Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-07-2017, 09:18 PM

They are also strongly encouraging people to not wear bear bells. They are finding bears especially curious to the light ringing and may actually attract instead of warning a bear of your presence.

Don't tell the granola crunchers.

Grizz
Old 09-08-2017, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
After rick cross was killed, and myself being chased by a moose, stalked by a pack of coyotes and bit by a dog...I've made it a point that I don't step out of the truck without spray. Spend enough time outside and the odds catch up. Glad you are ok.
Until Rick was killed I never even owned spray, almost went hunting with him that day and probably would have had I not shot an elk 2 days previous and spent a long night processing it. 3 years ago this last Wednesday, I still miss him, it was also sobering going to bass pro and buying spray a couple weeks later from his son.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:06 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
Until Rick was killed I never even owned spray, almost went hunting with him that day and probably would have had I not shot an elk 2 days previous and spent a long night processing it. 3 years ago this last Wednesday, I still miss him, it was also sobering going to bass pro and buying spray a couple weeks later from his son.
Be safe and cautious doing what you love to do every year.

Life is precious, live it to it's fullest.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-08-2017, 07:25 AM

Default Bear bells

Idk if they will scare a bear away but a little ice fishing bell clipped to my dogs collar is one of the best ideas i ever had allows me to keep him within earshot while focusing on fishing also gives any ground nesting birds a nice heads up so my dog cany catch them lol
Old 09-08-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
Same here. I didn't know Rick personally, but my son had him as a counselor at Camp Tee Pee Pole west of Sundre. He was devastated by the news and I started carrying spray with me ever since.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 09-08-2017, 01:53 PM

Glad it worked out well for you. I was bluff charged by black once. It stopped at 5 meters. Terrible experience.
Old 09-08-2017, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Good thoughts! I am opposite and have had a few close encounters and bluff charges. Mostly black bear while guiding and once by a Grizz. Never did I wish I had spray ever!
Curious is all from people with real life situations. Everyone has their opinion and I don't know if there is a right or wrong but I find it interesting in each situation what people think afterwords
I was bluff charged by big black while working with my colleague around Hinton few years ago. We were making lots of noise. We had air horn (didn't work at all), bear bangers (shot twice, didn't work). We were ready to spay (both had sprays). No shotguns (stupid company policy!). It stopped at about 5 meters. We were 15 meters off the road, retreated and jumped to our quads.
When I asked our safety woman (never been in bushes I guess) how we can protect ourselves in remote areas, she said that we watched bear awareness video.
Old 09-08-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vook View Post
I was bluff charged by big black while working with my colleague around Hinton few years ago.
When I asked our safety woman (never been in bushes I guess) how we can protect ourselves in remote areas, she said that we watched bear awareness video.

Maybe she should show the bear the video?

That way the bear would know how to behave.

BW
Old 09-08-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
[/B]

BW
With all the bear stuff going on lately, I googled Timothy Treadwell. Ended up listening to the audio of his final moments. chilling.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:08 PM

Default The Grizzly Truth

Not sure if anyone is interested, my neighbor passed this on, thought it might be worth a look.

Click here to view Trailer

THE GRIZZLY TRUTH
7:00PM
Tuesday, September 12, 2017
River Park Church, Calgary

http://justicefilmfestival.us11.list-manage.com/track/click?u=9b3b5a76d6cedcef13576da0b&id=d5132db90f&e= 8f99e9e817[/URL]
Old 09-08-2017, 10:49 PM

Quote:
[/B]

BW
That was a good one!!
Old 09-09-2017, 12:04 AM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
With all the bear stuff going on lately, I googled Timothy Treadwell. Ended up listening to the audio of his final moments. chilling.
Ya, this is a realy disturbing story!
Old 09-09-2017, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Got my curiosity, did not listen to tape but decided to read first.

http://www.yellowstone-bearman.com/Tim_Treadwell.html

Near the bottom of the post this is what it says.

Frequently Asked Question
Have you listened to the supposedly “real death audio” that is floating around on the internet, including UTube and is it real?
I have heard it and no it is not real but a fake or spoof. Jewel Palovak still holds the original tape and has no plans to release it. I hope that she never does. There is now a second fake version posted on UTube. The publisher of this latest UTube version stated to me in an email that he knew the audio he labeled as real, is in fact a fake. It was posted to draw traffic to his UTube page.
There are several ways to determine whether one of these recordings is real or not. Just recently I was given access to the first 2 minutes of the 6 minute tape. There are two sounds that have not been published that are unmistakeable and have been missing in each fake tape that I have heard. All fake recordings so far have been under 3 minutes in length and the real tape is 6 minutes. As I reported above in my investigation the bear is nearly silent. Bears typically make very little sounds, and each fake recording has the sound of a bear roaring, growling, and making all sorts of noises. In movies, bear noises are dubbed in electronically.
Old 09-09-2017, 11:42 AM

There was a book out at one time, (don't recall the name). It was a documentary asking bear attack survivors about their experiences. If I recall correctly 75% of them did not see the bear coming. I guess being around bears has it's risks & either one accepts or doesn't accept those risks.
Old 09-09-2017, 08:04 PM

Thanks for the heads up dude.
I spend a lot of time in Clearwater county fishing and 70 percent of the time I carry a 12 gauge with slugs.
The 20% of the time it might seem like it's more convenient to not have it but a guy always has it on the back of his mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-10-2017, 05:03 AM

To the OP, I am glad you guys are okay. Sounds to me like you did everything right.

I read an article in an american hunting magazine a couple years ago that cited a study done by Alaska fish and game. They looked at all recorded bear encounters in Alaska and compared them to bear encounters resulting in bear attacks. They determined that a person carrying a firearm was something like 50% more likely to be attacked then someone not carrying a fire arm. As human beings our survival instincts probably change when we are packing heat.
Old 09-10-2017, 02:23 PM

Really glad you and your son are okay. I've had a run in with a Grizzly in Waterton, but he kept his ground and didn't charge us. Still a scary situation. But nothing like yours.
Hope your son is doing alright. Could be pretty traumatic for a young kid I'm sure. Hope it doesn't change his attitude towards the outdoors life.
Sometimes I feel lucky my hunting is done in the Praries. Only Cougars to worry about. And that's really nothing compared to a Grizzly.
But I definetly want to start hunting in the mountain WMU's. And will prepare accordingly.
Take care.
Old 09-10-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowayin View Post
Got my curiosity, did not listen to tape but decided to read first.

http://www.yellowstone-bearman.com/Tim_Treadwell.html

Near the bottom of the post this is what it says.

Frequently Asked Question
Have you listened to the supposedly “real death audio” that is floating around on the internet, including UTube and is it real?
I have heard it and no it is not real but a fake or spoof. Jewel Palovak still holds the original tape and has no plans to release it. I hope that she never does. There is now a second fake version posted on UTube. The publisher of this latest UTube version stated to me in an email that he knew the audio he labeled as real, is in fact a fake. It was posted to draw traffic to his UTube page.
There are several ways to determine whether one of these recordings is real or not. Just recently I was given access to the first 2 minutes of the 6 minute tape. There are two sounds that have not been published that are unmistakeable and have been missing in each fake tape that I have heard. All fake recordings so far have been under 3 minutes in length and the real tape is 6 minutes. As I reported above in my investigation the bear is nearly silent. Bears typically make very little sounds, and each fake recording has the sound of a bear roaring, growling, and making all sorts of noises. In movies, bear noises are dubbed in electronically.
Good to know! I watched the documentary on treadwell that was done by Werner Herzog (I think that's the right spelling) The guy was absolutely off his rocker. Didn't know that audio was a fake though.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post
There was a book out at one time, (don't recall the name). It was a documentary asking bear attack survivors about their experiences. If I recall correctly 75% of them did not see the bear coming. I guess being around bears has it's risks & either one accepts or doesn't accept those risks.
Was it this book? Bear Attacks: The Deadly Truth
Old 09-14-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stLand View Post
that would scare the heck out of me
- - - and some other stuff at the same time - - -
Old 09-14-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
[/B]

BW
The sad thing is she's the type that would say that's a good idea!