Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-27-2022, 07:44 AM

Thumbs down Nikon rifle scope warranty 2022.

Just an fyi for all the Nikon fans out there, they won’t repair my brother in laws monarch 3 rifle scope that won’t hold zero, only offer a replacement of same or less value. The issue is they don’t make rifle scopes anymore so now he has to chose between a golf rangefinder that he doesn't need binoculars he doesn't need or a really ugly spotting scope that he would have to buy an eye piece for. Nikon going out of the rifle scope business is going to have a lot of really disappointed guys as time goes on.

Last edited by Dubious; 05-27-2022 at 08:08 AM.
Old 05-27-2022, 08:11 AM

I think he should read his warranty carefully. I’d be going for a full refund or replacement of his rifles scope. This is a Nikon problem, not your brother’s problem. Unless the fine print says they can replace a lifetime warrantied riflescope with a golfing rangefinder they may have no choice but to refund him.

A small claims case only costs $100.
Old 05-27-2022, 08:29 AM
Banned

Nikon pulled out of the rifle scope business a year or two ago
When they did their support for products ended
Old 05-27-2022, 08:43 AM

That's so maddening. Before they got out of the riflescope business, I had topped two of my rifles with their scopes.

Thankfully neither of them are too high-end.

One of the unintended consequences is that Nikon is near the bottom of my list for any new optics purchases. There are other optics manufacturers that do an outstanding job of standing behind their products.
Old 05-27-2022, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
I think he should read his warranty carefully. I’d be going for a full refund or replacement of his rifles scope. This is a Nikon problem, not your brother’s problem. Unless the fine print says they can replace a lifetime warrantied riflescope with a golfing rangefinder they may have no choice but to refund him.

Their warranty unfortunately has a statement about offering a credit towards alternative products now that they are out of the scope business.
Old 05-27-2022, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesteader View Post
Their warranty unfortunately has a statement about offering a credit towards alternative products now that they are out of the scope business.
But is that what the warranty stated at time of purchase is key.
Old 05-27-2022, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post

The warranty card clearly states “defective equipment will either be repaired or replaced at the option of the service facility. In the case of replacement, it may be replaced with a Nikon product of comparable value and condition.”

It’s a poor situation for him but i dont think this is a court case worth it or one he would win for a 650$ scope that isn’t made anymore.
Old 05-27-2022, 12:55 PM

Tough go for sure. Nikon Monarch 3 used to be the best value going.
Old 05-28-2022, 12:07 AM

If he can provide proof of purchase he can get a full refund. Went through this a few years ago.
Old 06-02-2022, 06:54 PM

Nikon mailed him a check minus the gst. An amicable solution to a unfortunate situation. It’s to bad he had to mail the scope to them on his dime for all this.
Old 06-02-2022, 07:46 PM

Hardly worth the whining to begin with, eh?
Old 06-02-2022, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmay View Post
Hardly worth the whining to begin with, eh?
Great observation thanks for your post. I’m glad you didn’t just scroll on by, with out your comment we would truly be lost on this topic.
Old 06-02-2022, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
Nikon mailed him a check minus the gst. An amicable solution to a unfortunate situation. It’s to bad he had to mail the scope to them on his dime for all this.
That is great news! I had a feeling it would work out as such.
Old 06-02-2022, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
Great observation thanks for your post. I’m glad you didn’t just scroll on by, with out your comment we would truly be lost on this topic.
LOL
This comment applies to a lot on this forum
Old 06-13-2022, 10:08 AM

Brutal. Companies need to realise this is going to cost them more in the long term behaving like this than it's worth.
Old 06-14-2022, 08:21 PM

Yep. They caved into the anti’s. I won’t buy any of their products now.
Old 06-14-2022, 09:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeart View Post
Yep. They caved into the anti’s. I won’t buy any of their products now.
I’ll still support Nikon above canon
Canon sponsors that weasel Marriott
Old 07-01-2022, 04:11 AM

So, about a month before Nikon declared that they would no longer sell scopes, I purchased a brand new Prostaff 5 2.5x10 bdc scope from Optics Planet and ATN BinoX 4-16x Smart DayNight Digital Binoculars, got it here.
I adore Nikons and assumed that if any of my dozen and a half Nikons failed, they would just fix them. As Murphy's Law would have it, I have that pro staff 5 2.5x10 scope sitting on a pistol, collecting dust. I had to go to the range twice and shoot less than 20 to 40 rounds before it failed. After zeroing it in, it was firing a foot left at one yard and four inches high with the very next shot. I returned to 50 yards, and the following shot was 7" right! I moved it 16 clicks to the left, and my bullet landed in the same hole as the first. I moved it 16 degrees to the left and found myself entirely off the 2.5' square paper target. I removed the optic, phoned Nikon, and was advised to send it back with my original receipt. I shipped it via USPS so that I could monitor it. They've had it for approximately a month. I received an email indicating it was on the bench over a week ago, and today I received an email claiming it's not repairable since it wasn't a "economic" repair for them, so Nikon issued me a coupon to use on their website for $229, which they believed was a suggested retail price. First and foremost, I supplied my receipt, which showed that I paid $273 and change for it a little more than a year ago. Second, why would I want a coupon to spend on their website when I need a scope and they no longer offer them? I'm not interested in a range finder, a camera, or a camera lens! I contacted Nikon support a few minutes ago and was as courteous as I could be, explaining that I needed my optic fixed, replaced (perhaps with a similar magnification optic), or refunded. I can't believe that after decades of selling optics, they don't have adequate components in stock for repairs...after only a year or two of not selling scopes. What worries me is that I have a dozen and a half additional Nikon Monarchs and Pros on my crew who will have to go through this process again if and when they fail. I'm certain I don't have receipts for all of them. I still have brand new Nikon scopes in boxes that I have yet to use. I'm thinking of selling all of my Nikons after hunting season. I plan to spend the funds on Leupold or Vortex replacements.
Old 07-01-2022, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourJo View Post
So, about a month before Nikon declared that they would no longer sell scopes, I purchased a brand new Prostaff 5 2.5x10 bdc scope from Optics Planet and ATN BinoX 4-16x Smart DayNight Digital Binoculars, got it here.
I adore Nikons and assumed that if any of my dozen and a half Nikons failed, they would just fix them. As Murphy's Law would have it, I have that pro staff 5 2.5x10 scope sitting on a pistol, collecting dust. I had to go to the range twice and shoot less than 20 to 40 rounds before it failed. After zeroing it in, it was firing a foot left at one yard and four inches high with the very next shot. I returned to 50 yards, and the following shot was 7" right! I moved it 16 clicks to the left, and my bullet landed in the same hole as the first. I moved it 16 degrees to the left and found myself entirely off the 2.5' square paper target. I removed the optic, phoned Nikon, and was advised to send it back with my original receipt. I shipped it via USPS so that I could monitor it. They've had it for approximately a month. I received an email indicating it was on the bench over a week ago, and today I received an email claiming it's not repairable since it wasn't a "economic" repair for them, so Nikon issued me a coupon to use on their website for $229, which they believed was a suggested retail price. First and foremost, I supplied my receipt, which showed that I paid $273 and change for it a little more than a year ago. Second, why would I want a coupon to spend on their website when I need a scope and they no longer offer them? I'm not interested in a range finder, a camera, or a camera lens! I contacted Nikon support a few minutes ago and was as courteous as I could be, explaining that I needed my optic fixed, replaced (perhaps with a similar magnification optic), or refunded. I can't believe that after decades of selling optics, they don't have adequate components in stock for repairs...after only a year or two of not selling scopes. What worries me is that I have a dozen and a half additional Nikon Monarchs and Pros on my crew who will have to go through this process again if and when they fail. I'm certain I don't have receipts for all of them. I still have brand new Nikon scopes in boxes that I have yet to use. I'm thinking of selling all of my Nikons after hunting season. I plan to spend the funds on Leupold or Vortex replacements.
Optics Planet shipped a scope to Canada?

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-01-2022, 11:00 AM

Any of you with Nikon scopes, broken or not, may want to think about applying for the refund, assuming you still have the receipt. Scope has no resale value, there are no non-Nikon repair shops so if it ever breaks it is useless. Might as well get your money back, or most of it, if you can.