Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 06-15-2018, 03:45 PM
Banned

Default Most productive coyote set

Up to now my most productive coyote foothold set has been the dirt hole set, Perhaps I am lucky ? I captured eight one season in the same set , using the same trap a Sterling 600. Another site produced four , . Prior to doing any foot hold trapping I was under the impression that everything had to be changed when resetting a trap , but obviously that may not be the case / Has anyone been lucky with this and has anyone tried the flat set , urine post set etc . ?
Oh by the way how many of you use bare hands when setting ?
Old 06-15-2018, 03:57 PM

I've had success with the flat set. Usually I'll do 2 dirt hole sets about 15 -20 yards apart using different lures.
And if it's a super good travel area I'll throw a flat set or pee post nearby. I'll only change trap if there's blood on it or if it gets dug up then I'll move out of catch circle with new stuff. All the smells mixed around is an attractant as well.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:05 PM

One set I have caught wolves and coyotes in is I cut up a bunch of my beaver tails and let it sit all summer and collect the oil. I have dug up the ground and mixed in the oil and buried a trap in the area that I dug up with the oil. It seems the coyotes just continue all winter digging it all up looking for something.
Another real good one is muskrat mounds more specifically frozen over push ups. The coyotes come from all over to look at these all over the lakes and ponds. Easy to hide traps but only issue is anchor them. I have had big trees place by them early in the winter as drags and let them sit to let things calm down then set the trap in the muskrat mound and anchored to the tree. I have also used Ice anchors as well but they cost a few bucks. I find the Muskrat mounds work best as they are visually attracted from a long ways off.

While your at it at the ponds and lakes with the Mounds take some rams as there are always some sweet spots for some snares between catails where the coyotes access the lakes. Works awesome especially with a frozen beaver in the ice they can pick away at over a few weeks. The birds alone will bring the coyotes running
Old 06-15-2018, 07:23 PM
Banned

Nube , that set you talk about sounds a lot like the one old man from Gene Walters told me about , he said he would get carp or rough fish and mix with a lb of cheese let that peculate all summer and then set under a spruce tree where it would not get snowed in for wolves . Unfortunately I am no longer near wolves so never got to try it out , although I have no doubt it would work for coyotes .
One set I do use and quite successful at is , i place a beaver carcass in a plastic 5 gal [pail and let that ferment then find a real thick shrubbery covered ridge and open the vent , then let them find it and set a few snares , works all winter and birds cant abuse it .
Old 06-15-2018, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Nube , that set you talk about sounds a lot like the one old man from Gene Walters told me about , he said he would get carp or rough fish and mix with a lb of cheese let that peculate all summer and then set under a spruce tree where it would not get snowed in for wolves . Unfortunately I am no longer near wolves so never got to try it out , although I have no doubt it would work for coyotes .
One set I do use and quite successful at is , i place a beaver carcass in a plastic 5 gal [pail and let that ferment then find a real thick shrubbery covered ridge and open the vent , then let them find it and set a few snares , works all winter and birds cant abuse it .
First year I tried for wolves I caught 12 and I mainly used beavers in a bucket all summer and coyote carcasses. I would feed the birds with the carcasses and when the wolves came in with the beaver stench they would do laps around till I would hang the whole family
Old 06-16-2018, 06:28 PM

I'm going to roll this year with dirt hole sets made with wax dirt in the bed and cover using a piece of pre cut window screen as the pan cover

Dirt hole made with a 2 inch dirt auger on a cordless drill

Should be able to make a set in just a few minutes and then on to the next one
Old 06-16-2018, 10:47 PM
Banned

Yes I am contemplating doing the same BUT with a smaller auger , I find the 2 inch to be a bit much for my Dewalt , I would like to have a hammer drill , perhaps that would help some ? Now I use a one inch . Problem with us nobodies here in the upper 48 Is we have hard ground in a hurry , so any dirt holing has to be done early ! After the ground freezes it becomes a real task to set more than a few in a day . So my plan will be dirt holes early and then go to snaring . There is nothing like seeing the bounce from a distance when you get lucky at a dirt hole!
I used ant hill dirt that i had dried and kept in a five gallon pail . I have not tried calcium chloride yet .
Old 06-17-2018, 08:48 AM

I'm going to drill holes all over the place on the line before the ground freezes so once it freezes they will already be good to go

I have a good Makita hammer drill for the auger and it works good

Once it's frozen it's pretty tough to drill holes with a auger bit on a cordless drill
Old 06-17-2018, 08:49 AM

Going to treat 5 gallons of dry dirt with "flake wax" to water proof and freeze proof it
Old 06-18-2018, 09:43 PM
AO Sponsor

I'm a dirt hole guy. I can't see beating that with any dirt trap set.

However, my American wolf trapper friend conjured up a new set that he is having incredible luck with. I will have to try a few of his sets, just didn't get to it with the foot traps this year. Top secret set tho, of course. He doesn't care to be plagiarized! Lotsa scavengers out there these days! Bottomfeeders???

Parfletch that was you who let me buy his MJ600s last year right? Think so... thanx!

It is my belief that 4x #3 springs are too much , new out of the box for coyote, in fact, while testing traps for the FIC, I don't believe any trap with 4x #3 springs came close to passing.

However, new traps don't stay new for all that long and once the springs are broke/wore in, they all seem fine.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:58 PM
Banned

Marty Good to hear you got your traps! I could not recall who it was . I have an acquaintance in Montana that does wolf trapping year round for wolves and swears by one set he uses , he told me about it but not having any wolves in my area I long forgot .
So are you saying four coil was considered too much power ? I am not certain what you mean there ?
Old 06-18-2018, 10:08 PM
AO Sponsor

It "wasn't considered too much power" , from necropsies of traps tested out of the box without break in, traps that had 4- #3 coils on them caused too much foot damage, both visible as well as damage not visible on the surface, hence the need to necropsy the animals.

Do note the fine print. I did not generalize, all four coil traps but traps that were four coiled with 4 - #3 coilsprings. Traps that were fourcoiled with a lighter offside spring fared very well.

Sterlings... Not really a fair representation tho, like I said, new traps out of the box don't stay new for very long and the springs weaken up and end up being toned down really nice. Guys that have used their Sterlings long term love them deeply! Many, many, many guys!

They are spendy, but so are CDN Modified Bridgers. Hopefully when all is said and done and the standards are complete,we will be a ble to use many more traps than the few that were tested. I believe that is what is supposed to happen, a sharing of CDN and USA data, and passing of additional traps. We better get after some of these folks to ensure they dont wait too long to finish the job!
Old 06-19-2018, 08:03 AM
Banned

Marty I cant see Glen spending the cash to certify his traps in Canada , because he does not have enough of a sale on this side , he has all he can handle on his side . Like you said I like those traps a lot !
It baffles me all to heck that it is so expensive to get anything certified or patented in this country ! Money is all that they care about .
Patenting cost is absolutely ridiculous !
Old 06-19-2018, 08:30 AM
AO Sponsor

Yup, and it only gives you the ability to attempt to sue, after the patent people come in and charge you $1000 hr for assessment. And then after all that, you might not win!
Old 06-19-2018, 09:06 AM

Default trap patent

A well written patent with good claims, prepared by honest patent lawyer without 2'" carpet and 8 ft black walnut desk is highly recommended to protect your special trap or what you have invented.
However the sales of product must be high as may need to challenge some company infringing on your patent in future.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:00 PM
Banned

I would assume if sales are not high they would leave a fellow alone? No money to be made .
Old 06-19-2018, 07:11 PM

Glen no longer makes the traps. His son has taken over production. Has a few problems with suppliers of certain parts of the traps. Makes them when he can get all the parts. Long waiting lists to get them and at over $300 plus American a dozen they are not cheap. Hard to find used ones but it's possible. I just picked up another dozen in Montana a couple weeks ago. I really like the 600 and they are a quality made trap. They bed easy and make deep catches. I get a short season with them then move to Rams.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:19 PM
Banned

Saskabone , You just hit the nail on the head ! Short season then on to Rams , THAT is why foothold traps don,t get so high a mark up here , our season turns to stone in no time flat ! That is hard to bed traps after that !Out there way they have a longer season before the crap hits the fan .Heck we are eating fresh corn from down there and ours is barely sprouting !
Did you not tell me you were using Wolf rams a while back ?
Old 06-20-2018, 09:51 AM
AO Sponsor

I know a couple high volume coyote trappers that do not snare whatsoever, who leave almost everybody in the dust numbers-wise.

However, they are not subject to the over-restrictive 24 hour check law that was force on us here in Alberta.

We need the 72 hour check law back like many relevant jurisdictions, with exceptions in heavily populated areas of the province. We also need laws with teeth restricting free roaming pets.

Back to the topic at hand, the one guy loves his Sterlings, other guy loves his Bridger #3s.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:00 PM
Banned

I assume that is south of us Marty?
Its too bad that the general population has to have a say in something they don,t understand and basically really NEVER think of EXCEPT when they read the paper and there has been a wreck!
The majority of people don,t even know trapping exists ! BUT look out when its brought to the light! Everyone is a dang expert ! AND politicians are scrambling to keep their seats !
The public drive their vehicles at atrocious speeds day and night through our National parks and barely give a thought that they could be part of the killing game ! The thought of slowing down is not a thought , Its a hindrance !
Old 06-20-2018, 04:20 PM

Don't have any wolf Rams. When I buy more Rams I will probably buy the wolf ram.

Marty I believe your talking about a fellow in southern Saskatchewan that just uses sterlings all season. Yeah he hammers the coyote pretty good.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:15 AM
AO Sponsor

Canadians, in Canada, with foot traps.