Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-13-2016, 11:21 PM

Default 2 Rods picked up at auction.

So my father went to a auction tonight and ended up picking up 2 fly rods not exactly sure if they are worth much or worth keeping. Anyone got any input?
Dragonfly 10' Graphite 6 wt and a Browning The Gold Medallion 8-9 wt 9' rod Model # M229900 AFTMA 8-9 <--- guessing that's the Wt?

Any input on these would be great. Wondering if they are worth throwing a reel on them. mainly the 9wt for some pike. I have a 4wt and a 7wt. so im thinking the 9wt might be a good to add to my collection.

Let me know what you think!
Old 04-14-2016, 09:33 AM

I have a Dragonfly 6wt 2-piece that I bought in 1994 - my second fly rod. Dark green blank. It has been a great rod and always comes on fishing trips. I have lots of other higher end rods, but the Dragonfly has caught the most fish for me. I use it for everything from chronomid to type 3 sinking lines. It's very easy to cast and very forgiving. I usually use a 12' sink-tip on it now.

I paid about $100 for it back then. It could make a very good first rod for a new fly angler or just a steady performer for a more seasoned one.
Old 04-14-2016, 04:47 PM

I have a browning 4wt same make. It is pretty slugish for a graphite rod. If I were you I wouldn't bother using it for pike. You will have to put way to much into it for casting big streamers. But thats my opinion. It isnt a bad rod in fact it is a capable trout rod but for bombing heavy streamers you will just tire yourself out. On the good side they are near about indestructible for a graphite rod. Stick some 8wt line on it use on the bow for nymphing or some smaller pike lakes like chesterslough.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:30 PM

What model of dragonfly? Being a 10' I'm guessing a Kamloops model. I run exclusively dragonfly rods. Mostly Journey models, Kamloops and Expeditions. Exbeditions kind of cast like a 2x4. Love the journey rods and the kamloops are nice too.

I use to work for the wholesaler of dragonfly.