Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-15-2015, 08:00 AM
Banned

Default What Is The Speed Of Your Bow?

After talking to a very knowledgeable and experienced bow hunting AO member recently, I have toying with the idea of buying a new bow even though I love my 2007 Darton Vapor that fit's me like a glove.

I am aware of the latest technologies and the 300+ FPS speeds that seem to be the norm these days, my Darton is shooting at 264 FPS.

Was wondering what other bow hunters thoughts about speed are and what their bows speed is? I guess what I am wondering is:

Is it worth buying a new bow only to gain 60 FPS, when the one you own fits you like a glove, works perfectly and basically has killed everything you shot at?

I should add that I am not a 3D shooter, or any type of competition shooter, I am a bow hunter that hunts deer, moose and elk and practice outside with a Yellow Jacket Target up to 80 yards.

Last edited by edmhunter; 03-15-2015 at 08:14 AM.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:10 AM

An xtra 60 fps is huge. That's almost 25% faster. Think of it like a rifle, an xtra 25% for a rifle shooting 3200 fps is now over 4000! A lot less compensation for trajectory in the bow world.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:15 AM

Depending on your style of arrow and a few other things, you could probably squeeze some more speed out of your current bow.

Most of my target/3d bow are around 309-318, my hunting bows are around 295-305. Difference being competition arrows are 315-350gr hunting arrows are 395-400gr.

Once you get around the 300fps mark, tuning fixed blade broadheads can be a pain. I use mechanicals due to the speed/momentum/KE the bows I shoot have. There is no issues deploying a mechanical and getting penetration. Also I hunt some open country and a small profile Mechanical broadhead Bucks the winds better.

What speed gets you "in general" is more forgiving on shot placement if your yardage estimation is off, more penetration due to "typically" higher momentum. Draw backs to speed is fast bows usually have shorter brace height, speed can exaggerate form flaws, fixed blade broadhead tuning can be more difficult.

My thoughts on it.

LC
Old 03-15-2015, 08:18 AM

A fast miss is still a miss
Old 03-15-2015, 08:18 AM

The old saying " if it aint broke don't fix it" comes to play with how your describing your bow. 60 FPS is a large increase if you can get that out of a new setup but doesn't mean anything if it doesn't feel right in your hands.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
An xtra 60 fps is huge. That's almost 25% faster. Think of it like a rifle, an xtra 25% for a rifle shooting 3200 fps is now over 4000! A lot less compensation for trajectory in the bow world.
Never thought about it that way! In terms of trajectory, I shoot with a one pin adjustable Ascent Black Gold Sight, which basically takes all of the guess work out of trajectories, since it is calibrated and have a yardage marker on the sight.

Should also mention that I have been hunting with Slick Tricks, which I am going to change to RazorTricks 125 grains with Goldtip shafts with 2" vanes.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmhunter View Post
Never thought about it that way! In terms of trajectory, I shoot with a one pin adjustable Ascent Black Gold Sight, which basically takes all of the guess work out of trajectories, since it is calibrated and have a yardage marker on the sight.
You still have to know your range...your sight won't tell you how far away your target is. If you change your setup at all you will still have to change your sight tape to reflect the changes.

LC
Old 03-15-2015, 08:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
You still have to know your range...your sight won't tell you how far away your target is. If you change your setup at all you will still have to change your sight tape to reflect the changes.

LC
I use a range finder for that, in fact I do not hunt without one because most of my hunting is spot and stock and calling from the ground! Sure, its easy enough to change the tape once you make any modifications.

Should also mention that my bow is cranked down to the max, so there is no more room for speed additions.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:32 AM

Quote:
I use a range finder for that, in fact I do not hunt without one because most of my hunting is spot and stock and calling from the ground! Sure, its easy enough to change the tape once you make any modifications.

Should also mention that my bow is cranked down to the max, so there is no more room for speed additions.
Different arrows, setup and tuning can gain speed to your bow. Most of my huting is from the ground as well. I carry a range finder as well but I don't rely on it when it comes to estimating range. Sometimes you are unable to collect a range in time, and electronics do fail.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 03-15-2015 at 08:39 AM.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:44 AM

I shoot a 685 grain cedar arrow at 185 fps........zips rights through elk, moose, deer if I do my job..
Old 03-15-2015, 08:49 AM

I have an APA mamba 34. It was advertised as 300+ Fps. I like the bow, but have nothing to compare it with.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb-MBR View Post
I shoot a 685 grain cedar arrow at 185 fps........zips rights through elk, moose, deer if I do my job..
That's interesting! I have seen my arrows zip through critters as well, if I did my job correctly haha. I am now leaning towards keeping the old gal! Like Schooch stated, " if it aint broke don't fix it".

L-C, I was meaning to congratulate you one your tournament accomplishments, good job sir!

I ordered a World's Best String last week, any thoughts on them?
Old 03-15-2015, 09:01 AM
Banned

Default Upgrading your bow

As stated, 60fps is a huge increase, compensating for distance is only part of the benefit, the extra speed means extra energy, kinetic energy. Not only are you gaining 25% more speed, your kinetic energy increases 25% which translates into a gain in penetration. If you're taking a quartering shot, especially a front quartering shot, the more power the better.

The 60fps you'll gain is one thing, but there are other gains from upgrading as well. Physical weight of most new bows is less than that of older bows which is nice if your a spot and stalk type hunter.

Parallel limb design! With the newer bow you will get parallel limbs, probably the biggest change in bow design in recent history. There are numerous benefits to parallel limb design, way less vibration and a quieter shot are a couple of the more apparent benefits. With parallel limb design you get a longer riser which allows for shorter limbs and gives you a shorter ata bow with the feel of stability of a way longer ata bow that does not have a parallel limb design.

Upgrading your bow won't just up your speed, it may up your hunt. Faster, lighter, shorter, more KE, more quiet, more stable, not to mention the bad azz looks of a parallel limb design bow, it all adds up to a more lethal weapon, giving you extended power and accuracy, at least when you look at it on paper.

And about rangefinders, I don't care what brand you have, I've had Bushnell, Nikon, Swarovski, and Lieca, none of them work in the fog, or with a dead battery! They are a great tool to have, but can't be 100% relied on. I called a moose in for a friend and watched him sail an arrow off into the yonder because his rangefinder told him to shoot 60 on a 40yd shot.

Last edited by Kurt505; 03-15-2015 at 09:12 AM.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:32 AM

Do you hunt with a 70# bow, 30" draw wand 350 gr arrows? If you do, good for you, but most do not fit into that category. The "advertisments" are nothing but eye candy, comparing their bows to the the ATA benchmark of 70/30/350 in order to attract new converts. Despite what the "advertisements" are saying, you won't be hunting with that setup (most likely).

I hunt with a 60# bow, 29" draw and 405 gr arrows...................gets me 292 fps. It would be nice to be 6'6" tall and have a 32 inch draw

New bow itus hits harder in the spring than any other time of year.......just like new truck itus

Is the same arrow that you use in your Darton going to shoot 60 fps faster in another bow of the same draw weight/draw length/same stuff on the string? I would get actual chrono proof on that one.
Old 03-15-2015, 10:18 AM
Banned

I am currently shooting Beman ICS Como Hunter VIBRAKE 340 110.0 gpi, which as far as I am concerned are JUNK With 100 Gr. SlickTricks. My draw length is 30 1/2 inches.

As mentioned I am going to Goldtip Shafts and will be shooting 125 Gr. RazorTricks. My bow says 60-70# Range, but I have it set at 74 PSI.

What model of Goldtip shaft would you guys reccomend? Thanks!
Old 03-15-2015, 10:28 AM

Default Set up

I am shooting 70lb 32.5" draw 465 grain arrow setup. Beman bow hunter w 3 2" blazer vanes. Older Bowtech 82nd airborne w aftermarket cams. It's an older bow but launching 320fps. And I am totally happy w older bow. But being 6'5 helps some. If you are accurate with yours just try a new speed bow chances are you will jump back to what you are good with.
Old 03-15-2015, 11:35 AM

For me it was ask me in a few months
Old 03-15-2015, 12:47 PM

My apa is fast and my recurve is slow don't know the fps but does not matter to me.

More and more I am caring less about speed because if I hit the mark fast or slow I get the same end result
Old 03-15-2015, 12:52 PM

That's me, 70#, 32 inch draw and 350gr arrows. The fastest it gets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehntr View Post
Do you hunt with a 70# bow, 30" draw wand 350 gr arrows? If you do, good for you, but most do not fit into that category. The "advertisments" are nothing but eye candy, comparing their bows to the the ATA benchmark of 70/30/350 in order to attract new converts. Despite what the "advertisements" are saying, you won't be hunting with that setup (most likely).

I hunt with a 60# bow, 29" draw and 405 gr arrows...................gets me 292 fps. It would be nice to be 6'6" tall and have a 32 inch draw

New bow itus hits harder in the spring than any other time of year.......just like new truck itus

Is the same arrow that you use in your Darton going to shoot 60 fps faster in another bow of the same draw weight/draw length/same stuff on the string? I would get actual chrono proof on that one.
Old 03-15-2015, 01:27 PM

Default Arrows speed

I shoot 650 grain arrows at a blistering 168 fps! They seen to work on all kinds of critters.
Old 03-15-2015, 02:52 PM

Default Arrow Speed....

I'm shooting a Bowtech Assassin at 60#. Brent and I did the chrony thing and with my Gold Tip XT Hunters and 100gr Slick Trick Broadheads, I'm shooting a blistering 263 feet per second..... Nothing like the bows today, but enough to punch a hole into something.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttankster View Post
I'm shooting a Bowtech Assassin at 60#. Brent and I did the chrony thing and with my Gold Tip XT Hunters and 100gr Slick Trick Broadheads, I'm shooting a blistering 263 feet per second..... Nothing like the bows today, but enough to punch a hole into something.
You have short arms too....................no bow will correct that
Old 03-15-2015, 04:32 PM

I'm shooting a 2014 carbon spyder 30 at 70lbs with a 28.5 inch draw. Using maxima reds 350's and 100 gr tips I was able to get 304 Fps on the chronograph for a real world speed. Was very happy with that speed from that heavy an arrow.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:27 PM

Thumbs up Arrow Speed

Arrow speed is important. After all, it's the number that's squared in the equation for KE. Also, if you are out in your yardage, the faster arrow tends to forgive range miscalculations easier.The newer bows are nice because they shoot fast with less pounds.
My current bow is a Carbon Element @ 65lbs, I am shooting a 28" X weave 450gr arrow at 276 fps.
Before my screw in weight inserts I was shooting a 400gr arrow, but my FOC was below 10%...now , with 450 grs (100gr Jak Hammers) I am very close to 12%... a little better for hunting applications.
Old 03-15-2015, 11:46 PM

What is your bows ibo?
Even with a 30.5" draw I would be suprised if you get much over 300fps with a hunting setup unless you go with an ultra fast bow in the 360+ibo range.
my hunting setup sits at 295 with one bow about 310 with a 74lb bow and on my new bow I am expecting 310@ 70 lbs this is with a rather light hunting arrow.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
As stated, 60fps is a huge increase, compensating for distance is only part of the benefit, the extra speed means extra energy, kinetic energy. Not only are you gaining 25% more speed, your kinetic energy increases 25% which translates into a gain in penetration. If you're taking a quartering shot, especially a front quartering shot, the more power the better.

The 60fps you'll gain is one thing, but there are other gains from upgrading as well. Physical weight of most new bows is less than that of older bows which is nice if your a spot and stalk type hunter.

Parallel limb design! With the newer bow you will get parallel limbs, probably the biggest change in bow design in recent history. There are numerous benefits to parallel limb design, way less vibration and a quieter shot are a couple of the more apparent benefits. With parallel limb design you get a longer riser which allows for shorter limbs and gives you a shorter ata bow with the feel of stability of a way longer ata bow that does not have a parallel limb design.

Upgrading your bow won't just up your speed, it may up your hunt. Faster, lighter, shorter, more KE, more quiet, more stable, not to mention the bad azz looks of a parallel limb design bow, it all adds up to a more lethal weapon, giving you extended power and accuracy, at least when you look at it on paper.

And about range finders, I don't care what brand you have, I've had Bushnell, Nikon, Swarovski, and Lieca, none of them work in the fog, or with a dead battery! They are a great tool to have, but can't be 100% relied on. I called a moose in for a friend and watched him sail an arrow off into the yonder because his rangefinder told him to shoot 60 on a 40yd shot.
Some pretty compelling arguments there for sure Kurt!

Most of my shots have been taken at under 40 yards. With that said, I have been wondering if the expense of over $1000.00 to gain 60 FPS, is truly necessary?

It's always nice to have a newer toy in my arsenal, but $1,000.00+ can be used to-wards more hunts. I am sure that Howard Hill or Fred Bear never shot a compound that was as fast as my Darton, and they killed more animals with a bow then I will ever come close to even imagining.

With all of this great input and consideration on my part, I have decided to keep hunting with my Darton for now.

As for range finders, I have owned several, including a top of the line 1000 yard Lieca. I am pretty good at judging ranges without one, but it's always nice to verify while ground hunting. When in a calling situation, I prefer to range trees, etc so when the animal arrives I will be more focused on shooting then ranging.

Called in a nice bull moose last season to within 30 yards broadside for a friend, he had one of those new bow mounted range finders mounted on his bow. He was playing with it and because he was and not instinctively shooting, he took too long and the moose bolted. I would never own one of them, ever!

Thank you all for your thoughts and advice, which is greatly appreciated!
Old 03-16-2015, 07:45 AM

I always say..." more speed...Miss em a lot closer"

Im sure we could crank at less another 20 ft per with present bow...

I know the old girl fits like a glove...
but with an open mind just try a new breed...lol

she will be much faster and more KE at even lower poundage...

That huge differnce in speed will help in shooting when judging distance..miss judging a yard or two would make a lot of differance with faster speed...

One asset of the new bows most will be bow weight...most will almost be half the weight of the old school bows...
Chasing elk 10 miles in the morning thats huge...

Most new bows are much more smoother on the draw with little handshock then the older bows had...

Just shoot a couple with an open mind...you may be pleasantly surprised.

Neil
Old 03-16-2015, 10:03 AM
Banned

Hi Neil,

I checked the specs on my Vapor, it says: Weight is 3.8 lbs. and the Eff. Let off is 304 FPS. That I would like to see!!!

I am very happy with the weight of it. I can't imaging the new bows being that much lighter? I got rid of my Hoyt Super Slam Supreme, specifically because it was a heavy tank and a drag to carry while chasing elk!

When you have a few minutes let's chat. Thanks!
Old 03-16-2015, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Hi Neil,

I checked the specs on my Vapor, it says: Weight is 3.8 lbs. and the Eff. Let off is 304 FPS. That I would like to see!!!

I am very happy with the weight of it. I can't imaging the new bows being that much lighter? I got rid of my Hoyt Super Slam Supreme, specifically because it was a heavy tank and a drag to carry while chasing elk!

When you have a few minutes let's chat. Thanks!
IBO would be 304, eff let off is a percentage value.

LC
Old 03-16-2015, 10:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
IBO would be 304, eff let off is a percentage value.

LC
the specs also says Eff. Let Off 80%
Then below is says Eff. Let off 304 FPS

I assumed that the latter meant it could shoot at 304 FPS.?? Thanks L-C!