Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-29-2022, 12:42 PM

Default CBSA issues

I ordered a firearms part (NOS BDL stock for a Remington 700) from Numrich Gun Parts Corp on June 2/2022. Parcel was sent USPS. Item was delivered to customs facility in Mississauga on June 7 early in the morning. I have had five phone conversation with CBSA agents over the last two weeks. The first four agents that responded stated the the USPS tracking number was not to be found anywhere in their system. The fifth agent I talked to this morning told me that the USPS tracking number is indeed in their system but it might take as long as two months to be reviewed and released to Canada Post as item is a gun part. Agent told me they are really backlogged and have hired new agents to review gun parts so it is taking longer than normal. Hmmm, maybe complicit with the federal government creating more delays for firearm related items.
Old 06-29-2022, 12:53 PM

When the USPS parcel enters Canada it will show up on the CP tracking site it’s easier than phoning
Old 06-29-2022, 01:01 PM

When there are no updates on Canada Post tracking after June 7 it is time to start phoning CBSA. Canada Post responded on their chat line that they have no further info on the status of the parcel as CBSA has not released the parcel to them for shipment to destination.
Old 06-29-2022, 01:53 PM

I would write an email to CBSA regarding all you stated and remind the CBSA people stocks are not ITAR regulated. And you will be following up with a letter to your MP about the over reach of there Office. My buddy just did this with CBSA over a stock from Boyds.....it was released the next day. I would also do a follow up with your MP as the more times they get taken to task the less hassle other should have.
Old 06-29-2022, 03:31 PM

CBSA needs an overhaul. No accountability. They work to rule. No desire to change. It’s a mess to put it mildly. 2 months is ridiculous. When you don’t know your own rules you would get backlogged.

Last edited by Pathfinder76; 06-29-2022 at 03:38 PM.
Old 06-29-2022, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda610 View Post
I would write an email to CBSA regarding all you stated and remind the CBSA people stocks are not ITAR regulated. And you will be following up with a letter to your MP about the over reach of there Office. My buddy just did this with CBSA over a stock from Boyds.....it was released the next day. I would also do a follow up with your MP as the more times they get taken to task the less hassle other should have.
Do you have a copy of that letter?
Old 06-29-2022, 07:27 PM

I do not have a copy of the letter he sent.
If it is the ITAR regulations your asking for Google is your friend.
The reason I say that is the more we read the regs as a firearms group the better we are prepared. That being said ITAR is actually the U.S side of rules they follow. Its CBSA screwing him around. If he is not exporting anything then alot of ITAR rules do not apply. Canada has some very lax laws on what you can import as far as simple gun parts. Cbsa just don't know there own jobs

Last edited by honda610; 06-29-2022 at 07:41 PM.
Old 06-30-2022, 12:11 AM

A tracking number isn't much use to the CBSA; it's not the format they, or the carriers use to communicate with each other. If an officer told you they found the parcel "in the system" they likely just checked the tracking status the way any normal person would have, through the carrier's website, but a tracking number does not show up "in the system".
Old 06-30-2022, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda610 View Post
I do not have a copy of the letter he sent.
If it is the ITAR regulations your asking for Google is your friend.
The reason I say that is the more we read the regs as a firearms group the better we are prepared. That being said ITAR is actually the U.S side of rules they follow. Its CBSA screwing him around. If he is not exporting anything then alot of ITAR rules do not apply. Canada has some very lax laws on what you can import as far as simple gun parts. Cbsa just don't know there own jobs
I’m painfully aware that the CBSA doesn’t know their own job. That is why I was curious about the letter. Whatever it was got action right away.
Old 06-30-2022, 06:58 AM

Joys of bureaucracy . I had a small part sit there for close to 3 months .
Old 06-30-2022, 08:12 AM
Shooting Xs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fps plus View Post
Joys of bureaucracy . I had a small part sit there for close to 3 months .
Yup, buddy ordered a bolt shroud for a 788 from Numrich in Feb.it hit the border on the28th.didn't get it till May 10th.
When he called CBSA in April to inquire, he was told "it's a firearm part, it's the last on the list of priority, it'll be a while yet"
Old 06-30-2022, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlagman View Post
A tracking number isn't much use to the CBSA; it's not the format they, or the carriers use to communicate with each other. If an officer told you they found the parcel "in the system" they likely just checked the tracking status the way any normal person would have, through the carrier's website, but a tracking number does not show up "in the system".
Sounds like you have insider information by your replay to my post.

When I phoned CBSA all five agents asked for my full name, full address and the tracking number. If the information you stated is correct than the first four agents were not providing a service if they did not use the tracking number I gave them when they replied the tracking number I gave them was not in their system. The fifth agent did state that the tracking number I gave to her was indeed in their system, and did not state that she used the Canada Post tracking system to verify status of my parcel.

Is it possible that you work for CBSA/Canada Customs at YCC based on your address as Airdrie?

To the other members who have replied thank you.

I had already contemplated sending a complaint email to CBSA and to my MP before starting this thread. Likely will proceed with the complaint email to CBSA and my MP after this long weekend if there are no updates on Canada Post tracking over the weekend.
Old 06-30-2022, 09:11 AM

Default Complaint submission to CBSA

I just checked the CBSA online info regarding complaints submitted to them.

They indicate that their timeline to respond is 35 days. Incredible and completely not acceptable.

It appears a email to my MP is the best alternative.
Old 07-06-2022, 06:54 AM

Default Wow

Rifle stock released by CBSA late yesterday, two days short of a full month.
Old 07-06-2022, 07:17 AM
Shooting Xs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athabasca1 View Post
Rifle stock released by CBSA late yesterday, two days short of a full month.
That timeline seems to be the norm these days.
I ordered a F-Class stock from US, they shipped it Fed Ex. total shipping came to $124.00 CDN. between the two, had it in 5 days though.
They were 6 months behind on getting their order and it was April already and I needed it.
Pick your poison.