Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-24-2012, 11:15 AM

What time of day was it, and what was the temperature like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Eldon View Post
I was elk hunting down at Suffield this month and found a small (~ 16”) rattler on a road. At first it was coiled, rattling and ready to strike. But after about ten minutes (while I took a couple poor pics on my cell phone), it uncoiled and would barely move when poked. Do rattlers play dead very often? I began wondering if maybe it had been “truck struck” before I got there.

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 09-24-2012, 11:20 AM

anyone ever been bit?? I have..lol...about 2 or 3 summers abo in the river bottom in lethbridge...it got pretty nasty....
Old 09-24-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClash View Post
anyone ever been bit?? I have..lol...about 2 or 3 summers abo in the river bottom in lethbridge...it got pretty nasty....
Please tell us more, including photos if you have.

Did you receive antivenin? How many vials? Did the attending doc seem to know what they were doing?

How did the bite happen?

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 09-24-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClash View Post
I saw a show about snakebite in the US, that said treatment cost was in the six figures. Anti venom is very pricey.

Where'd you get bit? Hand?
Old 09-24-2012, 11:47 AM

would have been 3 summers ago....was in a stretch of very very hot dry weather. i was at the northside dog park walking my dogs. they were doing in the river cooling off and then i called them back up to head back to my vehicle.

Instead of walking on the path I took a little short cut through some small bushes etc...i felt a smack and a little sharp pain on the back of my left calf...I looked back right away but didn't see anything...however there was a little drop
of blood on my calf..i thought nothing of it..thought maybe i stepped on a stick and it flipped up and hit me..I am sorta clumsy..so it wouldn't be surprising to have happened

I returned home and went about my afternoon/evening...I started to feel a bit nauseous and kind of achy in my joints..I thought I may have been catching a cold but pretty much ignored it...I did notice my calf felt a bit sore..almost like a sunburn type of a feel to it..again..ignored it lol

went to bed at about 11pm...by 2 am i was in a full sweat and fever and sore and my leg had swollen up a bit....I was trying to be sneaky and not wake my wife (she is a nurse and I hate going to the dr lol) but she woke up. I had her get a magnifying glass and examine the wound..and sure enough..two clear puncture wounds...off to the ER we went.

At the ER I was treated great. The lady DR that examined me apparently had/has worked extensively with snakes and snake bites etc. She confirmed that she also thought it was a snake bite. They ran blood tests and did find rattle snake venom in my blood stream...however only in trace/small amounts..not enough to warrant anti-venin according to her. She prescribed an oral antibiotic I believe...I took them and it ran its course. The wound got really puffy and oozy...but the pain subsided..I have a small scar now...but I still remain the coolest uncle/dad because I got bit by a rattle snake lol.

The Dr hypothesized that I disturbed a very young snake..which is why I did not hear a rattle at all...she also told me that the small amount of venom in me was not unusual for the type of snakes found in the area. That bites are often "dry" ...I am no snake expert so I have no idea if she was correct.

I will try to find the pics...

Old 09-24-2012, 12:33 PM

Awesome!

Yes, bites are often dry! She is correct.

I guess the ground you were walking was sloped and uneven, because a little rattlesnake couldn't have reached so far up your leg if it was at the same elevation as your foot.

That's an excellent story, and I'm rather impressed by the attending physician too.

Thanks for sharing!

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 09-24-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCanuck View Post
I saw a show about snakebite in the US, that said treatment cost was in the six figures. Anti venom is very pricey.

Where'd you get bit? Hand?
That anti venom on one show out of florida is 2400 a vial and they said for 1 kid they treated it was like 21 vials over 36 hours.

$2400

$50400 just for the anti- venom
Old 09-24-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arachnodisiac View Post
Awesome!

Yes, bites are often dry! She is correct.

I guess the ground you were walking was sloped and uneven, because a little rattlesnake couldn't have reached so far up your leg if it was at the same elevation as your foot.

That's an excellent story, and I'm rather impressed by the attending physician too.

Thanks for sharing!

yup un-even ground for sure
Old 09-24-2012, 01:54 PM

Alberta Health Services covers it here. We generally pay less for it than the Americans do, but it's still pricey.
The initial dose is six vials, and it can go up from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingMOM View Post
That anti venom on one show out of florida is 2400 a vial and they said for 1 kid they treated it was like 21 vials over 36 hours.

$2400

$50400 just for the anti- venom

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 09-24-2012, 02:13 PM

Default Rattler playing dead?

It was about 11:00 AM and 25C. when the snake seemed to be fading out.
Thanks for any thoughts,
Eldon
Old 09-24-2012, 02:48 PM

Default Creepy Snake!

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_c3#...ded-snake.whns
Old 09-24-2012, 02:51 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJD0LfS4hO0

Eventhough the venom is not from a rattlesnake. Still pretty neat what venom does to blood.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:57 PM

Default Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270WinMag View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJD0LfS4hO0

Eventhough the venom is not from a rattlesnake. Still pretty neat what venom does to blood.
Unreal! Nasty snake! Maybe Arach should be collecting the Venom for a few extra bucks..
Old 09-24-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Eldon View Post
It was about 11:00 AM and 25C. when the snake seemed to be fading out.
Thanks for any thoughts,
Eldon
They don't play dead, so maybe injured, but it could have just been soaking up some heat after a cool night.
Cold snakes are sluggish and appear sort of lazy.
Hard to say!

Russell's viper are on my bucket list - I just hope they won't be the last item I strike off!

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 09-24-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arachnodisiac View Post
Alberta Health Services covers it here. We generally pay less for it than the Americans do, but it's still pricey.
The initial dose is six vials, and it can go up from there.
Problem is, not a lot of Alberta hospitals are stocking it anymore, due to cost and very finite shelf-life.

Antivenins range in price, those for Crotalids tend to be on the cheaper side.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:51 PM

Years ago, as a soldier I was working in Meaford CFTA. We came across a couple of neonate Mississauga rattlers. They were maybe 6" long but very feisty for their size. I handled them with heavy gloves, and they settled down quite soon.

Most people who are bit by rattlers, are young men. LOL.

I think it was last year I read that Ontario is not stocking anti venom as it is too expensive. Apparently it is manufactured in New Zealand.

I would think prairie rattler anti venom is more available, but I would still refrain from getting too close to them. Definitely an animal to be enjoyed from a distance.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toirtis View Post
Problem is, not a lot of Alberta hospitals are stocking it anymore, due to cost and very finite shelf-life.

Antivenins range in price, those for Crotalids tend to be on the cheaper side.
I spoke with Alberta Health Services just in the last few weeks for a story I was doing, and CroFab is kept at Calgary, Lethbridge, and Medicine Hat as well as at Swift Current in Saskatchewan.

The shelf life is 30 months.

The smaller hospitals don't need to carry it because they are close enough, and C. viridis would likely only be fatal from anaphylaxis - and antivenin couldn't manage that anyway. Plus, envenomations are often treated incorrectly and there are far too many fascitomies performed by less experienced doctors. It's nice when you have four larger centres with some good practical experience with the latest protocol.

I think we're actually pretty well-positioned.

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 09-24-2012, 08:55 PM

Totally stats show young men, often drinking and trying to pick up or a kill the snake for a usually female audience are often the "victims"!

Your saugs out East use the same antivenin. I know in 2006 there were shortages, but Ontario also has a private antivenin bank too, and is so close to the U.S. (which stocks a lot of it) that I can't imagine someone actually needing it and going without. Hopefully they are stocking more of it now to avoid that same scenario from happening again.

Quote:
Years ago, as a soldier I was working in Meaford CFTA. We came across a couple of neonate Mississauga rattlers. They were maybe 6" long but very feisty for their size. I handled them with heavy gloves, and they settled down quite soon.

I think it was last year I read that Ontario is not stocking anti venom as it is too expensive. Apparently it is manufactured in New Zealand.

I would think prairie rattler anti venom is more available, but I would still refrain from getting too close to them. Definitely an animal to be enjoyed from a distance.

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 09-24-2012, 10:35 PM

Default anyone?

IM just wondering what the furthest north [in this province]a rattler or even a bull snake has been spotted. Ive personally only seen rattlers south of the 49th and have never seen a bull snake...curious hyjacker chain
Old 09-25-2012, 06:32 AM

Any ideas how to get over a phobia of snakes?

I rode bulls and bucking horses for 15 years, fought bulls for 10 years, guided hunters now for 22 years (a few grizzly hunts as well), and even garter snakes freak me out, lol.

Had a hard time even watching them on tv for years but not as bad now.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheep nut View Post

I rode bulls and bucking horses for 15 years, fought bulls for 10 years, guided hunters now for 22 years (a few grizzly hunts as well), and even garter snakes freak me out, lol.

I'll send you a pm in the near future!

As for how far north, rattlers' most norther range is just south of Oyen, and bulls will go a bit further. (That's just the general rule.)

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 09-25-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:

Most have been drinking....and stats back that up.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheep nut View Post

Fairly easy for many people, actually...I have helped hundreds over phobia....only a very small handful are severe enough that they never do.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chain2 View Post
IM just wondering what the furthest north [in this province]a rattler or even a bull snake has been spotted. Ive personally only seen rattlers south of the 49th and have never seen a bull snake...curious hyjacker chain
There used to be a couple of Pituophis catenifer sayi hibernacula just outside of Trochu.

Based on APR's data, the most northerly records of Crotalus viridis viridis are about 50km north of Oyen.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:43 PM

can I sneak in one more snake pic? far cry from a rattler, but it was a wiggler found it next to a local lake on the dam last night

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 09-27-2012, 11:36 PM

Really interesting thread. Thanks for sharing

Joe
Old 09-28-2012, 12:33 AM

Wayne, keep 'em coming!

I can't get out herping right now, so I am living vicariously through everyone else...

Really hope I can go once more before the season is over though!

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 09-28-2012, 08:41 AM

Canada Day at Historic Dunvegan Provincial Park.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:34 PM

Here's a fella we say south of Medicine Hat. Buddy took the pic. To scared to get outta the truck. I reach for the door handle and he drives forward.
About 20yrs ago were out bowhunting. He's walking back to the truck gets tagged by a rattler in the boot. It's still really cool in the morning the snakes oil is still thick. He panics going nuts. Had his pants and both boots off looking for a bite Good times
Leroy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg !cid_31627A7031864DFDB0B07D98C5B1B688@leroypc.jpg (117.9 KB, 43 views)
Old 09-28-2012, 10:53 PM

When I worked by Jenner, I used to drive north to get home to Hanna and would occasianly run over a rattlesnake suntanning on the highway.