Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-14-2017, 07:57 AM

Default New Gear Reviews

My season is over for 2017, and it has been a good season overall. I used a few new pieces of gear this fall, some that worked out well, and some that I won't use again. I started the upland season with a new pair of Meindl Ultralight boots, and they worked out very well. They are very light, required no break in, and were waterproof. The ice fishing sled from Cabelas worked great for getting our moose to the truck, and was a deal at $50 on sale. I used the shoulder length disposable gloves for cleaning our moose, with latex gloves over top, which worked well, but they do slide down, so a bit of tape helps to hold them up. I tried two Havalon knives with disposable blades, to clean moose, and I prefer my other knives. The Havalons did not stay sharp as long, and changing blades is not easy with fat and tissue frozen on. The best new gear by far was the Primos Triggersticks tripod. I used it for my pronghorn, and felt very comfortable shooting 300 yards with it fully extended. A bipod would have been useless because I needed to shoot standing up to see the buck in hilly terrain. My friend was very comfortable using the tripod this week to shoot our moose, and now he is going to buy his own and retire his bipod.