Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-13-2011, 03:30 PM

Default Nanaimo??

Hey folks,

In Nanaimo for the week. Just looking for some pointers on local spots. Brought the fly rod along. After trout preferably but would consider salmon or bass. Just looking to wet a line and maybe get a few.

Thanks in advance.

If I ever draw my sword on you, may the good lord strike me dead.

Luck is just an excuse for poor fishing

B.O.G warriors for life!!! Boots On the Ground!!
Old 09-13-2011, 04:07 PM

Hey Fisherpotch go to the the Brake wall they have there I dont know what that area is called but Ive sat there and fished for hours , also in the marinas but make sure you have your license as the marine patrol checks for it .Caught lots of pinks just off shore .
Old 09-13-2011, 04:41 PM

go for searun cutthroat trout, use something that looks like a mickyfin or a mickyfin, they are all over the coast, you can also use bobber and worm, that they love if you are a baitfisher
Old 09-13-2011, 04:57 PM

Thanks fellas. Yeah searun cutties would b awesome. I've only got my fresh water licence so far. Gonna stop in at gone fishin and get the bc backroads guide for the island. I'll likely get the salt licence as well. Hey John is the Brake wall right in town?

Umm what's a mikyfin? Are u related to Darren From the willington area by chance?

Old 09-13-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FisherPotch View Post
Thanks fellas. Yeah searun cutties would b awesome. I've only got my fresh water licence so far. Gonna stop in at gone fishin and get the bc backroads guide for the island. I'll likely get the salt licence as well. Hey John is the Brake wall right in town?

Umm what's a mikyfin? Are u related to Darren From the willington area by chance?
micky fins are a yellow streamer with a red stripe in the middle to imatate a dace or brown trout.(anything that swims).
its an awesome pattern because when fish revel themselves they ahve a gold/silver flash and this is what the micky fin is doing so its a reaction fly.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:00 PM

Default haven't lived there for a few years but...

probably too early for searun cutthroat besides, victoria channel and along the waterfront is the best place for them. Most likely too far to travel. The breakwater (just north of Brechin Boat Ramp) is okay for shore fishing but can be busy with people and slow fishing. Underneath Cedar bridge (south Nanaimo) might be okay for salmon (too early). Zuyderzee campground (quennel lake) would be a place to try for bass and trout. There are some very large smallmouth bass there. Diver's Lake Park (right of the tennis courts on the wharf) isn't bad for trout (try bottom fishing or spinning with a red devil spoon).

If you want to get out of the city, try the mouth of First Lake on Nanaimo Lakes Road for trout. You can park and walk down to the river on the left before the gates (used to be pay to enter). If you try this route, have your camera as we used to see Roosevelt Elk (larger than the Rocky Mountain Elk) and bear down this way.

If you want pink salmon then try the beaches around Qualicum as the weather has been too dry for the fish to head upriver and they are schooled up near the mouth of the river around the beaches.

Hope this helps you a bit. BTW, watch out for cougar... there has been 240 complaints on the island in the last 6 months. And they are harassing kids and killing pets right in the cities.

PM me if you need any more info and best of luck. (my bro and I lived there for nearly 30 years and our parents still live there).
Old 09-13-2011, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by altahunter View Post
probably too early for searun cutthroat besides, victoria channel and along the waterfront is the best place for them. Most likely too far to travel. The breakwater (just north of Brechin Boat Ramp) is okay for shore fishing but can be busy with people and slow fishing. Underneath Cedar bridge (south Nanaimo) might be okay for salmon (too early). Zuyderzee campground (quennel lake) would be a place to try for bass and trout. There are some very large smallmouth bass there. Diver's Lake Park (right of the tennis courts on the wharf) isn't bad for trout (try bottom fishing or spinning with a red devil spoon).

If you want to get out of the city, try the mouth of First Lake on Nanaimo Lakes Road for trout. You can park and walk down to the river on the left before the gates (used to be pay to enter). If you try this route, have your camera as we used to see Roosevelt Elk (larger than the Rocky Mountain Elk) and bear down this way.

If you want pink salmon then try the beaches around Qualicum as the weather has been too dry for the fish to head upriver and they are schooled up near the mouth of the river around the beaches.

Hope this helps you a bit. BTW, watch out for cougar... there has been 240 complaints on the island in the last 6 months. And they are harassing kids and killing pets right in the cities.

PM me if you need any more info and best of luck. (my bro and I lived there for nearly 30 years and our parents still live there).
For searun cutthroat we fished the Gorge waterfront in Victoria, along the galloping goose trail, huge cuts there can get up to 10 pounds easy, and some salmon are heading through there now making there way up to colquitz creek, so the cuts are sure to follow them.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:52 PM

Very informative. Thanks so much. Im here for a work function and the suns down by 8 so Victoria is unlikely but the beach and mouths sound good. I've seen two bear in two days so far. I heard the same about the cougars. I'm intrigued by the rosevelt elk might have to head that way.

Has anyone fished the oyster? I've been hearing good things and might head that way Friday to fish the eve and morning. Flying out Saturday.

Haven't met with any success as of yet I've barely fished because I've been studying so much and getting familiar with the complex regs too much. Time to just wet a line.

I'll be sure to let you all know how it goes. Greatly appreciate all the help