Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-08-2017, 12:23 AM
AO Sponsor

Default Serengeti Fishing Charters 2017 Reports (PIC Heavy)

Hey all,

Season is well underway and wanted to give you all a report to let you know how it is going. Well, one word, spectacular. Sure many of you think, well of course he is going to say that he is promoting his business, while true, it has honestly been out of this world. Salmon showed up in amazing numbers and for 5 straight days I've had at least 5 double headers on my boat alone.

Sunday we were into 42 Chinook in my boat between 715am and 1130am. Double hits we had 10, hooking 6 of them and landing both 4 times. It was nothing short of great and it hasn't stopped since. We are virtually the only ones out on the water right now with myself only seeing one other boat other than Serengeti boats in the past week, although most of those days fishing spots only we fish. Also already had 2 tyee which is rare for this early.

Halibut has been phenomenal with limits of fish in the 30-70lb range most days, definitely the best year so far for fish in that grade. Released 7 over 100lbs already as well.

Our first few groups didn't have too much desire for bottomfish/lingcod minus one or two, and those that have limited without much trouble, today for example we had a limit of lings to 33lbs in about 40minutes for the 4 guests on my boat.

We are fully booked this year minus Sept 4th onward (good for bottomfish/halibut/coho/big Chinook although not many around), but if you are thinking 2018 please let me know asap as usually close to 85% booked by end of summer with current guests rebooking.

Enjoy the pictures!

www.serengetifishingcharters.com

The BEST Chinook Salmon and Halibut Fishing On the Coast

Last edited by Serengeti Charters; 06-08-2017 at 12:31 AM.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:24 AM
AO Sponsor

TYEE

Last edited by Serengeti Charters; 06-08-2017 at 12:31 AM.
Old 06-08-2017, 09:16 AM

That is just insane! Tyee alone this early...but a lot of other stats that are amazing. 7 over 100 hali...my head is spinnin.

Good luck out there...no you don't need that. How about continue success and safe travel

Thanks for the report and I look forwards to the next one.
Old 06-08-2017, 09:30 AM
AO Sponsor

Alright Davey!!! Way to go! Just what the doctor ordered! I was looking for a fix just like that! Looks like typical Serengeti results for peak season.

I'm seeing lots and lots of halis, both big suckers and little fellers. Did they change up the daily limits on the things? Or just lots shy guests abstaining from photography?
Old 06-12-2017, 12:25 PM
AO Sponsor

Fishing continues to absolutely lights out for Chinook and halibut. Haven't targeted bottomfish much as guests weren't too worried about it so far this year and weather has been tougher but the one day we did this week limits to 35lbs for lingcod were had rather quickly and close to home.

Pics shortly

Old 06-15-2017, 12:31 PM
AO Sponsor

Fishing is still great, limits of Chinook by 8:30am, and great sized halibut in the 35-70lb range. Only boats on our salmon grounds we've been fishing so that's nice.

Old 06-15-2017, 01:06 PM

Those are some great looking Halibut!!!
Old 06-17-2017, 05:28 AM

Nice pics thanks for posting and keep em comin.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:12 AM
Banned

Great to see hali's and salmon in large numbers early in the season. Lots of concern regarding wild salmon numbers this year and the future.
Congrats on a great start to the year.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:34 AM

Great pictures. Lots of great eating there.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:45 PM
Banned

Default .

Man , lotsa fish out that way , l cant get out , but sure would like to buy some of that fish if possible.
Thanks
Old 06-26-2017, 09:45 PM
AO Sponsor

Salmon fishing remains on fire with limits everyday pretty
Much in short order. Today with 10 Chinook in boat by 10am and weather wasn't nice but still managed a couple nice halibut and limits of chickens for two boats. Will post pics shortly. Busy busy.

June is 75% booked for next year already so call ASAP !

Old 07-06-2017, 11:34 PM
AO Sponsor

Fishing remains on fire for Chinook...limits for 3-4 people by 830-9am most days and then out for hali and bottomfish, yesterday limited on lingcod after salmon fishing and half were over 30lbs, as well as then got all our snapper and halibut between 32-58lbs. So busy and long days so will post pics as soon as I can, if you're thinking of 2018 let me know asap as June 7-30th and July 1-15th are almost sold out already.

Tight lines
David

Old 07-15-2017, 06:26 PM
AO Sponsor

Fishing is on fire still, limits of Chinook and halibut non stop, released 3 over 150lbs in 2 days last week as well, tons of halibut in 40-70lb range. Limits of lings regularily to 35lbs or so as well, here is a link to the pictures from the season. 2018 is already getting very booked, let me know if interested in a trip

Old 07-15-2017, 06:32 PM
AO Sponsor

Old 07-24-2017, 10:42 PM
AO Sponsor

Fishing is still on fire for us. 8 Chinook in the boat by 9:30am today and then went and got some real nice halis and rockfish. Pics to come ! July 1-22 is fully booked minus 15-17 for next year already and june is 75% booked so let me know if you're interested in a trip

Old 07-29-2017, 09:12 PM
AO Sponsor

Have to say the best salmon season we have ever seen for sure...limits of Chinook in only 1 1/2- 2 hours every day pretty much, multiple double headers every day as well as bites every 5 min at the most...pretty amazing. Let's hope it continues into August. Will keep you all updated.

Only have 4 dates left in June and 4 dates left in July and many groups deciding on dates for next year already so throw a PM if you have any questions!

FISH ON!

Old 07-29-2017, 09:16 PM
AO Sponsor

Old 08-06-2017, 05:42 PM
AO Sponsor

Hey Dave, I'm thinking it's time for another one of those very interesting/exciting Serengeti fishing updates???

How's the Chinook size doing these days? Are there many around still?

Our trip is just around the corner, I did break my long standing Chinook fast in Rupert and the Skeena earlier but I am itching to get into some serious fish! Can hardly wait!
Old 08-10-2017, 11:45 PM
AO Sponsor

Fishing remains great for Chinook, had a day or two of slower fishing but it was also some of our roughest days of the season and were still marking them but when bouncing like a top the baits aren't exactly doing what you want them to...calmed down next day and fish on like crazy again with a forum member! Halibut remains great as does bottomfish! Pics and more details to come on day off this weekend!

Old 08-12-2017, 10:22 PM
AO Sponsor

Well, after a nice day off thought it would be a good time to add some pictures from the past week or two. Fishing remains very strong as I said earlier, guests from every package lately have left with their limits of Chinook (think one group was missing one...but had limits of everything else) and almost all other species, including great sized halibut in the 30-70lb range plus some beauties released.

Salmon fishing remains very strong and a Tyee every second day or so is about the norm now, no monsters (aka 45+lbs) YET but from the reports I've been hearing the big boys are a bit behind this year as seem to be hitting up north a week or two behind schedule...so sure they will be here shortly. None the less this past week has been good to us and our guests for size of fish, with most days in the past week having a 23-24lb average size on Chinook...beautiful fish!

Lingcod limits and bottomfish coming over the rail with no trouble at all and as long as it's not windy usually can be done in an hour or two, with one day this past week we had our largest average size lingcod limits for all three boats (so 24 Lingcod) and an average size of around 25lbs, with 8 or so over 30lbs. I always say the best eaters are in the 10-25lb range but these guests wanted some larger ones which is totally all their choice and completely fair.

Anyway, enough talking, here are the pictures! We only have three dates left in June and July, let me know if interested in any of them! August dates are beginning to go too as guests rebook!

TYEE!

Bottomfish and halibut day on the MS Heather 3!

Old 08-12-2017, 10:30 PM
AO Sponsor

BIG TYEE

Limit of halibut in 55-70lb range!

Double header landed!!

Limits of halibut and Chinook (This was Yesterday!)

Old 08-13-2017, 05:36 PM

Looks excellent. I really wish I could have been out there this last week. Weather looked pretty flat calm most of the week. I'll be heading out Tomorrow till Thursday. But just have the wife and kids and they get sea sick so probably won't be heading out long range North to the more open water this year. I guess I'll try my luck in the calmer area between Hardy and the mainland in the island groups. Would really like to catch some halibut so might put some effort in this trip.

Thanks for all the pics, always inspiring. They are out there! Here's to hoping for flat seas and sunny skies!

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 08-14-2017, 08:35 PM
AO Sponsor

Couple tyees today and limits of halibut over 30lbs for each boat.

Old 08-15-2017, 11:14 PM
AO Sponsor

Fishing remains very good, limits for 4 people per boat today on Chinook up to 31lbs by 10:30am. Halibut limits from 42 to 63lbs on top of that and Yelloweye for the one boat that already wasn't tagged out on them.

Two tyees yesterday as well as limits of halibut from 35-61lbs for all three boats.

Here are some pics!

Today's Catch!

His second of the day!

Today's Tyee!!!

Old 08-16-2017, 12:51 AM
AO Sponsor

Awesome Dave! Looks most promising for the weekend! I most certainly do look forward to meeting you come this weekend!!!

Only took me three years to get there. That due to them stinking sockeye being sooooo fun to catch on light pike tackle in the Skeena. Well the bar fishing is fun too. And then there's them stinking chums in the Kitimat!

O Genie in the Bottle... we desire a limit of 40 lb lingcods, a couple two 60 lb springs, one 75 lber for me, and three 131-132.9 cm halis!!!
Old 08-22-2017, 06:15 PM
AO Sponsor

Went 15/24 today on Chinook in 2 1/2 hours ! Yes 2 1/2 hours !! Pics and stories to come.... Fishing has been like this the past week or two. Doesn't get any better.

Old 08-25-2017, 04:21 PM
AO Sponsor

The best season we have ever seen for Chinook continues as we enter the last few days of August, this past week it has been double header after double header, and some real nice Coho showing up now, the past few days we have had an average size of Coho in the 12-13lb range, and our largest at 17lbs.

On the 22nd we went 15/24 in only 2 1/2 hours on Chinook, and added a couple Coho in there. Releasing 20lb Chinook sure feels pretty good. Had 8 Double headers just the other day as well in only 2 hours.

To end the day we actually had a double header, one got off, and while reeling in the same line had one hit on way up, fought it for 6 seconds or so and got off then on the surface had another Chinook hit it!!! That's almost technically a quadruple header with only two rods

The other day we also caught nearly 1600lbs of fish between the boats...limits of every species for every boat...pretty amazing for end of August and I'm sure next year will be just as good...I know the initial forecast for Chinook returning to BC rivers is much better than this year with indicators (jack Chinook returns as well as returns of Coho who left rivers same year as next year's Chinook) are very strong.

Halibut fishing is great right now as well, two days ago limits for each boat came over the rails. One boat had three in 55-68lb range and released a 85lber, and another had four all in the 45-65lb range then went and tagged out on Lingcod between 18-35lbs and Chinook in 18-22lb range AND Coho in 10-14lb range...tagged out on it all.

Season is winding down and it's a little sad for us here as I know I will miss the sound of screaming reels. Our last trip this year is Sept 9th, then maybe head out to grab some bottomfish for the freezer. Will keep you all updated as we come into September, and look forward to having more of you up in 2018. June, July, and August all have only a handful of dates left, so let me know if you are interested, sold 6 trips yesterday to returning guests so dates are limited.

Enjoy the pictures!

Marty S and his Gang!

Marty the hali KING

Old 08-25-2017, 08:44 PM
AO Sponsor

Oh AWESOME!!! Hali king eh? Wow I feel special now! I sure look like a doorknob though with my little 7-11 criminal outfit beeny look huh?

Dave felt so sorry for me that he gave me his very own, personal embroidered Serengeti toque... What a kind, compassionate soul!

Sure was fun!!! Just like on the internet threads! We nuked em!

Thank you very much Dave for the trip. Was worth every penny.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:34 AM
AO Sponsor

Fishing this September has been lights out, limits pretty much everyday...today was limits for both boats out, including a Tyee. Pictures to come shortly

David