Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-03-2022, 01:19 PM

I'm positive there is some dirty pool going on in the Firearms center. I have tried to call for 4 days straight approx 30 times per day. I realize with the brisk handgun sales they are busy but Business's have the luxury of on- line transfers and the average Joe does not, answer the friggin phone !
I think were getting gassed till the bill passes. Those "so n so's' are lower then a snakes belly in a wagon rut. Pathetic.
Old 06-03-2022, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackleyman View Post
I'm positive there is some dirty pool going on in the Firearms center. I have tried to call for 4 days straight approx 30 times per day. I realize with the brisk handgun sales they are busy but Business's have the luxury of on- line transfers and the average Joe does not, answer the friggin phone !
I think were getting gassed till the bill passes. Those "so n so's' are lower then a snakes belly in a wagon rut. Pathetic.
>>
Hey! You took my saying man. Good one.!!
Old 06-04-2022, 09:59 AM

My son bought his first two restricted guns yesterday, and I bought two “protest” handguns myself. Feeling good about this. It’s our way of saying Foxtrot Uniform to the Turd.
Old 06-04-2022, 10:59 PM

Sorry for the lame question but this is the first time buying a handgun. The shop called me today with the transfer reference number, do I now wait for the RCMP to call? Do they ask questions?
Old 06-05-2022, 12:07 AM

Not a lame question if you have never done it before. The procedure is pretty straightforward. The RCMP will not call you. You call the CFC at 1-800-731-4000. You go through the menu (1-4-1) to get to the agent who will complete the transfer. You will indicate to her that you are calling to complete transfer and provide the reference #. They will ask you lots of questions to verify your identity including license #, address, phone, DOB, email, where you were born, the range you belong to and so forth, so have that info all handy.

This used to take anywhere from 2 minutes to a half hour to get through to an operator. I spent 11 hours on Monday and Tuesday trying to get through, dialing over 600 times, being on hold 43 times, and getting my call dropped out of queue 43 times. It was soul crushing.

But if you want that gun, that's what you will have to do.

I'm curious though, if you bought from a retailer, you shouldn't have to go through that, as the retailer confirms your identity, and the transfer is done online and you shouldn't have a reference # or have to call in, just wait for the transfer to be approved. Reference #s are used for transfers between individuals to the best of my knowledge. The few times I have bought from retailers I was never required to call in a reference # and approval was usually almost immediate.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 06-05-2022, 05:47 AM

Default even

The business line was down yesterday....I don't believe they want the transfer process to even begin. It's a joke.
Old 06-05-2022, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonob1 View Post
Sorry for the lame question but this is the first time buying a handgun. The shop called me today with the transfer reference number, do I now wait for the RCMP to call? Do they ask questions?
As TC said, but usually the retailer does everything. They may have just given you the transfer reference number for your info just in case you want to follow up with the CFC. Call the retailer and clarify with them to see if you need to call the CFC.
Old 06-05-2022, 07:14 AM

Sorry, one other question. Do I need an ATT? I have never submitted this previously (first handgun) and is this something I need before the transfer?
Old 06-05-2022, 07:40 AM

IF the pistol is being mailed to you, then you don't. If picking up, according to the RCMP site, you do. I just checked my conditions on my ATT and it doesn't specify picking up from a retailer, so I believe you need to get an ATT if you are picking up from a retailer. Call the CFC for more clarification.
Old 06-05-2022, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Global News 8:15 PM May 30th....

"Government officials later said they don't anticipate a major surge in handgun purchases in anticipation of the freeze becoming law"
Let's go Brandon!

"I came to Ottawa with the firm belief that the only people in this country who should have guns are police officers and soldiers."

— Allan Rock, Canada's Minister of Justice
Maclean's "Taking aim on guns", 1994 April 25, Vol.107 Issue 17, page 12.

"... protection of life is NOT a legitimate use for a firearm in this country sir! Not! That is expressly ruled out!".

— Justice Minister Allan Rock
Old 06-08-2022, 02:45 PM

Default Help needed

My wife was online renewing her PAL and after the questions were completed,she was kicked out of the screen and unable to enter her payment info,she has called numerous times per day,it always goes to a msg system and hangs up on her,I’ve tried to help,even called the RCMP main branch in EDM,the officer on the call told me all firearm related issues are being handled by the AB Gov,does anyone know who or what number we can try to have her payment accepted so her renewal form is accepted and her PAL is not revoked,thanks for any and all help,I’ve tried all the numbers posted and online I could find tks again
Old 06-08-2022, 07:19 PM

You would be very lucky to get thru to Firearms Center. I have tried for last 8 days.
Possibly contact Alberta CFO and be on record that your doing your due diligence and can not complete renewal because of NO response from Firearms Center. They are well aware of the gong show.
AlbertaCFO@gov.ab.ca Good Luck.
Old 06-08-2022, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybert View Post
IF the pistol is being mailed to you, then you don't. If picking up, according to the RCMP site, you do. I just checked my conditions on my ATT and it doesn't specify picking up from a retailer, so I believe you need to get an ATT if you are picking up from a retailer. Call the CFC for more clarification.
Just a stupid f'ing peice of meaningless paper.. Another tax payers bill.. Another useless high paying government job..

The receipt with the date of purchase should be the same as a ATT if purchasing from a store.

If purchasing from a private seller, I can understand why an ATT is required.. I don't agree with it, but then again Im a guy who thinks I should be able to use my handgun anywhere I am allowed my rifle.
Old 06-08-2022, 08:55 PM

The transfer approval took 6 days. So I got it home and stripped it down to give it a light coat of oil in just the proper places. I even found my old rig. And I bought a third magazine since the store only had one left. (The price of that May was criminal.)

We just won’t discuss just how small the belt has gotten.
Old 06-08-2022, 09:00 PM

First handguns I ever bought was when Paul Martin threatened to take them away, I just received the transfer papers for a new item because of Trudeau.

BTW, Those who were following my other thread that was shut down… I got hosed, received a confirmation and never got an explanation as to why that firearm was never “mine” I think it was sold out from underneath me TBH.
I had to switch gears and look elsewhere… still disappointed, but a little less than before

LC
Old 06-08-2022, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MT View Post
The transfer approval took 6 days. So I got it home and stripped it down to give it a light coat of oil in just the proper places. I even found my old rig. And I bought a third magazine since the store only had one left. (The price of that May was criminal.)

We just won’t discuss just how small the belt has gotten.

That's a solid rig, and extra mags are a must. I can also relate to my belts shrinking over the years. Had to let my load vest out a couple notches recently, I figure my son must have tried it on.

On the upside, I *finally* got through to the CFC today and was able to initiate transfers on 3 that I am selling to friends. 14 hours of my life I will never get back. Tirebob owes me BIG Time!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 06-09-2022, 06:43 AM

Got an email yesterday that my new 22 revolver has been shipped from the store! Yay! That only took a week... In other news the private deal for another revolver is still sitting in the - can't get through on the phone pile.
Old 06-09-2022, 06:47 AM

I've been wanting to buy a CZ Shadow 2 for a while, but my budget always made me put that aside. I ended up ordering an original SP-01 Shadow a few days ago when I saw one online. I still can't afford it, but apparently it's now or never.
Old 06-09-2022, 08:14 AM

I bought a 1862 Police Sheriff .44 cap n ball to replace one I regretted selling a few years back, possibly only a few months left to fill out your collection.

Now the wait for transfer.
Old 06-09-2022, 10:34 AM

Default Success

Apparently the recipe is to keep calling until they answer,I was successful contacting a officer dealing with PAL renewals,what a relief,best of luck to all trying to contact them
Old 06-10-2022, 09:02 AM

Hit and miss i guess. called approx 15 times yesterday. Voice mail. A few times put on hold and thanked for "being a responsible gun owner" 100 times then bonk bonk dead line. Today will be day 9.
Old 06-10-2022, 09:21 AM

The phone lines are in local time wait until 3 all the East lines are closed you only have Sask and West to compete with
Old 06-10-2022, 09:46 AM

Location: Retired and living in the only desert in Central B.C. overlooking the Thompson River.

Quote:
Only 30 times. I called 426 times on Monday and finally got thru at 4:55. Yeah. Dialed 1-6-1 instead and got a great friendly non-restricted person on the line to give me the 4 reference numbers and if you can conference call bring the buyer(s) on line and finish it.....all done. And I’m not kidding about the 426 calls. Sat at my desk from 9-5.

Add this into your contacts to bypass the listen to this, press this...

1-800-731-4000,1,,,,,,4,2, OR
“. “. ,1,,,,,,6,1. OR
“. “. ,1,,,,,,,1,2502. If you have a Ref. # and trying to get buyer on to complete.
Old 06-10-2022, 09:56 AM

Sort of a dumb question, but here goes...

Has anyone in Edmonton tried going straight to the CFO's office and doing the transfer requests in-person?
Old 06-10-2022, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranq78 View Post
Sort of a dumb question, but here goes...

Has anyone in Edmonton tried going straight to the CFO's office and doing the transfer requests in-person?
CFO can't initiate transfers, only approve. I tried them by email and got a short explanatory reply, and the 800 # to call CFC.

Old 06-10-2022, 11:34 AM

Ironically, there are people who think it is too easy to buy/sell a legal, registered handgun in Canada.

You guya have way too much patience and determination.
Old 06-10-2022, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
CFO can't initiate transfers, only approve. I tried them by email and got a short explanatory reply, and the 800 # to call CFC.
Thanks. Guess I won't try that route. I want to transfer some to my kids, will wait for the excitement to finish before I do that.
Old 06-11-2022, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranq78 View Post
Thanks. Guess I won't try that route. I want to transfer some to my kids, will wait for the excitement to finish before I do that.
OR fill out the paper forms, and email/register mail it in and for electronic submission CC your MP/MLA to prove due diligence.

Until this session is over they could drop an 11th hour OIC and stop everything. However if a legal transfer was started prior it has to be honored.

LC
Old 06-11-2022, 09:57 AM

I’m sorry.
Can someone please explain what difference a protest buy makes?
Old 06-11-2022, 10:05 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
That's a solid rig, and extra mags are a must. I can also relate to my belts shrinking over the years. Had to let my load vest out a couple notches recently, I figure my son must have tried it on.

On the upside, I *finally* got through to the CFC today and was able to initiate transfers on 3 that I am selling to friends. 14 hours of my life I will never get back. Tirebob owes me BIG Time!
Also shrinking belts... And Jeans... And T Shirts... It must be an epidemic going on out there!

And yes, Tom is 100% on my very short list of human beings who I would be willing to give up a Kidney for... Cheers bud!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23