Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-14-2017, 04:30 PM

Default BC bans Grizz hunt as of Nov 30th, 2017

BC BANS GRIZZLY HUNT

Daniel Fritter August 14, 2017
The BC government headed up by a loosely-formed coalition between the BC NDP and Green parties will be terminating all grizzly bear hunting later this year. A press release issued this afternoon from the BC Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations reads:

“Effective Nov. 30, 2017, the British Columbia government will end grizzly bear trophy hunting throughout the province and stop all hunting of grizzlies in the Great Bear Rainforest, Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development Minister Doug Donaldson announced today.

“By bringing trophy hunting of grizzlies to an end, we’re delivering on our commitment to British Columbians,” Donaldson said. “This action is supported by the vast majority of people across our province.

“In particular, we owe it to generations past and future to do all we can to protect the beauty and uniqueness of the Great Bear Rainforest. We believe the action we’re taking goes beyond the commitment to Coastal First Nations made as part of the 2016 Great Bear Rainforest agreements.”

There are an estimated 15,000 grizzly bears in British Columbia. Each year, approximately 250 are taken by hunters. While the trophy hunt will end, hunting for meat will be allowed to continue.

During the fall months, Donaldson said that government will consult with First Nations and stakeholder groups to determine next steps and mechanisms as B.C. moves toward ending the trophy hunt. Additionally, government will be moving forward with a broader consultation process on a renewed wildlife management strategy for the province.

“The key elements of that strategy will include dedicated funding for wildlife and habitat conservation and a collaborative process in developing short and long-term plans for wildlife resources,” Donaldson said.”

As a Limited Entry Hunt, there were no general open seasons on grizzly bears in BC, but rather successful applicants to the LEH process were told where and when their bear hunt was authorized. For more information on the grizzly bear hunt in BC, check out the BC government’s thorough document on the subject here.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:32 PM
Banned

The beginning of the ndp changes.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:41 PM

They didn't ban the hunt.. you just have to eat the meat. The same law has applied to BC black bears for awhile. I've harvested a black bear in BC and I plan on harvesting a Grizz in the future. Nothing wrong with making some pepperoni!
Old 08-14-2017, 04:42 PM
Banned

Another place to read or comment.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=327338
Old 08-14-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF8889 View Post
They didn't ban the hunt.. you just have to eat the meat. The same law has applied to BC black bears for awhile. I've harvested a black bear in BC and I plan on harvesting a Grizz in the future. Nothing wrong with making some pepperoni!
I think "meat hunts" is an euphemism for indigenous hunting.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
x2
Old 08-14-2017, 04:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Except...... It will probably be only Indians allowed to hunt Grizzly for meat.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:59 PM

Quote:
No. It will be just like black bear. BC residents will be able to hunt grizz for meat.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:10 PM
Banned

Glad I don't own a hunting area in BC. Lots of them just tanked in value because of this. With liberal quotas and a high dollar hunt it is one of the main staple revenue generators for alot of these allocations.

Last time the Grizz hunt was cancelled the BC Outfitters Association got active and eventually had it re-instated. See what happens this time but I'm betting the Greenies will win. Maybe some compensation for permit holders but maybe not.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:14 PM

Let's have some fun. I'm willing to bet a spring (alberta) bear tag payment...that come december 1rst, 2017.. BC residents (native or not) will still have the possibility of hunting Grizzly bears.

First person to quote and comment "deal" gets the bet.

(So to be clear. If come december 1rst, non "status indian" bc residents have not been completely banned from hunting grizz. You pay for my tag. If ONLY status indians can hunt grizz in BC.. I will pay for yours. Tags must be paid for before opening day spring bear 2018!)
Old 08-14-2017, 05:23 PM

CF8889, come on, man. Stop spreading panic!
Old 08-14-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Let's have some fun. I'm willing to bet a spring (alberta) bear tag payment...that come december 1rst, 2017.. BC residents (native or not) will still have the possibility of hunting Grizzly bears.

(So to be clear. If come december 1rst, non "status indian" bc residents have not been completely banned from hunting grizz. You pay for my tag. If ONLY status indians can hunt grizz in BC.. I will pay for yours. Tags must be paid for before opening day spring bear 2018!)
I would take your bet, but you are right. It won't be by Dec. 1, it will be sometime next year before the spring hunt. What do you think this means...

During the fall months, Donaldson said that government will consult with First Nations and stakeholder groups to determine next steps and mechanisms as B.C. moves toward ending the trophy hunt. Additionally, government will be moving forward with a broader consultation process on a renewed wildlife management strategy for the province.

“The key elements of that strategy will include dedicated funding for wildlife and habitat conservation and a collaborative process in developing short and long-term plans for wildlife resources,” Donaldson said.”

The fall months will be Oct, Nov, Dec with an announcement early in the new year stating that First Nations will be the only ones allowed to harvest grizzly bear. As for the dedicated funding model, that has already been decided. It will be all revenue from hunting licenses. Same as fishing licenses in BC. The only difference is it won't be hunters who will be making the decision. It will be First Nations, Backpackers, Eco Tourists, you know... the groups who will be putting absolutley zero money in the kitty but will decide how it will be spent.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
No. It will be just like black bear. BC residents will be able to hunt grizz for meat.
No the article I read said a meat hunter will not be allowed to keep the head paws or hide.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulehahn View Post
I would take your bet, but you are right. It won't be by Dec. 1, it will be sometime next year before the spring hunt. What do you think this means...

The fall months will be Oct, Nov, Dec with an announcement early in the new year stating that First Nations will be the only ones allowed to harvest grizzly bear. As for the dedicated funding model, that has already been decided. It will be all revenue from hunting licenses. Same as fishing licenses in BC. The only difference is it won't be hunters who will be making the decision. It will be First Nations, Backpackers, Eco Tourists, you know... the groups who will be putting absolutley zero money in the kitty but will decide how it will be spent.
What if we change the timeline? I'll bet there is a grizz hunt next spring (april 2018). We can make the cut off march 1rst, 2018?

Last edited by CF8889; 08-14-2017 at 06:08 PM.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:04 PM

Quote:
No the article I read said a meat hunter will not be allowed to keep the head paws or hide.
Good point. I personally think that's dumb and won't actually go through. But you are right, that is being discussed.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:45 PM
Banned

I think some of the posters here didnt read the article before commenting.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Good point. I personally think that's dumb and won't actually go through. But you are right, that is being discussed.
Doesn't sound like it is being discussed, sounds like it has been discussed and decided.

When asked how hunting would be policed, Donaldson said the exact regulations would be determined following consultations with guide-outfitters and others between now and Nov. 30.

"There's not going to be any loopholes," he said.

"Hunters will no longer be able to possess the hide or the head or the paws of the grizzly bear."

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-14-2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Doesn't sound like it is being discussed, sounds like it has been discussed and decided.

When asked how hunting would be policed, Donaldson said the exact regulations would be determined following consultations with guide-outfitters and others between now and Nov. 30.

"There's not going to be any loopholes," he said.

"Hunters will no longer be able to possess the hide or the head or the paws of the grizzly bear."
Either way, the hunt still isn't banned. Which was my main point.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Either way, the hunt still isn't banned. Which was my main point.
No it's not, hopefully there will be enough interest to keep killing bears and creating some fear of man in them. But I cannot see much interest in meat and pictures, but who knows. Most people that don't hunt are against trophy hunting, and the loudest voices have won out.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-14-2017, 06:55 PM
Banned

Old 08-14-2017, 06:57 PM
Banned

Thumbs down

Quote:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...nced-1.4247060

It's not yet clear what hunters will be expected to do with those bear parts, but they would not be leaving the province, he said.

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2017FLNR0232-001442

What an absolute CROCK!

I simply cannot wait for the Idjuts currently at the controls to get the effing BOOT!!

Ticked,
Nog
Old 08-14-2017, 07:06 PM
Gone Hunting

I hope they tranquilize and transfer the "problem" bears to the Lower Mainland...., because "it's not a numbers issue, it's society that wants and end to the hunt" ...then the "society" that wants the hunt ended shouldn't have a problem with the bears roaming around in their back yard
Old 08-14-2017, 09:01 PM

It's bad enough that BC now has the NDP, but they also have the bonus "Greendream" !! Good luck with that!!
Old 08-14-2017, 09:16 PM

Quote:
No you have to now retain the meat. The hide, paws and skull must be turned in is what I was reading. They want no part of the "trophy" retained.

LC
Old 08-14-2017, 09:23 PM
Banned

Default "deal"

Deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cf8889 View Post
let's have some fun. I'm willing to bet a spring (alberta) bear tag payment...that come december 1rst, 2017.. Bc residents (native or not) will still have the possibility of hunting grizzly bears.

(so to be clear. If come december 1rst, non "status indian" bc residents have not been completely banned from hunting grizz. You pay for my tag. If only status indians can hunt grizz in bc.. I will pay for yours. Tags must be paid for before opening day spring bear 2018!)
Old 08-14-2017, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nederlager View Post
Deal
Right on bud!
Old 08-14-2017, 09:47 PM

Quote:

If you had said May 1st 2018 I would have taken that offer. But i think the goverment is to cowardly to commit to anything until just before the hunt.
Regardless this is a loss for every hunter and lots of rural residents of BC.
Hopefully the Green/NDP get attacked by some grizz.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:59 PM
Banned

Just make sure you don't leave town before then, when I come to collect.

Quote:
Right on bud!
Old 08-14-2017, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Quote:
CF, you must have been one of the so caller "Hunters" who voted for *****gan and his waste of taxpayers dollars crew.

Tell me what this BS regulations actually does for the bears? The government actually admits that they are going to throw science out the window for public opinion (actual the opinion of those who live in the lower mainland and Vancouver Island) and ban the "trophy hunt". What does this do for the bears?? The bear is still dead. Bring out the meat and leaving the hide and skull in the bush does nothing but appease the suckers who voted for them.

What is next? Wolves/coyote/trapping species?? What about sheep and goats, who are not really hunted for the meat? (although sheep is the best!!) Once the antis get their claws in the shutting down grizz hunting, they will switch to others.

Instead of betting on whether there is a grizz hunt next year, you should start a bet on whether we will be hunting anything before these idiots get kicked out! They have already shown that they don't use science and are more likely to listen the opinion.

Sad day in BC....again....with may more to come.

Cheers

SS
Old 08-14-2017, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nederlager View Post
Just make sure you don't leave town before then, when I come to collect.
I'm good for my word.