Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-16-2024, 06:08 AM

Default Cabin heat

Does anyone know of a set up that when you leave your cabin for a bit that would keep a small amount of heat going in the cabin, so when you go back your not warming up -20 inside it takes awhile. I have gone to sleep in my snow suit waiting for the fire to defrost everything when I get there late
Old 01-16-2024, 07:53 AM

A propane lantern running off a 30 pound tank would get you all week I’m sure. A constant 1500 ish btus would definitely help. A wall mount would be your safest bet.
Old 01-16-2024, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South west trappin RG View Post
Does anyone know of a set up that when you leave your cabin for a bit that would keep a small amount of heat going in the cabin, so when you go back your not warming up -20 inside it takes awhile. I have gone to sleep in my snow suit waiting for the fire to defrost everything when I get there late
What about one of those cheap Chinese diesel heaters that run off 12 volt? The Chinese version of a Wabasto? Probably would keep the chill off.
Old 01-16-2024, 09:35 AM

In our cabin we had a wood stove and a propane heater that would kick in. When the stove went out.
Old 01-16-2024, 09:38 AM

A friend has an Espar heater in his work shed. It work good.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2024, 11:34 AM

I need something that vents out so it doesent gas us inside
Old 01-16-2024, 11:44 AM

Their are many propane wall heaters (Amazon) that vent outside, complete controls etc. I was considering one for trapping cabins, with low setting it might use a 20 lb tank in few days.
Old 01-16-2024, 02:36 PM

Coal burns slow, and you can get a coal furnace with an auger hopper that advances from a thermostat regulated temperature setting.

Slow steady heat that will last for days and with a solar panel to keep the battery topped up for the hopper, will be reliable for days away from the cabin at a time.

Drewski
Old 01-16-2024, 03:22 PM

Williams wall heater.
Runs on propane, controlled by a thermostat, doesn't need power.
Old 01-16-2024, 03:41 PM

Recently bought a Wippro diesel heater. Many good reviews. So far works pretty good but does need 12 volt power. I have a Bluetti power 180 to run it when wolf hunting/winter camping. Check it out might work for your application and no aggravating pump ticking noise with this particular unit.
Old 01-16-2024, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South west trappin RG View Post
Get an old gravity feed furnace from an older camper / rv. Requires no power and is deadly efficient on propane. I gave one to an old Trapper and he's been using it for about 12 years, he's just tickled pink. He barely even uses his wood stove now :-)
Old 01-17-2024, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorboy10 View Post
Recently bought a Wippro diesel heater. Many good reviews. So far works pretty good but does need 12 volt power. I have a Bluetti power 180 to run it when wolf hunting/winter camping. Check it out might work for your application and no aggravating pump ticking noise with this particular unit.
Awesome suggestions. I was also looking for options. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-17-2024, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonmark View Post
Get an old gravity feed furnace from an older camper / rv. Requires no power and is deadly efficient on propane. I gave one to an old Trapper and he's been using it for about 12 years, he's just tickled pink. He barely even uses his wood stove now :-)
2 x
Old 01-17-2024, 06:03 PM

Quote:
What’s a gravity feed furnace? Diesel furnace?
Old 01-17-2024, 06:23 PM

Many old camps utilized an oil stove, very easy to throttle down for periods away from the camp.
No getting up in the middle of the night to fill the stove.
Heck, you may even get a carve out?
Aside from smell if one should have a spill they do heat well as long as the carb is operating correctly. No different than a a diesel heater I suppose. The old oil tanks held a large volume so would get prolonged periods of use for each fill.
Old 01-18-2024, 08:01 AM

Default Williams Direct vent heater

Hi, we installed a William direct vent heater, 15000 BTU. We warm our 12 x 24 cabin each time we go out from the current outside temp. It takes about 4 hours to get up to 16 C in the cabin. If we also run the burners on the propane stove for an hour, it helps it get over 10 C fairly quickly. It can keep the cabin warm at -30C easily after that. We run the BBQ, the inside propane stove and the heater on 2 alternating 100 lb tanks. Each tank lasts about 6 months for weekend use all season long. The tanks have an automatic switch-over valve to prevent running out of heat. The cabin is on skids. The walls are 2x4 insulated, and the floor is insulated with 2 inches of hard styrofoam held in place with latts.

Our neighbours have this, plus a wood stove and propane fridge. They use their vented heater to keep the cabin warm and fridge running when they are not there to keep it at 10C. They went with a 250-lb propane bottle that Co-op fuel monitors and fills up for them. They get 2 fills per year done. When they are there, they burn wood to heat the cabin.

I hope this helps,

Hoopi

Last edited by Hoopi; 01-18-2024 at 08:04 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 01-18-2024, 10:17 AM

I have a retired 28' camper with a forced air furnace that I'd part with.
It also has a stove & fridge etc I'd part with....
Old 01-18-2024, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camdec View Post
What’s a gravity feed furnace? Diesel furnace?
It's a propane furnace that older campers used. The furnaces you get in a new camper or RV require electricity to run not these ones. You just light the pilot light and you're good to go. Look 3 posts down Reeves1 might part with one. I found three in the last handful of years at a Pick-A-Part. I even built one into a movable trolley so I can bring it into a garage or wall tent. On the back where the exhaust goes just fashion a dryer vent duct to it so you can extend the exhaust out to wherever you want.
Old 01-19-2024, 06:00 AM

Thank you everyone for the suggestions the gravity feed Rv furnace is kinda what I had thought about just was curious if anyone had used one. I just have to figure out where to mount the vent through log walls, probably near the air tight stove. It would be great if I could somehow use the stove pipe from the wood burner.
Old 01-19-2024, 07:01 AM

The direct vent wall heater and the rv furnace are basically the same thing, they vent sideways out the wall.
Williams also makes a "console heater" that vents up into a chimney.

https://www.williamscomfort.com/prod...-room-heaters/
Old 01-19-2024, 08:16 AM

Quote:
It's a propane furnace that older campers used. The furnaces you get in a new camper or RV require electricity to run not these ones. You just light the pilot light and you're good to go. Look 3 posts down Reeves1 might part with one. I found three in the last handful of years at a Pick-A-Part. I even built one into a movable trolley so I can bring it into a garage or wall tent. On the back where the exhaust goes just fashion a dryer vent duct to it so you can extend the exhaust out to wherever you want.

I also have one or two out of old truck (8') campers. (I'm a bit of a packrat )
Old 01-19-2024, 11:49 AM

I have an old diesel gravity feed heater in our cabin works great. It has a 3 inch exhaust that is plumbed into the wood stove 6 inch exhaust no problem using both at the same time. Had to use a draft regulator on the diesel heater exhaust for it to burn properly. Regular maintenance and it has been working for 40 years
Old 01-22-2024, 06:17 PM

Make sure you guys inspect the heat exchangers on those old gravity units. If their cracked in any way their toast. 40+ years on heating equipment is WAY past their safe service life, install a carbon monoxide detector their cheap and it might save your life.
Old 01-28-2024, 08:51 AM

Like mentioned a gravity furnace would be the best unless it gets too cold for the propane to vaporize. I heat my garage with a wood stove during the day and turn on my diesel heater at night and it uses a couple of liters over night. Because power is no issue it works well but only has a 4 liter tank. Garage is 25'x26' with a vaulted ceiling with 10 foot walls and stays quite comfortable.
Old 01-29-2024, 01:52 PM

Anyone running a Nu Way Propane stove they look pretty slick! They definitely not giving them away wonder if anyone in Canada has them in stock rather than shipping from the States.
https://nuwaystove.com/product-category/propane-stove/
Old 01-29-2024, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astepanuk View Post
Anyone running a Nu Way Propane stove they look pretty slick! They definitely not giving them away wonder if anyone in Canada has them in stock rather than shipping from the States.
https://nuwaystove.com/product-category/propane-stove/
Their most expensive model is $550 usd.
I think that's pretty dang reasonable for a brand new gas appliance.