Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-28-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
I wonder how the landowner's liability is effected when Outfitters access their land?

The Occupier's Liability Act protects the landowners from liability when people are given permission to access for non-commercial "recreational" activities.

Outfitting is NOT a non-commercial recreational activity.

Landowner's need to consider if they are putting themselves at risk by allowing Outfitting on their land.
Wow , good point.
Old 09-28-2018, 01:44 PM

This day and age there are just to many people trying to get one up on ya and just don't care your are better off to just not let them on your land sad but so true
Old 09-28-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
I wonder how the landowner's liability is effected when Outfitters access their land?

The Occupier's Liability Act protects the landowners from liability when people are given permission to access for non-commercial "recreational" activities.

Outfitting is NOT a non-commercial recreational activity.

Landowner's need to consider if they are putting themselves at risk by allowing Outfitting on their land.
The simple answer is the outfitter carries commercial liability specifically for their respective business. Individuals do NOT carry this insurance.
Old 09-28-2018, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
The simple answer is the outfitter carries commercial liability specifically for their respective business. Individuals do NOT carry this insurance.
Actually, many individuals do carry such insurance coverage. For example, all members of the AFGA.

I'm sure the Outfitter's insurance company would Never sue the landowner if they could....

Like that charity did (despite having their own insurance coverage), which led to a successful claim against the landowner and thus the amended Occupier's Liability Act.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 09-28-2018, 03:24 PM

Quote:

Like that charity did (despite having their own insurance coverage), which led to a successful claim against the landowner and thus the amended Occupier's Liability Act.
What is this case you speak of in which a charity sued a landowner?
Old 09-28-2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Actually, many individuals do carry such insurance coverage. For example, all members of the AFGA.

I'm sure the Outfitter's insurance company would Never sue the landowner if they could....

Quite a few Hutt colonies are aware of this case and don’t allow permission. That was a bad one for gaining permission.
Old 09-28-2018, 03:28 PM

Quote:

I am pretty sure a commercial policy is a lot difference than individual insurance supplied by AFGA through a membership..

But go a head and get the landowners excited and create more of a division in our group...
Old 09-28-2018, 08:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Was the younger brother hunting for his teeth?
Would make a good episode. I must not of been home for them to ask permission or they figured that not to bother because I got my land posted no hunting or trespassing without permission. They got run out of a area close by a couple of years back then moved their camp to a different neighbors grazing lease. As far as I know they have no permission to camp on the grazing lease.
Old 09-28-2018, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
Well good luck with that proposition sir, I wish you all the best in that venture. I’d suggest you stick to hunting those areas yourself, it would likely cause less hassle.
But you never know, some Outfitters do things differently
Well Tork,if I’m not mistaken,you are an Outfitter/Guide yourself,yes?
If you don’t think my concerns are legit,perhaps you might want to guide resident hunters this year,show them your spots,make a few quick bucks and shoot yerself in the foot at the same time because next year they’ll be back hunting those spots on their own.......same thing,no?
Old 09-28-2018, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
Well Tork,if I’m not mistaken,you are an Outfitter/Guide yourself,yes?
If you don’t think my concerns are legit,perhaps you might want to guide resident hunters this year,show them your spots,make a few quick bucks and shoot yerself in the foot at the same time because next year they’ll be back hunting those spots on their own.......same thing,no?
Not at all ! My guides are either part of the team or they aren’t. Like I said maybe some Outfitters have guides that have their own spots and don’t share where they are, but mine don’t.
I pay for their time, the fuel, the trail cameras and the bait while hunting deer on private land. The permission obtained is for the outfit with me deciding what hunter goes where and when.
If a guide wants to do it on their own, I suggest they venture out on their own and attempt to find clients for themselves after buying the allocations or concession.
But like I said, some Outfitters do it differently. Maybe somebody would hire you own as a contractor with your own permission on certain chunks of land. My issue would be when they got stale or didn’t produce on a hunt, would you then want to hunt the Outfitters spots ?
Old 09-28-2018, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
Not at all ! My guides are either part of the team or they aren’t. Like I said maybe some Outfitters have guides that have their own spots and don’t share where they are, but mine don’t.
I pay for their time, the fuel, the trail cameras and the bait while hunting deer on private land. The permission obtained is for the outfit with me deciding what hunter goes where and when.
If a guide wants to do it on their own, I suggest they venture out on their own and attempt to find clients for themselves after buying the allocations or concession.
But like I said, some Outfitters do it differently. Maybe somebody would hire you own as a contractor with your own permission on certain chunks of land. My issue would be when they got stale or didn’t produce on a hunt, would you then want to hunt the Outfitters spots ?
You might want to re-word the highlight unless you are from Saskatchewan. just saying..

I do like your idea of being a team. The outfitter I worked for certainly didn't think like that. It was all about him.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 09-29-2018, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
You might want to re-word the highlight unless you are from Saskatchewan. just saying..

I do like your idea of being a team. The outfitter I worked for certainly didn't think like that. It was all about him.
I outfit in BC now sir, so it’s all good.

My boys are definitely my team, without them all this doesn’t happen. They work hard and get treated very well.