Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-13-2017, 11:44 AM
Banned

Default Taking lake boat to the ocean

Can I take a lake boat out to the ocean safely? I have a few friends that take their boats out but want to know your guys' opinions. Here is what mine looks like:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (59.2 KB, 519 views)
Old 04-13-2017, 12:10 PM

Lot's of small boats out there. Stay inside, and watch winds and tides closely. Seas can change quickly and dramatically and an open bow boat is definately not ideal if you get caught in adverse conditions. A radio is always good to have on board as well... tuned to the local channel. I fished a 28 footer on the WC for years and at times I wished I had something much larger.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:34 PM

You didn't give much info but, honestly, if it is your first time. Be wary and maybe rethink this. The only time I've used my lake boat on the ocean is after I have been there with a guide. Depending on the area, maybe more than once. There is a ton to learn and to know and to just causally walk into it is risky for you and others in the boat. I've been there, I've made mistakes and lived to tell about it but I've also boated in some of the most extreme places that I know of.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:46 PM

When I lived in Tofino it was good sport watching mainlanders bring their nice lake boats out the open ocean. So perky and chipper when they headed out... not so much when they limped back
Old 04-13-2017, 03:42 PM

Default Ocean

The ocean is a cruel mistress ...
Old 04-13-2017, 04:30 PM

So apart from navigation and general seaworthiness of the skipper... no special considerations for engines or livewells or bilge pumps with regard to salt water?
Old 04-13-2017, 04:53 PM

Depends where you go, the sea is big. Stay in the islands, know the tides and rinse your boat and engine with fresh water immediately after each time on the salt.

Know this - your boat will never be the same once it's been in the ocean. You can expect increased corrosion on anything that corrodes like wire connections, switches, gauges and anodes - even if you rinse it all with fresh.

As was mentioned, be careful. It can get nasty in a hurry on the chuck.
Old 04-13-2017, 05:03 PM

Use common sense. Get a vhf radio (listen to the weather), chart plotter, paper charts and a compass watch the tides and have fun.We started with a 14 ft Lund and a 25 hp back in 1988.
Fished the bamfield area very sheltered.
Old 04-13-2017, 06:39 PM

I was fully committed to taking my 1989 Bayliner Arriva 20.5 inboard but ended up with a big boat the next summer.
Many take small tin boats out, just watch the weather, be equipped and stay close to other boats.
When the boats with radar clear out, it is best to follow, don't be the last guy on the way back.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:32 PM

I spent my rookie season on east VI last summer. Had a great time. I think it is very doable with a lake boat. The key is take baby steps and never stray too far from home.

Be sure all your equipment is in perfect working order. I also believe a kicker motor is mandatory for safety reasons.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 04-14-2017, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post

Know this - your boat will never be the same once it's been in the ocean. You can expect increased corrosion on anything that corrodes like wire connections, switches, gauges and anodes - even if you rinse it all with fresh.
X2

Even the bow mount trolling leads, where are stored in compartment, rusted by the next year. I think I washed the boat 3 times too.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:26 AM

You are required by law to have a vhf radio.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:37 AM

Never knew that.
Do you have a reference?
Old 04-14-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramaximos View Post
I spent my rookie season on east VI last summer. Had a great time. I think it is very doable with a lake boat. The key is take baby steps and never stray too far from home.

Be sure all your equipment is in perfect working order. I also believe a kicker motor is mandatory for safety reasons.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
I don't believe a kicker is mandatory by law but I sure would not go out without one.
Same with the radio
Old 04-14-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Hawk View Post
You are required by law to have a vhf radio.
I checked it out and i was wrong. Sorry. Radio is not mandatory.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:10 AM

Fished a Sangster 17 footer with a 115 hp closed bow many times out of Ucluelet, Telegraph Cove, Sooke and Port Hardy. Anything that is not Stainless steel is going to corrode. Rinse the outfit with fresh water every chance you get. VHF, GPS, Maps and a kicker I would consider mandatory. A convertible top is nice because it will rain on you sooner or later. If you start out in an area that you are not familiar with hire a boat the first day to get the lay of things, well worth the money. Use your head and don't take chances you are uncomfortable with. It takes a while to get used to driving the boat up and down those big waves. It is a lot of fun but be equipped and cautious.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:17 AM

If never on the ocean before you need to be extra careful. There are many more dangers on the ocean versus a lake.

Fog can envelop you in seconds. Need gps.

Deadhead logs. Can sink a small boat in seconds or rip off your motor.
Waves plus wake means sudden stopping will sink your boat from backwash over the stern.

Large wave can wash over the boat from the side. Be vigilant to the conditions.

Two people leaning over to fight/net a fish in waves is greater risk of tipping

Other boat waves can swamp a smaller boat

Tides against wind can kill. You need to ask about these areas and stay clear.

Snagging down rigger cables on bottom can cause tipping or water intake

Islands, shoals, reefs, loan rocks will sink any small boat if you hit it.

Just a few thoughts.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 04-14-2017, 11:42 AM

Started with a 14 foot car topper with a Johnson 20 HP in 1990. Used to fish out of Bowser, by Deep Bay, Hornby & Denman Island, north of Qualicum River.

Learned a lot about JESUS on a few days when a "Qualicum" blew up from the south east and pushed us into Deep Bay. Calm to 6 footers in 1/2 an hour.

THE LORD HATES A COWARD, but unless you want to meet your maker, be a coward.

The Boat in question is a question. Is it an IO? is it fresh water cooled? Salt water eats everything, especially non galvanized trailers, cheap chrome, engines, etc. Your trailer is rough and salt water will finish it off. No amount of rinsing will stop salt on exposed metal.

Go to sheltered waters, like the Alberni canal, or out of Deep Bay in the AM.
Have a compass, a VHF radio, working Bilge Pump, manual Bilge Pump, Flares, water, GPS, and stay with the other boats.

Just take it slow and ask the locals lots of questions. Tell them you know nothing and want to learn. They will help you out.

By the way, welcome to poverty. Once that cruel mistress gets ahold of you, every year you will go and pay homage.

Drewski
Old 04-18-2017, 08:28 AM

I've used everything from a flat bottom 14' ski boat on up. If you know your boat and aren't too cocky, you'll figure it out ok. Bigger is better of course, fog still scares me. I usually go out for 3 weeks at a time expecting to be ashore half of it or more, I don't push my luck.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
If never on the ocean before you need to be extra careful. There are many more dangers on the ocean versus a lake.
Fog can envelop you in seconds. Need gps. 1
Waves plus wake means sudden stopping will sink your boat from backwash over the stern. 2
Large wave can wash over the boat from the side. Be vigilant to the conditions. 3
Two people leaning over to fight/net a fish in waves is greater risk of tipping 4
Other boat waves can swamp a smaller boat 5
Snagging down rigger cables on bottom can cause tipping or water intake 6
Islands, shoals, reefs, loan rocks will sink any small boat if you hit it. 7

Just adding a few thoughts, please do not take this as any sign of anything Sun other than more friendly advice.
adding to these thoughts
1- Radar. If you don't have it fish with/near a vessel that has and let them know you may tail them back in bad weather.
2- + people have hit whales at speed and been swamped or smashed
3- never tie your anchor anywhere on the boat other than from the front. Easiest way to go down.
4- ALWAYS WEAR A LIFE VEST. Have a throwable floating projectile on floating rope.
5- a several hundred foot long boat can throw a big wave
6- use rubber 'snubbers' between the cable and the downrigger weight, they are designed to break before damage occurs. If you catch a shelf though, its a bad scene.
7- always have an eye on the depthsounder, set a shallow water alert
Old 04-18-2017, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
I don't believe a kicker is mandatory by law but I sure would not go out without one.
Same with the radio
Of course you're right. I wasnt very clear. I meant the kicker is mandatory in my books.
Case in point I was trolling along in search of salmon when my check engine light and temp light started flashing and alarming. Didnt know what was up so I shut it down and limped home on the 9.9.

Once back at the docks i started examining things and found a thick chunk of kelp all but plugged the cooling intake. Turns out its a common thing. The locals had a good laugh at me. Lesson learned....after trolling through a kelp bed, pop your motor in reverse and give it a quick rip to blow the kelp off the intake.

Could have easily been more serious. No backup motor, no offshore for me.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:25 PM

I've fished Campbell River and Comox (Kitty Coleman) in a 14' aluminum with a 20 hp motor with no issues or problems over the last 4 years. Watch the weather and wind forecasts, keep your eyes out on the horizon watching for dark blue water (incoming front). You learn the weather that you can handle like most other people.

You have plenty of boat to be able to head out on the pacific. It's not like you're headed 50 miles west of Bamfield looking for tuna so some of the suggestions are overkill (like radar). In a perfect world an with unlimited budget, perhaps.

Where are you looking at heading out to? May help with more info.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmon Slayer Lenny View Post
I've fished Campbell River and Comox (Kitty Coleman) in a 14' aluminum with a 20 hp motor with no issues or problems over the last 4 years. Watch the weather and wind forecasts, keep your eyes out on the horizon watching for dark blue water (incoming front). You learn the weather that you can handle like most other people.

You have plenty of boat to be able to head out on the pacific. It's not like you're headed 50 miles west of Bamfield looking for tuna so some of the suggestions are overkill (like radar). In a perfect world an with unlimited budget, perhaps.

Where are you looking at heading out to? May help with more info.
I want to go 50 miles west of Bamfield for tuna!!!

(radar can be bought for under a grand, btw)
Old 04-19-2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I want to go 50 miles west of Bamfield for tuna!!!

(radar can be bought for under a grand, btw)
You go for it Gilligan!!!!!!

Old 04-22-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher

Fog can envelop you in seconds. Need gps. 1
Waves plus wake means sudden stopping will sink your boat from backwash over the stern. 2
Large wave can wash over the boat from the side. Be vigilant to the conditions. 3
Two people leaning over to fight/net a fish in waves is greater risk of tipping 4
Other boat waves can swamp a smaller boat 5
Snagging down rigger cables on bottom can cause tipping or water intake 6
Islands, shoals, reefs, loan rocks will sink any small boat if you hit it. 7

Just adding a few thoughts, please do not take this as any sign of anything Sun other than more friendly advice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
adding to these thoughts
1- Radar. If you don't have it fish with/near a vessel that has and let them know you may tail them back in bad weather.
2- + people have hit whales at speed and been swamped or smashed
3- never tie your anchor anywhere on the boat other than from the front. Easiest way to go down.
4- ALWAYS WEAR A LIFE VEST. Have a throwable floating projectile on floating rope.
5- a several hundred foot long boat can throw a big wave
6- use rubber 'snubbers' between the cable and the downrigger weight, they are designed to break before damage occurs. If you catch a shelf though, its a bad scene.
7- always have an eye on the depthsounder, set a shallow water alert
^^^This is some of the best advice you will get. Well said guys.^^^

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have an 18 1/2' Kingfisher. I have seen people in the same boat as mine on the outside (west side) of Vancouver Island. Yes, they did it. Yes, they made it back. Yes, they were lucky. Not everyone can say that.

I have boated on the ocean all my life. Last year my wife and I took our boat to Port McNeil just south of Hardy. We went out each and every day. Some days were foggy and other days were clear. Some days started out calm and ended up down right nasty. You had better be confident of your ability, and confident of exactly where you are and how to get back. I wouldn't do it without a kicker. That could save your life. I don't have radar. There were times I didn't go out until the fog lifted. But having said that you could have fog roll in when you are 20 kms out. So you had better know how to navigate back. You should also have a compass in your glove box and know how to use it. If your GPS screws up and you have to get back you should at least know how to read a compass to help you navigate to get back.

Good luck out there. Be safe, and catch some fish.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:00 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Fished thousands of hours in a 16 foot tin boat with an old 9.9 envinrude sputtering behind all up down the east side of Vancouver island with no issues but paid attention to tides and weather like any lake or ocean you should be doing anyways and all is well...been caught in a few eye opener high winds etc but made it out ok.
Your rig is very equipped to enjoy the ocean.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-22-2017, 05:35 PM

If you are running a VHF radio it is mandatory that you have a license, it becomes very apparent why this is required when you are listening to the Maydays, panpan or securite calls going out.
If your not sure then get an instructor to take you out. They are very reasonably priced for the information/experience they have. Check out ISPA or Power Squadron. I'm ISPA certified but get an instructor to do a tune up every once and awhile.
Know the forecast before you get on the water and what it is forecasted to do while on the water. Monitor it on your VHF radio, cell phone and look at visual indicators.
Be prepared to not go out or go in early if the weather is not within your comfort/experience area.

Most of all enjoy, lots of boats like yours on the ocean.

Last edited by Indy; 04-22-2017 at 05:50 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
If you are running a VHF radio it is mandatory that you have a license, it becomes very apparent why this is required when you are listening to the Maydays, panpan or securite calls going out.
If your not sure then get an instructor to take you out. They are very reasonably priced for the information/experience they have. Check out ISPA or Power Squadron. I'm ISPA certified but get an instructor to do a tune up every once and awhile.
Know the forecast before you get on the water and what it is forecasted to do while on the water. Monitor it on your VHF radio, cell phone and look at visual indicators.
Be prepared to not go out or go in early if the weather is not within your comfort/experience area.

Most of all enjoy, lots of boats like yours on the ocean.
This is so important is should be said again. You need a licence to operate a VHF radio!

They can be obtained even in our land locked province through the power and sail squadron. I have never been on the ocean by myself but am looking into taking some courses before I do.

Even just buying some reading material will give you some confidence.

http://www.cps-ecp.ca/
Old 04-24-2017, 11:09 AM

The edmonton chapter was offering a course on seamanship this last winter. It would have been very helpful for people wanting to fish the ocean on their own. I signed up for it but it was cancelled due to lack of intrest. I guess i should have posted something about it here. They plan to offer the course again i was told.
There is a good book that is very helpful is called "Piloting&Seamanship" by Chapman. If you were to study that all 906 pages of that book, you will be much better prepared to go on the ocean.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:10 PM

THE very best way imo is to go out with someone very knowledgeable.
I was fortunate enough to be able to go fishing with AGBCrash on my own boat after going to Jamies lodge twice. He knows everything there is to know about marine travel, has fished there half as long as I have been alive, and as some of you may know, is retired Canadian Navy.
Good advice is great but hands on with someone in the know is the only way to do it.
When I took my boat out the first times I got ahold of a Guide that worked for Jamie, and paid him for a couple days so I could learn the ropes.
Both were great, there is nothing like real life experience, and the ocean is very dangerous.
This summer will be my 3rd year on the big water in my own boat, and let me tell you when I hear someone talking that knows what they are talking about, I shut my mouth and listen. Hell I take notes.
Find a mentor.