Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-02-2022, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Are you in it to just save money?
Or.
Are you in it to learn, become proficient, and have a great hobby?

Pining about it won’t make it any better, you gotta pay to play, or you don’t!

The decision is where do you find the means to finance your hobbies, addictions, or habits.

Something has to give, and or, changes must happen.
How did addictions and habits become part of the conversation? And what has to give or change? You lost me.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 07-02-2022, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
How did addictions and habits become part of the conversation? And what has to give or change? You lost me.
I have a habit of buying guns.
My wife says I’m addicted to hunting and shooting.

Does that trigger your sarcasm meter enough?

Further to the other meaning of the statement, if you’ve got a habit or addiction such as smoking or drinking, and still find times tough with the current issues with un fettered inflation, perhaps one should weigh and decide what is more important to themselves.

There are no absolutes
Old 07-02-2022, 04:21 PM

Quote:
I have a habit of buying guns.
My wife says I’m addicted to hunting and shooting.

Does that trigger your sarcasm meter enough?

Further to the other meaning of the statement, if you’ve got a habit or addiction such as smoking or drinking, and still find times tough with the current issues with un fettered inflation, perhaps one should weigh and decide what is more important to themselves.
Didn't trigger my sarcasm meter at all.

As for your side track (and really it is a derail, you can read about those in Forum Rules), mini sermon on people's habits, you can save that for church. It doesn't belong in a reloading thread in the guns and ammo section of the forum. Nobody else brought it up, and it certainly isn't necessary.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 07-02-2022 at 04:39 PM.
Old 07-02-2022, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Didn't trigger my sarcasm meter at all.

As for your side track (and really it is a derail, you can read about those in Forum Rules), mini sermon on people's habits, you can save that for church. It doesn't belong in a reloading thread in the guns and ammo section of the forum. Nobody else brought it up, and it certainly isn't necessary.
My apologies.

There are no absolutes
Old 07-02-2022, 04:53 PM

Quote:
My apologies.
It's all good Dick. You have lots to contribute to this forum and this discussion. You've been hunting and fishing and shooting longer then most have, and your insight on topic is valued.

Old 07-02-2022, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBE View Post
Ya it is getting expensive. Just seen 6 - 7 saum range pick up cases on cgn for $30 a piece
In this case reloading doesn't save money, I could buy a new box of gunworks 7 saum for 175...

Sad people are gouging and blaming inflation.
Old 07-02-2022, 05:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOutOfWater View Post
And when some RANDOM guy in the EE wants $400 for 2 lbs of powder and 200 primers...

Ya I almost bought this
I thought it was a 1000 primers each not 100

Like serious gouging
4x inflated retail price
Old 07-03-2022, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post

Ya, I almost bought this. I thought it was a 1000 primers each not 100.
Like serious gouging , 4x inflated retail price
Exactly...

I had to reread the ad a few times just to make sure... Was thinking the exact same, "you're missing a zero on each of the primer counts.

Old 07-03-2022, 05:02 PM

I have been doing a bunch more checking. The stores that have stock have 110 to 140 a pound for powder and 20 bucks a 100 on primers. There are lots of lower posted prices but every one of them shows no stock. At 280 for powder and 40 for primers I get 320, so the guy isn't giving it away but he sure isn't gouging either. I sure wouldn't be selling at a discount when prices are rising this rapidly and continue to while also being really short supply.
Old 07-03-2022, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I have been doing a bunch more checking. The stores that have stock have 110 to 140 a pound for powder and 20 bucks a 100 on primers. There are lots of lower posted prices but every one of them shows no stock. At 280 for powder and 40 for primers I get 320, so the guy isn't giving it away but he sure isn't gouging either. I sure wouldn't be selling at a discount when prices are rising this rapidly and continue to while also being really short supply.
And a friend just bought another 4lbs of powder, and 1000 primers, at an Edmonton store last week at about half of those prices. Depending on which powder, I am still seeing powder on the shelves at $50-$80 per pound.
Old 07-03-2022, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
And a friend just bought another 4lbs of powder, and 1000 primers, at an Edmonton store last week at about half of those prices. Depending on which powder, I am still seeing powder on the shelves at $50-$80 per pound.
Price variance is truly huge. Reminds me of the 35% spread from station to station on gas prices. Advantage to these kinds of threads is guys are well warned. If they find 10 dollar primers and 50 buck powder, snap it up. Even if it it is just to have stuff to trade for what you need instead.
Old 07-03-2022, 06:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
exactly
Old 07-03-2022, 10:38 PM

Does make you scratch your head when I see Natchezss selling powder at 30-52.00/lb US, freight and exchange and distributor discounts just don't get it to some of the asking levels at present, unless some of the stores are buying from people like them, that would get some of the prices to that level, not all though.
I see Higginson wants 68.95 for AA5744, that is usually a bit cheaper than some other AA powders. Natchezss is at 52 for RL16.
Old 07-05-2022, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
Does make you scratch your head when I see Natchezss selling powder at 30-52.00/lb US, freight and exchange and distributor discounts just don't get it to some of the asking levels at present, unless some of the stores are buying from people like them, that would get some of the prices to that level, not all though.
I see Higginson wants 68.95 for AA5744, that is usually a bit cheaper than some other AA powders. Natchezss is at 52 for RL16.
Do you buy powder from the US? I didn't think that was allowed.
Old 07-06-2022, 04:41 PM

Quote:
I bought a pound of IMR 4166 from CDN Tire South Edm this morning (July 6) @ $91.46 all in.
Old 07-06-2022, 04:47 PM

I just bought 3 lbs from CX Shooters in Morinville. Good prices by today's standard 76 bucks average. I have not seen any powder anywhere close to 50 bucks for a long time. I have seen a lot at 120+ in stores however. Long and short, price is not going down any time soon. If you need it buy it, or build th stockpile. Anything under 90 bucks a pound is likely to be the go forward price for a very long time.