Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-31-2009, 06:54 PM

Default Over Under vs. Side by Side Shotguns

Are there some major differences in the swing and feel of these two styles etc? I'm thinking of getting a 20g for pheasants next year... The o/u seems more popular - is there a good reason for this, or is it just the current fashion? I've never used anything but a remington 870.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:14 PM
Banned

I like the straight stocked, splinter forend sxs myself. Others differ. The sxs used to have a distinct advantage in the weight department but those Beretta's are pretty light. The sxs also does not have to hinge as far which I like because I carry it open over my shoulder quite a bit. The biggest complaint folks have is the wide sighting plane but it certainly has not affected my shooting any. Of course the O/U's are more readily available and usually at a much better price point.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:17 PM

If there wasn't some advantage,o/u guns would not be so popular in trap and skeet competition,whereas sxs are very rare,or non existent at the upper levels of competition.Serious competitors will use whatever configuration gives them the best scores,and they choose the o/u layout.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:28 PM
Banned

That's where the narrower sighting plane argument I have heard comes from.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:42 PM

It is also easier to regulate the barrels on an O/U than a SXS.
The wide sighting plain does mess some people up, but others have no problem with it.
I have a bunch of each and enjoy both styles, but prefer a splinter for end with double triggers and an English stock.

As far as registered shooting scores go, I can shoot higher scores with my O/U's than I can with my SXS's, but I don't shoot trap and skeet competitively anymore so don't worry about it.
When practising for upland ( lowgun with the safety on and trigger along the guard) my scores are almost identical, and that is what I try and concentrate on these days - feathered birds!
Cat
Old 12-31-2009, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindalbakken View Post
I like the straight stocked, splinter forend sxs myself. Others differ. The sxs used to have a distinct advantage in the weight department but those Beretta's are pretty light. The sxs also does not have to hinge as far which I like because I carry it open over my shoulder quite a bit. The biggest complaint folks have is the wide sighting plane but it certainly has not affected my shooting any. Of course the O/U's are more readily available and usually at a much better price point.
I was amazed last year when I tried out a Yidiz 20 gauge O/U, it was as light or lighter than my little 28 gauge Bobwhite!
The big difference is in the metal used for the receiver, mine is case hardened, and the Yildiz is a coin finish alloy.
the alloys being used for field guns these days are very lightweight and very strong also.

Even Kriegoff uses alloys in some of their shotguns and drillings.
Cat
Old 12-31-2009, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If there wasn't some advantage,o/u guns would not be so popular in trap and skeet competition,whereas sxs are very rare,or non existent at the upper levels of competition.Serious competitors will use whatever configuration gives them the best scores,and they choose the o/u layout.
Tis true ^. But if you're not into serious competition, it's all a matter of 'personal preference'.

I have one of each (O/U & SxS) and enjoy shooting both. Biggest advantage for me with a double (when hunting), is the ability to use two different chokes on the same gun. In the past, I've owned singles as well (both auto & pump), but I perfer my doubles.

So what should you get ... an O/U or a SxS??? If you can, I'd suggest you try them both. And then pick the type that works/feels best for you.

Good Hunting!

GW

Old 01-01-2010, 02:20 PM
Banned

Default o/u versis sxs

Usually, with an over and under, the weight will be distrubuted more evenly over the full length of the gun than with a side by side weighing the same amount, and the gun will be will be less responsive and steader as a result.

In my view of the world the over and under is infinitely superior as a target gun.

As for side by sides, nothing can beat these wonderful marvels of shotgun engineering for hunting upland and ducks. For ducks I like the proverbial American style single trigger, pistol grip, beavertail stock that many of the Model 21 and Fox Waterfowler models were constucted. The Ruger side by side we see to today follows this tradition, but unfortunately has a sliver type forend. Some guys argue with me and call the Ruger SxS forend a semi-beavertail forend. The CZ sxs guns that sell for quite a remarkable price for what you get are heavy in the barrels which some people don't like, and others rave about.

A also like the Prince of Wales stock for double triggered guns versus the straight stock. The Prince of Wales stock seems to handle those heavier pheasant reloads you need for colder weather and thicker feathers.

Again we go to personal choice

Last edited by greylynx; 01-01-2010 at 02:30 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:28 PM

Default Good shooting

I'm not sure whats better because I dont own a o\u yet! However i've talked to alot of guys who told me that they cant hit birds with a sxs aswell as they can with an o\u.Maybe the sxs is more challenging for bird hunting? Now I have an excuse to buy an O\U Fair\beretta to test the theory!!