Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-03-2020, 10:43 AM

Default Winter boat storage

Hey guys. I will be getting my boat ready for winter storage outside in my yard. My question is what are some things I should do? And do the transducers for my electronics need to come off? I can take the ducer off the bracket but I really dont want to undo my whole cable harness. The boat is new to me this year and it will be my first winter with it. Thanks for any advice. Looking forward to the hard water!!

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
Old 10-03-2020, 11:27 AM

Myself I hope we don't get hard water. Ya right like that's gonna happen. Storage out side. I can go into it but will be a process and lengthy explain. Search the forum for past posts or you tube vids. Each boat is different but outboards and inboards have their own specifics. If anything I usually double cover my boat. Travel cover and tarp. Try to have high points in the front a back so the snow can run off. Leg oil drain and fill and the list goes on and on. There is some good info on this forum just gotta look for it. Fuel stabil. If you can take your sonar unit out. They don't like to be frozen. Transducer I would just wrap it.
Old 10-03-2020, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elchinodiablo View Post
Hey guys. I will be getting my boat ready for winter storage outside in my yard. My question is what are some things I should do? And do the transducers for my electronics need to come off? I can take the ducer off the bracket but I really dont want to undo my whole cable harness. The boat is new to me this year and it will be my first winter with it. Thanks for any advice. Looking forward to the hard water!!

Tranducer doesn't need to come off it will be fine outside. If it's an outboard make sure to tilt it straight up and down to get all the water out of the leg if you didn't already last trip out. Empty the leg oil and replace with fresh stuff just in case you have seals passing and there is a bit of water in the oil, obviously also a good opportunity to see if you need some seal work done before next season. Inboards I have zero experience with but there is endless google material on what you should do. Honestly whether you have a heated garage or not this stuff should be done. Cheap insurance if you would happen to lose heat.

As far as the boat in the past I've tarped them in with a good quality tarp draped over a wood structure to get some slope but going to portable car port type shelters now as imho pretty good bang for the buck as even in summer you can keep the rain off without the actual boat cover and get some air flow which is super important especially on boats with a floor and compartments where a good cover actually works against you.
Old 10-04-2020, 07:41 AM

I have a 2015 Lund 1775 Crossover with a 150 Merc Outboard. I bought new in 2015. This is what I do every year and have never had any issues in the spring come start up.
1. Do an oil and filter change
2. Drain leg and refill with new oil
3. Change fuel filter
4. Ensure fuel tank is almost full. I only use Premium fuel in mine. Add a good shot of fuel stablilizer.
5. Grease any fittings on the Outboard and grease the bearings on the trailer. Check the tire pressures on the trailer to ensure they are aired up to proper pressures.
6. I remove both batteries for the electric trolling motor and put them in my shop. I leave the starting battery for the outboard in untill I get it out to my storage lot.
7. My fish finder is a press and release removeable and unit comes out and goes in my shop. I do nothing with the transducer.
8. I remove any thing that could freeze such as window cleaner, bug repellant, sunscreen etc. I leave my life jackets in and other tools. Remove anything that SMELLS LIKE FOOD!!
9. Now I spread Bounce Dryer Sheets all over the place usually 20-30 of them.
10. Now I take it out to my rented storage lot. I lift the front as high as I can get it to help snow slide off. Now I can remove the battery for the outboard. I keep all 3 batteries in my shop and once or twice during winter months will recharge all 3 of them with a slow trickle charger.
11. I put the snap cover on and then I have a mooring cover that goes over top of that.
Thats it I am done. If I have the time I will go out once or twice in the winter to blow the snow off.
I have never had any issues with mice or other animals. In spring startup my Merc starts with a second or two on the key. Take the time to do it right and You will never have any issues when You go to fire it up.
Old 10-04-2020, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briangeorge View Post
I have a 2015 Lund 1775 Crossover with a 150 Merc Outboard. I bought new in 2015. This is what I do every year and have never had any issues in the spring come start up.
3. Change fuel filter
4. Ensure fuel tank is almost full. I only use Premium fuel in mine. Add a good shot of fuel stablilizer.
5. Grease any fittings on the Outboard and grease the bearings on the trailer. Check the tire pressures on the trailer to ensure they are aired up to proper pressures.
6. I remove both batteries for the electric trolling motor and put them in my shop. I leave the starting battery for the outboard in untill I get it out to my storage lot.
7. My fish finder is a press and release removeable and unit comes out and goes in my shop. I do nothing with the transducer.
8. I remove any thing that could freeze such as window cleaner, bug repellant, sunscreen etc. I leave my life jackets in and other tools. Remove anything that SMELLS LIKE FOOD!!
10. Now I take it out to my rented storage lot. I lift the front as high as I can get it to help snow slide off. Now I can remove the battery for the outboard. I keep all 3 batteries in my shop and once or twice during winter months will recharge all 3 of them with a slow trickle charger.
11. I put the snap cover on and then I have a mooring cover that goes over top of that.
Thats it I am done. If I have the time I will go out once or twice in the winter to blow the snow off.
I have never had any issues with mice or other animals. In spring startup my Merc starts with a second or two on the key. Take the time to do it right and You will never have any issues when You go to fire it up.

This is a good list. I would add blow out/fill with RV antifreeze the livewell hoses to help ensure there are no low spots holding water. If the lines crack it’s a pain to repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 10-04-2020, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briangeorge View Post
3. Change fuel filter
also add , fog the engine with a storage fogging oil . take the spark plugs out to fog or spray into the carbs until the engine quits
Old 10-04-2020, 11:34 AM

I try to get a early to mid october run then try to get out soon as i can in may. Keeps the boat better exercised and its muscles from seizing

With the trickle charger i was thinking on wiring the batteries in parallel and having them just sit. Same ones matched of course
Old 10-04-2020, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
This is a good list. I would add blow out/fill with RV antifreeze the livewell hoses to help ensure there are no low spots holding water. If the lines crack it’s a pain to repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I havent done this but have noticed the livewell may have a leaf or something in it as it doesnt drain like it used to.
Old 10-04-2020, 11:51 AM

Wow. Thanks guys. Very good advice and knowledge. I never even thought of taken mu onboard chargers off for the winter. This is really appreciated.

Old 10-04-2020, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
Tranducer doesn't need to come off it will be fine outside. If it's an outboard make sure to tilt it straight up and down to get all the water out of the leg if you didn't already last trip out. Empty the leg oil and replace with fresh stuff just in case you have seals passing and there is a bit of water in the oil, obviously also a good opportunity to see if you need some seal work done before next season. Inboards I have zero experience with but there is endless google material on what you should do. Honestly whether you have a heated garage or not this stuff should be done. Cheap insurance if you would happen to lose heat.

As far as the boat in the past I've tarped them in with a good quality tarp draped over a wood structure to get some slope but going to portable car port type shelters now as imho pretty good bang for the buck as even in summer you can keep the rain off without the actual boat cover and get some air flow which is super important especially on boats with a floor and compartments where a good cover actually works against you.
Imade a cover support structure out of 1” pvc. Works good and is lightweight for handling.
The slope doesnt really allow for snowbuildup.

Last edited by 220 Swift; 10-04-2020 at 12:11 PM.