Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-08-2019, 07:50 PM

Default ruger tool

does ruger supply a bolt tool with there new rifles.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:32 PM
Shooting Xs

If your referring to the Ruger Precision,it's in the rear half of the bolt.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:57 PM

got a ruger gunsite scout. bought quite a while ago. and i know i got some parts for it kickin around somewhere. but never seen this tool when i was looking up there bolt on youtube. got 10 bullets down the barrel from new. and having issues with the bolt.
Old 12-09-2019, 04:13 AM

The only tool you need for the m77 bolt is a finishing nail. Some good YouTube videos on disassembly. Unless I'm mistaken, the rpr bolt is the same as the ruger american. I don't know about those.

Colin
Old 12-09-2019, 07:03 AM

k thanks. i'll look into it
Old 12-09-2019, 07:46 AM

What issues are you having with the bolt? Light primer strikes? Stiff to operate? Or is the extractor bumping off the rim when you chamber a round?

I have and have had several ruger m77 Hawkeye rifles. My gunsite was immensely stiff to operate out of the box, which resulted in short drawing the bolt back, which resulted in the rounds skipping forward of the extractor. That problem was exacerbated by the generous length of the metal aics mag. Rounds could sit a little forward in the magazine. The polymer ruger mags are far better in this application. But working the bolt will loosen it up and everything will function better.

As for light primer strikes, I've encountered one or two bolts stuffed with hardened grease from the factory - almost looked like something that came out of a norinco plant. Complete strip and clean of the bolt with a light oil and you'll be.back in business.

Colin
Old 12-09-2019, 08:03 AM

the oil a nd firing pin is the issue i believe. yes id like to tear down and oil. thats why im looking into this tool. i wasnt using a mag. i was at the range. i do have the polymer one tho. bolt is very sticky. was -7 ish on fri. i can close the bold handle. like the cocking indicator at the back wont quite do its job when im tryin to close bolt.
Old 12-09-2019, 11:36 AM

i like ur sig. its select start for 2 players tho. haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by colroggal View Post
What issues are you having with the bolt? Light primer strikes? Stiff to operate? Or is the extractor bumping off the rim when you chamber a round?

I have and have had several ruger m77 Hawkeye rifles. My gunsite was immensely stiff to operate out of the box, which resulted in short drawing the bolt back, which resulted in the rounds skipping forward of the extractor. That problem was exacerbated by the generous length of the metal aics mag. Rounds could sit a little forward in the magazine. The polymer ruger mags are far better in this application. But working the bolt will loosen it up and everything will function better.

As for light primer strikes, I've encountered one or two bolts stuffed with hardened grease from the factory - almost looked like something that came out of a norinco plant. Complete strip and clean of the bolt with a light oil and you'll be.back in business.

Colin
Old 12-15-2019, 07:26 PM

finishing nail did the trick thanks . need a tool to remove spring. i just gave it some brake clean and rem oil. hopefully thats good enough, with out removing spring
Quote:
Originally Posted by colroggal View Post
The only tool you need for the m77 bolt is a finishing nail. Some good YouTube videos on disassembly. Unless I'm mistaken, the rpr bolt is the same as the ruger american. I don't know about those.

Colin