Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-22-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBHunter View Post
Not sure if this applies or not, but I was under the assumption that "Fannin" Sheep are now counted as / or can be counted as a 'Stone Sheep" by both ovis and B&C - so basically a Dall sheep that has dark hair anywhere on the body, other than the tail ... a 20-25 K Yukon "sheep" hunt could produce a "stone instead of a "dall" and that is a lot more reasonably priced than a BC Stone ... not how many Yukon rams actually fall into the "Fannin" category however ... Heck for 25 k you could go twice and get both a Stone and Dall for the price of a single BC trip ... if you're lucky I guess lol
I agree that some outfitters call a near white sheep with a couple grey hairs a stone/fannin, but there are 4-5 outfits in the Yukon that produce very nice colored sheep that are close to a "true" stone. My avatar pic is a stone/fannin from the Yukon and the other rams we seen were very similar.
Old 12-22-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lr1000 View Post
I believe most outfitters tack on a pretty hefty charge if you shoot a fannin while Dall sheep hunting. Looks like you might pay around $30000+ for a fannin. Still cheaper however. Can't beat the look of a stone sheep in my mind.
I have heard of this from NWT outfitters, but not from Yukon ones ... quiet possible they do this as well. Technically, I guess, they are all the same species (dall/stone/fannin) ... more color morphs than true subspecies, based on DNA evidence. I do agree, the really dark Stone's are beautiful, but then again, so are those white ones and salt n'pepper ones lol.
Old 12-22-2013, 08:40 PM

With how expensive a stones hunt is, it might be cheaper to move to BC for a year. Look at huntbpo.com
Old 12-23-2013, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBHunter View Post
I have heard of this from NWT outfitters, but not from Yukon ones ... quiet possible they do this as well. Technically, I guess, they are all the same species (dall/stone/fannin) ... more color morphs than true subspecies, based on DNA evidence. I do agree, the really dark Stone's are beautiful, but then again, so are those white ones and salt n'pepper ones lol.
I haven't heard of any trophy fee's for fannin's out of the NWT. I did here a story from Duthchik one time about a guy that did shoot one. I guess they were looking at a band of rams and they picked out the biggest one. After the shot he says, "reload, you missed!!" The client replied, "Nope, I just shot my stone for the price of a dall!!" He wound up killing a smaller ram that had a fair bit of darkness to it. I never saw pics of it. Each to their own tho....I'd a dumped the biggest of the bunch

To me a fannin is one of them white/brown lookin' ones from around Whitehorse. If they wanna start counting hairs to make a stone that's a bit of a longshot imo.

I've killed a couple that had dark hairs on the tail or slightly mixed in on the shoulder. I wouldn't ever consider them a stone.

I have heard that there is a sub species in the NWT that has a really small body that can fool ya if you don't pay attention to the other indicators. The horns look huge on them but once ya get up close the size just isn't there. Fooled a few people over the years. I heard that one of the Stan's gets a lil' cranky if one comes back to camp. Can't remember which one tho. Kind of a pygmy dall
Old 12-23-2013, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post
I have heard that there is a sub species in the NWT that has a really small body that can fool ya if you don't pay attention to the other indicators. The horns look huge on them but once ya get up close the size just isn't there. Fooled a few people over the years. I heard that one of the Stan's gets a lil' cranky if one comes back to camp. Can't remember which one tho. Kind of a pygmy dall
100% True. I worked for that "Stan" for a couple summers.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:26 AM

Those pygmy dalls are in the Yukon too. One was take out of Kluane a few years back by a certain gentleman who purchased the hunt at auction.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 12-23-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post
I haven't heard of any trophy fee's for fannin's out of the NWT.
To me a fannin is one of them white/brown lookin' ones from around Whitehorse. If they wanna start counting hairs to make a stone that's a bit of a longshot imo.

I've killed a couple that had dark hairs on the tail or slightly mixed in on the shoulder. I wouldn't ever consider them a stone. :
My bad, it was actually a Yukon outfitter ... base price for hunt and then a harvest fee ... harvest fee differed for Dall vs Stone/Fannin, not by much and it still worked out to less expensive than a BC hunt. Good outfitter from what I have heard as well. Wish more North American Outfitters did the "base/daily" fee with added trophy fees on top ...

As far as "Fannin" Sheep go ... if the white sheep has any dark colored hairs on it's body, other than the tail, it is consider a Fannin ... ovis grand slam club and B&C consider a Fannin as a Stone I think ... So congrats Tundra you are at least a 1/2 Slammer ;P
Old 12-23-2013, 10:59 AM

Can anyone post a picture of a pignmmy ram?
Old 12-23-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .300ultramag View Post
Does a higher priced hunt indicate a better hunt? Maybe, the outfitters that kill the biggest rams year after year charge more, but that doesn't mean a better hunt. Reputations go a long way, listen to the guys that have been on hunts with certain outfitters. And what's 20 grand, a third of a new truck?
x2. Bingo ! That's what I tell the guys with 60 K trucks (who can't write them off for tax purposes) all the time. They can't believe I would pay that much to hunt and I can't believe they would pay that much for something that wont be in their lives 5-10 years down the road.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFB View Post
x2. Bingo ! That's what I tell the guys with 60 K trucks (who can't write them off for tax purposes) all the time. They can't believe I would pay that much to hunt and I can't believe they would pay that much for something that wont be in their lives 5-10 years down the road.
Some people have different priorities. I know what mine are.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 12-25-2013, 09:24 AM

I also have a 3/4 slam. going back to the Yukon in 2016.
I have guys who smoke a pack a day tell me I am "rich" because I can afford to hunt up North. I know that they could take that money and go every 4-5 years. I think I am making a better choice!

No matter who you are looking at going with, talk to them, check references. Ask questions. Realize that nothing is cheap in the Yukon. The logistics up there are challenging to be sure. Almost everything gets flown in, that is not cheap!

It is expensive, but worth every penny!
Old 12-25-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk Hunter17 View Post
I agree that some outfitters call a near white sheep with a couple grey hairs a stone/fannin, but there are 4-5 outfits in the Yukon that produce very nice colored sheep that are close to a "true" stone. My avatar pic is a stone/fannin from the Yukon and the other rams we seen were very similar.
There are Yukon Outfits that have both Stone ans Dall sheep. If you are after a Stone, you hunt one area. If you are after a Dall, you hunt another. Trophy fees are set by the area. You could get a Dall with some colour, but you will still pay for a Dall where I went.

Some of the stone sheep were almost black in that same area. The variety in the herd can be amazing!
Old 12-25-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valu View Post
I have guys who smoke a pack a day tell me I am "rich" because I can afford to hunt up North. I know that they could take that money and go every 4-5 years. I think I am making a better choice!

No matter who you are looking at going with, talk to them, check references. Ask questions. Realize that nothing is cheap in the Yukon. The logistics up there are challenging to be sure. Almost everything gets flown in, that is not cheap!

Who are you going with in 2016?
Old 12-25-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valu View Post

Agree 100% Curious who you are going with as well.
Old 12-25-2013, 02:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_B View Post
How someone can blow 30-45 grand on a animal just blows my mind. What do you do for a living, I must be in the wrong business.
Small price to pay to stroke yer ego,much cheaper than a new Porsche.
Old 12-25-2013, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrushoutdoors View Post
Can anyone post a picture of a pignmmy ram?
Here's one that a couple of fella's I know got a few years back in the NWT (guided hunt). I don't have a pic of the whole animal, but they thought the one on the left was an absolute cranker until they walked up to it and realized it was a munchkin ram.

check out how tight the curl is.

The one on the right is a 36" ram.

Old 12-26-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinr View Post
Small price to pay to stroke yer ego,much cheaper than a new Porsche.
Totally clueless.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertadave View Post
Totally clueless.
Lmao....can't beleive it took 19hrs for someone to jump on that,new record?Must be Christmas??
Old 12-26-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonhunter View Post
Here's one that a couple of fella's I know got a few years back in the NWT (guided hunt). I don't have a pic of the whole animal, but they thought the one on the left was an absolute cranker until they walked up to it and realized it was a munchkin ram.

check out how tight the curl is.

The one on the right is a 36" ram.

I was there at the same camp this year and a small ram was taken too. It was a 37" ram but you could not put your fist through the side,small body,
third from the left is the one. Mine is the middle one

Old 12-26-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Shovel View Post
I was there at the same camp this year and a small ram was taken too. It was a 37" ram but you could not put your fist through the side,small body,
third from the left is the one. Mine is the middle one

Who was the outfitter?
Old 12-26-2013, 01:50 PM

Default Redstone NWT

Whatever you do. DO NOT book with redstone outta the NWT. The outfitter is a scam artist if I ever met one. He's made millions screwing over innocent hunters like us.! Do not go to redstone
Old 12-26-2013, 03:28 PM

If I was to hunt another Dall sheep it would be with Arctic Red. They consistently kill real good rams and lots of them
Old 12-26-2013, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond k View Post
Agree 100% Curious who you are going with as well.
Back with Deuling Stone. Got a 40 inch ram in August.
Not the cheapest hunt you will find but first class all the way. He does not take shortcuts and has tons of repeat business. He is booked until 2017 I think.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:20 PM

Going to Wsf in Reno.
Anyone else going?
PM me, we can have a beer....
Old 12-29-2013, 11:03 PM

Anyone hunted with BPO outfitters? If so send me a pm. Think I have it down to 4-5 outfitters. Any big differences between Yukon vs NWT on the size of sheep? I noticed the hunting areas are smaller in the Yukon.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:15 PM

Also what are guys opinions on best time to go? Early mid or late in the season. When can you expect the best weather? And is the first hunt the best cuz you have first pick at the sheep? I'm also looking at combining it if possible which pretty much takes the first part out I think. Any advice would be great. Once I pick a outfitter I will plan on getting more In depth with these questions with them.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:19 AM

No difference in the sheep Lr1000. The NWT would see less local pressure as access is pretty tough and there just ain't too many of us. We can use heli's for access as well. Our sheep are way cooler.....ok....I'm a little biased

As far as time....it's kind of a crap shoot. Weather can bite ya anytime. Your best weather will be early but we had a snowstorm that had the mts shut down with white out conditions for 3 days prior to the season a couple of years back. It opens on July 15th

Coldredneck and I rolled in there with 2 feet of snow and +20 temps on the 16th. He wound up killing a sheep on day 1 and we pulled out on day 6 to save the meat and cape as it was retarded hot out and the snow disappeared.

The outfitters don't push the weather envelope very much...too much at risk. They're pulling out as we're going in. They take all that into consideration.

Big difference is the cape. A July cape is going to be really short. They fill out pretty quick by the end of August and are very full. Bugs are gonna be worse earlier but you ain't gonna run out of them until things are too late. Earlier is mosquitos...then the black flies. Both taste chitty

We've been pushing our hunts later each year trying to hammer a big slobbernose but it has hurt our sheep hunting. 2 years without one now.

I love late September in there but if I was focused strictly on sheep I would aim for a start around the 15th of August......caribou would be open for you on the 25th of July as well. They will be still in velvet. You'll see some amazing colour change if you're there for the last 2 weeks of August.

Last edited by Tundra Monkey; 12-30-2013 at 03:25 AM.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:44 AM

My advice is to make it happen if you can make it happen....you never know what might happen in life to prevent what you were planning on doing tomorrow.

After a bad fall in the mountains 9 years ago....sheep hunting has only been a dream for me and in February.....I get a knee replacement. As badly as I would love to take a ram (one in my lifetime would be a hunt of a lifetime)....that fall 9 years ago changed my dreams.

Go live your dreams and experience something that you dream of.

Marco
Old 12-30-2013, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarCreek View Post
My advice is to make it happen if you can make it happen....you never know what might happen in life to prevent what you were planning on doing tomorrow.

After a bad fall in the mountains 9 years ago....sheep hunting has only been a dream for me and in February.....I get a knee replacement. As badly as I would love to take a ram (one in my lifetime would be a hunt of a lifetime)....that fall 9 years ago changed my dreams.

Go live your dreams and experience something that you dream of.

Marco
Well said Marco, you only live once and make the most of it.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lr1000 View Post
Also what are guys opinions on best time to go? Early mid or late in the season. When can you expect the best weather? And is the first hunt the best cuz you have first pick at the sheep? I'm also looking at combining it if possible which pretty much takes the first part out I think. Any advice would be great. Once I pick a outfitter I will plan on getting more In depth with these questions with them.
Like TM said the weather can bite you anytime. This year was HOT up there. The guys I talked to in Whitehorse said the sheep were up high and the bugs were horrible. The four people I flew into Whitehorse with didn't kill rams and on my hunt in BC I'm the only one to come out with a ram out of three hunters.

As far as I can tell it doesn't matter which hunt you go on, you should have a pretty good chance at getting a shot at a ram.

I wouldn't hold back on the in depth questions until you have picked an outfitter. Ask them know, it may help on narrowing it down. And if they get annoyed with answering your questions, that should answer the biggest question you have.

Good luck.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA