Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-09-2019, 09:31 AM

good news going into the break, we play 4 out of 5 teams that are on there back to backs so no excuses
Old 01-09-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
That is all true. And if you can guarantee Rittich doesn't get injured it's a great idea to sit on Smith, and only play him as you suggest to keep Rittich fresh. But God help them if Rittich gets hurt. Last time, he tweaked his knee a bit against Sharks. What happens if those Hateful Ducks decide to goon Rittich and crash him, just because, you know, Ducks? That's a world of hurt. You'd feel ok with Smith #1 and Gillies #2 going into playoffs? That'll end poorly. Gillies doesn't exactly have stellar numbers in the A at the moment....the idea makes me cringe.

Yes, I'd trade an asset for a GT (though I agree, I don't really want another old guy, hence my harping about Delia), but since I'm not being consulted by Tre it doesn't really matter....

But it makes me nervous. We are totally fine though, as long as Rittich stays healthy. I'd just like a bit of insurance, it has been a long time since the flames had a team that could compete like this.
I'm with Twisted on this...even looking at the players when Smith is starting...kinda like "Well, we're going to score four goals and still lose (again)" look.
Simmons would be a nice addition.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:50 AM

Default Flames

Quote:
That is all true. And if you can guarantee Rittich doesn't get injured it's a great idea to sit on Smith, and only play him as you suggest to keep Rittich fresh. But God help them if Rittich gets hurt. Last time, he tweaked his knee a bit against Sharks. What happens if those Hateful Ducks decide to goon Rittich and crash him, just because, you know, Ducks? That's a world of hurt. You'd feel ok with Smith #1 and Gillies #2 going into playoffs? That'll end poorly. Gillies doesn't exactly have stellar numbers in the A at the moment....the idea makes me cringe.

Yes, I'd trade an asset for a GT (though I agree, I don't really want another old guy, hence my harping about Delia), but since I'm not being consulted by Tre it doesn't really matter....

But it makes me nervous. We are totally fine though, as long as Rittich stays healthy. I'd just like a bit of insurance, it has been a long time since the flames had a team that could compete like this.
Not flying to disagree with you, just saying, until there is a proven tender available, we can’t jump the gun.
Read on another forum that Dell , May become available.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:52 AM

Be interesting to see what Treveling does come trade deadline, been sitting top 2-3 team in the league a while here and looking good doing it mostly. If it ain't broke don't fix it?? Or do we address the shaky Smith as playoffs are almost for certain.. Will be a wild ride and I'm in it for the long haul.
Go Flames !!!!!
Old 01-09-2019, 09:55 AM

To be honest, I really am surprised they haven't given Gilles a chance in net...sure his numbers in the AHL aren't spectacular but look what happened with Rittich.
And can he really be worse than Smith??
Old 01-09-2019, 10:01 AM

Default Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoytCRX32 View Post
To be honest, I really am surprised they haven't given Gilles a chance in net...sure his numbers in the AHL aren't spectacular but look what happened with Rittich.
And can he really be worse than Smith??
I think, you only see him, if the is no other alternative. I don’t think they have faith in him. I would like to somehow get Delia into the system.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurly View Post
I think, you only see him, if the is no other alternative. I don’t think they have faith in him. I would like to somehow get Delia into the system.
That would be very nice, but I can't see Chicago letting him go.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:31 AM

Default Flames

Sounds like Valmaki is skating again. Good news, that he is back on his feet.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:44 AM

Default Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoytCRX32 View Post
That would be very nice, but I can't see Chicago letting him go.
The one wrinkle may be Collin Delia. Delia presents a dilemma to Stan Bowman as Cam Ward has a no-movement clause.

The above was just a small clip taken from today’s hockey rumours.
Maybe there is hope yet.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:53 AM

Cool! We have a Delia bandwagon going now!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-09-2019, 12:07 PM

they can bury Delia in the minors lol. if Crawford doesn't come back its an easy. Trust me, don't like being a naysayer, I get why you like him, I do to. just don't see it. one time I hope im wrong but don't think so
Old 01-09-2019, 12:35 PM
Banned

I just got a really nice surprise. I was invited to tonights game!
Should be a good game. Though I do hate the first game at home after a road trip game. Usually its a good bet to bet against the home team. The Flames will have a extra challenge for sure.

BSD is in-between the pipes!
Frolik got bumped to the 2nd line with Sam going down to the 3rd.

Should be a good one!!
Old 01-09-2019, 02:38 PM

Sounds like Varlamov will be starting. He hasn't been playing well of late, going back to 3rd December, he's been in 7 games and been in the .700 (1) and .800 (4) more than the .900 (2). Maybe its not exiting, but I'd be okay with the Flames scoring as many, or more, than the Jets did.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Sounds like Varlamov will be starting. He hasn't been playing well of late, going back to 3rd December, he's been in 7 games and been in the .700 (1) and .800 (4) more than the .900 (2). Maybe its not exiting, but I'd be okay with the Flames scoring as many, or more, than the Jets did.
My pool would like this as well. Johnny Monny and Chucky light ot up.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-09-2019, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post
they can bury Delia in the minors lol. if Crawford doesn't come back its an easy. Trust me, don't like being a naysayer, I get why you like him, I do to. just don't see it. one time I hope im wrong but don't think so
I think you are completely right, but one can dream.....

I've seen him play 3 times now, the first time was against Colorado and I actually texted my friend who is a Hawks fan, 'Who is this poor kid? MacKinnon and Rantinen are gonna light him up and you will never see him again....'

Boy was I wrong! He has impressed me every time I've seen him. I expect he may have a good career ahead of him, if he stays healthy and can deal with the mental stress of it all....Sure would like him on the Flames.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-09-2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:
I think you are completely right, but one can dream.....

I've seen him play 3 times now, the first time was against Colorado and I actually texted my friend who is a Hawks fan, 'Who is this poor kid? MacKinnon and Rantinen are gonna light him up and you will never see him again....'

Boy was I wrong! He has impressed me every time I've seen him. I expect he may have a good career ahead of him, if he stays healthy and can deal with the mental stress of it all....Sure would like him on the Flames.
Quite a sorry on the kid... I believe he start as a roller hockey goalie and put ice skate on very late in life.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:21 PM

Default Flames

Hope we see a good effort tonight in all 3 periods.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:37 PM
Banned

God I love these seats!!!?
Old 01-09-2019, 07:38 PM

I hate you Jamie.

Go Flames Go!!

Old 01-09-2019, 07:40 PM

Default Rumour

Anybody see the latest rumour on hockey buzz
Ranger mulling over great offer from flames for Zuccorello
I don’t know anything about this guy. Any good?

Last edited by spurly; 01-09-2019 at 07:48 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:46 PM

Whooop!!! Backs! 1-0 early!

Old 01-09-2019, 07:52 PM

Booooyaaaaah!!!! Janks!! 2-0!! Whooop!!

Default Flames

Nice

While searching the net for more info regarding that rumor, I came across this:

"Flames GM Brad Treliving and Michael Frolik had to know that agent Allen Walsh was going to send out the tweet as he always consults the player or talks to the team first. The Flames won’t trade Frolik unless it improves them by acquiring a player or giving them extra assets to them move to improve."

Neal, got a point?!?

At face value I don't like the Zuccarello deal unless we aren't giving up much to get him. He's small, a RW (pushing Neil to the 4th line?), and isn't having a great season. I don't really see the advantage unless Frolik is leaving.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:55 PM

Sweet!

They were interviewing Hitchcock last night and he was of the opinion the advantage of playing a team on the back-to-back starts wearing off, and then starts slowing shifting to the team the played the night before, after about 10 minutes. Nice to see us taking full advantage.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:13 PM

That's a couple Avs goals that shouldn't have happened....all tied up, I hate those goals in the last seconds of a period. Dammit!

Old 01-09-2019, 08:16 PM

Default Flames

Quote:
That's a couple Avs goals that shouldn't have happened....all tied up, I hate those goals in the last seconds of a period. Dammit!
Yup, those are hard to come back from.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurly View Post
Yup, those are hard to come back from.
I'm not worried on this one though, it's early, and Flames are moving their feet. Just need to stop with the brain fart turn overs. Avs looked pretty good in the first, but they are tired from playing last night, and Flames are going to put them to bed.

We got dis!

Old 01-09-2019, 08:40 PM

Flames are lucky to have 2.... 5 shots on net almost mid point? Pick it up!
Old 01-09-2019, 08:45 PM

Some seriously sloppy play by Flames, they need a good arse chewing by Peterson!