Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-28-2013, 06:48 PM

Unfortunately, commuting along the roadway to get to the trailhead is unavoidable. If the law enforcement was consistent then the ditch wouldn't look like an well worn ATV highway. It won't take long before the ATV community pack chainsaws and start cutting new trails 20ft in the bush to avoid being charged to ditch bombing. Then we'll be here debating the tree hungers crying about the quadders making new trails.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nait Hadya View Post
slow her down? was she speaking too fast or were you attempting to obstruct an officer?
No she was being a b1tch and the officer knew it too and was trying to get her to calm the f down. She must have been having a day... I was nothing but cooperative the whole time and the RCMP officer even thanked me for my cooperation and complimented me on my clean camp site.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:12 PM
Gone Hunting

She sounds like a hardass, but what did she do that was unprofessional??

What does a five year old understand about driving an ATV on the right of way or failure to produce insurance, or even what insurance is?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 07-28-2013, 07:51 PM

They must of just left Tim's & had two to many double-doubles & the trainee seen you in her cross hairs ... really sucks!

Zip-Z

Old 07-28-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
She sounds like a hardass, but what did she do that was unprofessional??

What does a five year old understand about driving an ATV on the right of way or failure to produce insurance, or even what insurance is?
The five year old is probably pretty good at picking up on body language, posture and tone of voice.....she sounds like she was pulling a Napoleon act for the rcmp officer....and being overly aggressive. Some people can be like that when they have power they shouldn't.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:15 PM

pretty easy to see who does and doesn't have an atv. I worked hard for mine and if I need to travel the ditch to get to a trail watch me go.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:23 PM

Almost borderlines on a jealousy thread.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
I will add a bit to Dave's post.

Phone 310 000 in Edmonton. Toll Free province wide.

Ask to talk to the SRD ADM's office. Give them your story. Your MLA should also be notified.
The Law is the Law. In this case it was broken.

Most law enforcement officials choose to give a warning, but in this case maybe she was trying to prove her authority to the rcmp officer.

Look at all the atv/sledders who ride the ditch next to hwys or even ride in the meridian. All of which is illegal unless it is a posted riding trail.

It's unfortunate, but it looks like you caught her on a bad day.

I also have an ATV. and yes sometimes i drive on the road to access other trails. Thats a chance I take. Kinda like throwing a cigarette butt out the window, or a gum wrapper. One day you will get caught for littering and fined. The Law is the Law!
Old 07-28-2013, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
Almost borderlines on a jealousy thread.
That and the fact that some just like to stir the pot.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:40 PM

I was told by the co in charge of the Nordegg area that it applies to all roads not just secondary roads.He said he wouldnt be charging anyone for riding on roads like the North fork road,but if the RCMP were to stop you they could charge you for riding an off road vehicle on the road.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:04 PM

Unfortunately ,most roads and hi ways in this province gotten to the point where they are more fit for OHVs than cars and trucks.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
Unfortunately ,most roads and hi ways in this province gotten to the point where they are more fit for OHVs than cars and trucks.
Yup !!!
Old 07-28-2013, 10:19 PM

When you have to pay for registration and insurance to drive a quad, there's no reason you shouldn't be allowed to drive it on a road if you have a bike license. Go down to Montana and you'll see guy's driving right down 10th ave Great Falls, too cool.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75ft Arborist View Post
The Law is the Law. In this case it was broken.

Most law enforcement officials choose to give a warning, but in this case maybe she was trying to prove her authority to the rcmp officer.

Look at all the atv/sledders who ride the ditch next to hwys or even ride in the meridian. All of which is illegal unless it is a posted riding trail.

It's unfortunate, but it looks like you caught her on a bad day.

I also have an ATV. and yes sometimes i drive on the road to access other trails. Thats a chance I take. Kinda like throwing a cigarette butt out the window, or a gum wrapper. One day you will get caught for littering and fined. The Law is the Law!
I know I know

And after they take the hob nailed boot off my neck, I will have to sign the papers.

But I won't be able to sign the papers because they broke my hands

The law is the law.

Say hello to Adolph on your next trip to Argentina.

Lily Marlene says Hello.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:54 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
I know I know

And after they take the hob nailed boot off my neck, I will have to sign the papers.

But I won't be able to sign the papers because they broke my hands

The law is the law.

Say hello to Adolph on your next trip to Argentina.

Lily Marlene says Hello.
So a lawless province would be your suggestion ? Drivers license,safety tickets just a form of oppression. From the hobnail boots lol hows the hand lol. Your typing does not seem to have suffered
Old 07-28-2013, 11:09 PM

This thread is about a F&W officer's behavior while conducting duties with the public.

Lefty Loosey, Righty Tighty!
Old 07-29-2013, 07:45 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
The five year old is probably pretty good at picking up on body language, posture and tone of voice.....she sounds like she was pulling a Napoleon act for the rcmp officer....and being overly aggressive. Some people can be like that when they have power they shouldn't.

Were you there?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 07-29-2013, 07:56 AM

I was in Ontario for the last month a place known for too many rules and this subject came up with the in-laws who are avid 4 wheelers . There you buy a plate for a one time fee of less than $100, insurance is optional. You can cross most roads and ride on many even into town, it is up to the municipality to make the rules. Alberta's treatment of ATVers is asinine at best and no way to drum up support for hook and bullet.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:08 AM

OPERATION RESTRICTIONS
2. Any Qualified Person may operate an Off-Highway Vehicle on a Highway within the County subject to this bylaw and the following conditions:
a) Notwithstanding anything herein contained, the provisions of the Act shall
apply to the operation of Off-Highway Vehicles on Highways;
b) Except as otherwise provided in this bylaw, an Operator of an Off-Highway Vehicle shall be permitted to operate the Off-Highway Vehicle on the extreme right hand side of the Roadway and shall travel single file at all times. Off-Highway Vehicles, when traveling on any Highway as permitted in this Bylaw, shall travel in the same direction as vehicles traveling on that side of the Roadway.
c) An Operator of an Off-Highway Vehicle within a Hamlet within the
County shall use a Roadway within the said Hamlet only to leave from and return to the Hamlet by the most direct route possible to and from his or her residence, at a maximum speed of thirty (30) kilometers per hour;
d) The maximum speed at which an Off-Highway Vehicle shall be permitted to travel on the Roadway is 50 kilometers per hour;
e) An Operator of an Off-Highway Vehicle within a Multi-lot subdivision shall use a Roadway within the said subdivision only to leave from and return to the Hamlet by the most direct route possible to and from his or her residence, at a maximum speed of thirty (30) kilometers per hour;
f) All Off-Highway Vehicles traveling on a Highway shall be equipped with
at least one headlight and one tail light, and no Off-Highway Vehicle shall operate on a Highway unless the headlight and tail light are alight;
3. No person shall operate an Off-Highway Vehicle in any Park within the County.
I copied this from the Clearwater County website by laws, is 752 not in Clearwater County? I always thought it was. I may be way off but I read this as you are allowed to ride your atv on the side of the road or ditch in Clearwater County. Correct me if I'm wrong
Old 07-29-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
I was in Ontario for the last month a place known for too many rules and this subject came up with the in-laws who are avid 4 wheelers . There you buy a plate for a one time fee of less than $100, insurance is optional. You can cross most roads and ride on many even into town, it is up to the municipality to make the rules. Alberta's treatment of ATVers is asinine at best and no way to drum up support for hook and bullet.
How sure are you? This doesn't sound right.

I remember reading a Canadian ATV magazine a few years ago and reading an article on Ont laws for tying down your quad when you trailer it. Seems odd they have laws on trailering and are more lax on rules for driving.

Pretty sure I even read Ont has volunteer trail "cops", who are civilians empowered to hand out ATV tickets on the trail.

I could be wrong though.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerman View Post
When you have to pay for registration and insurance to drive a quad, there's no reason you shouldn't be allowed to drive it on a road if you have a bike license. Go down to Montana and you'll see guy's driving right down 10th ave Great Falls, too cool.
That's the scam they've been selling Albertans for 20 years. Insurance I can see pl/ pd fire and theft. But the plate is just a money grab plain and simple. If your not allowed to travel down a side road or along a hiway, what's the point?
We had this same conversation 10 years ago while ice fishing, at first he was PO'd we didn't have plates on our sleds, we produced our insurance and then had a long conversation about the plate . In the end he shook his head and said he understood where we were coming from but we still should have them. No tickets no warnings, and maybe karma was on his side . Because 20 minutes after checking us out he fell thru the flood water and burried that pos Élan the AB government supplied him to do his job. So we helped him out then it died from water in the intake we pulled to his truck and helped load it. Our parting words were " maybe all that Ab OHV vehicle plate money should go to supplying you with a real sled" half joking. With a sheepish grin he just nodded said thanks for the help boys.
So for me until the change the laws to allow direct acsess to trail heads the plate is just legalized Extortion.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:38 AM

Just spoke to an RCMP officer who is a friend of mine. You can ride your quad on the side of county roads but 752 as it is considered a hwy is provincial. So no riding on the side of the road on any hwy, tree line to tree line or fence line to fence line. He said she should never have given him a ticket unless he was being foolish or going to fast. What bugs me is its easy grapes for them. Once saw them have a bunch of quads pulled over on 752 and just up by Elk Creek there was a quad driving up the middle of the creek. Didn't have my cell phone with me or I would have taken a pic and had the quad charged.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:40 AM

Default Clearwater bylaw

Somewhere in that bylaw it will state that it only applies to roads that are under the control and of direction of Clearwater County. Hwy 752 is a provincial highway and Clearwater County has no authority to allow OHV use on a road that is not theirs. The bylaw does not apply.

So yes if the op was on a range or township road and meeting all of the requirements of the bylaw he would not be operating illegally. The bylaw authorizes OHV use on municipal roads only.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
Actually in the begining this was the intent of the Alberta law as well, to allow access to the trail head, though these "through fare areas and to cross public roads" unfortunately the powers to be go us to register and insure and now the only legal place to ride is your backyard.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:59 AM
Banned

So I guess the thousands of snowmobiles ditch banging Alberta hiways every winter day are in violation of the law as well.

Looks like the ol' Crossfire 1000 won't be stopping to say hello to the local ticket pig.

Sorry about your hassles, but not really much you can contest when your in violation of the law, however sad it may be.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:57 AM

Maybe if you had the insurance and registration with you would have got a warning?

Break one law = warning
Break 2 laws = fine for lowest(not bad).

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Maybe if you had the insurance and registration with you would have got a warning?

Break one law = warning
Break 2 laws = fine for lowest(not bad).
Makes sense to me.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:57 PM
Banned

As some have stated before, all primary and secondary highways are Provincially regulated, so the County can't let you drive in the ditch on those. Usually it just isn't enforced as where I ride we often ride in the highway ditch to get to the trail. The RCMP and Fish and Wildlife don't enforce it unless they get some complaints or you're driving like a bonehead, although if they wanted to they would be able to write a ticket for driving in the ditch, regardless of whether the operator has registration and insurance. I find it interesting that you can ride a horse in the ditch no problem, but not a quad. It may have been that since there was an RCMP officer with her, she didn't feel right that she ignore the infraction, but not sure why some officers think they need to treat people like bad assed criminals when giving out traffic tickets. That just gives people a bad impression of them.

Bottom line though is that if you are driving in the ditch of a provincially regulated highway, if they want to enforce it, they can and some do, some don't, so you takes your chances I guess.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:48 PM

When I talked with fish and wildlife up north they did not care about atv's on roads told me it was an RCMP issue not theirs. Must be different down south. But then again I never see another quad where I go so not really to much eco damage.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post
How sure are you? This doesn't sound right.

I remember reading a Canadian ATV magazine a few years ago and reading an article on Ont laws for tying down your quad when you trailer it. Seems odd they have laws on trailering and are more lax on rules for driving.

Pretty sure I even read Ont has volunteer trail "cops", who are civilians empowered to hand out ATV tickets on the trail.

I could be wrong though.
Quite sure, and yes you are wrong.