Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-12-2015, 08:00 PM

Angry Another stolen camera.

Well here it goes again.

Seems like every year this subject gets talked about more and more. Bear bait site wasn't even hit by a bear, and my dads camera is gone. Unfortunately it wasn't caged or locked. Took them less then 8 days to get it. Would love to get my hands on them.

Can we start a thread with suspect and vehicle descriptions and start posting and getting these guys caught?

Mark
Old 04-12-2015, 08:11 PM

Sad to. Say. But. Soon as baits are starting to be put out and marked. The trail camera thefts look for your signs and start. Hunting trail camers. With all signs. With bait in the area.it is easy pick in. I have lots a few as well.
Old 04-12-2015, 08:17 PM

seems to be the way of the world these, need something don't bother buying it, just go steal it, save your money, Bastar%s
Old 04-12-2015, 08:28 PM

You might consider trying the spypoint with remote storage. Those idiot thieves would drive themselves crazy looking for the storage device. IF they even figured it out in the 1st place

http://www.spypoint.com/EN/products/tiny-serie.html
Old 04-13-2015, 12:08 AM

With all the technology available...why will camera makers not put a password and gps tracking device built right into the camera!? I guess it sells them more
Old 04-13-2015, 12:15 AM

Im about done with all of these scumbags.
Its a shame theft is no longer confined to urban areas.

Im going to fiddel with a trail camera, see if i cant get it to produce a high voltage shock when touched.
Old 04-13-2015, 01:03 AM

It's crazy, I've lost two now in the last two years.
Old 04-13-2015, 06:32 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Crap, I don't leave mine out now because it seems the woods fill full of thieves or I place them so high up it is hard for them to get at or even notice. Remember thieves are not the brightest so we need to come up with an alternate way to outsmart the common thieve. Any ideas please share, leg traps

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-13-2015, 08:03 AM

Default Gps

I use gps tracked spy point live 3G. Hope they take that one. No lock or chain. Just go to their door to reclaim. Theft alert triggered as soon as she is moved. Might just put a sign up saying that to avoid jail time. Hehe. A second camera hidden w infrared looking at main cam also works. Gluck w the burrs.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:09 AM

I don't hunt bear, but the concept of hunting thieves is very appealing (using a camera of course, for evidence in court, not suggesting otherwise).
Old 04-13-2015, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydro1 View Post
Im about done with all of these scumbags.
Its a shame theft is no longer confined to urban areas.

Im going to fiddel with a trail camera, see if i cant get it to produce a high voltage shock when touched.
There may be away if you could wire up an old magneto off an an ol gas engine tractor. We have played with one off my buddy's Minnie.
If you could charge the magneto and hide it and have wires to the cam, but you need a conductor material glued to your camera . It may take a bit of playing to get it right but could be done.
Maybe a bait cam with a loaded pre charge of pepper spray that goes off when the latch is popped.. Again would take a little redneck ingenuity but likley could be done..

I haven't lost one yet , but mine are all on private land , I have my buissness card taped inside and a note saying there is a second camera so smile.
I did have some buddy's mess with my SD card to get a rise out me!! It worked lol.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:20 AM

I mentioned it before but dummy cams with the dye banks use would be hilarious if caught on another well hidden cam.

At first I thought it was opportunist's walking trails close to public areas. Now with all the ones taken along with stands etc. I unfortunately have to believe it is other hunters doing the stealing.

Who else would know to find a bear bait station and then go in with the possibility of meeting a bear just to steal a cam. Unless they were hoping to hunt the site when no one was there and got caught on a cam.

Brutal that some in our own group would do this but it is the way of the world these days, take others hard earned possessions without an ounce of remorse.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:34 AM

Agreed ^^^

Well I wasn't gonna do this, but have decided to (against my better judgement), but the guy I suspect stole the camera was driving -

A newer black Ford f250-350 ( possibly Harley davidson edition)
With a custom grill with a big shiny silver "X" in the middle of it.
And I believe there was decals on the windows as well.
Guy had dark, longer hair, possibly a little curly.
Lic plate # started with "BGK-XXXX". Don't wanna give the entire #, but we have it.
This happened out near ft Assiniboine. So if anyone out that way has seen this truck driving around, be wary of what you leave behind.

We had just pulled up and within a minute of being there, this guy drove by slowly, and had to go to the end of the dead end road to turn around. Where he waited for us to unload the machines and leave.

Well we suspected something was up, and waited him out for around 20 min, to get the description. And by the time we got down to the site, noticed the cam was gone.

We have never had anyone at this site before( that we know of) and have never had anything go missing or be disturbed.

But you can believe if we see this truck again, there will be a confrontation, and possibly retaliation

So if anyone recognizes the truck in question, feel free to PM me and let me know names, addresses, etc.

This stuff has to stop. We are supposed to be fighting this fight together. So let's start rallying and catching these guys.

Thanks for all that have read this and help out with it.

Mark

Ps.. and you can bet on several more cams being put up in the same location, because you just know he will try to hunt or return to the bait looking for more freebies. And if any pics are taken, they WILL BE POSTED for everyone on here to see.

Rant over

Last edited by Marko; 04-13-2015 at 11:40 AM.
Old 04-13-2015, 01:13 PM

Has anyone tried putting something like this inside there trail camera?

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detai...612569345.html

Battery life doesn't look that good, but I am sure there is a way to increase that.
Old 07-08-2015, 05:59 PM

Default Busted stealing trail cam

So these guys trespass on my property and then steal 1 of my cameras. Fortunately I bust them doing this. I know who they are and have their vehicle plate on camera as well. They drove right by a no trespassing written permission only sign as well. Wonder what steps I should take?
Old 07-08-2015, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyg313 View Post
So these guys trespass on my property and then steal 1 of my cameras. Fortunately I bust them doing this. I know who they are and have their vehicle plate on camera as well. They drove right by a no trespassing written permission only sign as well. Wonder what steps I should take?
Charge them?
Old 07-08-2015, 06:22 PM

for trespassing maybe, good luck on the theft
Old 07-08-2015, 06:30 PM
Gone Hunting

Help them get a job so they can afford to buy their own camera.

Call the cops. If you get no satisfaction , out them. Social media works.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 07-08-2015, 09:22 PM

Lost one this year to. I'm thinking the land owner took it while fencing, hopefully I can get it back but who knows
Old 07-08-2015, 09:34 PM

Only a matter of time before most trail camera companies offer a gps chip option
Old 07-08-2015, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by super7mag View Post
There may be away if you could wire up an old magneto off an an ol gas engine tractor. We have played with one off my buddy's Minnie.
If you could charge the magneto and hide it and have wires to the cam, but you need a conductor material glued to your camera . It may take a bit of playing to get it right but could be done.
Maybe a bait cam with a loaded pre charge of pepper spray that goes off when the latch is popped.. Again would take a little redneck ingenuity but likley could be done..

I haven't lost one yet , but mine are all on private land , I have my buissness card taped inside and a note saying there is a second camera so smile.
I did have some buddy's mess with my SD card to get a rise out me!! It worked lol.
Whoops, never saw this.
I did something similar, however the shock I was getting was insufficient.
Pepper spray is a good idea but, it would have to be aimed flawlessly.
Pretty sad when one considers such measures to protect a couple hundred dollar piece of equipment off in the bush.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:58 PM

Default trail cams

just a thought but be careful about the retalitory thinking but that could get you charged and not the person you are after . Unfortunitly we have all had issues with some sort of people doing things they shouldn't do. My big beef is people hunting land without permission and screwing up land that we used to be able to hunt on but what does a landowner to do .
Old 07-08-2015, 11:28 PM

put a leg hold trap out with the camera , then you get to keep the camera and get some free bear bait
Old 07-09-2015, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dynamite View Post
With all the technology available...why will camera makers not put a password and gps tracking device built right into the camera!? I guess it sells them more
GPS trackers don't help much without a reliable manner to transmit the location - which can be problematic given the remote, foliage-dense areas where one would typically locate a camera. Adequate cell coverage isn't always guaranteed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
Has anyone tried putting something like this inside there trail camera?

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detai...612569345.html

Battery life doesn't look that good, but I am sure there is a way to increase that.
This is promising.

Just a word of advice here - careful when talking about booby-traps and "retribution" online - if you ever find yourself in court over such a matter as this, your internet history will not help support your case... Just sayin'...
Old 07-09-2015, 12:58 PM

^^ "premeditation" is not a word you want used in court !
Old 08-01-2015, 09:24 AM

I just dont understand why the f@ck other hunters go an steal other hunters trails cams and blinds and tree stands i had it happen to me more then once and one day i hape i catch them in the act
Old 08-01-2015, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centralalbertasongdogslay View Post
I just dont understand why the f@ck other hunters go an steal other hunters trails cams and blinds and tree stands i had it happen to me more then once and one day i hape i catch them in the act
Kinda like a drone, put it out there and it's gonna get shot at. Risk you take, better get used to it.

Grizz
Old 08-01-2015, 10:50 AM

How often do you think the thief has 4 legs?

A friend took me to see his setup a couple years ago, and when we got to his spot, the camera was gone. This was a walk in spot on private posted land. After his rant and frustration eased we looked around for sign of the bears he thought were coming in to his bait, and in the edge of the little water hole near by we found his camera, submerged in a foot of water.
When he took out the card and dried it, the thief was identified by it's dental records.
Seems he had been cooking bacon before mounting his camera, and of course he was handling his bait too. Lots of tooth and tongue photos of the hairy thief were on the card.