Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-17-2019, 02:40 PM

Default New Job for my daughter

So my second oldest has been working as a reporter/anchor for a few years, she started in Lloydminster, went to CKPG in Prince George, then to work at KAAL (ABC) in Rochester MN. Her contract was coming up for renewal, but she wanted to keep moving on. She has strong ideas about what she wants to do.

She posted her demo, and got offers from Indiana, Savanna GA, Oregon, California...but she got the job she wanted!

She will be starting for KOLD TV (FOX) in mid October.....in Tucson AZ! Bigger market, more money, lower taxes, and AZ! She is really pleased!

As are we, now we will have someplace to visit when we get sick of the snow. I may even look at buying a small place and renting to her....

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 08-17-2019, 02:56 PM
Banned

Nice to see your kids have success. Good Job and Congrats
Old 08-17-2019, 04:28 PM
AO Sponsor

Awesome bud! I went to Arizona for my first time this past March and loved it. Always nice to see our kids achieving goals!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 08-17-2019, 04:51 PM
Gone Hunting

Congrats to her!! Tucson is a great city!!
Old 08-17-2019, 05:31 PM

Awesome good for her. Love it when they set a goal and it works out. Heading to AZ mid October doesn't sound to horrible either.
Maybe catch a Flames game against the Yotes..
Old 08-17-2019, 06:38 PM

I think we will head down mid January for a Few weeks....a month? Will probably gain 20 on the food!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 08-17-2019, 06:41 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I think we will head down mid January for a Few weeks....a month? Will probably gain 20 on the food!
Don't forget to check out Tombstone Az., short drive from Tucson....then go back down in March for spring training baseball
Old 08-17-2019, 07:23 PM

Talking

Very cool mister. Rent her a place lol

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 08-17-2019, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
Don't forget to check out Tombstone Az., short drive from Tucson....then go back down in March for spring training baseball
Yep, it's on the list, with a few other things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Very cool mister. Rent her a place lol
We are going to check it out, may actually buy a small place, if she is going to pay rent anyway she may as well pay part of a mortgage for me...and then we have a place to stay too.

Old 08-17-2019, 07:50 PM

Default Congrats!

TC, that is really great. She is to be commended. You and the Mrs must be proud, and deservedly so!

Arizona and a raise. Nice.
Old 08-17-2019, 07:53 PM

Congrats to your daughter. It’s good to hear when a young persons plan comes together. Congrats to you and Mrs. Twisted as well. Good job on raising your daughter.

BW
Old 08-17-2019, 08:15 PM

Awsome!
Your a great dad and obviously u raised her well.

Congrats!

I hope all my kids wind up that driven and successful.

Pour yourself one. Sit with a nice view. Toast yourself.

You deserve it.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 08-17-2019, 08:30 PM

Thanks Bessie, and everyone for the kind words. We are very proud of her. Usually...

Old 08-17-2019, 09:12 PM

Very good news

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB
Old 08-18-2019, 05:01 AM
Banned

Sorry, but if you really think about it, nobody other than yourself really is interested.
Old 08-18-2019, 07:53 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortsideK View Post
Sorry, but if you really think about it, nobody other than yourself really is interested.
Maybe go back to bed and try getting up on the other side of it.. What a stupid comment.
Old 08-18-2019, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
maybe go back to bed and try getting up on the other side of it.. What a stupid comment.
x2

bw
Old 08-18-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Clearly you’re not thinking whatsoever because many of us do care, and those that are indifferent can just read other threads and keep their grumpy attitudes to themselves when posting at 5 am. . It takes a really special kind of person to kick sand in his face for no reason whatsoever. Perhaps you’re stressed out with life or you typed that while you were drinking and grumpy, but it was a really ignorant contribution. Speaking for everyone, we’d much rather have Twisted’s contributions here compared to yours if that’s the type of person you are. We’ve heard tales of his daughter and her achievements before and it’s always good to hear, and many of us are parents so we can relate to that sense of pride one has for their kids. Most of us here have what’s known as a sense of community and brotherhood and that involves not being obnoxious and ignorant like this post of yours was. You should really consider manning up and apologizing.

Sometimes it’s best to keep your mouth (or keyboard) shut and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt.

Twisted, please keep us in the loop on your progeny’s successes! Good for her

Last edited by CaberTosser; 08-18-2019 at 09:20 AM.
Old 08-18-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Clearly you’re not thinking whatsoever because many of us do care, and those that are indifferent can just read other threads. It takes a really special kind of person to kick sand in his face for no reason whatsoever. Perhaps your life sucks or you typed that while you were drinking and grumpy, but it was a really ignorant contribution. Speaking for everyone, we’d rather have Twisted’s contributions here compared to yours if that’s the type of person you are. We’ve heard tales of his daughter and her achievements before and it’s always good to hear. Most of us here have what’s known as a sense of community and brotherhood and that involves not being obnoxious and ignorant like this post of yours was.

Sometimes it’s best to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt.
Well said, congrats to your Daughter TC! And congrats to you on a new place to get away to

LC
Old 08-18-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
According to consensus it appears that you have been found lacking
Old 08-18-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Sorry, But if you really think about it, Nobody other than yourself is really interested in your opinion.

Seeing our kids be successful in this world means more to most than people like you could imagine.
Old 08-18-2019, 09:46 AM

Congrats.
Old 08-18-2019, 10:33 AM

Wow, excellent choice by her! Like most here I am very happy she has found a path of interest that has opened many doors. Wish I had chosen something like that, she did well!
Old 08-18-2019, 10:37 AM

Twisted, congrats to your daughter, and you and your wife as parents! My kiddos are young yet, but it must feel so good to see your grown children succeeding in life.

SK, you are a toxic personality. A brief glance thru your post history reveals a miserable human being, trying to drag others down to his level. Hope you can find help for that. Were I a Mod, you'd be perma-banned.

Quote:
Old 08-18-2019, 11:23 AM

It is nice when things come together for people who put effort into opening doors for themselves.

TC- Happy to hear your daughter is on a good path and exciting new direction. Sad to hear she will be further away from you and your family.

It is good to consider buying a property but make sure she wants to stick around there first. It maybe just one more stepping stone for her. If she has strong ideas of her direction maybe Australia, Europe, or somewhere else on the globe will be her place. Sometimes younger people travel the world to find themselves and but find home right where they left it.

And I naively say this so don't get me wrong. I have not been to Arizona. And I am not fear mongering. Only saying as a father myself... consider getting your daughter a firearms course down there and membership to a range. Then she, and you, could sleep a little better. The US seems to have a very active gunslinging culture and her trade is front line stuff.

Hope she likes a hot climate. It can get mighty hot down there.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 08-18-2019, 11:49 AM

Again thanks everyone....other than that one guy that you all ratioed so good that I won't even bother...

Red Bullets, thanks for advice. Whether she stays in Tucson, or goes to Phoenix later as shed like to, we were already considering a place in AZ, so will investigate and see how we like it. Better to pay a mortgage than rent in the right market, homework to do on the matter for sure.

Old 08-18-2019, 01:05 PM

Congrats to your daughter, excellent career progression, and to you and the Mrs for raising her right.

Property in Arizona is a good idea, lots of Canadians own property there. The current exchange rate is not fun but you still get WAY more house or Condo for the same price Canadian than you can ever find here.

Three things, property taxes can vary from next to nothing to completely ridiculous within a couple of miles so check out property, school and other levies before buying. Other thing is the zoning laws down there are pretty wide open. If you buy where there is undeveloped land pretty much anything can go in beside you. Look for areas that are already built up or find some place that borders on land that cannot EVER be developed if you want some open spaces around you.

Final point, earning rent in the states makes it taxable there and here, without going into all the ins and outs of cross border taxation, consider putting your daughter on the title, have her pay the mortgage as one of the owners. Owner occupied also helps with some of the issues for property, state, federal and sales taxation and if she can qualify with you guys the mortgage interest is deductible against here income in the States, whereas rent is not.

Talk to a good accountant in the States and make sure you use a Realtor experienced in selling property to Canadians, there are a number of expats in the Real Estate business there.
Old 08-18-2019, 01:58 PM

Thanks for all that good info Dean, much appreciated! Good to have input like that from people with knowledge on the subject. TC

Old 08-18-2019, 07:23 PM

'Parenting is a heroic act, done properly...'

Edna. Incredibles II....

just watching with my kids. Love that show.

Old 08-18-2019, 07:41 PM

Default RE: New Job for my daughter

A huge congrats to your daughter....my daughter is 20 and it's a tough go out there for these kids....so encouraging to see that her hard work and perseverance is paying off....and in Arizona no less! We LOVE Arizona.