Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-29-2012, 12:30 PM

Default Guess you are not really good at attention to detail are you?

Quote:
Hmm surprised ww hasnt commented yet about how its your fault for not having control over your dog
the last situation was a loose dog running over to befriend an unknown dog when it was attacked. I stated that if you allow your dog to go "visit" and it is attacked it is your fault for not having your dog under control.

In this situation the dog was attacked while minding it own business with its master. Slightly different scenario. After training dogs for 30 years the toughest part is getting the owners to listen and understand why their actions are contributing to the animals behavioral problems.
if you can't see a difference I understand why you continue to have problems.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem338win View Post

And is that bacon on Duke's nose? THAT dog has patience! I'dve bit your hand trying to get it first then bit ya after I ate it for playing games with my bacon fool!
Frozen deer meat
Old 09-29-2012, 12:54 PM

hope ya catch the idiot! Shame a dog and his pets can't go for a walk without being disturbed.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:21 PM

I walk in Nose Hill everday and most days are great. People who come from Europe seem to have the idea that it is not a good thing to neuter your dog. I have had issues with that problem there. I met a Russian who has an unneutered German Shepard and once the dog proved dominance over my dog he now gets along with my dog. But the Russian seems to think rightly or not that neutering causes dogs to have hair loss and also leads to hip problems. I have walked with him and that dog attacks every dog we meet. Its O.K if the dog submits but when you get two powerful breeds together then there is a war. We met an aggressive Rottie and the Russian put his Shepard on a leash but after we went by he took his dog off leash and that shepard took off and attacked the Rottie. I felt for the young girl trying to break up the fight and control her Rottie. I also have a problem with a German Shepard in Ranchlands who always hits my dog hard. The owner knows it is a problem but does not solve it. That Shepard and a Pitbull got into it over a ball the other day and fur was flying. It would be hard to say that we should ban aggressive breeds like pitbulls and German Shepards but in the city maybe more written information should be given about what your dog is allowed to do and not do. We give the city the yearly fee so maybe some of it should come back into owner education.

Last edited by artie; 09-29-2012 at 01:34 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:04 PM
Banned

i agree with op about wanting to get info on the a-hole with the aggressive dog. i'm also wondering about the legality of posting his pic. the way he has. i would worry about the a-hole trying to have the op arrested or sued for posting his pic. the way he did.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
It would be hard to say that we should ban aggressive breeds like pitbulls and German Shepards but in the city maybe more written information should be given about what your dog is allowed to do and not do.
I grew up with different German Shepherds and Labs. The Germans were both bitches (fixed). They were more than willing to defend theirs (more so than defend themselves) but were never aggressive. Can't say I think that breed is aggressive, especially IF the owners have done their training properly.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Brew View Post
I grew up with different German Shepherds and Labs. The Germans were both bitches (fixed). They were more than willing to defend theirs (more so than defend themselves) but were never aggressive. Can't say I think that breed is aggressive, especially IF the owners have done their training properly.
You said it "if the owners have done their training properly" Ever notice some people get a puppy and all of a sudden they are a dog trainer. I myself wish I knew more about the actual science of dog behavior.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
i agree with op about wanting to get info on the a-hole with the aggressive dog. i'm also wondering about the legality of posting his pic. the way he has. i would worry about the a-hole trying to have the op arrested or sued for posting his pic. the way he did.
He didn't take the photo with a telephoto lens through the guys bedroom window, it was in a public place; therefore not an issue. It might make it onto a beer gut fetish site, but that's about it.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:25 PM
Gone Hunting

[QUOTE=CaberTosser;1627110]He didn't take the photo with a telephoto lens through the guys bedroom window, it was in a public place; therefore not an issue. It might make it onto a beer gut fetish site, but that's about it. exactly!!!
Old 09-29-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
He didn't take the photo with a telephoto lens through the guys bedroom window, it was in a public place; therefore not an issue. It might make it onto a beer gut fetish site, but that's about it.
ummm, i dont know about that... taking or having someone in a pic is one thing, but putting words with the pic and slandering said individual with no "actuall" proof is another thing.(like if I was a plumber and went to your house and fixed something, and you thought I was rude and decided to take my pic and post it all over the net saying what a butt plug Pat from Pats plumbing was.....) I would be careful with this one.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
i would worry about the a-hole trying to have the op arrested or sued for posting his pic. the way he did.

It's not illegal to take a picture of someone in a public place. Period.
Plus there was nothing libelous in Diver's post.
People crack me up with "Internet fear mongering".
Old 09-29-2012, 05:32 PM

Ok next AO meet up, we are all taking Duke for a walk. And treats.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-29-2012, 06:16 PM

Diver I havn't seen this advise posted yet so here goes, I would have headed back to the parking lot and called the police.
If you were to tell them there are serious dog attacks going on up there I am sure they would be interested. Make a formal complaint and at least there would be a file started in case this happens again.
In the meantime carry a nice heavy walking stick.
Good luck
Old 09-29-2012, 06:56 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by backpacker View Post
Good grief SH, the velocity of the spray will do no harm as it releases as a thick cloud and the concentration of capsaicin only increases the effect you are trying to inflict. Once sprayed, the mucous membranes will naturally react and flush away the capsaicin over time.
If it were me protecting my self or my pet, I would honestly not give a rats ass what it does to the offending dog.
Apparently you have a lot to learn about the various types of pepper spray and the spray cone they deliver. I'd explain it to you but honestly I don't have the energy. Good to see the peanut gallery alive and well. Not hard to see why so many guys are giving up on this board. It was just a suggestion to help keep AD from getting in a bind while still protecting himself and Duke. Sorry I offered the suggestion......over and out.

Last edited by sheephunter; 09-29-2012 at 07:01 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:20 PM

I'd do what I had to do, or whatever it took to protect my dog(s) from an unprovoked attack. No questions asked!

Lots of advice to choose from. Some course of action seems almost inevitable.

btw. ...is that "Teflon Jimmy" ??
Old 09-29-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donabb View Post
Diver I havn't seen this advise posted yet so here goes, I would have headed back to the parking lot and called the police.
If you were to tell them there are serious dog attacks going on up there I am sure they would be interested. Make a formal complaint and at least there would be a file started in case this happens again.
In the meantime carry a nice heavy walking stick.
Good luck
Probably should have called right then and there. Your right.

I'm being careful to stick to the issue and not talk about appearances and such. All I know is over 2000 people have seen this thread. Wouldn't surprise me if the people I'm trying to track down already know of this.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:15 PM
Banned

Didnt read all the pists or if suggested but their dogs are obviously kenel bred, so find a local afficianado of the breed and solicit kenels for help,, but in a friendly manner not mentioning dog attacks and such as it could make a kennel jittery.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:04 AM

I have a little dog, window warrior. In public he is a normal little guy, very friendly, would not hurt a flea. When we walk he is interested in other dogs but I tell him NO and he listens. I keep him on a leash when we walk, just to ensure the safey of other dogs. When we encounter bigger dogs I am the first to react, rein him in. If the other dog is leashed, no problem. If the other dog is not leashed I step in front of my killer dog and intercept, the altrication.
Just kidding, it has happend that a bigger dog is not leashed and is aggesisve, I do step in front of my killer. I would not hestiate to kill something that is threating a part of my family. When my wife walks him, she has a walking stick with her. Said walking stick , has a small nail in the end of it. Small pain in the bigger dog and he is gone. If these people don't realize their animals are a threat they need to see the results of the actions of their dogs. I would not hesitate to kill the aggesive dogs. If the owners needed a little attiude ajustment, so be it.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:20 AM

"Window Warrior".........I love it! Gots me one too.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:33 AM

I too have a pair of small dogs, as well as a lab. The lab has the brains and training to heel properly, the little dogs are all 'go' when they get off leash. This is why they stay leashed when we take them to the dog park, while the lab runs loose.

A couple years, we were doing just this, when I felt my westie hit the side of my leg. This is odd, he's the type of dog that will pull so hard his front legs lose contact with the ground. I turned to him, to see what he was running from, when I spotted a large rottie cross bearing down on him with teeth bared. I did my best Lui Pasaglia impression, and caught the dog square in the chest, hard enough to set his ass on the ground. Shortly after, a first generation Canadian, of the female Asian variety appeared, and proceeded to chew me out for kicking her dog. I pointed out that if it has aggression issues, it needs to be leashed, and that if I hadn't kicked her dog, circumstances would have been much worse for all of us.

My westie must have felt his pride was compromised, because a few weeks later, he got into it with a Great Pyrenees and managed to somehow grab its throat without taking any damage. There was nothing the Pyrenees could do. Fortunately the "white rat" as we call him, only bit for effect. Being that we were already friends with the other owners, we inspected our dogs for damage, then laughed it off.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:48 AM
Banned

Don't call the police. If the dog comes and attacks your dog, kick it or hit it with something. What's the guy gonna do, call the cops and tell them his dog attacked you and you defended yourself?

Most people are not hardened criminals, so he is not going to have some granduer scheme plotted out making him to be the victim.

The police are to busy responding to calls like this and harassing drivers to do any actual real work these days.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swifty View Post

My westie must have felt his pride was compromised, because a few weeks later, he got into it with a Great Pyrenees and managed to somehow grab its throat without taking any damage. There was nothing the Pyrenees could do. Fortunately the "white rat" as we call him, only bit for effect. Being that we were already friends with the other owners, we inspected our dogs for damage, then laughed it off.

I'm picturing a short fellow hanging off of Swifty's neck by one hand, while holding in his other hand a delicious, icy mojito.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
"Window Warrior".........I love it! Gots me one too.
I have 3 ranging from 6.5 -15 lbs.
Old dogs...
One has cataracts, is basically deaf and has a heart murmur.
Another has about 4 teeth left in her head.
You get the picture....

Yet somehow they've managed to make the Great Dane next door their b**ch.

I suspect that its just worried it would choke on them...
Old 09-30-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I'm picturing a short fellow hanging off of Swifty's neck by one hand, while holding in his other hand a delicious, icy mojito.
That was last weekend
Old 10-03-2012, 03:19 AM

Sorry to hear about what happened. All those saying they would kick or kill the dog no matter what is stupid and wrong! It's not the dogs fault its the owners, grab a stick or boot them, there the ones who deserve it. Hope you catch them and they loose there dogs to a good home where some will take care of them properly! Because people who have aggresive dogs trained them to be that way intenionally or not!
Old 10-03-2012, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verminator View Post
All those saying they would kick or kill the dog no matter what is stupid and wrong!
Sorry I disagree with that. If you or your dog is under attack, it doesn't matter if it is the owner's fault or the dog's fault - you have to respond to it. It also may provide the dog some training not to repeat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by verminator View Post
It's not the dogs fault its the owners, grab a stick or boot them, there the ones who deserve it. ..... Because people who have aggresive dogs trained them to be that way intenionally or not!
I believe that dogs have a range of temperaments and some are more aggressive than others. Certainly the owner's have to take responsibility for either (a) not training the dog to be less aggressive or (b) for training them to be aggressive. Regardless, they have a responsibility to control their dog and if it's aggressive then they need to keep it on a leash.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipper Billy View Post
Sorry I disagree with that. If you or your dog is under attack, it doesn't matter if it is the owner's fault or the dog's fault - you have to respond to it. It also may provide the dog some training not to repeat.

I believe that dogs have a range of temperaments and some are more aggressive than others. Certainly the owner's have to take responsibility for either (a) not training the dog to be less aggressive or (b) for training them to be aggressive. Regardless, they have a responsibility to control their dog and if it's aggressive then they need to keep it on a leash.
x2. what you said.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Cops won't come for stuff like that. Did think about calling bylaw, but I had my dog with no injuries, other than the scar from the previous attack, and my word against two. And bylaw response on a Friday afternoon is just steller I am sure.

If I get a call from the p c l workers, or get a pm from someone that has had a similar experience then I will make a formal complaint.

I will be watching for them as I am up there nearly every day.
The problem lies in the fact that you didn't report it. As far as the legal point of it the situation didnt happen if it wasnt documented. Sometimes its not an offence that can be charged the first time but if documented then if or more likely when it happens again it shows a pattern that can then be followed up on.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:40 AM

so have you seen the problem owners up there lately
Old 10-03-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman75 View Post
The problem lies in the fact that you didn't report it. As far as the legal point of it the situation didnt happen if it wasnt documented. Sometimes its not an offence that can be charged the first time but if documented then if or more likely when it happens again it shows a pattern that can then be followed up on.
Fair enough, will go try to make a police report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
so have you seen the problem owners up there lately
Nothing yet. I've been away for a few days working out of Town, and my wife usually walks him elsewhere.

Tags
calgary, dog walker, john laurie blvd, nose hill park