Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-29-2018, 07:59 AM

Default Trout?

Hi, so I just got back from 10 days of awesome fishing. I probably caught 60 bull trout, 4 rainbows, and 100 grayling. So in my exploring I found countless pools that look perfect for fish, but nothing. Then I find one hole ( exactly like all the others) and pull 20 fish out of one hole( i found 2 holes like this).All bull trout 8 inch to 22 inch. So why are they all in one pool? Is it the time of year? Too early, too late? Also how do I target rainbows and brookies? I can catch bull trout, but the others elude me. The 4 rainbow I caught were quite small (5-6 inch) and were the only fish rising on a small stream, so they were easy to target.

If anyone could school me a bit on trout behaviour it would be appreciated. The bull trout are fun, and it was hot so they were feisty. Never had one peel line like the 22 inch did before.

I guess I should also note, the rivers were clean and clear.

Oh, and one pool has a brute in it, I hooked up with it twice and both times it broke my 12 lb leader. Maybe next time.
Old 06-29-2018, 03:42 PM

I find this on productive rivers with healthy bulltrout numbers often around this time of year. What I have witnessed and believe is there is a very large bull in that pool and if any trout start moving around a lot they will get chomped, therefore they don't feed and just sit still with their bellies on the bottom until that apex predator leaves.... Typically a 8-10" streamer will illicit a strike in this situation

What you witnessed is in support of this thought