Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-21-2022, 05:01 PM

Default Winchester 300WSM 180g powerpoint FAIL

Son has an XBolt in 300wsm

Bought a box of Winchester Super X 300wsm 180g at Boyt's Dept Store in Fairview.

Tried to load them into his rifle, but couldnt close the bolt. Tried all 20, only 3 allowed him to close the bolt.

My buddy has a Tikka 300wsm. We tried them in his gun. He couldnt close his bolt on them either

So now Im gonna try the Winchester Ammo complaint centre...... I will keep y'all posted.

I did mark one of the rounds up with a sharpie and tried to close the bolt. The issue is in the shoulder of the ammo. it seems too thick....i think I COULD crush it if I really pushed down on the bolt, but whats the point.....
Old 06-21-2022, 05:19 PM

That's a pretty high fail rate. Got to be something wrong with the batch. They will recognize the lot # if it's an issue that's already reported. But that does suck.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 06-21-2022, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
That's a pretty high fail rate. Got to be something wrong with the batch. They will recognize the lot # if it's an issue that's already reported. But that does suck.
Yeah $59 for 3 rounds....lol. At least he had 3 that he could use tho.......
Old 06-21-2022, 06:24 PM

Sucky deal...hope it gets resolved.
Old 06-21-2022, 06:26 PM

Too bad you don't know anyone with a body die for the 300wsm, or you could run them all through, so they chamber.
Old 06-21-2022, 11:29 PM

I have seen a lot of this of late at our range with vtrious brands of rifles and factory ammo.'
No pattern to it at all exept my own speculation that things are running full tilt boogie with manufacturers using employees that are working far too many shifts, new employees that are inexperienced in QA/QC, and the whole ammo shortage/COVID related scenarios.

To date , I have seen ammo /rifle issues with Tikka, Savage, Browning,Bergara Defiance.
Ammo was 6.5 Creedmoor Hornady, federal 308 Win, annd some Winchester 7mm Mag.
More in the last 3 months than I have seen in more than 50 years !
If you get a combination of ammo on the larger side upper end of SAAMI specs, and a rifle on the tighter side of the lower end of the specs, you are in for a goat ropin'.
Cat
Old 06-22-2022, 06:15 AM

I haven't heard of this happening that often but one time I bought a box of Remington core lokts for my .243. They all shot except 1. There was a 30-30 round in the box. I just kept it for a little souvinour.
Old 06-22-2022, 08:34 AM

Can probably happen with all rounds, but reloading my 300 WSM years ago gave me fits. I tired to polish down the shell holder which helped but I never got that round as perfectly sized as I’d have liked. That X-bolt was a tack driver, but between reloading and the trigger it was an easy choice for me. Still the most accurate Hunting rifle I’ve ever owned. Would never trade my T3 06 for it back though.
Old 06-23-2022, 01:03 AM

Lady named Beth from Graywood in Ontario is handling this. She wants me to mail the ammo back to her. She pays postage etc and says i will receive reimbursement in 8-10 weeks.....so we will see......
Old 06-23-2022, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Lady named Beth from Graywood in Ontario is handling this. She wants me to mail the ammo back to her. She pays postage etc and says i will receive reimbursement in 8-10 weeks.....so we will see......
So she wants you to mail the ammunition? You would think that she would know that mailing ammunition is not allowed in Canada.
Old 06-23-2022, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
So she wants you to mail the ammunition? You would think that she would know that mailing ammunition is not allowed in Canada.
I guess if it has certain markings on it Purolator will take it. She sent me the labels to put on the box....ive received ammo, but never shipped it so im off to Purolator ! Lol
Old 06-27-2022, 09:25 PM

I encountered this in a couple of my rifles with different shelf loads. My 270WSM loves the Winchester 140 Accubonds. One particular box would not chamber completely. I could not close the bolt. Found huge gouges in the shoulder of the cases. Only one box ever did this. Found the same thing with a box of 300WSM, Winchester 180 Accubonds. Same issue with gouges on the shoulder of the case.
Old 06-28-2022, 06:42 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

And that is why I tell the average Joe that when you buy a box of ammo or two, sit at the range and sight the rifle in to cycle all rounds through to ensure they work as they should. A box of twenty might all work or not and you all know if poop happens it happens at the most inconvenient time.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-28-2022, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
And that is why I tell the average Joe that when you buy a box of ammo or two, sit at the range and sight the rifle in to cycle all rounds through to ensure they work as they should. A box of twenty might all work or not and you all know if poop happens it happens at the most inconvenient time.
I make a habit of cycling the hand loaded rounds I am going to use as well.
Better to find out before hand!
Cat