Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-25-2018, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen moa View Post
12ga pump 20”smooth bore with sights and buck shot.
I’d start at 40 yards if I had the chance.
If you have time, take one shot with your 12 gauge and buckshot at a 40 yard paper target and then post a pic here. I'm curious to know how many pellets hit the target.

Gerry Burnie
Old 08-25-2018, 08:29 AM
Banned

Shoozing at a grizzly at 40 yards is not self defense shotguns are the key 10 yards and under. Cos told me you better have chew or claw marks
Old 08-25-2018, 09:55 AM

Default grizz

I like West 5's approach, a grizzly bear charging a human at close range needs to be put down with lead period. He does not p__s around with save the grizz crowd, save a human life!
Old 08-25-2018, 10:36 AM

I agree 100% that Treadwell was not an expert by any means Just a Fool in the bush ,I'll still carry two cans of pepper spray when bow hunting and usually heavy duty buck knife for when they're chewing on me

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 08-25-2018, 11:20 AM

I have to shake my head when I hear about the alternating slugs and buckshot in an extended magazine. Just how many shots do you think you will get if a grizzly charges from cl0se range? I have been charged by a grizzly, but since I was actually hunting grizzly, I opened fire at 30 yards with a 338x8mmremmag, and the first shot stopped the bear, after striking it in the throat, and lodging n a rear hip. Had that shot not stopped the bear, I would ave been extremely lucky to get off a second aimed shot. If you open fire at 50 yards, it likely won't be considered self defense, and you can expect to face charges.
Old 08-25-2018, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Actually Treadwell was an "enthusiast and grizzly fanboy." Not an expert by a long stretch. He was also a fool and lived in some sort of fantasyland full of fairies and magic foo foo dust where all bears lie on your pillows waiting to be hugged at night.

His "girlfriend" must have been also. She got smoked by the same bear and both of them were pretty much eaten up.

As for weapon of choice, if one even has the opportunity to get off a shot, 12 gauge all the way. At close range, 10-15 yards and under, they're devastating, and the odds of missing are minimal. To heck with the 50 yards stuff. Wait til it's 20 yards away and start blasting. Semi Auto..What plug?

At the very worst they'll have a healthy migraine while chewing off your legs.
That's kind of why added quotations around the word expert. He did survive 13summers I believe around them, and got to observe them for long periods of time. Pretty sure he gained some practical knowledge until one of the bears didn't follow the rules he had figured out in his mind.

Part of the reason I scoff at just having bear knowledge, is that you just don't know what they're going to do. Especially dealing with unknown bears.

I mentioned 50 yards as another member mentioned it, so I figured out just how abysmal the energy and typical pattern would be with buck at that range.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 08-25-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
I'm not trying to be funny or an "oldtimer redneck" by saying this...

When I was in the back country of BC chasing gold 35 years ago I met some of the oldtime miners that had been in the back country mining since the 1930's. We talked about bears and those men did use shotguns for protection.

They talked about the buckshot and slugs method of lead therapy. One thing they told me that I haven't seen mentioned was that the first shot should be number 4 or 6 bird shot at closer ranges. Birdshot shot in a bears face will blind the bear which gives the human an advantage for the follow up shots with 00 buckshot and slugs. When a bear is shot in the face with the birdshot they will typically rub their face with their paws or on the ground.

I was charged by a good sized black once and like the Ice Titan mentioned you can't train for that deer in the headlights feeling a charging bear creates. That bear covered 30 years in a second. I didn't have time to blink. If I had been armed at the time I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have had time to react. Even from the hip. Luckily the bear stopped 10 feet short. I can't imagine the feeling a charging grizzly would create.
I've heard that for years, from various people. Apparently been passed down as gospel for ages. Thanks for that reference. I think I'll skip the bird shot, though. Might have worked for someone, but might not for me. I might only get one shot.

Or less, as you mentioned!

Pureblood!
Old 08-25-2018, 01:56 PM

Pepper spray. Or a high powered rifle from A FAR!

If you are shooting at it, better make sure you can kill it!
Old 08-25-2018, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
I get a kick out of all these bear spray advocates that claim you’ll never get a shot off in time with a 12ga and buckshot but apparantley bear spray is miraculously lightning fast?
.....and buckshot or slugs won’t achieve effective penetration??
Seriously??
Gimme a break!!
My cheap opinion for what’s worth,having killed several deer with both slugs and buckshot out to 50 yards,is that if an aggressive grizz is close enough that I feel threatened enough to shoot it,a face full of buckshot is gonna be a serious deterrent if not instantly or near instantly lethal,as would be a 12ga slug front on in the chest/neck/ head or broadside in the vitals.If he’s close enough for bear spray to be effective,then he’s plenty close enough to kill or turn away with buckshot/slugs.....and I’m really not interested in or concerned about not choosing a non-lethal detterant.....an aggressive/would be attacker bear should be put down on the spot before it hurts or kills someone less prepared,and I won’t lose a minute sleep over it .
Now that said,I do carry spray as well,as I believe it might be your only hope if taken by surprise and might even stop a mauling,but the first thing I’m reaching for in a bear encounter while I’m bowhunting/flyfishing is my gun.
I carry either my 14” barreled 870 with custom birdshead grip which comes in at just a hair over legal 27.6” OAL,or my Rossi Ranch Hand .45LC with P+ loads which exceed the energy of standard/off the shelf .44mag fodder.
Rifle hunting I don’t carry spray but probably not a bad idea as again,as already said,might be a last resort if taken by surprise and already getting chewed up,but aside from a surprise charge out of nowhere I’m going down in a pile of spent brass and I’m not waiting til he’s inside 10 yards or playing guessing games with bluff charges.....if I feel threatened I’m shooting first and guessing as to his intentions later.
Yeah, I agree with the bear spray comment. Like the Ranch Hand option, but with a full length stock, as my shouldered accuracy is much better.

I stand by what I said about buckshot and soft RN hollow base slugs. Surely I don't have to explain that there are a few physical differences between a 200 lb. deer, and a 1000 lb. grizzly?

With my own informal testing, I have found a serious lack of penetration with both buck and slugs. I remember when I was kid yet, shooting at a small green tree, and the 20 gauge slug stopped so quickly that I could see it still, and could poke my finger into the tree to touch it. And nothing I have seen since has impressed me much more.

The buckshot probably kills deer pretty well within it's range. Probably why it's called "buck", but I've never heard it called "angry grizzly" shot! 00 is .32 cal, and what would be considered a squirrel rifle ball down South. 000 is still only .36 cal and approximates the ballistics of a cap and ball revolver. If you trust that'll do the job go hard. If you are close enough that it's still clustered together, I'm sure it would work better, but then why use buck? You could go to some of the specialty "extra large" shot, but when you are relying on the spread to land on a 4" brain, I'm not sure that increases the likelihood of an instant stop.

Buck has it's place, and enjoys a spot as a stopper on jaguar. But a big bear isn't a jaguar and has a reputation for stopping and deflecting projectiles with it's head. It might be a little exaggerated, but it does happen. A member here believes his first shot with .45 ACP hardball was the one that stopped in a female grizzly's head. The rest all penetrated and exited. I believe it was hit 13times.

If we want to talk about what the pros use, it's nearly never buckshot. Here's a few snippets from around the web on why:

Quote:
In the middle of us was a packer who had brought a pistol grip 12 gauge shotgun loaded with 00 buck-shot as his packer-gun. While all of us had big guns, of course the packer walked directly into the wounded bear at 5 yards, or 15 feet. The bear was laying on his back with his legs toward the gun and his head away from the guns, and sat up. The packer shot the bear in the middle of the chest with two blasts of 00 buck. The bear was already feeling poorly from having his shoulder shot-up. Although it immediately layed back down on its back, and died.....the 00 buck-shot had only penetrated about 2 or 2 1/2 inches. It was frightening, seeing how poorly the 00 buck-shot had performed, from only 15 feet away. Think about it. That is one-half the distance of a football first down, five yards.
^^^Guide

Quote:
Not so many years ago, the Alaska Department of Fish & Game decided to put a sizable collection of bear skulls to use in tests with high-powered rifles and shotguns. The results were unexpected and VERY surprising, to say the least. They were amazed at how often even BIG bore rifle slugs were reflected off of the skulls with insufficient effect and penetration to result in a killing shot. What surprised them even more was the MOST effective round didn't come from a rifle at all, but from a 12 gauge shotgun. Not just ANY shotgun slug, but one style in particular. The round nosed slugs bounced off the thick bone almost as much and as often as the rifle slugs. BUT....the slug that penetrated almost every time was the blunt or flat nosed slug. I assume the sharp angle on the outer edge of the slug had a tendency to bite into the bone more than the round headed bullets and shotgun slugs did. Because of what I learned from that experiment, my 870 Wingmaster 12 gauge backs up our big bore bear rifle with the blunt slugs. My son carries the magnum and I carry the 12. A bear charging me will get a slug (or two) drilling into him somewhere between the tip of his nose and the spine between his shoulders. If that works, I'll be sure to let you know. If it doesn't......??? And as an after thought, 00 buckshot was even less effective than the rifle slugs. I do NOT recommend you go there at all. EVER! One old Alaskan told me he loaded slugs for the bear, except for the last one which was buck shot. That was for shooting himself in case he missed the bear.
^^^ Former Alaskan Game Warden

Quote:
Here is a drawing that shows the exposed vital areas on a bear for shot placement;
http://www.aaaalaskanoutfitters.com/i/Ta...
You will notice it dosent show the head as a vital shot area. The reason is its simply not a good place to shoot a bear. Most of that big head looking at you is fur and the brain is a small target. Its like trying to hit a grapefruit bouncing up and down coming at you at 30+ mph. One guy did make a head shot on a griz with a 12 ga shotgun loaded with a rifled slug as I watched. I watched the bear go down like a rock only to get right back up. The soft lead slug hit its forehead and glanced off, leaving a bloody flesh wound and one very ticked off bear! It was then shot in the correct area a couple times and went down for good.

So while its possible to kill a griz with a slug to the head it’s a bad idea. As for a black bear its one dead bear with a good head shot but again its not the preferred area to aim for. When I was a hunting guide I told my clients to never aim for the head, always aim for a shoulder shot into the vitals; stop bear first then kill it.
^^^ Former guide

Pureblood!
Old 08-25-2018, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
That's kind of why added quotations around the word expert. He did survive 13summers I believe around them, and got to observe them for long periods of time. Pretty sure he gained some practical knowledge until one of the bears didn't follow the rules he had figured out in his mind.

Part of the reason I scoff at just having bear knowledge, is that you just don't know what they're going to do. Especially dealing with unknown bears.

This article from the Anchorage Daily News is about the best reading on the Treadwell story I've come across. He doesn't get a lot of sympathy from Alaskans in the comments. Pretty horrific stuff.

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...ccount.153604/
Old 08-25-2018, 02:43 PM

I don’t hunt anymore and I don’t pack a gun while fishing in bear country. I use my head for bear protection. I bring my dog who has a bell attached to her collar and I carry bear spray.

My thoughts are when it’s our time it’s our time. I’d rather go down to a bear attack then have cancer kill me slowly.

I’m probably at greater risk driving to my fishing area then I am of being attacked by a bear.

BW
Old 08-25-2018, 03:10 PM

Does any know if there is a bear grenade out there, a big bang with a puff of bear spray in it, when it hits anything it goes off, google says https://shop.foxlabs.com/collections/mean-green but is this legal in Canada,
Old 08-25-2018, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
This article from the Anchorage Daily News is about the best reading on the Treadwell story I've come across. He doesn't get a lot of sympathy from Alaskans in the comments. Pretty horrific stuff.

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...ccount.153604/
Thanks. Never read the full account of them finding the bodies before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
I don’t hunt anymore and I don’t pack a gun while fishing in bear country. I use my head for bear protection. I bring my dog who has a bell attached to her collar and I carry bear spray.

My thoughts are when it’s our time it’s our time. I’d rather go down to a bear attack then have cancer kill me slowly.

I’m probably at greater risk driving to my fishing area then I am of being attacked by a bear.

BW
For sure driving to the fishing area is a bigger risk. But I don't count on a bear killing me fast; there was a young woman who called her parents while a bear was attacking and eating her. It took an hour to kill her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
Does any know if there is a bear grenade out there, a big bang with a puff of bear spray in it, when it hits anything it goes off, google says https://shop.foxlabs.com/collections/mean-green but is this legal in Canada,
I have a couple cans of bear spray kicking around, but am loathe to trust it. Heard of too many instances of where it didn't work. They train police to fight through OC, how much more fight does the average bear have?

I know Gatehouse of HuntingBC and CGN has emptied a can on a bear and it kept coming back to get sprayed again. I think he eventually shot it.

Then there's this account right from the link .270 provided:

Quote:
I worked at the local zoo for a few months this year in the carnivore section and after working with the two grizz, I'm more scared of 'em than ever. We have two, a male and a female. The female, Stripes, is extremely intelligent. At least twice a day, after feedings, she would always reach outside her bars and check to see if we locked the padlocks. Her speed is amazing and she seemed to spend her time thinking of ways to mess with the zookeepers. She loved to grab the hose we used to clean her cage with, given a chance. The last time she succeded, one of our zookeepers was afraid that she would get sick from the rubber and pepper sprayed her in hopes of driving her away from the hose.
She got mad. Reeeeaaaalllll mad. She didn't run, just tried to get at her tormenter. I wasn't sure that she couldn't break through the bars.

Pureblood!
Old 08-25-2018, 04:45 PM

Default Nunchucks

Lol!
Old 08-25-2018, 09:28 PM

Default Grizzly bear defence

These threads all spiral out of control so this is probably a waste of time. That said... I’ve never stopped a charging bear. I’ve been charged but never had to shoot. I pack spray on my hip and sometimes a 45/70 stoked with 425 grain bullets. I’ve packed a 12 gauge before and kept it loaded with brenneke slugs. The only way I know to reliably stop a charge is to break him down. Treating his eyes like a clay pigeon or praying a load of 00 buck is going to find his brain isn’t my idea of breaking him down. I want something that’ll give me stem to stern penetration and I manage to hit him where it counts.

These are my bear stoppers.

Old 08-25-2018, 09:37 PM

So which is it, 12g or spray?
Old 08-25-2018, 10:18 PM

Default Heimo

Heimo Korth, the survivalist, who lives in the ANWAR in Alaska uses a 12 guage with slugs for grizzly protection.
Old 08-26-2018, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
I have a couple cans of bear spray kicking around, but am loathe to trust it. Heard of too many instances of where it didn't work. They train police to fight through OC, how much more fight does the average bear have?

I know Gatehouse of HuntingBC and CGN has emptied a can on a bear and it kept coming back to get sprayed again. I think he eventually shot it.
There was an incident in Banff where some hikers came between a female grizz and her cubs, and it took multiple shots of spray to keep her at bay; she retreated after each shot, shook it off, and then came forward repeatedly. They lucked out, as she gave up when they were pretty much at empty.

I have read of an incident where, due to the cold, the spray can completely refused to discharge.

So, in other words, pack the largest can that can be managed and hope for the best, and back it up with a firearm.
Old 08-26-2018, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If you open fire at 50 yards, it likely won't be considered self defense, and you can expect to face charges.
You are foolishly mistakenly presuming that in the event that I am forced to shoot a grizz I am going to then turn myself in for the cavity search and full Monty investigation under the Grizzly CSI microscope......NOT!!
I’m gonna pick up my brass,do a 180,and hunt somewhere else for the rest of the year......maybe 2 years?😜
Old 08-26-2018, 07:14 AM

Quote:
I have to shake my head when I hear about the alternating slugs and buckshot in an extended magazine. Just how many shots do you think you will get if a grizzly charges from cl0se range? I have been charged by a grizzly, but since I was actually hunting grizzly, I opened fire at 30 yards with a 338x8mmremmag, and the first shot stopped the bear, after striking it in the throat, and lodging n a rear hip. Had that shot not stopped the bear, I would ave been extremely lucky to get off a second aimed shot. If you open fire at 50 yards, it likely won't be considered self defense, and you can expect to face charges.
I always love these threads, it's fun to think about what you would do. Reality says, if you're attacked by a bear, it's likely to be sudden and unexpected, with very little time to respond, won't matter what you're carrying, bear has the advantage.

Grizz
Old 08-26-2018, 08:32 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
If you have time, take one shot with your 12 gauge and buckshot at a 40 yard paper target and then post a pic here. I'm curious to know how many pellets hit the target.
Federal flight control OO keeps it all tight 10" pattern at 40 yards....out of my 590....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-26-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutie View Post
So which is it, 12g or spray?

Third option. Hunt with a slow running partner.
Old 08-26-2018, 10:41 AM

Default grizz

There seems to be some confusion relative to 00 buck and slugs to stop a grizzly charge. The shotgun should have no plug, first round should be buck to hopefully blind or slow charging bear, then last 5 slugs are to finish him off at close range. Lastly do not forget your shovel, in Alberta best to SSS.
Old 08-26-2018, 10:57 AM

As a hiker/runner I never gave much thought to anything more than bear spray... but I always made lots of noise and didn't skulk around trying to surprise animals.

I am now considering bringing along a firearm for solo scouting trips below treeline in the bush and will likely go with a shotgun/slugs in addition to bear spray.

Really do not think you can plan for exactly what is best, the more attacks I read about the more it seems clear there is no best way to be prepared as they often go down differently. Realistically, I do not see myself walking around with a gun in my hands all the time, so bear spray will remain my first line of defence with the shotgun as back up if I find myself in one of these extended scenarios with additional attacks. I figure I will carry it in a quick access scabbard that I can reach while the bear is shaking off the bearspray... or not...
Old 08-26-2018, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Federal flight control OO keeps it all tight 10" pattern at 40 yards....out of my 590....
And thats when you want to start shooting if you think the bear is serious about a charge. If your lucky, you might get 2-3 shots off in the time it takes a bear to cover 50 yards. People seem to be missing that the reason you shoot buck isnt to kill the bear. Its because you most likely wont have much time to aim, and your adrenaline will be pumping making it hard to be precise. If bear spray can work as a deterrent, a round of buck should also work as a deterrent. The slugs are to finish them off when you have more time to take a clean shot, or if they run through your first round of buck. If you fired your first round of 00 when the bear was at 40, by the time you reload and have a slug chambered that bear either has veered off or is still coming at you. In which case its getting a 12 gauge slug at 10-15 yards.

And I could care less if a bear is walking around with buck in its face. Unless it was completely blinded or had its jaw blown off. That bear will most likely recover and have a much healthier respect for humans.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 08-26-2018, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
You are foolishly mistakenly presuming that in the event that I am forced to shoot a grizz I am going to then turn myself in for the cavity search and full Monty investigation under the Grizzly CSI microscope......NOT!!
I’m gonna pick up my brass,do a 180,and hunt somewhere else for the rest of the year......maybe 2 years?😜
That's fine as long as nobody sees the shooting, or remembers seeing you in the area, after the bear is found dead and reported by someone else , and F&W conducts an investigation.
Old 08-26-2018, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
And thats when you want to start shooting if you think the bear is serious about a charge. If your lucky, you might get 2-3 shots off in the time it takes a bear to cover 50 yards. People seem to be missing that the reason you shoot buck isnt to kill the bear. Its because you most likely wont have much time to aim, and your adrenaline will be pumping making it hard to be precise. If bear spray can work as a deterrent, a round of buck should also work as a deterrent. The slugs are to finish them off when you have more time to take a clean shot, or if they run through your first round of buck. If you fired your first round of 00 when the bear was at 40, by the time you reload and have a slug chambered that bear either has veered off or is still coming at you. In which case its getting a 12 gauge slug at 10-15 yards.

And I could care less if a bear is walking around with buck in its face. Unless it was completely blinded or had its jaw blown off. That bear will most likely recover and have a much healthier respect for humans.
With bear spray, you put up a wall of spray between you and the bear, with a shotgun,I have seen many people miss incoming clays with a target load out of a skeet choke. Those people would have pretty low odds of hitting a running bear in the vitals with a slug at even 10-15 yards. So while a composed, skilled shooter might do well with a shotgun, many people would be better off with bear spray.

As for that bear that you hit in the face with buckshot but don't kill, you could just as easily be setting someone else up for an unexpected encounter with a wounded bear.
Old 08-26-2018, 09:33 PM

Quote:
With bear spray, you put up a wall of spray between you and the bear, with a shotgun,I have seen many people miss incoming clays with a target load out of a skeet choke. Those people would have pretty low odds of hitting a running bear in the vitals with a slug at even 10-15 yards. So while a composed, skilled shooter might do well with a shotgun, many people would be better off with bear spray.

As for that bear that you hit in the face with buckshot but don't kill, you could just as easily be setting someone else up for an unexpected encounter with a wounded bear.
While you might unexpectedly set someone else up. I dont think a injured bear would be going after another person, unless that person was stumbling through thick bush. I think its far more probable that the bear would go bed down in some cover to heal up and try avoiding any further confrontation. Also its worth noting that the chances of that bear running into someone else in the places you can legally carry a gun are pretty low. At least in the Central to North parts of the province.

As far as the comment on hitting the bear at 10-15 yards. I think any relatively decent shooter could make a hit on a target 30-40 yards away with buck shot. The second shot your right would be questionable if untrained, so hopefully you wouldnt have to take it. One nice advantage of the pump action though is that cycling the action helps bring you back on target. Even more so then an automatic or lever action. So with not a ton of training you can get relatively quick at it.

In saying that bear spray has its place and has been proven to be effective. For the majority of my hiking it's all I take. Especially down around Kananaskis where there's lots of vegetation and the bears feed mostly on berries. Now if you go into Northern BC or Alberta where the winters are long, summers short and the bears feed more on mammals then berries. Thats where youd want a gun. Thats why its important to learn about the bears, their habitats and how they behave. A southern bear that feeds mostly on berries, clover, and fish, is less likely to be predatory then a northern bear which feeds on deer fawns and calf moose. Education is the most important thing. Although even if you know what to expect, if your time is up, it's up.

One last thing to add, Im more worried about 2 legged creatures then 4 when I go out into the bush. Statistically you have a better chance of getting shot by another hunter or having a gun accidentally discharge and kill you then you are of being killed by a bear. Bears average 1 death per year, cougars and wolves far lower. Enjoy your time outside, and happy hunting.

Edit: Forgot to add bear spray is hardly a wall, more like a tunnel. Id recommend carrying two after discharging a couple this summer.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 08-26-2018, 09:45 PM

I fall into the camp of big centrefires or slugs. I do however keep bear spray accessible on the argo.

I don't believe in buck shot. If you've got the opportunity of a warning shot at 50 yards, the last thing you want to do is start firing ball bearings in it's general direction. Good chance of a deflection and making the situation worse. With a no plug shotty you have lots of warning shots available to you.

I played this scenario out in my mind many times before I needed it. Guiding caribou hunters on the tundra, I was involved in two situations where I was charged. One incident was nothing more than a display of aggression. A lot of stomping and popping and mock charges. We backed off slowly and that was it......always figured it had a kill close by.

The second was a full on charge that the bear broke off at less than 20 yards. I did fire a warning shot at this bear a minute or so before it charged at 40 or 50m. My clients couldn't believe that I didn't pull the trigger. This is how I explained it to them:

First, if you're ever in a full charge situation, I've resigned to the fact that you are likely going to get hurt. I'm of the opinion that you stand your ground. Get low (bent knee's with your weight forward or even on one knee) so your trajectory empties all of the energy into the body. When a bear is charging you, its head is down. It is on a direct line to you. It is a relatively easy shot if you can wait until the 5-8m mark. The bear might bowl you over but it will be dead when it hits you.

The only time that I had to kill a bear on a charge was a small/medium sized black that I wounded a couple hours before. He was tired of being pushed and decided that he wasn't going to go without fight. It's a bit of a long story but he wound up getting shot just above the nostrils. Bullet broke its jaw and travelled through the cavity and was found hallway through the pad of the rear foot. The shot was at about 10 feet with at 257wby and 115gr tsx (not the best but you use what is in your hand at the time). All of the petals were gone. Best way to describe it was "just like an accordion". His head stopped and he crumpled into it.

I have a 444 & a 375 that are my "bear deterrents".
Old 08-27-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post

Necropsy results showed that 8mm 12 gauge shot penetrated the hide but stopped at the 4’ fat layer on bear 757 (Black Grizzly” Of Whiskey Creek BNP) in 1980.

Bear savvy wardens felt the 8mm shot from 30 feet away only served to infuriate the massive bruin further (761 lbs), they finished the job with a .270 bullet to the head (below ear).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology