Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-11-2019, 11:35 PM

Default Where do you buy your factory ammo?

Howdy everyone.

Was wondering where do you guys buy your factory ammo. Looking for the best prices, really.

Thanks.
Old 08-12-2019, 06:38 AM

I buy very little factory ammo, but when I do I spend my money at P&D. Price shopping to save a buck or two generally takes you to the big box stores which is why the smaller places are disappearing. Just my 2 cents.

Craig

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
Old 08-12-2019, 08:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedub View Post
I buy very little factory ammo, but when I do I spend my money at P&D. Price shopping to save a buck or two generally takes you to the big box stores which is why the smaller places are disappearing. Just my 2 cents.

Craig

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
P&D as well.
And their pricing seems pretty good most of the time. Bought a Henry in 30-30 a year ago that they had to special order...was $75 cheaper than the one Cabela's had on the shelf.
And as well they usually know what they are talking about...I've heard some pretty ridiculous statements from staff at both Canadian Tire and Cabela's.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:48 PM

I agree, if I bought a bow now and then, I wouldn’t have cared either. But say I want to buy 10+ boxes of .243 and I know that I can buy them online for $15 less per box than in any local store, why would I spend extra $150+ buying it locally? For $10-20 I would not have cared. $150 is quite bit of change for me.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:25 PM

I don't buy a great deal of factory ammunition, just rimfire, and some shot shells, but I purchase from Prophet River whenever possible.
Old 08-12-2019, 03:00 PM

Usually the only factory loaded ammo I buy is .22 rimfire and 9mm pistol ammo, so I usually try to keep a decent stock on hand and order when it's on sale. Tenda in Ontario has some good sales, and I usually pick up CCI Mini-Mag Ammo when it's on sale at Bass Pro or Cabela's as I don't shoot huge quantities of it. I'll order 9mm when free shipping applies and it's on sale.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:13 PM

This answer probably won't help the OP, but here's how I do things.

Factory ammo~too heavy to ship efficiently if any volume is involved, so as a rule...I only buy it locally. I don't shoot pistols or ARs, so I have no need for high volumes of inconsistent/throw-away ammo being shot at close ranges. It's all those disciplines require. Were that not the case, I'd be taking advantage of sales that Tenda offer, or other sponsors. (=buy enough/free or cheap shipping)

Rimfire~I buy, and buy it often locally. I know which stores have the brands/types I like to play with...so about every month, I use that as an excuse to visit gun shops. That way I can drool over nice guns/scopes...and not leave TOTALLY empty handed. lol

Shotgun~I try to buy target loads (also used for grouse) every time I'm in a gun store, even if I have no clays/grouse planned. When I take my boys out for clays, they really gobble through it. So, @ $7 a box or so, I'll grab a case of 10 boxes..but sometimes maybe just a couple of loose boxes to add to the small pile at home. Even that way, it'll almost guarantee we can shoot to our hearts content, and I'll still have a few hundred rounds at home just in case.

Centerfire~I'm too frugal to target shoot with centerfire ammo, but I mostly hand load for my 2 rifles anyway. My 17 Hornet shoots factory ammo so well that I basically stopped working up loads for it. Will get back on that this fall/winter...as it might be fun to use that for some target shooting. Sure doesn't use much powder!

As for what the OP is wanting to do (multiple boxes of .243)~I'd find the best price you can from dealers/online sources...then ask your local gun shop if they can match. I think gun shops get lots of inquiries from "tire-kickers"...so the outcome can be very different if you know your local store has it, you have proof of a lower price (link/flyer)...and ask the question with a pile of cash in your hand. As a friend of mine always said; "money talks, bulls**t walks". lol Margins can be low on some items, so I often find it persuasive to pick a time when you need something else (magazine, cleaning supplies, whatever) and grab that at the same time. Stores can be flexible on one item if they know they can get full margins on something else...and actually make the sale.
Old 08-14-2019, 04:49 PM

trade ex Canada online best prices i have seen
Old 08-14-2019, 05:26 PM

Swamp Donkey Outdoors.

There are no absolutes
Old 08-14-2019, 07:48 PM

Swamp Donkey. Numerous good-great deals over the years.
Old 08-14-2019, 08:06 PM

https://ammobin.ca/

Not perfect, but it helps.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:27 AM

Thanks for the replies guys!

Tenda is where I found the lowest prices, when there is a sale. That’s where I grabbed some .243 and 7-08 for $25 per box last couple of times I bought ammo. $300 or more order qualifies for free shipping. Can’t see any local shops (and we only have 3, two of which are Canadian Tire and Walmart), matching that price given they sell the same ammo for $40+ per box.

.22 and shotgun ammo I buy locally and I loaded up on shotgun shells at Walmart when they had $10-15 per box “event” last year (or whenever it was). .22 I usually buy at Bushwacker (the third local little shop) or Canadian Tire. Doesn’t make sense to buy it anywhere else given the few bucks of savings. I usually go with CCI. I would occasionally buy something different that we don’t have locally at Cabela’s, given I order something else and free shipping kicks in.

Ammobin appears to be about the same as everyone else or just about. I only took a brief look though.

Swamp Donkey doesn’t seem to do be doing any online business, or not that I could find, so I will have to take a look next time I am in the area.

Again, thanks for the replies. Wish I was reloading or there was someone to teach me, but it ain’t the case. I am the first-generation hunter/shooter and a “late-bloomer” to add. Thus, factory ammunition is all I got and make do with it.
Old 08-23-2019, 10:43 AM

Default choices

canadian Tire money well spent on free ammo.....FS
Old 08-23-2019, 10:46 AM

I buy a lot of factory shotgun ammo from a guy named Fasteel!
Cat