Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-25-2023, 12:48 PM

I'm an aught 6 guy but I will say my 270 WSM has brought down antelope, moose and deer on single shots out to 300+ yards. Can't complain about that. Now if I could only find some ammo to buy for it.
Old 01-25-2023, 01:15 PM

Love my custom .340 Wby. 250 NP at 2900 fps. So, about the same trajectory as my 7mm Rem Mag and significantly more energy. Recoil is very manageable without a brake. Really hard to find a situation in NA that it wouldn't be either ideal or very close to it.
Old 01-25-2023, 01:44 PM
Banned

270 Win
Old 01-26-2023, 06:05 AM

The title is all round rifle. To me that rifle would mean everything from a gopher to a grizzly. A lot of them here would do a grizzly in but an afternoon in the gopher patch would develop a pretty good flinch.
Old 01-26-2023, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgl1948 View Post
The title is all round rifle. To me that rifle would mean everything from a gopher to a grizzly. A lot of them here would do a grizzly in but an afternoon in the gopher patch would develop a pretty good flinch.
Granted, but the OP mentioned a bigger all around rifle and alluded to big game, not all game
Cat
Old 01-26-2023, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgl1948 View Post
Whacked many a gopher with a .300 wby back in the day. Still no flinch...
Old 01-26-2023, 09:15 AM
Shooting Xs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracker View Post
I'm an aught 6 guy but I will say my 270 WSM has brought down antelope, moose and deer on single shots out to 300+ yards. Can't complain about that. Now if I could only find some ammo to buy for it.
LOL
If the OP had included "that you can find ammo for" this would be a much shorter list.
Old 01-26-2023, 10:23 PM

- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 01-27-2023, 10:37 PM

Hard to better a 280 AI as it’s a GREAT ! Cartridge RJ
Old 01-28-2023, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Whacked many a gopher with a .300 wby back in the day. Still no flinch...

Hahaha. No such thing as too big when hunting dangerous game.

I took down a "clump" of those bad boys with a 12g and #2's once which was a really bad idea. Air pressure in the truck increased x1000, had to lipread for a week, and spilled my beer. So many lessons learned with one pull of a trigger.

Last edited by 270person; 01-28-2023 at 07:07 AM.
Old 01-28-2023, 06:59 AM

Once one has been charged by an angry gopher it’s a situation one never forgets ! Never enough gun for that !!
Old 01-28-2023, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post

I took down a "clump" of those bad boys with a 12g and #2's once which was a really bad idea. Air pressure in the truck increased x1000, had to lipread for a week, and spilled my beer. So many lessons learned with one pull of a trigger.
Lesson #1. Beer in cup holder, not between legs.

Yanked both triggers at the same time on a gopher with a side by side 12. Trigger guard took skin off my knuckle on that one. Got the gopher though
No real lessons learned
Old 02-05-2023, 04:24 PM

Default This settles the big question about the .270

This is a great take on the .270 Win. Nice to see a South African doing gun video's

https://youtu.be/oqEl60f90Fg

Best line in the video , "a horse and a carriage will get you from point A to point B but its 2023 and there are better ways to get there."
Old 02-05-2023, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
This is a great take on the .270 Win. Nice to see a South African doing gun video's

https://youtu.be/oqEl60f90Fg

Best line in the video , "a horse and a carriage will get you from point A to point B but its 2023 and there are better ways to get there."
I don't think it settles it at all.
The issue of course is that shot placement at long range boils down to a wind call, amd a 6.5 Creed won't give you enough advantage in that situation over a .270.
The majority of hunters cannot tell the difference in the ballistics of cartridges that close together, and as far as recoil goes. The vast majority of rifles these days come with brakes installed so that advantage is out the window as well.

He also makes the point about shooting an heirloom rifle or a rifle you have owned for years.
Bottom line is if you want a new rifle go out and buy it, period .
That being said, I won't buy a rifle chambered in 270 unless I plan on rebarreling it - but them I feel the same about the Creedmoor.
Cat
Old 02-05-2023, 10:47 PM

Default Funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I don't think it settles it at all.
The issue of course is that shot placement at long range boils down to a wind call, amd a 6.5 Creed won't give you enough advantage in that situation over a .270.
The majority of hunters cannot tell the difference in the ballistics of cartridges that close together, and as far as recoil goes. The vast majority of rifles these days come with brakes installed so that advantage is out the window as well.

He also makes the point about shooting an heirloom rifle or a rifle you have owned for years.
Bottom line is if you want a new rifle go out and buy it, period .
That being said, I won't buy a rifle chambered in 270 unless I plan on rebarreling it - but them I feel the same about the Creedmoor.
Cat
That post made me laugh thanks Cat
Old 02-06-2023, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
That post made me laugh thanks Cat
After Messing around with firearms extensively since 1966, I stand by posts 13 and 14
I love the early Winchester M70's , I just can't shoot them well without a stock change .

The 270 Winchester just doesn't crank my tractor, even the very accurate one I had in a gorgeous #1!
The Creedmoor? It does everything very well, and the match rifle I had barreled up was an outstanding performer, but this thread is about hunting rifles , not match rifles , so that one doesn't count
Now. If they brought out a Ruger#1RSI in 6.5Creedmoor I might take a second look , however it would likely be around the price of a Courtney Stalking rifle and they come in my favourite chambering , so I doubt it would end up in my gun locker anyway!
Like I stated earlier though, MY choice of the ultimate rifle/ cartridge is , well, what it is.
I know many would not be able caught dead with a Uberti Stalking rifle in .303 Brit, unless the eye holes in their paper bag were cut just right so they could see white shooting !
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 02-06-2023 at 07:52 AM.
Old 02-06-2023, 06:37 PM

I'm a big 308 fan.. 18-20" tube shooting a 150-168gr pill...
But I think the ol 06 is a better choice all round.... 110gr to 220gr...a very capable cartridge out to 500yds.
Old 02-06-2023, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Lesson #1. Beer in cup holder, not between legs.

Yanked both triggers at the same time on a gopher with a side by side 12. Trigger guard took skin off my knuckle on that one. Got the gopher though
No real lessons learned

Thanks gents. I needed a laugh.
Old 02-06-2023, 10:01 PM

If I could only have one It'd be really tough not to grab my 30-06.
Not only the most versatile cartridge out there IMHO, but I have it in the nicest rifle Browning ever made; a BBR.

The 300 Bee would get the nod if the '06 was deemed too passé, but you're not going to want that in a light rifle in my opinion.
I would stick to something with a shorter action, like 30-06.

Last edited by CBintheNorth; 02-06-2023 at 10:11 PM.