Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-16-2017, 05:39 PM

Default Fjallraven

Has anyone ever tried the Vida Pro Trousers by Fjallraven? Or anything by them?
Looking for a good pair of hunting pants and am leaning towards the first lite obsidian pair but just discovered this company today and have seen nothing but good things from my research.
These would be a fair bit cheaper but not sure about noise or UV signature or scent, all of these the obsidians seem to have well under control due to the merino.
Going to try them both on this week but thought I'd see if anyone has any first hand experience.
Thanks!

Schian
Old 08-16-2017, 05:48 PM

Haven't tried any of their products yet, but I sure like the looks of 'em!
Old 08-16-2017, 07:31 PM

Their stuff looks good, I almost bought one of their winter parkas a few years ago, but ended up with something different. Not sure if it makes any difference, but I think their clothing at one time was all made in Sweden, but now some or a lot of it is made in China.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:39 PM

I picked up a pair of obsidians a few days ago and put a weekend of outdoors use on them. 60 km mountain biking, 10km hiking, too many km bushwhacking, 1500 metres scrambling, 100 terrifying metres rock climbing. I think they're pretty sweet.

No experience with the vidda pro pants.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
Old 08-16-2017, 10:00 PM

Where do you guys buy this brand? I know Grouse River carried some but they do not anymore as far as I know...
Old 08-16-2017, 10:14 PM

I have a pair of Vida Pros, great pants, lots of pockets, they blouse well with hiking boots, but not really quiet in the bush

"She took all my money, she wrecked my new car, now she's with one of my good time buddies, and they're drinkin' in some cross town bar"!
Old 08-16-2017, 10:22 PM

My favourite pair of pants. Better than the arcteryx ones I own but never thought of using them for hunting. No reason you couldn't though. Wear them scouting all the time.

Check out Monod's sports. Got mine on sale but the original website had the next best pricing.
Old 08-17-2017, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeiteasybird View Post
Where do you guys buy this brand? I know Grouse River carried some but they do not anymore as far as I know...
Cabela's carries a limited selection of some of their stuff.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:29 AM

I've got a pair of the Fjall Raven Keb trousers and they'll rock solid. Best pants I've probably ever owned.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:24 AM

I bought the vids pro pants last year. Got them in Banff at their store there. I hunted with them last year. I try not to wash with soap. And when I do, it's soap that doesn't.t have any brightners in it. I put a bit of wax on the butt for when I'm sitting and from the knees down. The wax below the knees made it a bit noisy so I washed it out and it was much better. Great pants. I expect they will last yeas and years.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:55 PM

I also have a pair of Vidda pro pants. I use them mainly for camping and riding motorcycles. I'm very happy with them and if they ever wear out ill be getting another pair.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:40 PM

Our Rescue team wear them. We get ours from Track N Trail In Edmonton who are a sponsor for our team. Excellent well wearing pants!
Old 08-17-2017, 10:27 PM

**update
I tried on both pairs today and I can honestly say that both are great pants....for what they're designed for. I really like the fjallraven pants but they're definitely not for hunting, too loud and not as soft/flexible as I'd like in a hunting pant.

I tried both the obsidian and corrugate by first light and am now undecided which I like better. Both have pros and cons. But I feel like I can't really go wrong either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboyz View Post
Our Rescue team wear them. We get ours from Track N Trail In Edmonton who are a sponsor for our team. Excellent well wearing pants!
I tried some there today and ya, they are super nice, just not for hunting, for me
anyway. Will probably have to pick up a pair for hiking eventually tho.

Schian
Old 08-18-2017, 01:54 PM

sometimes thelasthunt site has good deals on FR stuff
Old 08-21-2017, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSteel View Post
I picked up a pair of obsidians a few days ago and put a weekend of outdoors use on them. 60 km mountain biking, 10km hiking, too many km bushwhacking, 1500 metres scrambling, 100 terrifying metres rock climbing. I think they're pretty sweet.

No experience with the vidda pro pants.

How do they seem as far as durability??
That's my only hang up and from what I'm reading seems like it could be an issue. If I'm gonna spend $240 on pants they had better last a while.

Schian
Old 08-21-2017, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schian View Post
How do they seem as far as durability??
That's my only hang up and from what I'm reading seems like it could be an issue. If I'm gonna spend $240 on pants they had better last a while.

Schian
I'd say it depends on how you intend to use them.

These pants will be my main hunting/scouting/hiking pants. To me, that usually entails high km days through more open type forest/terrain where so far they have been great. I feel like I should get a good life span out of them with that kind of usage.

If I were going to be busting bush for a large percent of my time, I would almost certainly choose something thicker like my Icebreaker Field pants or a cotton/synthetic pant that wouldn't be as prone to snagging.