Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-22-2020, 06:36 PM

Default Accubond vs TTsx

Accubonds will expand with lower velocity than the TTSX . I will use the TTSX in the 7mm but do not in the .308 . in case I need to reach out a bit.
Old 09-23-2020, 08:03 PM

I consider Accubonds much like the old lady speaking for Frank's Hot Sauce. I put that **** in everything. 140's in 270. 160s in my 7mms, 225's in my 35.

Wouldn't swap for anything else.
Old 09-23-2020, 10:07 PM
Banned

I’m big accubond fan also, for anything launching 2800 fps and up. For slower launches I like eld-m/ballistic tip/a-max or the like. Need less jacket and delayed expansion when you’re a slow poke. Probably be all about the Barnes if I ran a 3300+ fps laser.
Old 09-24-2020, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
I’m big accubond fan also, for anything launching 2800 fps and up. For slower launches I like eld-m/ballistic tip/a-max or the like. Need less jacket and delayed expansion when you’re a slow poke. Probably be all about the Barnes if I ran a 3300+ fps laser.
Tryout the accubond lr for slower speeds expansion.
Old 09-24-2020, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
I consider Accubonds much like the old lady speaking for Frank's Hot Sauce. I put that **** in everything. 140's in 270. 160s in my 7mms, 225's in my 35.

Wouldn't swap for anything else.
Lol yup! 140's in .270 Win and 160's in 7mm Rem Mag have been tough to beat, never have felt the need to use anything else since I started using them not long after they came out. Penetration at longer ranges is impressive too..
Old 10-10-2020, 10:17 AM

I use the long range accubond, they perform well and come per 100 in box. A bit cheaper to buy them per 100 compared to the regular accubond per 50. They shoot very well in my 300 win.
Old 10-12-2020, 01:03 AM

Default Lol

So, if a guy doesn’t like the perfomance of solid Bullets he’s hearing voices? Lol I’m hearing one now i guess, And its telling me that mono bullets leave smaller exit wounds, resulting in less blood hitting the ground. UOTE=sns2;4237053]With ttsx you need to go light for caliber to maintain as high velocity as possible. They are equally capable bullets. Anyone telling you there is much difference in on game performance is hearing voices. Serious.[/QUOTE]
Old 10-12-2020, 04:50 AM

I would really like to try Accubonds in my favorite rifle but unfortunately for md they do not make them , so of the two choices I use the TSX
Come to think of it , these days therefore only a few bullets made for my favorite cartridge that I feel are outstanding !
Cat
Old 10-12-2020, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
So, if a guy doesn’t like the perfomance of solid Bullets he’s hearing voices? Lol I’m hearing one now i guess, And its telling me that mono bullets leave smaller exit wounds, resulting in less blood hitting the ground. UOTE=sns2;4237053]With ttsx you need to go light for caliber to maintain as high velocity as possible. They are equally capable bullets. Anyone telling you there is much difference in on game performance is hearing voices. Serious.
[/QUOTE]Its ok. There's help for hearing voices.

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk
Old 10-12-2020, 09:21 AM

In all seriousness, I'd be interested in your experience with both bullets. My experience on multiple moose and elk is they both penetrate well, retain weight, and break bone without coming apart.

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk
Old 10-12-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingfamily View Post
You can't go wrong with either bullet. My top 2 choices and the decision is made on whichever one is most accurate in that particular rifle.
x2 ...... whichever one the rifle prefers gets the nod, although in all honesty I am often splitting hairs.
Old 10-12-2020, 09:58 AM

Default Good

Its ok. There's help for hearing voices.

Thank goodness for that! Lol
We all experience bad shot placement if you hunt long enough. My experience in tracking marginal hits with mono bulletts versus a Ballistic tip/accubond/Ballistic Silver tip etc has been that we eventually find the poorly hit Balistic tip styled animal, but not the solid Bullet. Muliple small wound channels vs the single (mostly) wound of a solid bullet. Of course exit wounds are not a promise or typical of Ballistic tip bullets either, but it often resembles a hand grenade tossed into the chest cavity. My good friend and hunting partner uses TSX, and most of my long tracking jobs have come from this, lol.
But lots of people have different opinions. If your new to hunting, the grenade scenario offers a little margin for your errors as a human being.
Old 10-12-2020, 10:45 AM

Quote:

We all experience bad shot placement if you hunt long enough. My experience in tracking marginal hits with mono bulletts versus a Ballistic tip/accubond/Ballistic Silver tip etc has been that we eventually find the poorly hit Balistic tip styled animal, but not the solid Bullet. Muliple small wound channels vs the single (mostly) wound of a solid bullet. Of course exit wounds are not a promise or typical of Ballistic tip bullets either, but it often resembles a hand grenade tossed into the chest cavity. My good friend and hunting partner uses TSX, and most of my long tracking jobs have come from this, lol.
But lots of people have different opinions. If your new to hunting, the grenade scenario offers a little margin for your errors as a human being.
And I have had to track animals where a Ballistic Tip blew up on a shoulder, and didn't penetrate to the vitals, whereas a monimetal bullet would have. Each bullet type has it's limitations.
Old 10-12-2020, 11:04 AM

I really like Barnes bullets and use lots of them, but there is no perfect bullet. In all the animals I have shot with them we have never had a problem recovering one and most have never moved more than a few yards from where first hit but only a couple literally dropped in their tracks, one deer and one Elk. That said, Hornady Interlocks create much more internal damage out of the same gun at the same velocity. Also remember we are talking Accubonds, not Ballistic tips, there is a very big difference in how those two perform. The Interlocks also create more drop in place kills than the TSX type bullets do.

Hit wrong, it doesn't matter what kind of bullet you use you are going to have problems. I always get a kick out of people that say, I won't use a 243 on large game because you have to be too sure you are making a good shot and I don't want to pass up the X of a life time; the part these guys miss is if you shouldn't take the shot with a 243, there is no bigger gun that is going to turn that shot into a good and ethical opportunity, same for bullets.

Last edited by Dean2; 10-12-2020 at 11:30 AM.
Old 10-12-2020, 11:15 AM

Default Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
And I have had to track animals where a Ballistic Tip blew up on a shoulder, and didn't penetrate to the vitals, whereas a monimetal bullet would have. Each bullet type has it's limitations.
Maybe would have penetrated the shoulders, as bones is what they do, but still may not have resulted in a found animal. But of course like you said, every bullet has a design feature.
Old 10-12-2020, 11:16 AM

Default Well said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I really like Barnes bullets and use lots of them, but there is no perfect bullet. In all the animals I have shot with them we have never had a problem recovering one and most have never moved more than a few yards from where first hit but only a couple literally dropped in their tracks, one deer and one Elk. That said, Hornady Interlocks create much more internal damage out of the same gun at the same velocity. They also create more drop in place kills than the TSX type bullets do. Hit wrong, it doesn't matter what kind of bullet you use you are going to have problems. I always get a kick out of people that say, I won't use a 243 on large game because you have to be too sure you are making a good shot and I don't want to pass up the X of a life time; the part these guys miss is if you shouldn't take the shot with a 243, there is no bigger gun that is going to turn that shot into a good and ethical opportunity, same for bullets.
Well said.
Old 10-12-2020, 11:17 AM

If it's mainly for elk and moose and sometimes deer I'd pick the ttsx. If it's mainly for deer with the odd moose or elk I'd shoot the accubond.
Old 10-12-2020, 12:18 PM

I was going through the same decision recently. Really convinced the 150 ttsx our 165 accubond is about perfect for the 30-06 in Alberta. Then found a bunch of 180 scirocco on a forum for a great price and went that route. Tiny little groups and I’m settled until I run out
Old 10-12-2020, 02:32 PM

I’ve personally had a ttsx fail to open. It was a 100gr bullet fired from my 257 wby mag. Impact velocity would have been in the 3400fps range. It was a broadside shot on a whitetail buck. Entry was behind the front shoulder and I found the bullet in the far side shoulder. I know other people have great luck with them but I sure didn’t. The buck required tracking for about an hour with very little blood. I was lucky and we had fresh snow. I shoot accubonds in every other rifle I own and have never had a failure, so I’ll stick with them. It could very well have been a one-off experience but that was enough for me.

]
Old 10-12-2020, 02:38 PM

Quote:

I have admittedly never had to track an animal shot with either Barnes or an Accubond. Poor shot is a poor shot regardless of bullet has always been my opinion. I am still a big fan of cup and core bullets for deer, but about 8 years ago, a young fella I hunt with smoked a bull elk at less than 100 with his 30-06 and 165 Interlocks. It was a good shot, but he did go a ways before he expired. We found the animal eventually, with what was left of the bullet against the hide, but there was no snow for tracking, and no blood trail. After that, I made the decision to do everything I could to get guys in my hunting party to use either a bonded or monometal so as to provide consistent pass throughs, in the hopes of a blood trail. Both bullets are fantastic and I have nary a poor word to say about either. I'd always go with whichever one shot the best. If they were equal, and the rifle spits em out the muzzle at 3000 fps, my preference would be for the TTSX (slightly).
Old 10-12-2020, 03:53 PM

When I contacted Barnes about minimum impact velocity on 7mm bullets, they emailed back with the following info:
139 gr LRX 1400 fps
145 gr LRX 1600 fps
140 gr TSX/TTSX 1800 fps

I take that as confidence that so long as I’m around 2000 fps at impact velocity or more, it’ll do what it needs to do and maybe as low as 1800 for the LRX.
For the cartridges I use for hunting, that velocity is attainable further than I’d shoot
Old 10-12-2020, 06:43 PM

I'll be developing a load with the Accubonds and the tipped tsx. One thing I noticed is the tips on the tsx aren't perfect, whereas on the Accubonds they did a real nice job getting the tip to fit flush. I went through a box of nosler ballistic tips and those tips were also very nice.

I'm sure it doesn't make a huge difference. But the nosler quality seems to be top notch. I didn't weigh the bullets to check consistency. Just noticed the tip fitment.
Old 10-13-2020, 12:34 AM

Default Weights

Ive weighed the Ballistic tips and 1 grain max difference ever, usually 1/2 grain. Never weighed Barnes.
Old 10-13-2020, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I really like Barnes bullets and use lots of them, but there is no perfect bullet. In all the animals I have shot with them we have never had a problem recovering one and most have never moved more than a few yards from where first hit but only a couple literally dropped in their tracks, one deer and one Elk. That said, Hornady Interlocks create much more internal damage out of the same gun at the same velocity. Also remember we are talking Accubonds, not Ballistic tips, there is a very big difference in how those two perform. The Interlocks also create more drop in place kills than the TSX type bullets do.

Hit wrong, it doesn't matter what kind of bullet you use you are going to have problems. I always get a kick out of people that say, I won't use a 243 on large game because you have to be too sure you are making a good shot and I don't want to pass up the X of a life time; the part these guys miss is if you shouldn't take the shot with a 243, there is no bigger gun that is going to turn that shot into a good and ethical opportunity, same for bullets.
There is a lot of good things to be said about a good, heavy for caliber bullet... about as much as there is about larger calibers. Best to plan on things going marginally wrong with shot placement rather than "perfect" every time. Less than a chosen few will guarantee absolute accuracy every time.
Learning the hard way is still better than not learning at all. My $.02
Old 10-13-2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
There is a lot of good things to be said about a good, heavy for caliber bullet... about as much as there is about larger calibers. Best to plan on things going marginally wrong with shot placement rather than "perfect" every time. Less than a chosen few will guarantee absolute accuracy every time.
In the days of cup and core bullets, heavy for caliber increased the odds of the bullet holding together and penetrating. However modern bullet designs offer greater penetration with less weight. As for bullet diameter/caliber, the diameter that matters, is the diameter as the bullet passes through the animal, not the unfired diameter.

And when it comes down to it, where monometal bullets are concerned, going too heavy, and losing velocity as a result, can have a negative effect on bullet expansion.
Old 10-13-2020, 09:50 AM

Quote:

I hear this a lot. Have you ever seen a marginally wrong shot that worked out because of the heavier bullet, larger cartridge, that definitively would NOT have worked out with a lighter bullet, smaller cartridge. I never have. In my younger days when I hunted with a lot of partners and did some guiding I have seen game hit and lost with 300 WM, 338 WM, 375 H&H, 45-70 as well as 243, 30-06, 270 and a few other cartridges. Since the game wasn't recovered I have no way of saying that a bigger gun or heavier bullet would have sealed the deal. I have also examined the wounds on game we had to track quite a ways but recovered. I am not convinced a bigger gun would have shortened the tracking job.

There is a reason I hunt with the same 3 guys for the past many years. They can all shoot, they all know what makes a killing shot and they are careful in the shots they take. We have only had to track two animals more than a 100 yards in the past 20 years. Guys that can't shoot need to practice on gophers and paper, a bigger gun isn't going to make them a better shot or more likely to kill what they shoot at. Shots don't usually go marginally wrong, they are either on or a long ways off. I saw lots of guys completely miss game at 50 to 150 yards.
Old 10-13-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
In the days of cup and core bullets, heavy for caliber increased the odds of the bullet holding together and penetrating. However modern bullet designs offer greater penetration with less weight. As for bullet diameter/caliber, the diameter that matters, is the diameter as the bullet passes through the animal, not the unfired diameter.

And when it comes down to it, where monometal bullets are concerned, going too heavy, and losing velocity as a result, can have a negative effect on bullet expansion.
By a good bullet, I wasn't thinking of monos. What I had in mind was a NP. Woodleigh etc. The days of a good Cup & Core are far from over. Penetration isn't everything , as you should know by now.
Old 10-13-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
By a good bullet, I wasn't thinking of monos. What I had in mind was a NP. Woodleigh etc. The days of a good Cup & Core are far from over. Penetration isn't everything , as you should know by now.
Cup and core still work fine I am trying the eldx in my 6.5prc this year. But the monometals do offer another option , one that I prefer with the high velocity cartridges.
Old 10-13-2020, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta_Redneck View Post
I’ve personally had a ttsx fail to open. It was a 100gr bullet fired from my 257 wby mag. Impact velocity would have been in the 3400fps range. It was a broadside shot on a whitetail buck. Entry was behind the front shoulder and I found the bullet in the far side shoulder. I know other people have great luck with them but I sure didn’t. The buck required tracking for about an hour with very little blood. I was lucky and we had fresh snow. I shoot accubonds in every other rifle I own and have never had a failure, so I’ll stick with them. It could very well have been a one-off experience but that was enough for me.

]
There is no perfect bullet made, and EVERY bullet type has had failures, the Partition included .
I came close to losing a deer last year because something went wrong with a famous brand and style of bullet, something that should never have happened, and I out it down to a once in a lifetime thing.
That one bad experience will not stop me from using them in any cartridge I use them in.
Cat
Old 10-13-2020, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
There is no perfect bullet made, and EVERY bullet type has had failures, the Partition included .
I came close to losing a deer last year because something went wrong with a famous brand and style of bullet, something that should never have happened, and I out it down to a once in a lifetime thing.
That one bad experience will not stop me from using them in any cartridge I use them in.
Cat
Exactly, I have even seen a Partition that shed both cores, but I can't say that I actually lost an animal due to bullet failure, because if I lost it, I can't confirm bullet placement. So I use what has performed well for me, and try a new bullet now and then .