Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-14-2017, 10:12 PM

Ahhhh....Such a big sigh of relief.
The world is going to be such a much better place now. You watch and see. This will be talked about as the best thing to happen to Vancouver city in over 100 years.
Everyone outside the city will be running out of places to bury the stupid pests.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitkaspruce View Post
CF, you must have been one of the so caller "Hunters" who voted for *****gan and his waste of taxpayers dollars crew.
1). I live in Alberta. So clearly I didn't vote for them.

2) I never said I supported this. Just stated the entire hunt hasn't been banned.

3) This is a crucial one. You and I both post on a smaller more tight group forum. Do not talk down to me like this. "One of the so called 'hunters' who..." is insulting. Your mad, I get it. But I ask you of all people on this board, speak to me respectfully.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:20 PM
Banned

Excellant.
I hear what you have posted.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
CF, you must have been one of the so caller "Hunters" who voted for *****gan and his waste of taxpayers dollars crew.

Tell me what this BS regulations actually does for the bears? The government actually admits that they are going to throw science out the window for public opinion (actual the opinion of those who live in the lower mainland and Vancouver Island) and ban the "trophy hunt". What does this do for the bears?? The bear is still dead. Bring out the meat and leaving the hide and skull in the bush does nothing but appease the suckers who voted for them.

What is next? Wolves/coyote/trapping species?? What about sheep and goats, who are not really hunted for the meat? (although sheep is the best!!) Once the antis get their claws in the shutting down grizz hunting, they will switch to others.

Instead of betting on whether there is a grizz hunt next year, you should start a bet on whether we will be hunting anything before these idiots get kicked out! They have already shown that they don't use science and are more likely to listen the opinion.

Sad day in BC....again....with may more to come.

Cheers

SS

Excellant.
I hear what you have posted.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:22 PM

Deffinetly know a indigenous only hunt now.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3illy View Post
I think some of the posters here didnt read the article before commenting.
That's par for the course, for pretty much the entire internet.

I'm conflicted about this, but as long as meat hunts are still allowed, it's acceptable to me. I've personally never been comfortable with the idea of leaving bear or cougar meat to rot. My fear is that this is the tip of the anti-hunting spear.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentsmith View Post

I'm conflicted about this, but as long as meat hunts are still allowed, it's acceptable to me. I've personally never been comfortable with the idea of leaving bear or cougar meat to rot. My fear is that this is the tip of the anti-hunting spear.
Are you ok with turning in your elk,whitetail,moose, and mulie antlers & capes to be destroyed as well? Because I'm not, and that's what will follow.
I hate bear meat but will find a use for it if that's what it takes, as long as I get full enjoyment out of the rest of the parts.
That's not happening here because that's not their goal here. Their goal is to make good on the commitment they made to a bunch of anti-hunters in exchange for their votes. I'm not ok with even 1% of that, sorry.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilt134 View Post
Deffinetly know a indigenous only hunt now.
Right now it isn't, let's not confuse facts with predictions.
My prediction is that it will go that way though as well. Except that natives will get full use of the animal because it is entrenched in their rights. This law will only serve to eliminate any competition they had for the resource.

Antis know their limits well and sadly, they have the majority of the public behind them nowadays. This was a battle that was lost on election day. My condolences to our neighbors to the west.
Old 08-15-2017, 11:56 AM

Default Disgrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
Are you ok with turning in your elk,whitetail,moose, and mulie antlers & capes to be destroyed as well? Because I'm not, and that's what will follow.
I hate bear meat but will find a use for it if that's what it takes, as long as I get full enjoyment out of the rest of the parts.
That's not happening here because that's not their goal here. Their goal is to make good on the commitment they made to a bunch of anti-hunters in exchange for their votes. I'm not ok with even 1% of that, sorry.
I absolutely agree here. It's a disgrace not to be able to utilize the ENTIRE animal.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:10 PM

Hunters have a public relations problem. "Trophy hunts" are pretty tough to justify to the voting public. As this ban shows.

Google says the B.C population is at 4.6 million.
Google says in 2013 there were 97,000 resident hunting licenses sold in b.c.

2.5% of the population of b.c. purchases hunting licenses. probably not much different in Alberta.

Next time you make a post to social media, keep this in mind.

John
Old 08-15-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
I hope they tranquilize and transfer the "problem" bears to the Lower Mainland...., because "it's not a numbers issue, it's society that wants and end to the hunt" ...then the "society" that wants the hunt ended shouldn't have a problem with the bears roaming around in their back yard
Funny, I was thinking the same thing.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:

Tell me what this BS regulations actually does for the bears? The government actually admits that they are going to throw science out the window for public opinion (actual the opinion of those who live in the lower mainland and Vancouver Island) and ban the "trophy hunt". What does this do for the bears?? The bear is still dead. Bring out the meat and leaving the hide and skull in the bush does nothing but appease the suckers who voted for them.

What is next? Wolves/coyote/trapping species?? What about sheep and goats, who are not really hunted for the meat? (although sheep is the best!!) Once the antis get their claws in the shutting down grizz hunting, they will switch to others.

Instead of betting on whether there is a grizz hunt next year, you should start a bet on whether we will be hunting anything before these idiots get kicked out! They have already shown that they don't use science and are more likely to listen the opinion.

Sad day in BC....again....with may more to come.

Cheers

SS
X2 Sitka, we need another election. Science has proven hunting is the viable option to control the bears. The people in the lower mainland don't realize how many bears there are actually out there.
Hunters now who are successful on game animals know that when they pull the trigger on them it is like ringing the dinner bell for grizzlies, I predict many more grills maulings in the future
Old 08-15-2017, 01:06 PM
Banned

Arrow

Pro Hunt FN Response:

Possible fracturing in the NDP / Green Ranks (which incidentally I would be ALL FOR!!)

Weaver said in a statement that the new ban is also viewed as wasteful by the resident hunting community because the hair, head and hide of the grizzlies can no longer be used.

“I'm not sure how this will appease the concerns of anyone. It appears to me that the NDP was trying to play to environmental voters in the election campaign without thinking through their policies,” Weaver said.

http://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/mo...fall-1.3545573

BCWF Response:

RESPONSE TO GOVERNMENT ANNOUNCEMENT TO END GRIZZLY TROPHY HUNT

The provincial government announced today that they will end grizzly bear trophy hunting throughout the province and stop all hunting of grizzlies in the Great Bear Rainforest.

The BC Wildlife Federation supports sustainable hunting in British Columbia under conditions consistent with the North American Wildlife Conservation Model. One of the tenets of the model is non-frivolous use, which allows hunting under only strict guidelines for food, and fur. This tenet prohibits the killing of wildlife merely for antlers, horns, or feathers.

The BC Wildlife Federation has and continues to support changes to the Wildlife Act which would require all edible portions of grizzly bears are used. In Europe, brown bear meat is considered quality table fare. Grizzly bear diet is similar to that of black bears; black bears have long been considered quality table fare in BC.

President of the BCWF Harvey Andrusak said, “It is positive that the government is maintaining the hunt for meat. We will represent our members’ interests as the government consults us on the practical details of this ban.“

Media is reporting that the province has said they will forbid a hunter from possessing the paws, head, and hide of a grizzly.This is inconsistent with conditions in the North American Wildlife Conservation Model. Leaving the hide and skull undermines the collection of scientific data used to manage grizzly bears. Currently those parts are used to age and sex the animals harvested, providing critical data to scientists which is the basis for any decisions about grizzly harvest.

The BCWF believes that we should be using as much of any wildlife taken as possible and will be advocating with government to maintain the interests of our members. Hunting is a very small part of grizzly bear mortality.

The BC Wildlife Federation will continue to support recovery efforts for grizzly bears in areas where populations are under threat and to advocate for increased funding and science for wildlife management in BC.

And of course there is the direct admission that the hunt is completely sustainable, and well within the bounds of proper scientific management.
"It's not a matter of numbers, it's a matter of society has come to the point in B.C. where they are no longer in favour of the grizzly bear trophy hunt."
So now we are to abandon science and manage wildlife according to emotion from the city masses?? Really??

I very much hope that in the future ALL problem Grizz are immediately relocated to the lower mainland / Victoria. Surely if the hunt "is not a socially acceptable practice" then those that voted these Idjuts in will find a way, as a "society", to deal with them in an alternative, friendly fashion...

Sadly,
Nog
Old 08-15-2017, 02:01 PM
Banned

Arrow

Weaver's Splintering Stance:

Today the BC NDP claimed to set the stage for banning trophy hunting of grizzly bears in British Columbia. In what can only be described as a political stunt, the BC NDP announced that “effective Nov. 30, 2017, the British Columbia government will end grizzly bear trophy hunting throughout the province.” They further proclaimed “while the trophy hunt will end, hunting for meat will be allowed to continue.”

In response to their announcement I issued a statement, reproduced below.

As you will see, I am very supportive of the fact that the B.C. NDP are respecting the wishes of the Coastal First Nations by placing a moratorium on the hunting of grizzlies in the Great Bear Rainforest. Readers of this website will know that I called for this back in February, 2014 (3 1/2 years ago). However, during the election campaign I pointed out that the B.C. NDP appeared to be trying to have their cake and eat it too when it came to the grizzly hunt. They told the hunting community one thing and the environmental community another.

Today’s announcement will not end grizzly bear hunting in B.C., as many environmental groups have advocated for.

In addition, this announcement will create a system in which not all of the animal will be harvested – resident hunters will no longer be allowed to possess the hair, head and hide of grizzlies. This will be viewed as wasteful by the resident hunting community.

Foreign hunters will still be able to shoot grizzlies in British Columbia, take a picture of themselves standing over the dead beast, and head back home without harvesting any of the animal.

What’s remarkable is that when I introduced legislation in the Spring of 2017 targeted at foreign trophy hunters the BC NDP voted against it. Now, they introduce a mishmash approach that makes little sense.

I’m not sure how this will appease the concerns of anyone. It appears to me that the NDP were trying to play to environmental voters in the election campaign without thinking through their policies. What we really need in BC is science-based approach to wildlife management, not a populist approach to species management.

http://www.andrewweavermla.ca/2017/0...y-bear-policy/

Nog
Old 08-15-2017, 02:12 PM

Great posts Nog, hopefully a few of the bigger players can knock some sense into the NDP and remove this "no head/claws/hide" law. Waste is waste.
Old 08-16-2017, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF8889 View Post
1). I live in Alberta. So clearly I didn't vote for them.

2) I never said I supported this. Just stated the entire hunt hasn't been banned.

3) This is a crucial one. You and I both post on a smaller more tight group forum. Do not talk down to me like this. "One of the so called 'hunters' who..." is insulting. Your mad, I get it. But I ask you of all people on this board, speak to me respectfully.
Maybe post where you live and others will not make the same mistake as I did.

On the other site, you came across as pro for this. My mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentsmith View Post

Have you ever eaten grizz meat? An interior bear can be pretty good as it is mostly a berry eater and has some pretty good table fare. A coastal bear is another story all together; they are stinky fish tasting meat that even my dog would not eat. They feed on fish for 2-4 months and they get ripe and very strong, even in the spring as their fish fats are absorbed all winter. Most costal bears are not fit for table fare.

Actually leaving the meat in the bush benefits way more than humans. Other bears and critters soon make short work of the meat and help then get through the winter or summer....it does not go to waste as so many think it does.

However, I do have to ask a question to everyone who supports the bringing out of the meat.......What does that actually do?? The bear is still dead and nobody has to consume it, it can go right back to the bush once you bring it home, so all you really do is spend some time packing the meat out of the bush, then taking it back. So in the end, the bear is still dead and all the regulation really does is appease the dipper supporters on VI and the Lower Mainland, it does nothing for bears.

If the leaving of the head, hide and paws becomes part of the is already dumb regulation, then, for all intents and purpose, the grizz hunt is dead. Who would go spend $80 on a tag (plus $7 for the draw) for some questionable meat?

Cheers

SS
Old 08-17-2017, 06:38 AM

Just sharing interesting facts.

Bears have the largest brains of all carnivores.

Scientists have discovered that black bears can actually count.

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6,,, wow,,, looks like number 4 human is slow and chunky.

A smart bear always knows where the best slow meals are served. LOL.

Inquisitive minds need too know.

Don
Old 08-17-2017, 07:57 AM

Re edited. Ha. Dam auto correct always fumbles up things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Parsons View Post
Just sharing interesting facts.

Bears have the largest brains of all carnivores.

Scientists have discovered that black bears can actually count.

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6,,, wow,,, looks like number 4 human is slow and count.

A smart bear always knows where the best slow meals are served. LOL.

Inquisitive minds need too know.

Don
Old 08-17-2017, 12:15 PM
Banned

Arrow

Interesting that Raincoat's Executive Director Chris Genovali agreed that banning black bear hunting is already on their agenda.

At 22:15 of this broadcast: http://www.cbc.ca/radio/popup/audio/...tenttype=audio

The slippery slope begins...

Ticked,
Nog
Old 08-18-2017, 12:59 AM

Default great bear rain forest

great bear rain forest originally referred to the Kermode bear and the area they were located.So the anti's drew an area on a map and called it the great bear rain forest. Then more anti's drew the area larger , then again larger until it expanded all the way to North Vancouver and the northern half of Vancouver Island. Then someone said hey it can't be on Vancouver island or encroach on North Van. so the anti's backed off a little bit to not include these areas.So, in essence the Great Bear Rain Forest does not exist. It is not real and never was real. Now they have the coastal first nations being portrayed as stewards of the land such as the Haida in the Queen Charlottes. There are no grizzles in the Charlottes. And a lot of the other coastal first nations live in areas where there are no grizzlies. It's time the gov't acted on scientific facts, not hearsay from people that are not educated in research.
Old 08-18-2017, 05:50 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...nced-1.4247060

"Hunters will no longer be able to possess the hide or the head or the paws of the grizzly bear."

It's not yet clear what hunters will be expected to do with those bear parts, but they would not be leaving the province, he said.

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2017FLNR0232-001442

What an absolute CROCK!

I simply cannot wait for the Idjuts currently at the controls to get the effing BOOT!!

Ticked,
Nog
Yup, shoot, and don't waste a thing even the gut pile will be eaten...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-18-2017, 10:02 AM

A Pathetic decision by a pathetic NDP party. Based on nothing but emotions, not science or conservation.

Our wildlife continues to suffer by governments not using science, data or information prevalent to proper management.

It strikes our traditional rights and our heritage.

Beware of the slippery slope. Raincoast also wants Black Bear hunting banned.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:10 AM

This is redivulous. First off, governments should listen to the science community when it comes to this Stuff. Not to how ppl "Feel,"
Man I feel sorry for BC ending up with that government. Hopefully it doesn't last long, and they get a sane government in there that legislates by science and common sense. But of course they gotta cow toe to the Far Left populace to stay in power. Wonder how the Caribou and Moose populations will do.
Turning away from science to legislating from "Feeling" is just down right ignorant...
Really not liking how the far left is starting to grow in this country. And I'm damn glad I'm an Albertan. Will be even happier when the NDP is booted from this province.
Old 08-19-2017, 02:41 PM
Banned

Arrow

More in the press:

'It's so much more than the kill': hunters decry ban on grizzly trophy hunt
Push to ban all grizzly hunting is driven by emotion, not science, they say

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/b...tion-1.4251815

The Yukon worries about spin-off effects:

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/n...mbia-1.4248778

Cheers,
Nog