Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 05-08-2018, 12:47 PM

Default Nafa grades are up

Well the yotes are graded and posted. Hope everyone has has good grades!
Old 05-08-2018, 01:15 PM

Gonna cheak em our see how my first year in sask trapping paid off
Old 05-08-2018, 03:16 PM

Nope grades are brutal on mine... pray for high prices
Old 05-08-2018, 03:34 PM

Hopefully they take them down and put my actual good grades up. Lots of damaged. And these were caught all around the same time as my other ones which sold last sale with good grades so must have got a grader in a bad mood. On the other hand my skunks all got good grades so comeon skunks

Last edited by kingrat; 05-08-2018 at 04:00 PM.
Old 05-08-2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
Hopefully they take them down and put my actual good grades up. Lots of damaged. And these were all around the same time as my other ones which sold last sale so must have got a grader in a bad mood.
Me too... same deal.
Old 05-08-2018, 04:35 PM

I thought I would be hearing good news on grades. I was kind of curious how everyone else's grades were because mine were really good. I even managed to get one in the top lot. Been trying for a long time and have come close. Funny thing is I never noticed a yote that really stuck out in the pile, lots of nice yotes just not a standout.
Old 05-08-2018, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskbone View Post
I thought I would be hearing good news on grades. I was kind of curious how everyone else's grades were because mine were really good. I even managed to get one in the top lot. Been trying for a long time and have come close. Funny thing is I never noticed a yote that really stuck out in the pile, lots of nice yotes just not a standout.
Well there we have it. They accidently switched mine and yours I'll phone Nafa. Congrats on top lot that's awesome. And no my grades last sale were way better but hopefully prices will still be good. Good luck on your top lot that's exciting.
Old 05-08-2018, 04:57 PM

I got most of mine on the first sale. These coyotes I sent this time were not the best looking, late Jan/feb caught but the grades were really good. Thought they would be mostly 11’s
Old 05-08-2018, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Hopefully they take them down and put my actual good grades up. Lots of damaged. And these were caught all around the same time as my other ones which sold last sale with good grades so must have got a grader in a bad mood. On the other hand my skunks all got good grades so comeon skunks
All my early coyotes were on the first sale and graded xcellent. Above my expectations in fact. All my best coyotes are on this sale and they did not grade as good. Not sure why as I am sure there is a reason. Over all I am still very happy with the grades but still I have to scratch my head a little!
Old 05-08-2018, 05:39 PM
Banned

Congrats on the Top Lot Coyote, Saskbone! I hope that you get as much as the last Top Lot sold for!

Grades aren't as good as last auction but still pretty darned good. Not as many labeled furs and a few more section III's (shot dogs I guess) will bring my average down but the bottom line should look great. If prices stay the same as last auction I'll be very happy.

Now where's my one frozen out muskrat?
Old 05-09-2018, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APAShooter View Post
Nope grades are brutal on mine... pray for high prices
Me too bud , an eye opener for me .. I thought they were better than the first sales offering .
Old 05-09-2018, 09:01 AM

All in all not too bad. Best dog is in lot number 2, 8 total in the top 20. Only a couple 11's so that's positive. More damage than I expected but most are SDA MED 1-4 so should hopefully still sell good.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:30 AM
Banned

So, you guys posting are reporting the same as what my grades sound like.......more pelts graded damaged. I had fewer Labeled and about 3 times as many Damaged compared to the last auction. I had quite a few more shot coyotes in this one so that may explain that. I also felt that the quality of fur dropped off fairly early this year compared to the last two seasons so I'm not too surprised by getting fewer Labeled pelts. Last year I trapped coyotes right up until the last day and this year I pulled my snares at the end of January.

Last night I compared prices to grades from the last auction and in the end, if prices remain the same, my average should only drop about $6. That's still a slightly better average than I got last year so I can live with that.

Labeled 10.3%
I-II 39.7%
II - 30.9%
Damaged - 19.1%
Old 05-09-2018, 04:26 PM

Coyote grades are now gone. Hopefully when they come back up they're better just like last sale.
Old 05-09-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Coyote grades are now gone. Hopefully when they come back up they're better just like last sale.
We can hope
Old 05-09-2018, 08:19 PM

Not good hearing grades are poor. This sale's the first I am selling direct, had too late a start to get them in for the first sale but what I did have for this second one were all caught in January. (Sold for years to buyers and based off that-history I thought these were pretty nice skins..) Felt pretty confident sending them.

How do you guys check your grades? When i took mine to the depot (being it's the first time I registered) the ladies said I'd get a call with a login number of some kind but I never did.. is there a way to find it, and go look at my grades someplace?
Old 05-09-2018, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Me too bud , an eye opener for me .. I thought they were better than the first sales offering .
I am by no means an expert but have been shipping to Nafa for over twenty years. I only shipped my best and still had a few graded damaged. I think I need some glasses. My coyotes are also better than what I sold on the first sale but the grades sure didn’t reflect that. See what happens.
Old 05-09-2018, 09:09 PM
Banned

Whiskeywillow.......click on the wild fur tab and contact Mary here: http://www.nafa.ca/contact-us/
Old 05-10-2018, 09:54 AM

Whiskey, few years back but if I recall you only need to open your NAFA account online, put in address, phone number etc and your NAFA number.
Then just poke around and you will find your grades, if you have trouble Mary can help but probably quite busy with May sale coming up.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:46 PM
Banned

Okay, show us the real, better grades please.
Old 05-10-2018, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Okay, show us the real, better grades please.
Wouldnt that be great ??
Old 05-10-2018, 04:57 PM
Banned

Based on how many people are reporting terrible grades on their best fur I'm thinking that they did the same as last auction. I was shocked at the first grades that they posted and after disappearing and being re-posted I was elated. 10% labelled fur......maybe. 19% damaged fur including three section III's......that doesn't seem right to me. I don't send in section III's but I do get one occasionally from slipping or whatever.
Old 05-10-2018, 06:22 PM

It seems the auction catalog is still the same so could it be that the grades we see are not actually where our coyotes are? I'm confused as to how grades could be messed up? do they regrade? that seems like a lot of work and not a lot of time. If any one can elaborate on how the grades could be wrong that would be great
Old 05-10-2018, 06:32 PM

Last sale was the first time I've ever seen that happen but it was exactly the same the lotting letters were up early with lots of bad grades than gone than back with much better grades. And no they don't regrade them must of been an entry mistake or something.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:55 PM
Banned

Grades are back up but mine didn’t change I don’t think.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskbone View Post
Hi Saskbone, when you say that you have one in the Top Lot do you mean that you have one of the 10 coyotes grade *SSL in the lot 343601 ? If it is the case good for you. I noticed that those 10 coyotes are grade PL. I never caught any coyote PL color in my area. Most of my catch are DBR or Med with couple Gc sometime.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:29 PM

I have a question for you fellow trappers, I sent 40 coyotes for this auction and I know they received it with my receipt in my NAFA account. The thing that I don't understand, only 38 of my coyotes have been graded ??? First time I see that. Do you have any explanations ?
Old 05-10-2018, 09:49 PM

Buck that is the lot I have one in. I had a couple dozen that went GC this sale. Last sale I had one. Most of my coyotes in this sale went DK or DBR.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:52 PM
Banned

I had a look at why, with fewer labeled pelts and so many more damaged pelts, my average, based on last auction’s prices, only went down about US$6.......

Last auction MED colour were the preferred pelts for buyers and they brought better money than the GC. Coincidentally I have a significant number of pelts that graded MED when I had almost none last auction. Funny how things work out.

Another interesting observation.....

I finally had a look at my fox. I only had two in the first auction and they graded Heavy (bought back) but all six that I put in this time were graded semi. I guess that after December the fox fur deprecated quickly.

Gotta head to Trapping Talk to read about the $20/coyotes that some of the American Trappers are getting, just to put things into perspective.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:15 AM

After enough years of dealing with this crap i have now come to the conclusion that NAFA grading is absolute joke. Every auction its the same bullsh*t.. some guys get lucky and are happy some guys get screwed and are ****ed.
I firmly believe that they have way to much volume to deal with in a short amount of time... they open a box and just start tossing them into bins.

Nothing else explains the egregious discrepancies we have all experienced.