Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-14-2017, 08:02 PM

Default Late August Moose Hunt - Tips and Tactics

All geared up for my hunt and know where I'll be hunting, but as this will be my first moose hunt I figured I'd check with you guys and gals to see if there are tips, tactics or advice you would offer up for a late August spot and stalk archery hunt for moose.

I'll be in crown land in 514 and have scouted some drainages and creeks feeding a lake, a couple of willow flats etc. That have a bit of topography I can use to glass. But things up there are pretty thick so I'll still hunt from one glassing area to the next.

Checking with guys at work (no bow hunters) I've heard that I should try calling, others say not to bother - every tactic I can think of has proponents both for and against, it seems.

I'm still building priority to draw a tag and figured at the very least this would be a good learning opportunity.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 08-14-2017, 09:36 PM

Default go ahead

I'd do a bunch of looking before I would call.

If you do a bull greeting grunt when walking around slowly you can have moose in the area vocalize back. This early I don't get them to move but they will communicate back and you can get an idea of what's around.

I don't know that area at all. If they are hunted hard they could be the silent types...
Old 08-14-2017, 09:39 PM

Still early for the moose rut, so pretty much impossible to call them in, you would need to cover as much ground as possible to try find a moose in such early season

I would use this time to scout and look for sign like beds, poop and tracks, then go back to the area during rut and call from a blind or tree stand

You should be looking for elk right now, they are the first animal to rut in the season and hunting the rut is the best advise anyone can give you

General rule of thumb is
Sept is elk rut
Oct is moose rut
Nov is deer rut

Last edited by D4l3k; 08-14-2017 at 09:55 PM.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:04 PM

Better have a cooler nearby. Dealing with a moose in August ain't gonna be fun.

As for the actual hunting of moose, mineral licks in thick cover is about the only consistent chance of seeing one during daylight in August. They won't be into the willows much yet. water plants, aspens and beaked hazel are better bets. Find a spot with a cattle trail-like concentration of moose tracks, indicating very high use, get the wind right, and stay there a few days.

A bull may respond to some very light grunts.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Better have a cooler nearby. Dealing with a moose in August ain't gonna be fun.

As for the actual hunting of moose, mineral licks in thick cover is about the only consistent chance of seeing one during daylight in August. They won't be into the willows much yet. water plants, aspens and beaked hazel are better bets. Find a spot with a cattle trail-like concentration of moose tracks, indicating very high use, get the wind right, and stay there a few days.

A bull may respond to some very light grunts.
x 375 on having a plan for quick work in warm weather .
Old 08-15-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb356 View Post
x 375 on having a plan for quick work in warm weather .
Thanks for the input everyone. I know it's going to be a tough go and I expect to put a lot of miles on in my search. I've scouted a my general area an have 3-4 spots I think will be productive to sit and glass over.

I didn't get drawn for moose so I'm going with the OTC archery tag - it's only good in the area for the last 7 days of August. From the outset I figured this would be a low chance proposition but am looking mostly to get some experience hunting moose under my belt for when I do get drawn.

Of course, I will be ready for success: 4 large coolers in the truck with block ice, citric acid powder with a spray bottle and game bags, and help to haul out will be at the ready. Being able to deal with the meat in what could be +20 weather has been my biggest concern.

Thanks again for the input, it's all appreciated!

BMD
Old 08-15-2017, 10:31 PM

Good to see you thinking like you might get one. Back before the draws for moose always made sure I didn't get too far from from the truck and stayed out of the stinky swampy stuff which of course they liked to be in because the mud keeps them cool or the bugs off or whatever the attraction. Don't want to drop one in a swamp when it's 25 degrees out. It takes so much longer to break them down and time is your enemy when dealing with a large animal.