Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 05-21-2022, 09:05 AM
AO Sponsor

Default FHA Offering

Old 05-22-2022, 10:40 AM

Large batch of coyotes to be sold. We need Canada Goose to start sewing good high priced parkas with fresh fur.
Old 05-23-2022, 08:44 AM

are these numbers in line with the previous years?
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!" 1935-Adolf Hitler
Old 05-23-2022, 10:20 AM

Looks like marten, fisher, lynx are little lower than most second spring sales. Guys probably cutting trapping back or holding fur over to better prices. I would think with $2.00/liter gas/diesel and half price for most fur many trappers will limit their trapping season.
Old 05-23-2022, 12:59 PM
AO Sponsor

The past sale results are quite relevant to this sale's offering

https://www.furharvesters.com/result.../march22us.pdf

Most people are most interested in coyotes when they ask such a question. When NAFA was still in operation, it was not unheard of to have 120,000 coyotes total all sections in a single sale with virtually no leftovers from the previous sale. However, on this sale, there are significant numbers of leftovers from the previous sale, on he coyotes.

Some industry players believe that the values were too high for what the end users wanted to pay, however, many of our end users, the Chinese in particular, were not in a buying mood, regardless of fur type/species. The story of the country buyers this past fur season was "...no orders..." The country buying network generally sells to many of the same players that attend/participate in the fur auction(s).

So on the coyotes, the new floor/bottom has not yet been established. When we see a high percentage of goods sold, we will know what the new normal is for a coyote average.

There are still significant quantities of coyotes left over from the last sale. Take a wild educated guess and say that they sold about 12,000 of 45,000 skins of all sections, means 32,00 ish left over, meaning hypothetically 63,000 fresh coyotes in this sale, half of a healthy May NAFA sale when our markets were strong.

Im kinda hoping that FHA will still hold relatively strong values on the coyotes whist we wait for China to come out of their "THING" that their govt is doing, and result in another hold back or buy back sale on the coyotes, and maybe some real interest will return in the fall???
Old 05-23-2022, 03:00 PM

I have a bad feeling that fha is gonna have to make some tough decisions and clear out the coyotes and rats and establish a new price line. So basically if there is any interest at all I bet they are gone.
Old 05-23-2022, 03:46 PM
AO Sponsor

I would imagine they will take any bid on the commercial/southern types, hopefully same within sanity on the semi heavy and dark heavies. I hope tgey wait it out on the best western heavies.

The beauty of the internet sale is with the posted value you havecto bid within the threshold or theres no bid. Truthfully, i think this internet sale thing kept the coyote values propped up, there was little to none back and forth bidding on ANY of the internet sales. Most sales made during the sale was a buyer submitting to the value or slightly below the value SOLD
And thus it was kinda a smokescreen for the waning values, to our benefit.

It would really help our (trapper) cause if each lot didnt end so fricking abruptly tho. Ive bought lotsa stuff out of country online auctions that when there is active bidding happening, the lot doesnt end until people wuit bidding, meaning after a bid the time resets a minute or two to accommodate last minute bidding frenzy. On items in demand like cheap nice bobcats in the last sale and heavy A colour coon, pretty hairy final minute, but then it ends and tho people have more money to spend and bid and fight, but no recourse.

And no they never learn their lesson and bid higher to begin with!!! People are generally kinda… cheap!

Hopefully they fix that in time for…,

MONKEYPOX!!!!

Or perhaps Billy’s band new variant???? He basically told us the next pandemic would be smallpox related.

There is last minute bidding frenzy happening but when time is up time is up and SOL for you if you didn't gave the high bid in the final seconds.

And of course a bunch after sale privately, the more you want the better the deal no doubt, and rightly so
Old 06-21-2022, 09:36 AM
AO Sponsor

AND THEYRE OFF!!!

Looks like they in the hunt for $100 USD top on the western hvy coyotes. But significant drop from there. D colour coyotes very low value now. I will be sure to ask Howard to bid them all up!

I always find the lynx game puzzling, maybe inflated values cuz of whos showing up??? Hope it works out well for all! Merry Christmas and tidings of great joy!!!
Old 06-21-2022, 06:09 PM

This may be a dumb question but what does the PL stand for on badger grades?
Old 06-21-2022, 06:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Cat View Post
This may be a dumb question but what does the PL stand for on badger grades?
Pale
Old 06-21-2022, 06:52 PM

Kinda what I figured, thanks
Old 06-22-2022, 09:58 AM

My 2 foxes sold sometime in last couple months for 12 a piece us. Account is updated. Come on coyotes and rats.
Old 06-22-2022, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
My 2 foxes sold sometime in last couple months for 12 a piece us. Account is updated. Come on coyotes and rats.
I had a fox sell aswell. Wasn’t expecting that.
Old 06-24-2022, 07:05 AM
AO Sponsor

Coyotes end this morning. As plenty of guys chatting about the sales in the USA in real time, I could do a little too for you. Ill ask if ok to be sure.

At this time, the coyotes are going. Not doing well, I only see bids on about 625 of the western heavy, mind you many of the coyotes I have there graded as semi heavy.

The ranch silvers went yesterday, they seemed to go quite well but I believe the market was entirely domestic and would speculate that it was entirely North America.

Today is coyote, raccoon and wild mink, yesterday all ranch fur including chinchilla. The mink seemed to sell moderate numbers, but that is an improvement. Remember or know, ranch mink are basically the barometer of the general health of the market, not counting the zoo collection, meaning wolf bear ermine squirrel, etc basically the weird stuff.

All is not lost yet on the coyotes, often bids are made in the last minutes grand scale when you have people that want the goods badly, much bid sniping going on in this beat the clock auction. You must beat the clock or tough titty for you and it's too bad for Bobbert if you are trying to squeak a bid in the last seconds and your phone doesnt load quick enough while you in the chiro's office and chiropractor is waiting for you, which almost happened... HOWEVER I WAS SUCCESSFUL AND DEFEATED MY OPPONENTS!!!! Arent they lovely???

But in their defense, they defeated me on the last lot I was desiring, phone wouldnt load quick enough and the Wendy's burger might have been distracting me, but geez.... $31 for days, and I upped my bid to $35 in the last 2 minutes, then suddenly bids start flying in$41, then $49 and landed on $51 while I'm trying for $55... unsuccessfully!

These auctions really, really, I mean REALLY, REALLY, need to continue for 2 minutes after a last minute bid. Much additional $$$$$ would result. That wouldnt help your coyotes today, but stuff is in demand, the beat the clock auction goes crazy for a minute or two! Guys beak off that the sale would go on for weeks... maybe in 1985 but definitely not in 2022. Things would end in an additional 5-10 to 30 minutes max and trappers/ranchers would get more money, probably a lot on the short supply in-demand items.

Last edited by Marty S; 06-24-2022 at 07:10 AM.
Old 06-24-2022, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
Coyotes end this morning. As plenty of guys chatting about the sales in the USA in real time, I could do a little too for you. Ill ask if ok to be sure.

At this time, the coyotes are going. Not doing well, I only see bids on about 625 of the western heavy, mind you many of the coyotes I have there graded as semi heavy.

The ranch silvers went yesterday, they seemed to go quite well but I believe the market was entirely domestic and would speculate that it was entirely North America.

Today is coyote, raccoon and wild mink, yesterday all ranch fur including chinchilla. The mink seemed to sell moderate numbers, but that is an improvement. Remember or know, ranch mink are basically the barometer of the general health of the market, not counting the zoo collection, meaning wolf bear ermine squirrel, etc basically the weird stuff.

All is not lost yet on the coyotes, often bids are made in the last minutes grand scale when you have people that want the goods badly, much bid sniping going on in this beat the clock auction. You must beat the clock or tough titty for you and it's too bad for Bobbert if you are trying to squeak a bid in the last seconds and your phone doesnt load quick enough while you in the chiro's office and chiropractor is waiting for you, which almost happened... HOWEVER I WAS SUCCESSFUL AND DEFEATED MY OPPONENTS!!!! Arent they lovely???

But in their defense, they defeated me on the last lot I was desiring, phone wouldnt load quick enough and the Wendy's burger might have been distracting me, but geez.... $31 for days, and I upped my bid to $35 in the last 2 minutes, then suddenly bids start flying in$41, then $49 and landed on $51 while I'm trying for $55... unsuccessfully!

These auctions really, really, I mean REALLY, REALLY, need to continue for 2 minutes after a last minute bid. Much additional $$$$$ would result. That wouldnt help your coyotes today, but stuff is in demand, the beat the clock auction goes crazy for a minute or two! Guys beak off that the sale would go on for weeks... maybe in 1985 but definitely not in 2022. Things would end in an additional 5-10 to 30 minutes max and trappers/ranchers would get more money, probably a lot on the short supply in-demand items.

Can you give us an idea of the coyote bids that are there so far?
Old 06-24-2022, 10:17 AM
AO Sponsor

Top 10 skins $97 USD
Lot 002 67 skins $75
200 I’s A at $63

Then to lot 275 - IIs & SLT
253 skins at $24

Then 2 lots of Med/Sm I-IIs at $23

Probly some sect 3 stuff

Probly there be some negotiated sales before somebody flies home? Package deal??? Who knows

Hopefully in the fall there be another sale. There needs to be a blended internet/live sale cuz im sure the Chinese corvid lockdown will continue… gotta keep playing the WEF games!

In my mind, an internet sale to cater to the Chinese that cant sensibly leave or return to China, followed by a live sale. No more last second snipe bidding. No more conservative bids online cuz you run the risk of the live sale defeating your bid. Would pressure the buyers to pay up in numerous ways.
Old 06-24-2022, 10:33 AM
AO Sponsor

Don't get me wrong tho… i really do enjoy the snipe bidding game immensely. Yesterday’s chiropractor visit was the most fun chiropractor office visit of my life!
Old 06-25-2022, 08:51 AM

Default Fha

Has anyone got more fur sales numbers for coyotes, also marten, Fisher, lynx etc Thanks
Old 06-25-2022, 10:08 AM

I don’t know if they’re having problems updating accounts or if none of my fur sold. Nothing has changed in my account page since the sale started.
Old 06-26-2022, 07:25 AM

My account is updated now
Old 06-26-2022, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 204ruger View Post
My account is updated now
Mine isn’t yet but maybe there just starting to update them, hope you did well on yours
Old 06-26-2022, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotekiller View Post
Mine isn’t yet but maybe there just starting to update them, hope you did well on yours
Sold one out of 60 coyotes for 23$ US. Mine were what was left over from first sale so all my better goods sold then.
Old 06-26-2022, 03:09 PM

All my beavers sold and are updated on my account. I only had twenty coyotes but none of them are listed as sold yet. I’m hoping they’re just behind with updating…. My marten sold and I’ll have to wait on muskrat, ermine, squirrel and castor….
Old 06-27-2022, 09:43 AM

Almost All of my marten sold at very low prices, better grades did not sell . Fisher went at $35 and none of coyotes so far. (They were larger better grades)
Old 06-27-2022, 03:13 PM

Default raw fur prices

I knew fur prices were going be ugly but sounds like its even uglier.
It's not just a matter of being satisfied with the low prices but being happy they even sold.
Almost all the auctions in Western Canada have transitioned to TIMED AUCTION format. I don't know what format Fur Harvesters is using but they need to go with the TIMED AUCTIONS idea.
This facilitates the buyer to have time to view, bid, and make decisions.
The current system isn't representing the seller at all.
Old 06-28-2022, 07:51 AM
Banned

sold one out of 40 for 63 dollars.
Old 06-28-2022, 09:36 AM
AO Sponsor

I’m going to briefly try to explain something to you all, hopefully this will make you feel a little better about the fur markets.

The summary of the past winter regarding the fur business is best summed up by a two word quote from Howard Trager, “…No business…” This is not limited to coyotes by no means, basically no fur was selling in traditional markets, at all, worldwide. Didn’t matter if it was coyotes or lynx, fox, ranch mink or ranch fox, virtually nothing moving. This does not mean the fur industry is dead, but that currently, they do not want to buy any fur.

There are exceptions of course, beaver moved madly, finncoon I believe sold well and the zoo collection always into the taxidermy and novelty markets.

This permanent Chinese govt stupidity thing that they pretend to battle covid with is a huge roadblock, is it Chinese pride or is it a WEF play to intentionally disrupt the supply chain and cause massively increased inflation? Or other? I don’t know, but people have inventory, of skins, of finished goods, but in time the machine should technically fire up again.

But I do expect our wonderful WEF leaders to have more nasty surprises for us. If not tho, then it should be up, up, and away…

But coyotes will find a new floor at some point, just not yet. Thank you Mr Downey for not unloading the section 1 coyotes. Hopefully FHA can/will expand their cold storage ASAP to handle the typical NAFA volumes so stuff doesn’t cook and get ugly before sales occur or we all lose.
Old 06-30-2022, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Has anyone got more fur sales numbers for coyotes, also marten, Fisher, lynx etc Thanks
Only half of my marten sold, averaged 35 usd, looks like the better ones were unsold. Wolves, coyotes and foxes unsold. I sent in 1 lynx, put up for taxidermy, just to try something new and got 160usd so that's a ray of light.
Old 06-30-2022, 07:15 PM

Ended up selling 12 coyotes out of 65. 32.75 average, 6 for $40, 5 for $29 and 1 for 8$
Old 07-03-2022, 08:18 AM

Sold just shy of 700 beavers, averaged $20. Most of them were summer beavers.