Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-11-2022, 08:04 PM

Time for another up date

Been a little preoccupied with life and a little bow hunting. Another cam kicked the bucket my one and only wild game images cam. Been a rough year for cams

I did mange to set 3 stands this set of two locations we used last year and one I plan to bow hunt dreaming an elk stumbles my way. I also moved a cam to the location I set for the wife (ridge stand from last year)

I will take pics of stand locations and explain the set up next time I visit them

Now my last cam check was only a partial and not too amazing but here are the best two

This buck has been great at not giving any decent pics of his rack till now. An nice 9pt frame with a kicker. This location is showing promise with the decent tall 10pt that also is in this area often

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-11-2022, 08:09 PM

Had to move a pic from my cell cam app to post the second

This 10pt has been by lots like 4 times today alone. Even after I set my stand and trimmed lanes he still kept coming lol

I set this spot mostly for elk and will likely pass on him though. But you never know how I feel about him when he is in bow range. I do know others in my hunting partner that plan to visit in November would be very happy with him though

Old 09-12-2022, 12:12 PM

Hey Smoky what's your method of getting the bucks out of the bush? I'm newer to bush buck hunting and I'm contemplating how I would like to take one out of the bush. If I get one of the nicer bucks I have on camera I would like to cape it for a shoulder mount, which complicates getting him outta the bush, as I usually do the gutless method.
Old 09-12-2022, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnDawg View Post
Hey Smoky what's your method of getting the bucks out of the bush? I'm newer to bush buck hunting and I'm contemplating how I would like to take one out of the bush. If I get one of the nicer bucks I have on camera I would like to cape it for a shoulder mount, which complicates getting him outta the bush, as I usually do the gutless method.
It all depends on how far back I am, do I have extra help near by, and time of day

If I am solo anything within a km often I just act like a goon and drag it out using my tree stand harness at times. If that seems too much I half(actually separate it just before the hips) it and do two trip. I may quarter it if I feel I need to. Farther of terrain is too much I debone it’s and pack it out

Calling a buddy to help or even the wife to carry my gear is always my first option. My one buddy does use a sled and really I should buy one and stop being cheap lol

I have caped lots of animals( I worked for a taxidermist on the side in the past) so I have no issue capeing in the field. Often If I choose to do this I just cape out the neck/shoulders and deal with the face at home. Doing all in the field is an option but late season cold hands are an issue

I have never bothered to research the true “gut less method” but have been deboning out game the way I was taught as a kid. If I am going to do this and want the cape I just cape it first

Honestly I just go with what feels right at the time and get it done. Having experienced a lot of crappy pack outs and being in respectable shape I don’t overthink it just get it done.

If the gutless method is your normal way go with it just cape it first. If it’s a fear of capeing in the field just do the neck/shoulders in the field and the rest at home

I am of the mindset of just get it done however you feel is right at the time.
Old 09-20-2022, 07:39 AM

Been busy helping my son get his first vehicle all sorted out but did get out a little yesterday

Another stand set and once again I forgot my phone in the truck well setting is up. I may need to break out the crayons to show my stand set ups this year

Still have 2 cams to check but here is a sample of what was on them this time

Theses are the two bucks I will attempt to target with the new stand. I have had theses two on cam often since I set my cams this year. They have always shown up on different days. Both bucks have a different preferred direction of travel. So I am crossing my fingers both stick around. Lots of old rubs in the area showing past rut activity. This area has a communal scrape in the thicker stuff about 150-200yards away from where I set the cam. Looks very promising in this spot

This is a 10pt I tried for last year but in a new location. The buck stayed nocturnal in the location I found him last year and is showing the same habits in this new location too. Really nice buck but I have never gotten a day time pic of him even during the rut last year. I have not had any other bucks of interest in this pocket. Do to his history and showing the same traits I may not attempt to target him. Great buck but in the present locations I have found him combined with his history I see low odds of success. I hope I can locate where he moves in daylight

This buck might be one that is just untouchable. His daylight movement might be restricted to areas that are just too thick

On another note unfortunately for my buddy the giant that showed up on his cam never returned so it might have just been a one off encounter

The drop tine buck is in a location the cam crapped out. I did not realize for a few checks too. I did add a new cam but just does and small bucks this check

Old 09-20-2022, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
It all depends on how far back I am, do I have extra help near by, and time of day

If I am solo anything within a km often I just act like a goon and drag it out using my tree stand harness at times. If that seems too much I half(actually separate it just before the hips) it and do two trip. I may quarter it if I feel I need to. Farther of terrain is too much I debone it’s and pack it out

Calling a buddy to help or even the wife to carry my gear is always my first option. My one buddy does use a sled and really I should buy one and stop being cheap lol

I have caped lots of animals( I worked for a taxidermist on the side in the past) so I have no issue capeing in the field. Often If I choose to do this I just cape out the neck/shoulders and deal with the face at home. Doing all in the field is an option but late season cold hands are an issue

I have never bothered to research the true “gut less method” but have been deboning out game the way I was taught as a kid. If I am going to do this and want the cape I just cape it first

Honestly I just go with what feels right at the time and get it done. Having experienced a lot of crappy pack outs and being in respectable shape I don’t overthink it just get it done.

If the gutless method is your normal way go with it just cape it first. If it’s a fear of capeing in the field just do the neck/shoulders in the field and the rest at home

I am of the mindset of just get it done however you feel is right at the time.
This is pretty much what I was going to with, thanks smoky. Great looking bucks you have, good luck this season. Maybe you will find that big boy during the rut when he can’t help himself but come out.
Old 09-20-2022, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnDawg View Post
This is pretty much what I was going to with, thanks smoky. Great looking bucks you have, good luck this season. Maybe you will find that big boy during the rut when he can’t help himself but come out.
Thanks and good luck to you as well

Unfortunately some bucks never slip even during the rut and with last year’s history with this buck I don’t think he is very driven during the rut. He shows behavior traits that make me think self preservation is his priority. But that doesn’t mean I won’t keep trying to figure out if he has a weak spot even if it’s not this year

The good news is he is not the only big boy in the forest

I have just started putting a few cams back into known locations and I know a few spots that the good bucks don’t start showing up till late October.
Old 09-20-2022, 05:48 PM

Another fantastic thread so far Smoky - I think I speak for everyone who pokes their head in here, that we all absolutely love your posts and pictures.

I've learned a lot and continue to learn more every time I read something from you.

I may never always reply to things, but always come into the hunting section for your stuff - so thanks for taking the time!

J
Old 09-20-2022, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muirsy View Post
Another fantastic thread so far Smoky - I think I speak for everyone who pokes their head in here, that we all absolutely love your posts and pictures.

I've learned a lot and continue to learn more every time I read something from you.

I may never always reply to things, but always come into the hunting section for your stuff - so thanks for taking the time!

J
Thanks honestly I have been slacking a little this year because life keeping me busier then I would like. As I said at the start if you have any questions feel free to ask I will answer honestly. Unless you ask for gps coordinates then I will lie

As for not posting don’t worry I have lots of practice talking to myself
Old 09-29-2022, 06:45 PM

Well did a partial check only this set and shifted a few cams to areas I scouted that show interest. Decided I have let a few areas soak long enough and it’s time to abandon them too

The scrape activity has picked up helping confirm some thoughts on some previously scouted areas I have not set cams in yet.

So here is some results from the cams I did check

First from the bottom of the trench. I have had this cam in the area for sometime now with lots of deer activity but only one pic of a buck of interest. There is 3 heavy trails within 50yards but could not cover them all with one cam so I opted to move the cam last check to the trail I was not watching in hopes the buck was using it as his preferred path. Well he was on cam this check so let’s see if it’s just that he prefers this trail. Nice thing it’s possible to set a stand that covers all 3 trails

Not the best pic but enough to confirm he is still around

Another cam I had set in a new location did turn up a decent buck. Unfortunately when I went to check this cam there is evidence that another hunter is targeting this location right now. So I have opted to move on and focus efforts elsewhere

Not a bad looking 8 and hopefully the other hunter catches up to him.

Now for my old nocturnal friend. He is still hanging around but still running the nightshift. After the amount of pics I have of this buck and the time I have been watching him I will be in shock if I get a day time pic.

Soon it will be time to just make all my choices finish setting stands and let it ride

Old 09-29-2022, 08:30 PM

Any pics of your stands yet?
Old 09-29-2022, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanDoggo View Post
Any pics of your stands yet?
Not yet I am trying to limit my activity in those areas to let the deer settle after trimming lanes as it shakes them up. The one location I may actually move do to better options too

Next set off I will be setting some stands and will try to remember to take pics.
Old 10-06-2022, 12:48 PM

Ok I checked cams at 2 of the stand locations and took some pics

First is the ridge stand a location that was set for my wife last year that had some good bucks show up. No deer were taken in this location but there were opportunities

This is also the first cam check for this location this year

The deer are running the top of a ridge that runs from a pond/feeding area at the bottom of a ravine and a portion of the deer bed in the evergreens at the top. The stand is set on a ridge that runs parallel to the one the deer travel on about 40 yards off from there trail. There is two scrapes on either side of the stand

View

The stand itself is a ladder stand because my wife is afraid of hang on’s lol

And here is a nice droptine from the first cam check in this location this year. I am expecting some other shooters to appear

The second location is a new spot for this season. This location is in a transition zone from evergreens to poplar. There is a communal scrape about 200yards away in bush too thick to hunt properly. The stand is on a major intersection where the evergreens start to thin

One trail crosses in front of the stand well the other runs along the right side. I am a lefty so the right side of my stand is good. View of the 2 trails

Here is the stand set 20yards off the trails in the evergreens

Here are the two target bucks. I moved my cam to the scrape to get nicer pics and stay out of the stand location till it’s time to hunt. As can be seen in this thread I have been watching these two since the start

Old 10-06-2022, 01:03 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Awesome!
And your wife and I have the same
Mentality, ladder stands and I put on additional ratchet straps too for a real tight secure fit.
Good luck.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-06-2022, 01:25 PM

Some important advice for those setting stands height alone will not hide you from deer they do look up. If you are right on top of the trail you are in the deers line of sight as he comes in this dramatically increases your odds of being busted

In my travels scouting I have stumbled on 3 other tree stands this year all set right on top of the deers travel route. I find a lot of stands are set in this fashion because the hunter is trying to see as much as possible. This is extremely common when I find stands set on lines. I personally made this mistake when I first started hunting from tree stands and I got busted way too often so I changed how I do things

I set all my stands off of the trail and try to keep concealed until the deer are in the kill zone of my ambush point. Use trees as blockers so they can’t see you till it’s too late. Pay attention of where the deers direct line of sight is during travel and stay out of it. If you are off to the side of the trail the odds of the deer giving a broadside shot dramatically increases. This creates much better shot opportunities overall. This makes such a huge difference

Ambush style hunting in the bush is not about visibility it’s about setting a trap capitalize on a small portion of that deers travels. Staying hidden is a huge factor so keep out of the deers line of sight
Old 10-06-2022, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Awesome!
And your wife and I have the same
Mentality, ladder stands and I put on additional ratchet straps too for a real tight secure fit.
Good luck.

I hate them except for the comfort aspect. They are way harder to haul into the bush. Harder to set up by myself. Some of my locations I would never consider dragging a ladder stand into.

But it keeps the wife happy and out there so I suck it up and deal with them. I am also stuck setting them for my brother because he is a chicken too

I have put a cap on ladder stand numbers because I hate dealing with them even lol

If it’s what someone needs to get out there and be comfortable in a stand they are a good option though
Old 10-07-2022, 07:21 PM

After talking to my cousin he agreed that he wanted to take crack at the area with the big 10pt that has been on nightshift for the last 2 years. One of the reasons was a second buck in the area that has never given a good pic but showed potential.

So today I went to set his stand and a warp has been thrown into the plan. Now I am undecided and may need to find another location

50 yards away from my cam I found this 9pt dead. Sadly he turned out to be a really nice buck with good width. I didn’t take a lot of time at the kill site as I bumped off something larger coming in and I was unarmed

Old 10-07-2022, 09:23 PM

Any idea why it died?
Old 10-08-2022, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Any idea why it died?
My guess is cougar but I am not 100% because of how much the scavengers had gotten too it as well. I didn’t spend too much time looking it over but I didn’t notice anything indicating he had been shot so natural predators are my suspect
Old 10-08-2022, 07:03 AM

Crap, that area will be a no go zone for deer for a while.
Did your game cameras pick up any predators?

Old 10-08-2022, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Crap, that area will be a no go zone for deer for a while.
Did your game cameras pick up any predators?
Nothing on cam not even the scavengers but it’s off to the side out of the cams range
Old 10-08-2022, 07:15 AM

I would set a cam overlooking it just to see what comes back.
Might be some cool pics.
Too bad that buck had potential.

Old 10-08-2022, 07:32 AM

Quote:
I would set a cam overlooking it just to see what comes back.
Might be some cool pics.
Too bad that buck had potential.
Oh the pics don’t do that buck justice because they only show his weak side and don’t show his width. He is well outside his ears for width.

I was debating on getting a salvage permit but after thinking it through I would not appreciate the rack because It doesn’t have the memory of a true hunt to go with it. So the bush can keep it

As for moving the cam I will likely pull it from the area to help search for another location
Old 10-08-2022, 04:20 PM

Two more stands set today

First is a location for myself and I am running a bit of a gamble on this one. I set this stand at the bottom of the trench. I know the general area holds good genetics but I have not been able to establish any consistency to the bucks in the area. I have a respectable 10 point on cam right where the stand is located and that drop tine I got on cam early was directly up the hill from the location. What has been consistent is a high number of does. Because of the layout of the trails it’s tough to truly keep a good eye on the deer in the area with one cam

So I figured I will roll the dice and hope the girls make good bait to lure in a big buck

This is not a fancy location other then there is so many travel corridors that meet in or near this stand location. Where the stand sits there is 3 main trails running north south on small ridges or in the dip. Another runs east west right in front of the stand for the length of the bottom of the trench

View

The stand

The 10pt that has appeared but I would not say this stand is set to target him. This stand has been set to try and catch bucks cruising for the does

Old 10-08-2022, 04:35 PM

The second stand I set today is for my brother

This is a location I found last year that showed potential but was not hunted. I had 4 different respectable bucks on cam here last year

The area consists of a gradual hill of mixed timber with thick evergreens at the top. At the transition between the evergreens and mixed timber is a natural lick. The lick seems to keep a reasonable amount of does around all year. The stand is set down hill from the lick on a trail that was a major scrape line last season and a heavy cross trail

I forgot to take a pic from the stand but this is a pic of what it looks over from the ground

The stand

The cam has only been in this location for one check but there was a pic of a buck hanging around that is the caliber I expect for this stand. If it’s like last year he won’t be alone come the rut

An OK 9pt my brother says he would be happy with

I was in a rush and know the pics from this location are meh

Old 10-08-2022, 06:55 PM

Just wanted to say I look forward to your updates on this thread.
When does your hunting season start? Nov. 1? I'm excited to see if you can nail that nocturnal one!
Old 10-08-2022, 08:48 PM

Sure enjoying the thread SB! Thanks a bunch!
Old 10-08-2022, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJHoban View Post
Just wanted to say I look forward to your updates on this thread.
When does your hunting season start? Nov. 1? I'm excited to see if you can nail that nocturnal one!
Glad you enjoy the thread

Technically a portion of my locations opened up in September and honestly September can be a great time to target a big buck scouting like I do. October except for the last week I find the slowest I would rather invest time on other hunts

I won’t start till November because I really enjoy hunting the rut calling more than early season.The other reason I will wait is because I will have friends/family coming to hunt at that time and I want to be out hunting as well. It’s more enjoyable to come back at the end of the day and share how our days in the bush went

As for the nightshift buck he is a long shot but this game doesn’t end with just this season. At present with the secondary target buck showing up dead in that location I won’t set a stand to target him this year. But I may make an attempt off the ground on a day I choose to give stands a rest. I also still hunt/track on windy days when they deer are not moving but also have a hard time hearing

There is other bucks that will start to appear as things progress. There is a stand location I have not posted yet that is from last year that lights right up in the rut as a major corridor for some big bucks that will likely offer much better opportunities. The stand has been set already I just forgot to take pics. This time of year it often just shows does and small bucks though

This thread is just a small window into what I do and only a fraction of what I have scouted
Old 10-08-2022, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
Sure enjoying the thread SB! Thanks a bunch!
No problem it’s just some pics and mumbling about my season
Old 10-09-2022, 12:58 PM

also enjoying this thread!

was out yesterday for my first time out in the prairies with my bow and stalked up on 6 muley bucks in a coulee, unfortunately no doe's for my general tag but what a rush!