Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-04-2017, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorfanatic View Post
Seems like much of the resistance on here to the EINP "hunt/cull" is the issue of whether a trophy might be taken which due to a fence doesn't "count" correct? So would you support someone taking an EINP trophy outside the park? Say in 936? Or in the bow zone around the park?
I don't know if it would count officially in EINP or not, but I mentioned that if they open it up and an "official trophy" is someone's motivation, they might want to look into it through official organization channels prior.

If someone wants to shoot an elk in a game farm or in a "fenced" area that doesn't fall under fair chase definition outlined by B&C or P&Y but it's totally legal, go for it. SCI will always recognize those who take an animal by any legal means, even in a fence or a game farm.

Pope and Young fair chase rules,

The term “Fair Chase” shall not include the taking of animals under the following conditions:

Helpless in a trap, deep snow or water, or on ice.

From any power vehicle or power boat.

By “jacklighting” or shining at night.

By the use of any tranquilizers or poisons.

While inside escape-proof fenced enclosures.

By the use of any power vehicle or power boats for herding or driving animals, including use of aircraft to land alongside or to communicate with or direct a hunter on the ground.

By the use of electronic devices for attracting, locating or pursuing game or guiding the hunter to such game, or by the use of a bow or arrow to which any electronic device is attached with the exception of lighted nocks and recording devices that cast no light towards the target and do not aid in rangefinding, sighting or shooting the bow.

Any other condition considered by the Board of Directors as unacceptable.
The fair chase concept does, however, extend beyond the hunt itself; it is an attitude and a way of life based in a deep-seated respect for wildlife, for the environment, and for other individuals who share the bounty of this vast continent’s natural resources.

LC
Old 06-04-2017, 11:39 PM

Default Lefty

So the original question was using the bow zone and Blackfoot to hunt EINP animals good or bad?

Question 2 was why the push for forfeiting the antlers to the crown?
Old 06-05-2017, 07:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Post # 181 by Kurt505

This isn't a hunt, it's a cull. If anyone is allowed to enter the park to shoot the animals, they should put a ban on the retention of antlers. This way the anti's can't call it a trophy hunt, the people who only shoot out of their vehicles can stay home too, this won't be a trophy hunt for them either. Managing the herd is #1 priority, #2 is filling the freezer for those who will eat it.

Anyone who would consider this a hunt, isn't a hunter.
And again on post #205, the one he quoted me on.....

Like I stated earlier, if the retention of antlers was banned it would make it impossible for the anti's to try and spin this into a trophy slaughter in an attempt to give legal hunting in Alberta a bad image.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:19 AM

Quote:
So the original question was using the bow zone and Blackfoot to hunt EINP animals good or bad?

Question 1

If the animals are re-located to the Blackfoot or allowed to move freely into the bow zone, then the hunting opportunities in these areas will benefit. Since there is already established hunting for these areas, then having more animals in the area does not upset either group (anti hunting or hunters). But there are groups that are strongly against hunting in the Blackfoot and I have had the pleasure of running into a few while on the trails with my bow.

Question 2

The problem with any cull or mass hunting of a targeted group of animals is the optics, and in reality no group will be 100% happy with the method/results. Since it is being purposed for EINP, the sensitivity of the issue is increased substantially. The suggestion of not allowing antlers to leave the area is to satisfy the public that this is not a "trophy hunt", but rather a wildlife management strategy that benefits but the wildlife in question and the concerns that the animals are not wasted or subjected to undue suffering. The majority of the public would rather see hunters "1 on 1" with an animal, as opposed to F&W flock shooting a group of Elk. But the public will start to side with the anti's once social media is flooded with trophy photos of animals from EINP regardless or how tasteful the photos are taken.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Seems like much of the resistance on here to the EINP "hunt/cull" is the issue of whether a trophy might be taken which due to a fence doesn't "count" correct? So would you support someone taking an EINP trophy outside the park? Say in 936? Or in the bow zone around the park?
Where the heck is all this so called "resistance" because of trophy hunts coming from? Someone meantioned antlers and now all the talk has gone off on a tangent as if it was ever a concern to begin with. You have found a button and made a coat out of it.
This entire discussion started because authorities reported that the herd has become too large and is destroying the very habitat they need to survive and stay healthy. Period. So, what are some solutions to culling the herd? Some sort of hunt is just one solution being considered.
Then out of thin air we start arguing about who can keep a rack. Is the rack eligible for the record books? If the rack was in the park one day then harvested outside does it count? And so on. The Anti's must be loving this.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:25 AM

Default Optics

I hear your points. Just not sure that we as hunters will ever be able to create the right optics to satisfy the antis. No matter what we do in the hunting community we will always be vilified by the media and the antis. Sad thing is I don't believe that the majority of the public feel as the antis do but yet they are the ones who get the attention. I suspect that even if a trophy EINP elk where taken legally in the bow zone up close and personal with a bow, the antis would spin this as a loss of a National Icon and not appropriate role modelling for the youth nor good management on behalf of the government. My question I guess is if forfeiting the antlers is what we need to do to create good optics than why don't we do it everywhere such as in the bow zone, or suffield, or wainwright, or Blackfoot? I mean even at suffield we now hunt in the NWA.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:26 AM

Waterninja,

Post # 7

Who was the 1st person to bring up antlers.......

Thanks for this post OP. First I have heard of this, and Albertans have a full day to think about it before decisions are made, if I read that article correctly. Interesting. Sounds like any important decisions have already been made, and this article is merely lip service to the idea of keeping stakeholders informed.
In the last 14 days I have driven through Elk Island National Park 12 times. Before that I have driven through it perhaps 500 times. I have never seen or even heard of an Elk or Buffalo crossing Hwy 16. I guess it could happen, but why they call it "The Herd", instead of the north and south herd baffles me. That's question 1.
Question 2 would be about CWD. I didn't know that it was this far west already, and how many confirmed case's are we talking about? I hunt 248 and Blackfoot a lot, and this is news to me.
Question 3. First Nations only allowed to harvest if a cull is mandated? What a surprise. And they can sell the meat? I'll buy a set of 6x6's while we are at it.
Something doesn't add up here people. If "The Herd" is getting too large then I agree a cull might be necessary. I don't agree that "Park Staff" should be making important desicions like this. I respect them, but I never voted for them. I smell red herring , and see ballons rising.
So many questions and concern's, and only one day to think about it.

Edit... Darn, I think I'm going to use up some more point's on this thread. lol

This thread is a discussion about a possible cull of animals within a National Park. Lots of different views and ideas and being discussed and presented. What gives you the right to suggest another person's view or idea is not relevant? You are not even the OP.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Post # 181 by Kurt505

This isn't a hunt, it's a cull. If anyone is allowed to enter the park to shoot the animals, they should put a ban on the retention of antlers. This way the anti's can't call it a trophy hunt, the people who only shoot out of their vehicles can stay home too, this won't be a trophy hunt for them either. Managing the herd is #1 priority, #2 is filling the freezer for those who will eat it.

Anyone who would consider this a hunt, isn't a hunter.
Thanks Dad.
Kurts suggestions are exactly the same as mine except for..
... Don't know about banning the retention of antlers but thats a detail. If they were only allowing a trophy to be harvested in the first place, then you could say it was a trophy hunt. Remember, the Anti's will complain anyways, even if only Cows could be harvested.
I disagree 100% with Kurts suggestion that this wouldn't be a hunt. This would be a much tougher hunt then in Blackfoot, so I imagine Kurt also thinks that people who hunt in Blackfoot are not hunters. Well he is entitled to his opinion. I don't think you have to hike 20 kms, swim a river and then climb a mountain to be considered a hunter.
My main point about all of this is that if they do allow hunting to happen at all, as part of their cull strategy, then all AB resident hunters should have a chance to particpate. Like they did at Suffield.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:45 AM

However they decide to proceed, cull vs hunt, public perception will play a major role in the decision. Also the decision will be influenced by the recent hunts in Suffield and the public's reaction.

The major issue coming out of Suffield was that hunters were only targeting trophy class bulls. This was minimized by the issuing of cow tags, but then there was the false reports of cows being shot that were merely days away from giving birth.

Social media plays such a huge role in hunting and it is as if we live in a fish bowl with the whole world watching our every move.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Waterninja,

Post # 7

Who was the 1st person to bring up antlers.......

Thanks for this post OP. First I have heard of this, and Albertans have a full day to think about it before decisions are made, if I read that article correctly. Interesting. Sounds like any important decisions have already been made, and this article is merely lip service to the idea of keeping stakeholders informed.
In the last 14 days I have driven through Elk Island National Park 12 times. Before that I have driven through it perhaps 500 times. I have never seen or even heard of an Elk or Buffalo crossing Hwy 16. I guess it could happen, but why they call it "The Herd", instead of the north and south herd baffles me. That's question 1.
Question 2 would be about CWD. I didn't know that it was this far west already, and how many confirmed case's are we talking about? I hunt 248 and Blackfoot a lot, and this is news to me.
Question 3. First Nations only allowed to harvest if a cull is mandated? What a surprise. And they can sell the meat? I'll buy a set of 6x6's while we are at it.
Something doesn't add up here people. If "The Herd" is getting too large then I agree a cull might be necessary. I don't agree that "Park Staff" should be making important desicions like this. I respect them, but I never voted for them. I smell red herring , and see ballons rising.
So many questions and concern's, and only one day to think about it.

Edit... Darn, I think I'm going to use up some more point's on this thread. lol

This thread is a discussion about a possible cull of animals within a National Park. Lots of different views and ideas and being discussed and presented. What gives you the right to suggest another person's view or idea is not relevant? You are not even the OP.
I was being sarcastic about the idea of people being able to sell big game that they harvest. I think you can see that. I was also reffering to reports that were posted on AO about how some trucks were leaving the Suffield base loaded up with Antlers, during their hunt. I simply feel that if a hunt is allowed, then all AB resident hunters should get a chance to participate.
I just think that if you want to talk about the different criteria that must be met to get something in the record books, it could be done on a seperate thread.
I don,t think it's relevant to this thread, but hey beat it to death if you want to. It's still all interesting, even if it is a derail.
You really think that whether an Elk harvested outside the Park is eligible for the record books is relevant to discussion about how to cull a herd in the Park?

EDIT.... Keep in mind, that this was at the very start of this entire discussion and these were all those questions were quick and off the cuff. We are 9 pages into this discussion and many views (including mine) have been modified now that we have more info. Maybe no one has anything new to say, so we might as welltalk about other things
We could discuss the best way to open a wild game restaurant in Elk Island Park.

Last edited by waterninja; 06-05-2017 at 10:12 AM.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
You really think that whether an Elk harvested outside the Park is eligible for the record books is relevant to discussion about how to cull a herd in the Park?

The park is a pen, outside of the park is free range. Can you understand the difference?
Old 06-05-2017, 10:03 AM

Default Fair

My main concern is that if a hunt is the answer that everyone be given a chance to participate, trophy guys, meat guys, limit public draw hunt. As far as the antis go I wish there was a fix to that level of stupid but I'm afraid they wouldn't be happy ever, even when hunting is finally eliminated from our vocabulary.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
The park is a pen, outside of the park is free range. Can you understand the difference?

Yes Kurt I think I know the difference. Sounds like you have never been there. Yes it is fenced, but it is huge and hardly a "pen".
It's like rolling a boulder uphill sometimes. Is an angler a real fisherman if he doesn't use a fly rod? Is a bowhunter the real hunter and not the guy who uses a rifle? Whatever.
You are entitled to your opinion.

Edit... I am curious if you feel the same way about Pheasant release sites or stocked ponds and lakes and the people who use them?

Last edited by waterninja; 06-05-2017 at 10:29 AM.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:36 AM

I honestly think a youth hunt would be the best solution. It would give kids a chance to engage in hunting and wildlife without having to miss school or committing to week long trips which could possibly deter them from wanting to hunt again.

I know a lot of children get driven away from hunting early on because its "too boring" or what not. And I'm sure a 16 year old wouldn't be to picky on what elk they'd shoot, I know I wasnt. Plus it would be a nice way for them to fill the freezer and learn the process with their own trophy.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonecollector10 View Post
I honestly think a youth hunt would be the best solution. It would give kids a chance to engage in hunting and wildlife without having to miss school or committing to week long trips which could possibly deter them from wanting to hunt again.

I know a lot of children get driven away from hunting early on because its "too boring" or what not. And I'm sure a 16 year old wouldn't be to picky on what elk they'd shoot, I know I wasnt. Plus it would be a nice way for them to fill the freezer and learn the process with their own trophy.
I think the youth angle is a great idea and probably very PR friendly for the National Park; tougher to call a 14 year old a cold blooded killer in social media.

Does anyone know if the National Park could closed a specific area or the whole park off to anyone other then the licensed hunters? Could they close it under the same authority that allows this to happen when there is dangerous wildlife in the area. (grizz).

Another option would be to run it like Wainwright; primitive weapon early season, with rifle seasons following if the numbers need to be further reduced. Have 4, 3 day seasons in running Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday to have the least impact on Park visitors. If done right, I think it could be a great hunt and experience.

The antlers leaving the Park?????? Well I guess I am kind of on the fence about that one. I have to admit that if a 14 year old takes an Elk out of the Park with a bow, I am 100% ok with him taking the antlers regardless of the size and considering that a trophy. Would I feel the same about a veteran hunter taking a 400" Bull with a 200 yard rifle shot? Not sure about that one. Normally I don't like to question the method or satisfaction experienced by different hunters, but this scenario is not normal, so I think it is good that these discussion are taking place, even if it is only amongst ourselves.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonecollector10 View Post

I think the idea of a youth hunt has a lot of merit. I again feel the need to repeat the point that the Park is very big. It seems that a lot of people think this is going to be an easy or guaranteed hunt. Yes it is fenced, and at least you know they are in there somewhere.
It may will be "a walk in the park" literally, for a lot of hunters.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Yes Kurt I think I know the difference. Sounds like you have never been there. Yes it is fenced, but it is huge and hardly a "pen".
It's like rolling a boulder uphill sometimes. Is an angler a real fisherman if he doesn't use a fly rod? Is a bowhunter the real hunter and not the guy who uses a rifle? Whatever.

Edit... I am curious if you feel the same way about Pheasant release sites or stocked ponds and lakes and the people who use them?
It's fenced, and so over populated they are worried about disease and having sufficient food for the herd. It is not free range, the animals can only run in circles.

If I catch a 20lb rainbow out of the fish pool at the Edmonton boat and sportsman show, am I a fisherman? Does it compare to the guy who catches a 5lb rainbow on the fly at white swan? Do you consider a trip to both places to be fishing trips?

What is a pheasant hunt? It's a flush and shoot, with the emphasis being the shot, not the pheasant.

I consider free range to be fair chase, penned shoots are not hunts imo.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:

Pheasants at a pheasant release site can fly away to freedom at any time they choose, the elk can't fly over the fence.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:42 AM

I have hunted the Blackfoot and was lucky enough to close my tag on the 2nd day for cow Elk, but it was only the 2nd Elk I saw.

EINP has a herd of 611 and they need to remove 200-250.

EINP is 194 square Km's
Blackfoot is 94 square Km's

What is the latest data on the number of Elk in the Blackfoot?

The answers to this questions will help me put into perspective whether I personally feel a hunt in EINP would be fair chase.

I would also have to consider how adapt the animals in EINP are to human activity, because if they are like the Elk in Jasper town site, fair chase might not be an option.

Last edited by brendan's dad; 06-05-2017 at 12:01 PM.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
I have hunted the Blackfoot and was lucky enough to close my tag on the 2nd day for cow Elk, but it was only the 2nd Elk I saw.

EINP has a herd of 611 and they need to remove 200-250.

EINP is 194 square Km's
Blackfoot is 94 square Km's

What is the latest data on the number of Elk in the Blackfoot?

The answers to this questions will help me put into perspective whether I personally feel a hunt in EINP would be fair chase.

I would also have to consider how adapt the animals in EINP are to human activity, because if they are like the Elk in Jasper town site, fair chase might not be an option.
I don't think you will ever convince people it is a fair chace hunt. It is, after all, fenced.
With that said, my personal experiance at EINP is that you rarely see Elk when you drive past it on the hwy 16, or when you drive through the park. I pass through EINP on a regular bassis, and you see regularly see Bison and Moose, but the Elk are shy.
By the way, when you harvested that Elk at Blackfoot, did you think it was too easy and that you were not really hunting?

Last edited by waterninja; 06-05-2017 at 12:15 PM.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Pheasants at a pheasant release site can fly away to freedom at any time they choose, the elk can't fly over the fence.
Elk, I think we can agree that the released Pheasants are nothing at all like wild ones. 99% of those released Pheasants think your coming to feed them as you approach like they are used to.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:

Good or bad in what respects? My personal opinion?

If they dropped the fence or moved elk into Blackfoot to allow for hunting them there instead of the National Park, I think that's a good idea.

Releasing them all together to the bow zone, I wouldn't mind but farmers who have crops eaten and commuters that smack elk on the roads (these elk are used to roads and SLOW traffic) might not be so pleased.

FYI, I have shot animals that qualify for books but have never officially entered any into P&Y. I like the scoring system as a benchmark measure.

LC
Old 06-05-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:

Doesn't matter how big the fence is...if the animals are fenced and cannot freely roam, it is not a recognized "fair chase" eligible area.

For those folks looking for a "record" or "official trophy" they won't be able to achieve that in this National Park.

I suspect for many who want to participate that is the driving force.

LC
Old 06-05-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Elk, I think we can agree that the released Pheasants are nothing at all like wild ones. 99% of those released Pheasants think your coming to feed them as you approach like they are used to.
I have to wonder if you have even shot 100 released pheasants to come up with that number. I also wonder if you shot them all in the open fields at South Plain, or if you have hunted them in heavy cover in other locations. Yes some of them do sit around oblivious to what is going on around them, especially if you go after them just after they are released. Then again,I have encountered quite a few runners, that we never would have even seen without a decent dog, and even then some ran 50 yards or more before they finally flushed out of range. I have also seen several miles from the release site, so obviously they didn't stay put on the release site. The people that follow the release truck and shoot them as they are released , likely find it quite easy, but it doesn't change the fact that the birds can leave any time they choose.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post

What is a pheasant hunt? It's a flush and shoot, with the emphasis being the shot, not the pheasant.
Pheasants used to be hunted and when found they were shot. Pheasants may be still hunted this way but many hunters go to spots where they have paid for a number of pheasants to be left for them to be found and shot.

Hunting pheasants or paid for pheasants, chances are many of the birds were hatched in an incubator and spent part of their life in a pen.

Sort of like stocked pond fishing. It helps to know there have been fish put in the pond.

Trophy Elk? Other than what qualifies for B and C trophy is in the mind of the person taking the trophy. I have seen antlers large and small displayed in places from interior walls to barns and gates.

I never ask about fair chase. It I ever did I assume I might hear the truth or a lie. As long as the owner of the antlers is happy with them who am I to say what is right or not.

Some hunt for sheds. Does it matter if they were from penned animals or not?

Organize the cull or hunt so that everyone gets a fair shake and let parks deal with the antis.

Cull or hunt, if anyone offered me a few steaks I would say thank you!
Old 06-05-2017, 12:35 PM

If the park is 194 sqkm and an elks typical home range is 100 sqkm some of those elk may never even encounter a fence in their entire life.. so where do you draw the line? The fence, the province, ocean coast to coast?
Old 06-05-2017, 12:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
Pheasants used to be hunted and when found they were shot. Pheasants may be still hunted this way but many hunters go to spots where they have paid for a number of pheasants to be left for them to be found and shot.

Hunting pheasants or paid for pheasants, chances are many of the birds were hatched in an incubator and spent part of their life in a pen.

Sort of like stocked pond fishing. It helps to know there have been fish put in the pond.

Trophy Elk? Other than what qualifies for B and C trophy is in the mind of the person taking the trophy. I have seen antlers large and small displayed in places from interior walls to barns and gates.

I never ask about fair chase. It I ever did I assume I might hear the truth or a lie. As long as the owner of the antlers is happy with them who am I to say what is right or not.

Some hunt for sheds. Does it matter if they were from penned animals or not?

Organize the cull or hunt so that everyone gets a fair shake and let parks deal with the antis.

Cull or hunt, if anyone offered me a few steaks I would say thank you!
Just to be clear, I'm not saying this cull is wrong, I'm not saying shooting the animals is wrong, I said anyone that thinks it's a hunt isn't much of a hunter. That's my opinion like it or not.

I also said I doubt anyone could tell the difference in the taste of an elk shot at elk Island park compared to Island Lake.
Old 06-05-2017, 01:13 PM

Default fair chase

The issue of fair chase and fence vs no fences is only relevant if you're trying to harvest a trophy animal for a specific record book. So if that's your thing then don't worry about EINP. But if your simply trying to fill the freezer and have a little experience then Blackfoot, EINP, NWA at Suffield whatever. There's appropriate designations in the different record books to account for all of the above. So good to hear that we can agree that making use of 936 is a good thing antlers and all. As far as youth go well sounds great but we're not adding any new tools to the tool chest. Youth already have opportunity at everything going draw or not. You know a youth who's interested they can buy the youth partner lic and away you go. Ya know I'd be called a veteran hunter cause I'm old. But I've never got an opportunity at a trophy animal. Would be nice some day even if it is behind a fence. I agree not nearly as good as those of you who have got a trophy on a wilderness hunt especially for the do it yourself style hunts. But thats why there's the different designations in different record books. And I'm quite sure that if EINP allows for a hunt that there will be some who get skunked. Even "veteran" hunters. Or better put us old guys.
Old 06-05-2017, 02:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I have to wonder if you have even shot 100 released pheasants to come up with that number. I also wonder if you shot them all in the open fields at South Plain, or if you have hunted them in heavy cover in other locations. Yes some of them do sit around oblivious to what is going on around them, especially if you go after them just after they are released. Then again,I have encountered quite a few runners, that we never would have even seen without a decent dog, and even then some ran 50 yards or more before they finally flushed out of range. I have also seen several miles from the release site, so obviously they didn't stay put on the release site. The people that follow the release truck and shoot them as they are released , likely find it quite easy, but it doesn't change the fact that the birds can leave any time they choose.
Once again you have missed the point. I'm not saying that Pheasants are stuck on the release site and can't fly away. My point is that some people might not consider shooting barn raised and freshly released Pheasants to be sporting. I have watched them being released a few times so yes I have a pretty good idea of how they behave. I'm pretty sure Pheasants born in the wild are much harder to hunt.
Anyways, a number of Pheasants have overwintered around the Plain Lake area, and I am hoping they start releasing hens this year or next.
Old 06-05-2017, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Once again you have missed the point. I'm not saying that Pheasants are stuck on the release site and can't fly away. My point is that some people might not consider shooting barn raised and freshly released Pheasants to be sporting. I have watched them being released a few times so yes I have a pretty good idea of how they behave. I'm pretty sure Pheasants born in the wild are much harder to hunt.
Anyways, a number of Pheasants have overwintered around the Plain Lake area, and I am hoping they start releasing hens this year or next.
Yhis thread is about the elk in Elk Island park being culled and how it will be done, not about birds.
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 06-05-2017 at 03:30 PM.