Old 09-02-2018, 12:09 PM

Just picked up one of these for my bear defense always wanted one

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 09-02-2018, 12:42 PM
Banned

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Its actually 3 things working in conjunction that may stop the attack. The pain from the 00, the muzzle blast and the sound of the gun shot. If a bear isnt scared off by all three of those things in conjunction, it's questionable if bearspray would deter the bear as well.
There's a recipe to get you killed.

Backgrounder - I worked both F&W as well as National Parks. In the latter role, I was part of the Bear Response Team. I have had to deal with a handful of problem bears over my span, including grizzlies.

We were trained to use 12 gauge slugs ONLY in tight quarter situations when a longer rifle wasn't preferable. Penetration tests on all shot failed miserably in comparison to slugs. Both on varying media, and on bears.

Bear spray was another item we tested. And while it did deter most, the ones that got ****ed off and targeted the source were large, dominant males without exception. Exactly the kind you do not want in your lap. I have never carried the stuff as a consequence.

The idea of hurting and trying to scare a ticked off bruin is ludicrous to me.
No buckshot is my rule, and one learned from a good deal of experience.
If you have to shoot, you shoot to kill with the heaviest hammer in your war-chest.
Anything else is quite likely to get you hurt or killed.

Even in the off case your strategy worked temporarily, you now have a wounded, and angry bear still out there. Passing off the job to someone else may work for you. It sure doesn't for me... Especially if that critter takes someone else out in retribution for your inferior choices...

Cheers,
Nog
Old 09-03-2018, 03:57 PM

I carry bear spray, but have a shotgun loaded with slugs handy too....
Old 09-04-2018, 09:34 PM

I killed a grizzly at 12 ft

Glad I used a rifle and not a shotgun

My 3006 turned his skull into a 30 piece puzzle
Old 09-05-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
I killed a grizzly at 12 ft

Glad I used a rifle and not a shotgun

My 3006 turned his skull into a 30 piece puzzle
Still waiting for a full story on that one!

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 09-05-2018, 11:31 AM

I shot a bear a few years ago, with a shot gun with slugs, I was driving to a lake looking down each cutline, saw one about 100 yards down grabbed my shotgun, posted up on the side of the cutline, waited for the bear to walk up to me, shot the bear at about 20 yards, the slug flipped the bear on his back, dead bear no moving no nothing, dead, this was before the lakeland park was formed.
Old 09-05-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
There's a recipe to get you killed.

Backgrounder - I worked both F&W as well as National Parks. In the latter role, I was part of the Bear Response Team. I have had to deal with a handful of problem bears over my span, including grizzlies.

We were trained to use 12 gauge slugs ONLY in tight quarter situations when a longer rifle wasn't preferable. Penetration tests on all shot failed miserably in comparison to slugs. Both on varying media, and on bears.

Bear spray was another item we tested. And while it did deter most, the ones that got ****ed off and targeted the source were large, dominant males without exception. Exactly the kind you do not want in your lap. I have never carried the stuff as a consequence.

The idea of hurting and trying to scare a ticked off bruin is ludicrous to me.
No buckshot is my rule, and one learned from a good deal of experience.
If you have to shoot, you shoot to kill with the heaviest hammer in your war-chest.
Anything else is quite likely to get you hurt or killed.

Even in the off case your strategy worked temporarily, you now have a wounded, and angry bear still out there. Passing off the job to someone else may work for you. It sure doesn't for me... Especially if that critter takes someone else out in retribution for your inferior choices...

Cheers,
Nog
You don't carry bear spray because it might not stop a head on assault from a large male grizzly????? Do you disable your air bags or refuse to wear seat belts because it won't help you if you run head on into a Mac truck???

And you think your rifle is 100% and the way to go??? Can you imagine what a trail would look like with every hiker, berry picker, bird watcher, bird hunter, bow hunter, fly fisher etc., etc., packing a big bore rifle with them every time they wander out?

You may have some experience around bears but you obviously have little with the public at large. There is no sure fire way to protect yourself from every scenario but the vast majority of people would be best served carrying bear spray.

Encountering a predatory or dangerously curious Black Bear is 1000 times more likely to happen than being taken out by a mature male Grizzly. Coyotes have proven themselves to be dangerously aggressive and Cougar attack is a real possibility.

Please don't discourage people from carrying something that is light, inexpensive and may save their lives or the life of someone else. They are not going to be running out and purchasing magnum rifles. They are not going to carry them everywhere and the vast majority wouldn't be able to use them effectively anyway. Bear spray saves lives every year. Two incidents lately involved the bear actually biting the can and spraying himself, saving the individuals. Have you ever heard of a bear shooting himself with the victims rifle?

The rest of your advise is very good. Only a person with a death wish would purposely wound an animal and if a bear encounter is part of your daily routine there would be no substitute for a hard hitting rifle.
Old 09-05-2018, 12:40 PM

Good comments this bow season I usually carry 2 pepper spray this year I'll be also carrying a Ka-Bar knife , once rifle season starts probably get rid of one pepper spray as i usually keep one on my back pack and on my hip, carrying a rifle around during bow season is not an option for me. Good luck and check your expiry dates.

Old 09-28-2018, 01:06 AM
Banned

Old 09-28-2018, 06:44 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
Still waiting for a full story on that one!
The underwear were tossed into the woods after that.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-28-2018, 06:50 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Just picked up one of these for my bear defense always wanted one

Nice knife.

The owner of the KA-BAR trademark, the Union Cutlery Co. of Olean, New York, began using the name on its knives and in its advertising in 1923 after receiving a testimonial letter from a fur trapper, who used the knife to kill a wounded bear that attacked him after his rifle jammed.

Yup just another story.....these knives will open a can of beans though

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-28-2018, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIceTitan View Post
Bear spray and, if worst comes to worst, a shotgun with 00.

Comment from a Yukon hiking book. If you spray a bear, he won't be back for at least 5 minutes, but if he does, he's not gonna be happy.

Grizz
Old 09-28-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhorn2 View Post
If your hunting with partner Brass knuckles and/or nunchucks. All it will take is one good pop on his chin, he will go down the bear will get him. You will be able to escape at just a brisk walk.
Old 09-28-2018, 01:06 PM

Default Bear Spray

I just got Bear Spray from canadian tire.... for bow hunting; not planning on meeting a bear... just came across tracks in the from our last snow fall.
Old 09-28-2018, 01:30 PM

Maybe we should revive the old bear safety suit instead of bear spray and bullets.

These spikes suits were invented back in the day. I guess a person just stood still until the bear tried to swat them and then then suit bites the bear back.

It works for porcupines.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PildKS20iEI

It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Last edited by Red Bullets; 09-28-2018 at 01:36 PM.
Old 09-28-2018, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post

Bear spray was another item we tested. And while it did deter most, the ones that got ****ed off and targeted the source were large, dominant males without exception.
Noggin, how, where and when did you conduct these tests?
Are they published anywhere?
Old 09-28-2018, 08:22 PM

I remember doing my pal course. It was done by 2 retired f@w officers. When I mentioned bear spray they both snickered and said they choose a firearm first.