Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 07:53 PM

Too much. That is all.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-21-2018, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powersteve View Post
I agree with you. It's irrelevant how a coyote dies. Once it's dead it doesn't know, remember, or care if it was shot or skinned alive. Life goes on and all is forgotten.

Modern humans have become so stupid, weak, and cowardly that most of them see the coyote and think "what if that was me dying slowly and painfully?" They see the young guys and think "what if they kill me, my wife, or my children next?" Their answer of course, all they've known and been taught, is to sell their soul to the government for "safety" by trying to make everyone else as weak as they are. But in the long run this will be disastrous for them.

Back in reality, the only real safety is through strength, not weakness, and the reality of danger, cruelty and death are things that ought to be accepted, not feared or hidden from.
Respectfully, I gotta say as someone who has worked around a great deal of death in EMS, that it is the empathetic people that are strong enough to last in the profession and be effective. Do not mistake empathy for weakness and do not mistake empathy for sympathy.
Old 11-21-2018, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lund17 View Post
I have to agree with this statement.

This is going to get me banned but reading the crap most of you people posting is making my blood boil. I guarantee if you were losing $10,000 or more a year in lost cattle you would change your stance of how coyotes are killed. When a person kills 1 coyote every second day while doing chores and still loses the first 5 or 6 calves at the start of calving season year after year, it really changes your perspective.

When you grab a bale of hay out of a pile with a grapple bucket on a tractor and you got a coyote pinched in it because the dam animals have burrowed into the pile making a den. Tell me what the hell would you guys do? Let it go? NO, you use the hammer that is in the cab to finish the job. What about when you back a bale shredder into a row of bales to load bales and you scoop a coyote into the machine. Is that a good, humane way for you guys? Or do you guys think that a person should get out of the tractor every time and “shoo“ the coyotes away so as not to hurt them.

Do I agree how the kids kill that coyote: YES
Do I agree with them posting it online: NO

I have never seen so many stupid comments in one thread in my life.
That’s it... social media is the blame for parental dis-function... glad I joined a forum to see the light.
Old 11-21-2018, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Basically my view is that people should mind their own business and focus on their own lives rather than trying to drag others down. I realize that's hard for some people to understand, many people actually live for the sole purpose of trying to drag others down.
I agree. Every time I see idiots with pro life posters I point that out to them...
Old 11-21-2018, 08:22 PM

Default coyotes

Wow the people on here who pretend they are hunters is staggering! Perhaps one day you will come to understand that we are part of the food web. Yes we live and die but dying with dignity and honour is a heck of a lot different than being tortured ! No matter what a coyote does it is just trying to survive like everything else. All animals deserve respect and should be considered as giving their life for our sustenance. Coyotes are magnificent intelligent creatures to kill them just for fun or sport makes you a killer not a hunter. I've killed my share of coyotes but only for the money from the fur. I hate hunting shows where the bravado is front and centre. "yeah, smoked him" , " oh , I'm shaking I'm so excited!". it is that normalization that began the downward spiral in the attitude. From being an ethical sportsman and true hunter to quite simply a "killer". I can assure you people of my generation hunt for food not a thrill! Anyone trying to defend this action needs to be checked out for mental health issues.
Old 11-21-2018, 08:27 PM

People should mind their own business??

These circus clowns posted the vid on the internet...where a whole crapton of people are going to see it. Of course there is going to be a reaction, that is why you post stuff on the internet..so people will view it and comment. The losers ensured it was impossible for joe public to not see what they were doing.

The accepting cruelty comment, that is just bizarre. Yes things happen to animals by other animals, often brutally, and they get hit by cars, trains, splattered all over, that’s life. But we are supposed to have a working brain and act better than this, and that has nothing to do with being soft. It has to do with being normal, not an aspiring Jeffrey Dahmer.
Old 11-21-2018, 08:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolyoldbugger View Post
Wow the people on here who pretend they are hunters is staggering! Perhaps one day you will come to understand that we are part of the food web. Yes we live and die but dying with dignity and honour is a heck of a lot different than being tortured ! No matter what a coyote does it is just trying to survive like everything else. All animals deserve respect and should be considered as giving their life for our sustenance. Coyotes are magnificent intelligent creatures to kill them just for fun or sport makes you a killer not a hunter. I've killed my share of coyotes but only for the money from the fur. I hate hunting shows where the bravado is front and centre. "yeah, smoked him" , " oh , I'm shaking I'm so excited!". it is that normalization that began the downward spiral in the attitude. From being an ethical sportsman and true hunter to quite simply a "killer". I can assure you people of my generation hunt for food not a thrill! Anyone trying to defend this action needs to be checked out for mental health issues.
The amount of people on here who are "holier than thou" is staggering. Others kill animals directly for enjoyment. You kill animals for money that you spend for enjoyment. Not much difference.
Old 11-21-2018, 08:38 PM

holy smokes
Old 11-21-2018, 08:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyD111 View Post
People should mind their own business??

These circus clowns posted the vid on the internet...where a whole crapton of people are going to see it. Of course there is going to be a reaction, that is why you post stuff on the internet..so people will view it and comment. The losers ensured it was impossible for joe public to not see what they were doing.
If they were killing the coyote on your property or it was your pet coyote then it would be your business. On the internet you can choose not to watch the video, simple as that. You don't have to be a social justice warrior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyD111 View Post
The accepting cruelty comment, that is just bizarre. Yes things happen to animals by other animals, often brutally, and they get hit by cars, trains, splattered all over, that’s life. But we are supposed to have a working brain and act better than this, and that has nothing to do with being soft. It has to do with being normal, not an aspiring Jeffrey Dahmer.
The idea that humans are better than animals is delusional. Humans are animals and for us to survive we are constantly killing other animals. Only we are dumb enough that we don't realize it in most cases. Humans can't do photosynthesis so all our food comes from other living creatures that we killed. Our houses are built out of the corpses of trees. Our clothes are made out of dead creatures. And so on. We kill other animals by taking over their territory and via the pollution we generate.... And a few of us do it for sport.
Old 11-21-2018, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Basically my view is that people should mind their own business and focus on their own lives rather than trying to drag others down. I realize that's hard for some people to understand, many people actually live for the sole purpose of trying to drag others down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Well that I can agree with sir. And after re reading your first post here, there is a lot of truth to it.
A bit of truth to it? At most, just a bit. Otherwise it’s just a B.S. justification.

Last edited by KinAlberta; 11-21-2018 at 09:02 PM.
Old 11-21-2018, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KinAlberta View Post
A lit of truth to it? No there isn’t. It’s just a B.S. justification.
Yes there is some truth to what was wrote. People have become weak and pampered in this modern age. I agree with that part. No it’s not cool to slowly kill an animal when there are faster methods available.
Old 11-21-2018, 08:55 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
The amount of people on here who are "holier than thou" is staggering. Others kill animals directly for enjoyment. You kill animals for money that you spend for enjoyment. Not much difference.
There is killing for enjoyment. Then there is torture.

One is legal the other is not. Simple as that.

As for the fellows in the video, I will let the law decide how to deal with them.

I know from experience that what sounds like harmless fun can turn out to be something else entirely. I also know that anyone with a conscience will get sick to the stomach when they realize what they got themselves involve in.

I suspect at least one of those young men is feeling sick to his stomach these days. And would be even if that video did not exist.

I can't speak for anyone but myself. From my point of view I am not so perfect I can not forgive another man his mistakes.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-21-2018, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Yes there is some truth to what was wrote. People have become weak and pampered in this modern age. I agree with that part. No it’s not cool to slowly kill an animal when there are faster methods available.
Sorry, I revisited my post and cut a bit of slack to the dude that doesn’t care about anything but himself.

As for weak and pampered. That’s what every generation hopes for the next. Less death, less cancer, less suffering, fewer wars, fewer takers, more givers, more compassion, more common sense...
Old 11-21-2018, 09:21 PM

I knew a CO from Saskatoon that bragged about running down coyotes on his sled and beating them to death with a hockey stick. I think he was eventually fired for other reasons. His kid was a city cop who was also bragged about killing coyotes the same way. Interestingly, the kid was also fired for other reasons.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
I agree. Every time I see idiots with pro life posters I point that out to them...
Do you tell the "idiots" with pro choice posters the same thing?
Old 11-21-2018, 09:40 PM

I find it somewhat incredible that some people think this is okay. It's pretty clear cut in my mind.

"Since the 1970"s, research has consistently reported childhood cruelty to animals as the first warning sign of later delinquency, violence, and criminal behavior. In fact, nearly all violent crime perpetrators have a history of animal cruelty in their profiles. Albert deSalvo, the Boston Strangler found guilty of killing 13 women, shot arrows through dogs and cats he trapped as a child. Columbine shooters Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold boasted about mutilating animals for fun."

and

.."the link between animal abuse and interpersonal violence is so well-known that many U.S. communities now cross-train social-service and animal-control agencies in how to recognize signs of animal abuse as possible indicators of other abusive behaviors."

Link
Old 11-21-2018, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I find it somewhat incredible that some people think this is okay. It's pretty clear cut in my mind.

"Since the 1970"s, research has consistently reported childhood cruelty to animals as the first warning sign of later delinquency, violence, and criminal behavior. In fact, nearly all violent crime perpetrators have a history of animal cruelty in their profiles. Albert deSalvo, the Boston Strangler found guilty of killing 13 women, shot arrows through dogs and cats he trapped as a child. Columbine shooters Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold boasted about mutilating animals for fun."

and

.."the link between animal abuse and interpersonal violence is so well-known that many U.S. communities now cross-train social-service and animal-control agencies in how to recognize signs of animal abuse as possible indicators of other abusive behaviors."

Link
Absolutely agree... best be watching those kids... of course only as a possible preventive measure... just saying.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:24 PM
Banned

I don’t agree with their methods but as immature as they sounded, I don’t think that their purpose was to kill that coyote for fun. I honestly believe that they planned on salvaging it otherwise they wouldn’t have bothered keeping it. As brutal as it looks, I don’t think that they knew of any other way to dispatch it. I’m thinking that if they had a .22lr they would have shot it and there would have been no need for them to do what they did.
Old 11-22-2018, 12:49 AM

young and dumb.
A. never record (ever stupid)
B. always have a means of being ethical in the end game.
fair chase on yotes is still the same as big game make it fast as possible
Old 11-22-2018, 12:51 AM

same scenario as that dummy riding the moose a couple years ago
Old 11-22-2018, 01:11 AM

Default Torture of coyote

I also found the video very disturbing. When children go out of their way to torture and kill an animal it can create a disturbing pattern of abuse. Not to say these kids will turn into the next Jeffrey Dahmer, but investigators discovered he had a penchant for torturing and killing animals while he was growing up and then he took that to next level with people.
What psychologists have found is that there is a disturbing correlation between violence against animals as a child which later can develop into violence against people. Why is this? The child learns that he can hurt something weaker than them. This aggression when they are older can then come out in child abuse and domestic violence.
As one researcher stated down South, too many times parents say boys will be boys to excuse disturbing behaviour, instead of taking a long hard look and asking themselves is there something wrong with my kid? And if so where do I go for help.
Old 11-22-2018, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I don’t agree with their methods but as immature as they sounded, I don’t think that their purpose was to kill that coyote for fun. I honestly believe that they planned on salvaging it otherwise they wouldn’t have bothered keeping it. As brutal as it looks, I don’t think that they knew of any other way to dispatch it. I’m thinking that if they had a .22lr they would have shot it and there would have been no need for them to do what they did.
If you cant kill it humanley leave it alone.
Old 11-22-2018, 02:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by expedition View Post
If you cant kill it humanley leave it alone.
I agree but I don’t think that they had any plan whatsoever and they were just winging it. They could have thrown a jacket over his head and stood on his chest until it expired......no air, passout and die. There’d likely still be strong opinions about doing that as well though. I don’t think that those kids are psycho though, they just went about things the wrong way.
Old 11-22-2018, 03:29 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
I agree but I don’t think that they had any plan whatsoever and they were just winging it. They could have thrown a jacket over his head and stood on his chest until it expired......no air, passout and die. There’d likely still be strong opinions about doing that as well though. I don’t think that those kids are psycho though, they just went about things the wrong way.

I watched the video again and I think you may be right. No intent other then to harvest an animal and no plan at all. That's what it looks like to me.

They may wind up facing criminal charges and I wouldn't disagree with anyone who says they deserve it.
But I won't judge them. That is not my place.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-22-2018, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Possibly but to post something like this online makes them complete idiots and they deserve everything that gets thrown at them
Old 11-22-2018, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lund17 View Post
I have to agree with this statement.

This is going to get me banned but reading the crap most of you people posting is making my blood boil. I guarantee if you were losing $10,000 or more a year in lost cattle you would change your stance of how coyotes are killed. When a person kills 1 coyote every second day while doing chores and still loses the first 5 or 6 calves at the start of calving season year after year, it really changes your perspective.

When you grab a bale of hay out of a pile with a grapple bucket on a tractor and you got a coyote pinched in it because the dam animals have burrowed into the pile making a den. Tell me what the hell would you guys do? Let it go? NO, you use the hammer that is in the cab to finish the job. What about when you back a bale shredder into a row of bales to load bales and you scoop a coyote into the machine. Is that a good, humane way for you guys? Or do you guys think that a person should get out of the tractor every time and “shoo“ the coyotes away so as not to hurt them.

Do I agree how the kids kill that coyote: YES
Do I agree with them posting it online: NO

I have never seen so many stupid comments in one thread in my life.

The most unfortunate thing is that of all the venues you and PS could have posted your views of this incident in, you chose an "Outdoorsman" forum. Nice.

Last I checked humans were supposed to have evolved to be above animals but I wonder about that sometimes.
Old 11-22-2018, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Thanks for re-reading it. I realize I got a bit off topic, I was just agreeing with lund that it doesn't really matter how an animal dies.

Jeffrey Dahmer, David Berkovitz, and Ted Bundy are all giving you a polite golf clap for speaking up.
Old 11-22-2018, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Jeffrey Dahmer, David Berkovitz, and Ted Bundy are all giving you a polite golf clap for speaking up.
Couldn't agree more.

If it doesn't matter I guess all of these tough guys don't mind being tortured to death before shuffling off. I am sure when the pliers, blowtorch, and drill come out they would be changing their tune.
Old 11-22-2018, 08:10 AM

Does anyone know where to find the full unedited copy? Id like to base my opinion on fact rather than the media's point of view.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 11-22-2018, 08:34 AM

Default Coyote

Quote:
Who said i killed them for money to spend on enjoyment? At the time i needed that money for survival and i respected the animals i killed for fur. It was done quickly and humanely. Expressing what good ethics and moral responsibility look like does not make me holier than thou it makes you unable to face the truth!
Closed Thread