Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-05-2014, 11:05 AM

Ontario have allowed crossbows during archery season for nearly 30 years.

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 11-05-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcutter View Post
I left Sledhead's quote completely intact because it is easily the best post I have read in a long time.

Also to Sledhead - congrats on post 2000!
I totally agree
Old 11-05-2014, 11:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreya3212 View Post
this ^^^^^^^

Edmhunter , what was your last username?
Never changed it coreya3212, would you please stop posting picts of hillbillyreefer, while you refer to me! I am no kin to either of your clans
Old 11-05-2014, 11:30 AM

Ok. So if I use a lock a draw on my compound I'm now using a crossbow?
I'm still holding it like a bow, using a bow sight.

http://www.lockadraw.com/

The way I see it, one is bow hunting, one is crossbow hunting. They both fall under archery hunting-killing with and 'arrow'. Just like rifle and handgun hunting. They both fall under 'firearm hunting'.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonmark View Post

The way I see it, one is bow hunting, one is crossbow hunting. They both fall under archery hunting-killing with and 'arrow'. Just like rifle and handgun hunting. They both fall under 'firearm hunting'.
Draw locks are not allowed as approved archery equipment in ALberta
Old 11-05-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recce43 View Post
Ontario have allowed crossbows during archery season for nearly 30 years.
Yes the accepted crossbows at inception... Alberta went a different way.... if Alberta went that way in beginning the fear of a huge influx now would be moot....
Old 11-05-2014, 11:42 AM

Real bowhunters use a stick bow, no mechanical aids whatsoever

That eliminates compounds too Personally I've got no use fer them - they make 'archery' way too easy. That's why ya'll who use 'em do so - rather than stick bows - right? (Yep, feeling a little cantankerous this mornin', I'm 'stirring the pot' here )

If ya'll coulda seen me in the bush on Monday - rifle slung over my shoulder for the over 40 yard shots, carrying my crossbow for the less than 40 yard shots, and my pellet revolver (sub-500 fps) for bush chickens, I was a veritable walking arsenal !

By the way, unless I am in a stand, I don't cock my crossbow until I see a legal to shoot critter, so for me there is a considerable amount of movement getting ready to shoot, more than a compound user! I also will not put an arrow on the rail until I see a critter - even when in a stand. Safety issues.

I woulda had my recurve in the bush this season, but with a bad elbow and now a bad back (I'm wearing a support brace) I simply cannot shoot it effectively

I'm glad I live up here, if I want to I can carry my crossbow for three months.

If I lived down south I personally would like to see the compound and stick bow users have 6 weeks all to themselves, then add a couple of weeks for crossbows too, and then 'guns'.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
Draw locks are not allowed as approved archery equipment in ALberta
I realize that. My question is. Am I still using a bow?
Old 11-05-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Yes.... but with the draw lock it is now classed in same category as a crossbow.... accomplishes the same thing just different means
Old 11-05-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:

Yup that is specifically not allowed during archery season either...it's in the regs

LC
Old 11-05-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistagin View Post
Real bowhunters use a stick bow, no mechanical aids whatsoever

That eliminates compounds too Personally I've got no use fer them - they make 'archery' way too easy. That's why ya'll who use 'em do so - rather than stick bows - right? (Yep, feeling a little cantankerous this mornin', I'm 'stirring the pot' here )

If ya'll coulda seen me in the bush on Monday - rifle slung over my shoulder for the over 40 yard shots, carrying my crossbow for the less than 40 yard shots, and my pellet revolver (sub-500 fps) for bush chickens, I was a veritable walking arsenal !

By the way, unless I am in a stand, I don't cock my crossbow until I see a legal to shoot critter, so for me there is a considerable amount of movement getting ready to shoot, more than a compound user! I also will not put an arrow on the rail until I see a critter - even when in a stand. Safety issues.

I woulda had my recurve in the bush this season, but with a bad elbow and now a bad back (I'm wearing a support brace) I simply cannot shoot it effectively

I'm glad I live up here, if I want to I can carry my crossbow for three months.

If I lived down south I personally would like to see the compound and stick bow users have 6 weeks all to themselves, then add a couple of weeks for crossbows too, and then 'guns'.
Thats a good point. I bet when the compound was first invented many were saying the same thing as many are saying now about the cross bow. It's not archery. cams, pulleys, huge let off, specialied rests for arrows, stabilizers, SIGHTS!!!. Real bow hunting is with a wood bow, all instinctive shooting. I agree this is thread isn't going anywhere, but it does atleast allow people to share there views.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Yup that is specifically not allowed during archery season either...it's in the regs

LC
which will be changing whether you admit it or not
Old 11-05-2014, 12:00 PM

This can be beat to death in every way and opinions will not change....

I was in province where crossbows have been allowed since inception and no huge impact, however they also do not have the archery opportunities we can enjoy here in Alberta....

we have it pretty good for bow hunting here in Alberta and for that I am glad.

I have argued many facets of this and there are a few facts in pace in the end.

Crossbows were available when archery equipment was defined for Alberta and were excluded on purpose. The rifle season became the General Season to create a place for them

With current game management processes based on how seasons are set there would be huge impacts to all hunters.

everything else is just opinion and argument....

I look at it like driving..... all vehicles go from point a to b.... why do you need different licenses for cars, motorcycles, and commercial vehicles. Why is every jurisdiction different on issuance of licenses....

Where does a cann-amm spyder fit into this?

very similar to this whole argument.....

Ask a biker what a motorcycle is and a crotch-rocket enthusiast....bet you get different answers even though they hold same license!
Old 11-05-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Yes.... but with the draw lock it is now classed in same category as a crossbow.... accomplishes the same thing just different means
Now were getting somewhere! This is just a roundabout way of getting a definition of the real difference between the two. From what I gather, and I believe someone already stated this. 'It's the ability to NOT have to draw the string in the presence of the animal'. That makes sense to me. I agree there different. But it just seems that most hunters who prefer hunting with a compound are VERY touchy about the subject. So much so that when someone were to ask "do you hunt' They'd reply, 'I bow hunt". Implying that it’s a better form or that all other forms are not hunting.

When I'm faced with an answer like this again, I'll follow up with. Oh what kind of stave is your bow made from?
Old 11-05-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Now were getting somewhere! This is just a roundabout way of getting a definition of the real difference between the two. From what I gather, and I believe someone already stated this. 'It's the ability to NOT have to draw the string in the presence of the animal'. That makes sense to me. I agree there different. But it just seems that most hunters who prefer hunting with a compound are VERY touchy about the subject. So much so that when someone were to ask "do you hunt' They'd reply, 'I bow hunt". Implying that it’s a better form or that all other forms are not hunting.
When I'm faced with an answer like this again, I'll follow up with. Oh what kind of stave is your bow made from?
DING DING DING DING DING!!!!!!!!!!

Now we are going somewhere!!!!!!!! Lets also note that Alberta truly is the biggest promoter of this opinion!
Old 11-05-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Thats a good point. I bet when the compound was first invented many were saying the same thing as many are saying now about the cross bow. It's not archery. cams, pulleys, huge let off, specialied rests for arrows, stabilizers, SIGHTS!!!. Real bow hunting is with a wood bow, all instinctive shooting. I agree this is thread isn't going anywhere, but it does atleast allow people to share there views.
Yup. I was around when those debates were held (Ontario). They got just as heated as these ones here in Alberta about crossbows. The funny thing is that crossbows weren't debated like that back then and there, they were accepted as legit archery tackle from the get go. All the venom was reserved for compounds!!! And a lot of the same reasons objecting to crossbows here were held for compounds back then. Funny huh!

I didn't get a crossbow until I started having elbow issues and couldn't practice enough with my recurve to maintain consistent efficiency. It was my wife who finally bought it for me , because she saw how I was struggling through the pain to keep using the recurve (What a gal I've got ). For me, it was all about being able to keep on experiencing THE HUNT and everything that goes along with it, which is what it should really be all about anyway (in my book).
Old 11-05-2014, 12:30 PM

Can I shoot my crossbow off a donkey, is that legal?
Old 11-05-2014, 12:46 PM
Banned

Only if your Donkey has a PAL!
Old 11-05-2014, 12:49 PM

In the General Jack"donkey" season.....
Old 11-05-2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistagin View Post
Yup. I was around when those debates were held (Ontario). They got just as heated as these ones here in Alberta about crossbows. The funny thing is that crossbows weren't debated like that back then and there, they were accepted as legit archery tackle from the get go. All the venom was reserved for compounds!!! And a lot of the same reasons objecting to crossbows here were held for compounds back then. Funny huh!

I didn't get a crossbow until I started having elbow issues and couldn't practice enough with my recurve to maintain consistent efficiency. It was my wife who finally bought it for me , because she saw how I was struggling through the pain to keep using the recurve (What a gal I've got ). For me, it was all about being able to keep on experiencing THE HUNT and everything that goes along with it, which is what it should really be all about anyway (in my book).
POpe and young even had a shi fi when bows got to 85% let off.... is that not 15% away from a draw lock!?.....
Old 11-05-2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildside2014 View Post
which will be changing whether you admit it or not
That you can't use a draw lock? Explain?

LC
Old 11-05-2014, 12:55 PM

For the record I am a hybrid hunter as most of you know....almost 50/50....shot an elk with my bow this year and an antelope with the gun. Someone asks I tell them I do both.

LC
Old 11-05-2014, 01:01 PM

[QUOTE=nekred;2604885]
Lefty what do you call that little thing on a wrist strap release that you apply pressure to, to activate it?

[QUOTE]

Why are you avoiding this question lefty?
Old 11-05-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Lefty what do you call that little thing on a wrist strap release that you apply pressure to, to activate it?

Why are you avoiding this question lefty?
I never avoided it lol....you have to go back and read . But I can make it easy for you if you like?

Way back page 1 post 17.....

I stated, "They may serve the same purpose I'll give you that but they are different....you never realize you forgot your trigger for your xbow at home when you get to your tree stand."

LC
Old 11-05-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I never avoided it lol....you have to go back and read . But I can make it easy for you if you like?

Way back page 1 post 17.....

I stated, "They may serve the same purpose I'll give you that but they are different....you never realize you forgot your trigger for your xbow at home when you get to your tree stand."

LC
Thanks but you did not answer question directly... you talked about the whole release not just the thing you push with your finger!....
Old 11-05-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Thanks but you did not answer question directly... you talked about the whole release not just the thing you push with your finger!....
Is a thumb release a trigger? How about back tension release? A release is not a trigger....it may encorporate one but the realize itself is not the "same" as a trigger.

LC
Old 11-05-2014, 01:53 PM

Nope. It's not bow hunting. It takes the same skill as rifle exept you have to be a little closer.
Old 11-05-2014, 01:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinalberta View Post
Nope. It's not bow hunting. It takes the same skill as rifle exept you have to be a little closer.
Aint that the fact, you can take a child out and within 30 minutes he or she will be hitting a bullseye at 20 yards, not true with a bow!
Old 11-05-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
irrelevant to the argument. A barbed broadhead is still a broadhead, but it not legal in the regs.
Old 11-05-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBE2 View Post
Since he hasn't been around to comment on the never ending debate, I'll quote Pottymouth and 2nd the opinion...
"It's not a bow, it's a cross-gun" (X-gun). Lol. Denying the difference in effort and skill to use a Xgun compared to a bow, recurve or compound, is stupid. Just sayin, enjoy the ride boys, this threads headed nowhere. Cheers
No crossbows in archery season!!!!