Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-03-2022, 10:21 PM

Default Plumbing question-sulfur smell

I am on a well and and all of my upstair faucets have no smell coming out except one and the tub in the same bathroom.I understand that my water does have a slight odour if it has been running for a long time but lately the one room has got quite bad and it makes no sense to me.I shocked the well last year and started noticing a smell about 9 months later.All of the fixtures in that room are new as well.The house is 35 yrs old with the original holding tank.Any input on why this may be occuring would be appreciated.
Old 07-03-2022, 11:06 PM

Default Pee Traps

Every sink, tub and floor drain has a pee trap if it dries out you can get the gas coming back at you; Try to make sure they all have water in them. Sometimes if they are not used they dry right out. Best of luck.
Old 07-04-2022, 05:14 AM

X2. Put the plug in the sink and fill the sink until the water flows into the overfill hole for a couple of minutes.
Old 07-04-2022, 05:57 AM

Check the anode on your hot water tank.
Old 07-04-2022, 07:43 AM

I just did this in my bathroom sink,you get shmutz build up between the top of the P trap and bottom of sink.Remove your sink stop/plug and clean that 8 or so inches of pipe.
Old 07-04-2022, 09:02 AM
Banned

......few years ago the water from our well started to stink. looked in the well and there was a dead cat floating in it! first time in 40 years and it looked like whoever put in the casing left a little dent in the top of the culvert and the cat found it. enough to make you puke!
Old 07-04-2022, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schleprock View Post
X2. Put the plug in the sink and fill the sink until the water flows into the overfill hole for a couple of minutes.
Does the overflow have a P trap too?
Old 07-04-2022, 07:31 PM

Thanks for all the input.All sinks /p traps have had water running in them constantly.The smell is coming directly from the taps.I wish i had funds to replace the hot water tank and old holding tank both at the same time.P/S if you ever build a new house make your mechanical room has alot of working room around everything-you will be alot happier in the long run.
Old 07-04-2022, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACKER View Post
Thanks for all the input.All sinks /p traps have had water running in them constantly.The smell is coming directly from the taps.I wish i had funds to replace the hot water tank and old holding tank both at the same time.P/S if you ever build a new house make your mechanical room has alot of working room around everything-you will be alot happier in the long run.
As someone who spends a lot of time in other people’s mechanical rooms, I second that last statement. Also, if you’re scheduled to have trades in, be courteous enough to tidy it up somewhat. I’ve had to deal with everything from cat poop, to several hundred pounds worth of boxes of books, bags of empties etc, just to get to the furnace I had been scheduled to replace for two weeks. If it’s on an hourly service call basis, whatever, it’s your money, but on a quoted job it’s very frustrating to an installer
Old 07-05-2022, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACKER View Post
Shock the well again. And be sure hot water tank is filled and let sit for a few hours before draining. It's usually the hot water tanks the will get smelly.
Go to Home Hardware and buy one of the little pails of chlorine tablets and throw the odd one down the well to keep it fresh
Old 07-05-2022, 08:21 AM

Turn your hot water tank heat up. Run it a little hotter to get the sulfer smell out.