Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-04-2022, 06:53 AM

Default Passport applications at Harry Hays building

Anyone do a passport application recently, been hearing some pretty long lineups? Any tips or tricks to avoid the lineups? Have heard you can phone in and make an appointment but not sure on that
Old 07-04-2022, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Anyone do a passport application recently, been hearing some pretty long lineups? Any tips or tricks to avoid the lineups? Have heard you can phone in and make an appointment but not sure on that
This is from a Google search

https://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/tbsc...ng=eng&rc=4802

The office in Sundance may be better for walk ins.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 07-04-2022, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post

I can do a walk in at Red Deer as well, but if you need your passport in under 45 days it needs to be done at the Harry Hays. Tagging along on a sheep hunt in Oregon and leaving on Aug. 12 so need it fairly quick
Old 07-04-2022, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post

I see now the one in Sundance is an actual passport office. I will check that out
Thanks
Old 07-04-2022, 09:56 AM

I wish you good luck man. We booked an appointment for our son last May for the next day he landed from Norway. We had supporting documents and everything stating that he HAD to be back in Norway by the 14th of august.
They said he might get his passport by the 1st week of Aug….. but it’ll be chancy.

We got calls into our MP and he’s going to back us up.
It’s not just the mass layoff of workers and the surge of travelers … this is the year that the first generation of 10 year passports expires….

So… they kinda shoulda seen that one comin…
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 07-04-2022, 10:44 AM

Myself and my wife went 2 weeks ago to get a new passport for our daughter, my wife was the applicant so I wasn’t allowed to wait with her at the Harry Hays building, we got there at 9 and we’re about 100 people back in the waiting room line. Needed proof of flight, actual purchased ticket proof for my daughters trip or no dice. They also state only trips planned within the next 45 days will be checked. Wife sat there until 3:30pm when she was informed she wouldn’t get in that day. They gave her an appointment for the following Saturday which she went and was in and out in an hour but what a mess. Last time we did the passport my wife needed to go to the courthouse to get a parenting order or else they wouldn’t process the passport. So this time she brought it they agent said they didn’t need it. She argued that last time they wouldn’t without it. Agent said nope all good. 5 days later gets a call that they won’t process it because there is no parenting order. So then she has to pay for an app to fax it in because they can’t accept email only fax(dumb it’s 2022). One guy in the waiting room my wife talked with said it was his 2nd day in there and they still hadn’t issued him an appointment. He was going to be 16 hours deep. They didn’t stop people from coming in. Some sat in line outside the waiting room for hours to be told they wouldn’t let them in. If you know you can only get through 200 in a day then stop at 200 people, such horrible management. Typical government Bs
Old 07-04-2022, 11:40 AM

Last time this stuff was happening, wife and I drove to Saskatoon and were in within 10 minutes.
Old 07-04-2022, 02:36 PM

Starting to sound rather unappealing. We will be driving across the border so no flights booked obviously. I have a copy of buddys draw results for Oregon, and that's it. His name isn't on it so will try to convince them it's mine I guess.
And I still don't know if they will even let me across the border yet...will be crossing in BC for this one so could be a long hitchhike back to Caroline lol
Old 07-04-2022, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Starting to sound rather unappealing. We will be driving across the border so no flights booked obviously. I have a copy of buddys draw results for Oregon, and that's it. His name isn't on it so will try to convince them it's mine I guess.
And I still don't know if they will even let me across the border yet...will be crossing in BC for this one so could be a long hitchhike back to Caroline lol
If you manage to get a passport and are vaccinated you should be good to go. I would sure hesitate on misrepresenting why you are going there. Might be a bunch of trouble ahead and blacklisted from entering again.

Hope this works out for you.

Edit, maybe misrepresenting isn't the best word but I would sure be above board on your going on a "vacation".
Old 07-04-2022, 05:20 PM

Well colour me surprised. Aside from the entire process being a cluster F, her passport showed up today. They said 10-20 business days and it was day 18 today I think. Close enough for me.
Old 07-04-2022, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Blake View Post
If you manage to get a passport and are vaccinated you should be good to go. I would sure hesitate on misrepresenting why you are going there. Might be a bunch of trouble ahead and blacklisted from entering again.

Hope this works out for you.

Edit, maybe misrepresenting isn't the best word but I would sure be above board on your going on a "vacation".
I get what you're saying but I don't think the US cares how or why I got my passport.
No vax card, that is why I'm curious as to how I'll make out
Old 07-07-2022, 08:30 PM

Well that was easier than expected. Will have my passport back well before departure date in August....and didn't even have to go to Calgary (or Edmonton). Was around 3 hours from start (being outside the door half an hour early) to walking out the door
Old 07-07-2022, 09:09 PM

Quote:
I get what you're saying but I don't think the US cares how or why I got my passport.
No vax card, that is why I'm curious as to how I'll make out
US still requires vaccination to cross the border if you are not a US resident.

Upon return you need to quarantine according to the rules.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 07-08-2022, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Well that was easier than expected. Will have my passport back well before departure date in August....and didn't even have to go to Calgary (or Edmonton). Was around 3 hours from start (being outside the door half an hour early) to walking out the door
Things seem to be improving. My son went down to the Shawnessey location this morning to do his. In and out in about 2 hours and should have his passport first week of August. Did it help that the stampede parade was going on this morning, can't hurt I suppose.
Old 07-08-2022, 07:08 PM

In main Alberta passport office (Edmonton) people were coming at 3;00AM so they would get through line.
Old 07-08-2022, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Awesome can’t wait to see pics of the trip!! Just say you identify as a 13 year old girl if you run into issues!
Old 07-08-2022, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganderblaster View Post
Awesome can’t wait to see pics of the trip!! Just say you identify as a 13 year old girl if you run into issues!
lol. I will come up with something. Talked to a number of travelers. Don't think I will have any trouble at all.
Gonna be an amazing trip. Hope it works out. Have one to Nevada in december for desert as well.
Old 07-29-2022, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Received passport in the mail yesterday, so right on 3 weeks to get it if anyone is looking to do theirs
Old 07-29-2022, 12:10 PM

wow, a couple years ago, I got a emergency passport in 5 hours, was on a plane that afternoon.
Also, went to the states(driving) no one asked about vax, I was prepared to drive home if they asked, I was not going to lie.
Also got several friends in the states right now, and no one asked for theirs either(they also are not vaxed)
So I would not get bent out of shape about it.
Though I have heard that the passport office is a gong show, show up 1/2hr before they open in the am, and get in line, this is the easiest way
Old 07-29-2022, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeelmer View Post
wow, a couple years ago, I got a emergency passport in 5 hours, was on a plane that afternoon.
Also, went to the states(driving) no one asked about vax, I was prepared to drive home if they asked, I was not going to lie.
Also got several friends in the states right now, and no one asked for theirs either(they also are not vaxed)
So I would not get bent out of shape about it.
Though I have heard that the passport office is a gong show, show up 1/2hr before they open in the am, and get in line, this is the easiest way
Awesome. Thanks for the info. Makes me feel a little more confident it will all work out. I have heard nothing but positive results from others as well.

I didn't have to go to a passport office to do mine. Just went to a service canada. Had to write up an itinerary on a piece of paper of what I was doing to get it so "quickly". Otherwise it would have been over 45 days to get
I got there about 1/2 early and there were 3 of us in line. Of course there were those that rolled in with appointments and took priority but I was still out of there by 11 (and they were shorthanded that day).

Last edited by MountainTi; 07-29-2022 at 12:28 PM.