Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-04-2013, 08:12 PM

Default Zimmrman case

Been trying to follow this case, just wondering what peoples thoughts on it are and the stand your ground law? Been working in TX a fair bit and there is pretty much 3 opinions down there.

Black Opinion - Zimmerman is guilty (even though many of them know nothing about the case other than a black kid was killed)

Non Black Opinion - Zimmerman was clearly justified (even though many of them don't know any details about the case)

Legal opinion - Not technically guilty by the law, however antagonized the situation that lead to the shooting.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:22 PM

Take out the emotion and with Florida's stand your ground law I think it's pretty cut and dry. May not be morally correct but I think he was within the law. He wasn't even charged for two months because there was no case. Political pressure and media coverage pushed this case forward.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:33 PM

The kid was beating his head on the sidewalk. He has a broken nose and lacerations to his head. The kid had no wounds that were inflicted in a fight.
I have been following this pretty much from the beginning and the majority of evidence points to self defence. He probably should not have been there and apparently he was headed back to his truck when he was confronted by the kid. The prosecution will wrap up their side of the trial on Friday and the defence should only take a couple of days for their side. So far I am leaning towards not guilty and I don't see too much proving other wise. Manslaughter may be on the table but hardly likely, the only problem I see is an all woman jury.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:34 PM

Thats my opinion as well. Will be interesting how this shakes out
Old 07-04-2013, 08:36 PM
Banned

Not guilty on all counts
Old 07-04-2013, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck Country View Post
Thats my opinion as well. Will be interesting how this shakes out
They are digging into Zimmerman's back ground because he went to college and took a law enforcement class. If they were allowed to bring Martins back ground into play they would see that he was a fighter and apparently at one time he was looking to buy a gun. The kid was no angel for sure, only in his parents eyes.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:48 PM
Banned

I think he's guilty but will get off because its a weak case. I think he was playing rental cop started the altercation and when he started losing he shot the kid and plead self defence.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali#1 View Post
I think he's guilty but will get off because its a weak case. I think he was playing rental cop started the altercation and when he started losing he shot the kid and plead self defence.
x2~guilty as sin.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:56 PM

Quote:
I think you could be right for the most part, he was playing I am the poeleese.
But the kid was definitely trying to bash his head in on the sidewalk. Too bad the kid had to die, Zimmerman is definitely to blame for getting it started.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:57 PM

The shooters prejudices that lead to events don't matter, he was getting his butt whooped by a skittles eating teenager that knew how to fight, and ended the confrontation in accordance with his state laws.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:58 PM

One of the experts on the stand in the trial is black. I'd say his testimony was opinion exempt.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincherguy View Post
They are digging into Zimmerman's back ground because he went to college and took a law enforcement class. If they were allowed to bring Martins back ground into play they would see that he was a fighter and apparently at one time he was looking to buy a gun. The kid was no angel for sure, only in his parents eyes.
My thoughts as well
Old 07-04-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
But the kid was definitely trying to bash his head in on the sidewalk. Too bad the kid had to die, Zimmerman is definitely to blame for getting it started.
My thoughts as well
Old 07-04-2013, 09:08 PM

Not guilty, I am waiting for the race riots. Could be entertaining and put Rodney King to shame.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck12 View Post
Not guilty, I am waiting for the race riots. Could be entertaining and put Rodney King to shame.
I don't think it will get that bad, gonna be a lot of unhappy people for sure. I ac just hear old Nancy Disgrace now wah wah wah.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:14 PM

Quote:
I don't think it will get that bad, gonna be a lot of unhappy people for sure. I ac just hear old Nancy Disgrace now wah wah wah.
When will hey take her off the air.

Dont know about riots but will be a big black backlash / protests if he walks
Old 07-04-2013, 09:18 PM
Banned

this was a hate crime obviously
Old 07-04-2013, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck Country View Post
When will hey take her off the air.

Dont know about riots but will be a big black backlash / protests if he walks
She has been around for a long time, the woman you love to hate. I think they make quite a bit of money off of her. If he walks he will have to move for sure, far, far away and change his name. Maybe to Pincher Guy nobody gonna mess with him then. LOL
Old 07-04-2013, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmooth View Post
this was a hate crime obviously
dont think it was a hate crime, just think he bit off more than he could chew then shot the kid when it got out of control. He has a lot of black friends. Even his former Black proffessor said "Hi" to him in the court and seemed real friendly to him.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'm not sure about you but those wounds seem superficial to me, I was watching yesterday when they had a doctor or something on the stand and she said there was no way anybody was trying to kill him and the wounds he had weren't consistent with someone smashing his head into concrete.

I think he gets off thought because they have to prove him beyond a reasonable doubt which is hard to do when he's the only witness, the family will go after him in civil court probably and win that way, seems his wife is in hot water with perjury though.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yards View Post
The shooters prejudices that lead to events don't matter, he was getting his butt whooped by a skittles eating teenager that knew how to fight, and ended the confrontation in accordance with his state laws.
You can't claim self defence if you started it.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:00 PM

I wouldn't have got out of the truck to track the kid. If I was worried enough to call 911, I would have driven around to keep an eye out for a little while to see if I could spot him.

Having said that, I still don't think that someone following you and asking you what you are doing is grounds to attack them. Of course, Zim could have swung and missed, or pulled the gun right away, and Martin then defended and got the upper hand momentarily... but we don't know this, and the way the evidence looks, I can't see him being legally guilty of anything.

They are saying that the jury may decide to convict him for manslaughter based on emotion, which is crap. Is he guilty or not? Is there ANY reasonable doubt that this was murder or even manslaughter? YES. If he's not acquitted, there's a problem.

It's frustrating to hear some of the "experts" they are talking to in the news.. Some are saying that his injuries weren't life threatening, so he shouldn't have used lethal force.. I can understand someone feeling this way, but it's not legally required to wait until your injuries get to a certain level of severity before you defend yourself.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Started what? The kid had no wounds on him except a bullet hole
Old 07-04-2013, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Are you sure about this? If you start a fight with someone, you now have to legally let them kill you?

Anyways, there isn't any concrete evidence that he started a fight. We know he followed him and said "what are you doing here?" or something to that effect. With no marks on Martin and no witnesses and no other evidence to suggest otherwise, why do you think that Zimmerman attacked Martin? Or do you think that him following him and asking a question is reason enough to warrant a broken nose etc..
Old 07-04-2013, 10:16 PM

Nothing good will come of this. If he's aquitted race riots will occur, if he's found guilty it wil be because he defended himself.

This case has boiled down to a kangaroo court of black vs white. Even though Zimmerman is half Hispanic and white. I guess that still makes you a cracker.

When the verdict comes out the riot will start.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 07-04-2013, 10:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiantdi View Post
Are you sure about this? If you start a fight with someone, you now have to legally let them kill you?

Anyways, there isn't any concrete evidence that he started a fight. We know he followed him and said "what are you doing here?" or something to that effect. With no marks on Martin and no witnesses and no other evidence to suggest otherwise, why do you think that Zimmerman attacked Martin? Or do you think that him following him and asking a question is reason enough to warrant a broken nose etc..
If I walked up to you and punched you in the face and then you got the better of me could I claim "self defence" ?.

If a guy is following you through your neighbourhood for no reason would you question him if he suddenly appeared? I know I would if some guy is following me by my house for no reason, if he were a cop then sure this guy has no right to ask anybody anything, my answer to him would start with a 4 letter word and probably have a few more thrown in for good measure.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryry4 View Post
Nothing good will come of this. If he's aquitted race riots will occur, if he's found guilty it wil be because he defended himself.

This case has boiled down to a kangaroo court of black vs white. Even though Zimmerman is half Hispanic and white. I guess that still makes you a cracker.

When the verdict comes out the riot will start.
He defended himself is his story that's why it's in court.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:19 PM

Quote:
If I walked up to you and punched you in the face and then you got the better of me could I claim "self defence" ?.

If a guy is following you through your neighbourhood for no reason would you question him if he suddenly appeared? I know I would if some guy is following me by my house for no reason, if he were a cop then sure this guy has no right to ask anybody anything, my answer to him would start with a 4 letter word and probably have a few more thrown in for good measure.
And why are you walking through my neighborhood for no reason?

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 07-04-2013, 10:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_hate_snow View Post
Started what? The kid had no wounds on him except a bullet hole
Maybe he's a terribly fighter ?

Maybe he took a swing ad missed the kid jumped on him and landed a few for his troubles. They got up and he pulled te gun and shot him claiming self defence ? Who knows I know I don't and in pretty sure you don't either.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryry4 View Post
And why are you walking through my neighborhood for noe reason?
What gives you the right to ask me anything ? You have a badge ?