12-2024, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
We certainly aren't going to abandon every location where there are forests. On the other hand, we do need to do prescribed burns, and perhaps let some fires burn, when conditions are right, and they aren't likely to threaten civilization.
Conditions are never right anymore now though.
I can remember spending the summers at our summer home on Moose Lake and there be 2-3 days of straight rain at times. I also remember super hot days with no wind and we were skiing and kneeboarding on a lake that was calm as glass for days straight at times.

Summers now consist of everyday being windy and no rains.
Old 05-12-2024, 10:19 AM

It's a Climate Emergency. The entire Planet is Effectively Burning. A Cabinet Minister said so. Pay more taxes and the fires will stop.

What a world to live in, where government incompetence and mismanagement can be turned into an extortion racket.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 05-12-2024, 10:37 AM

Unfortunately, it is past the finger pointing stage now. Take the latest fire outside of Fort Nelson. This was years in the making with severe droughts over the past few years. This latest fire started from a downed power line.
Forests too tinder dry, lack of water and rain to help in suppressing it. The other disturbing side effect is the smoke that blows from these fires into surrounding areas. It did not take long for it to blanket communities in Alberta for instance.
This fire season looks to be another bad one, and a long one.
Old 05-12-2024, 11:37 AM

It has become a multi million dollar business and it is quite easy to get business going......

Sometimes a huge fire is a good thing for the future......but people dont think that far ahead. They want it all during their lifetime.
Old 05-12-2024, 11:40 AM

A huge fire in Ottawa would be great for Canada's economy. And our international reputation too, probably.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 05-12-2024, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Short, sweet and spot on
Old 05-12-2024, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVA7mm View Post
In the last 60 years or so there has been too much fire suppression and not enough proper forest management/prescribed burns. Logging practices have also changed over the years and not in a good way. The provincial governments have created policy based on the advice of the profit driven lumber industry and their lobbyists instead of the experienced boots on the ground logging contractors. The changes over the years have had nothing to do with forest management, but money for the mills and government via stumpage fees. This in turn has created very unhealthy forests with way too much fuel. The fires don't necessarily get any larger than in the past as there have always been large forest fires, but they burn much hotter and faster. Below is a pretty good overview on the topic.

https://www.vernonmorningstar.com/lo...-board-7323737
Yep

Another big problem is “replanting” - by spraying the deciduous growth of a clear cut with roundup and then replanting conifers. Logging only works as a management tool when those deciduous trees are allowed to grow and form barriers to crown fires.

In the north where logging isn’t a driving factor, there has been far too much fire suppression. While I understand the desire to limit damages, it’s not possible to protect thousands of miles of roads, power lines, and resource infrastructure. Very little thought was given to this during development.

Then there’s the unmanaged “natural” green space/park problems. I know of 4 large areas in and around Edmonton that are ripe for a disaster. Fire is natural too. It’ll go eventually, whether people like it or not.
Old 05-12-2024, 04:21 PM

Best way to understand forest management in Alberta would be to discuss the strategy with the Province of Alberta. There are some well trained individuals who could share their knowledge and training if contacted after the fire season. Is there anything the Alberta forestry does that is unique in fire management strategy? It's is easy to say let the fire go when you don't have any personal property at risk.
Old 05-12-2024, 05:22 PM

The Fort Nelson fire is now 25 square kms in size . The fire officials are warning the last remaining 100 to 150 residents to evacuate the town. The last transport bus will leave at about 5pm today. Hopefully things work out for the best.
Old 05-12-2024, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
Forgive for being a heretic, but if we treated Wildfires like a war situation and threw every available resource at them we could reduce damage dramatically. In the old days, every physically able male who could handle a shovel or use a hose was mobilized , bars were emptied, any necessary machinery was seized. Now they won't even let you near the fire without a stack of safety and proficiency certificates. Talked to a BC cottage owner the other day. The fire that wiped out a bunch of cabins near his, was a small fire caused by a lightning strike that should have been easily contained. The "Professionals" dumped a few gallons of water on it, deemed it out and walked away. it came with a vengeance.
This! In grade 9 I stayed home from school for a Dr apt, a fire broke out in the forest our subdivision was surrounding. Forestry sent a truck out with one guy!

Mom and I walked up, I was the only able bodied male between 5 and 65 around at the time. Old Forestry guy took one look at me, asked if I had a pair of work boots and gave me 90 seconds to get them......30 seconds of "on the job training (this way turns hose on, this way off, don't let fire get behind you to your hose and if you lose pressure drop the hose and run)" and I spent the next 6 hours fighting the fire. Wisdom of the years tells me it was stupid but a rush in the moment!

Actually got paid for it, a whole $5/hr (min wage in NB at the time). Hardest $25 I ever made in my life!

Today I'd probably have the cops called on me and I'd be charged with a workplace violation if I tried to rally a few neighbours to help save our community!