Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-09-2014, 02:39 PM

Default yote prices

Buddy of mine has these 6 yotes all shot late November I thot they looked pretty good color ...pic isnt very great but what are your estimates of what he may get for these?

any estimates much appreciated gents
thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0619.jpg (35.3 KB, 261 views)
Old 12-09-2014, 05:41 PM

Condition of the skin means as much as the color. they dont look like pales to me perhaps gray brown. heads and perhaps bodies look contorted as if not stretched properly but it could also mean connecting tissue (vellum) was not removed in fleshing operation.. If this is case they will continue to twist and contort as the vellum dries and be downgraded and may grease burn. Proper fleshing and stretching on standard board brings good money everything else gets downgraded.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:53 PM

So when guys pay $12-20 for wash, flesh and stretch. Does that include tanning? Or is something that has to be done still or is it not done at all? I really want to try my hand at taking some coyotes this year but wanna make sure if I pay for the stretching that I can use the hide after
Old 12-09-2014, 06:17 PM
Banned

The pelts look nice and prime to me but I don't know about the prep work and there's no way of seeing if the bellies are rubbed. The ear cartilage is supposed to come out of the ears and the 3rd from the left doesn't look like it was centered on the board. I'm not sure what's going on with the middle one. Still, I think that the pelts have value but I don't have enough experience to guess at what they will bring at auction. Just as a wild guess I'm going to say an $80 average. Good luck to your buddy.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
So when guys pay $12-20 for wash, flesh and stretch. Does that include tanning?
No, you'd have to pay to get it tanned or do it yourself.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:39 PM

Don't forget that the tails also need to be split to dry properly ! Tails almost look short to me ! Odd , hope it works out for you !
Old 12-09-2014, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
No, you'd have to pay to get it tanned or do it yourself.

Ok so if you wanted to use the pelt for something like mitts or boots or something. Would you make those first and then tan them or tan first then make what you want? Also what does tanning cost? And do the places that stretch also tan or would I have to take it somewhere else.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Ok so if you wanted to use the pelt for something like mitts or boots or something. Would you make those first and then tan them or tan first then make what you want? Also what does tanning cost? And do the places that stretch also tan or would I have to take it somewhere else.
You'll have to get the coyote tanned before the pelt can be used for mitts or boots.

I don't know anything about commercial tanning costs, etc but I'm sure that someone will be along shortly to help you out with that info.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:55 PM

Thanks a bunch for your info already.
I really want to learn how to do this stuff myself. But the wife doesn't like the idea of hunting as it is. Let alone skins stretching around the house
Old 12-09-2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
I really want to learn how to do this stuff myself. But the wife doesn't like the idea of hunting as it is. Let alone skins stretching around the house
I'd be more concerned about the carcasses outside the garage lol. It's a good thing I have good neighbours.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Contact these guys to get prices and the other info:

https://plus.google.com/116721482784...ut?gl=ca&hl=en

I hear you about the Wife, LOL! Mine came around a bit after awhile but initially she wasn't too crazy about me trapping out of our home. I think that building a skinning shack in the back that she doesn't have to go into helped. Out of sight, out of mind.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:05 PM

I think a coyote is about$100 to get tanned. You don't need it stretched if you are taking it to the tannery. Some tannery's will flesh the hide for you. ( at a fee). So catch one and skin. Then freeze and take to tannery. Please confirm with tannery. I used western a couple years ago. All I did was skin it and they took care of the rest.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:44 AM

Nice looking hides , but seem a touch wide ,maybe I'm wrong but the middle one looks about right to me. Hope they sell good .