Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-22-2008, 03:02 PM

Default Attention land owners please read and respond

Howdy folks, a while back there was some discussion on hunters approaching land owners for permission. There did not seem to be a great response so I am asking the land owners amongst us here if they would mind posting what they would like to see for hunters asking for permission. I know that not everyone will subscribe to the idea's and there will always be some type of conflict, but I would like to think that the hunters that use this board could use the land owners advice as a tool for better communication, less conflict, and a better management tool for access. For those reading this post please do not troll. This is an honest attempt to help hunters understand what land owners go through and how we as hunters can become better educated as to how they would like to be approached. I will monitor the responses and create a list that I will ask the moderator to post.
Old 11-22-2008, 03:17 PM

No the area a little bit would help. I don't think it is my job as a landowner to have to explain who's land is who's for several mile's around.
Old 11-23-2008, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitw View Post
No the area a little bit would help. I don't think it is my job as a landowner to have to explain who's land is who's for several mile's around.

yep same feelings here im not going to sit here and type a book on how a hunter should approch me to hunt on my property
Old 11-23-2008, 02:09 PM

Why bother posting if your just going to be negative?
Old 11-23-2008, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitw View Post
If one had a county map would you be willing to high light the lands that you own and allow hunting on.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:33 PM

Ahh no response, other then good inital post.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:45 PM

Good question, but likely wrong forum. Hunting land owners are pretty protective about thier domains.

Agricultural based forum would likely be better. I've seen one of the sites (can't remember now) that had information and some queries about dealing with varmits and nuisance waterfowl.

I'm sure some of the good lads on this site could team up and do some creative lobbying for enhanced access. Seems to me that much of Alberta's trophy lands are 'privileged', where access becomes more than just asking.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:27 AM
MAV

I think it is a great question, and I’d be more than happy to tell you what I’d like to see. We don’t have a lot of hunting on our property but we do have a couple ditches and a decent tree and hedge row that holds quite a few birds.

The first thing is come in thinking you aren’t getting permission, be humble and don’t be rude. I own the land and I’m doing you the favor, remember that. Start by introducing yourself and everyone in your party. Bring everyone out of the truck; there is nothing I hate more than one guy walking up to the door and his three buddies sitting there like they have nothing to do with the hunt. But when you do this try and think how your wife would handle a situation with 4 big guys coming to the door for permission, one guy at the door the other three in full view and back from the door don’t be carrying anything to the door with you and always try and play with the dog, people that don't like dogs worry me.

Be up front “…I want to hunt this ditch because we just saw a bunch of pheasants and partridge land in there” it doesn’t take a rocket surgeon to see through a bunch of BS a hunter is spewing when they are trying to butter you up so be honest.

Don’t drop names; I know all my neighbors and I don’t care what Bill across the road said if you want my permission get it from me. I also realize that in some cases you just drive by a new place that looks interesting so you drop in, I get that, but if you know in advance that you are coming this way, give a heads up by calling before you stop by. This way I already have something to judge you by and I get a better feeling about someone that is willing to do a little due diligence.

If you stop in and I’m not home leave a note. Believe it or not most landowners know when someone has driven in there yard when they are not there. If I see a note with your name and the reason you are there I’ll be more inclined later to give you the benefit of the doubt. If you do it right the note should have your name the reason you are there your phone number and your truck and license plate on it. The reason I like that is if you are decent enough to let me know you’ve been there I’ll be decent and call you later that night. The rest of the info is also important because I’m probably close by and if I see you later in the day I’ll stop and talk to you.

Feel free to shoot the **** a little, if you don’t know me the best way for me to figure you out is to talk to you a little bit. If you aren’t willing to even kill a little time with me and let me know what you are all about or willing to find out what I’m all about then that isn’t going to help you much. You don’t have to stay for a half an hour but if you see cattle comment on the price of calves, or the amount of feed you need to have for the winter, anything that would suggest that you aren’t a complete knuckle head.

The last thing that I can think of right now is just because I don’t let you on this time doesn’t mean that can’t change. If you really want on my place stop by again and say hi even out of season if I get to the point that I think of you as an acquaintance then you have a way better chance of success.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAV View Post
I think it is a great question, and I’d be more than happy to tell you what I’d like to see. We don’t have a lot of hunting on our property but we do have a couple ditches and a decent tree and hedge row that holds quite a few birds.

The first thing is come in thinking you aren’t getting permission, be humble and don’t be rude. I own the land and I’m doing you the favor, remember that. Start by introducing yourself and everyone in your party. Bring everyone out of the truck; there is nothing I hate more than one guy walking up to the door and his three buddies sitting there like they have nothing to do with the hunt. But when you do this try and think how your wife would handle a situation with 4 big guys coming to the door for permission, one guy at the door the other three in full view and back from the door don’t be carrying anything to the door with you and always try and play with the dog, people that don't like dogs worry me.

Be up front “…I want to hunt this ditch because we just saw a bunch of pheasants and partridge land in there” it doesn’t take a rocket surgeon to see through a bunch of BS a hunter is spewing when they are trying to butter you up so be honest.

Don’t drop names; I know all my neighbors and I don’t care what Bill across the road said if you want my permission get it from me. I also realize that in some cases you just drive by a new place that looks interesting so you drop in, I get that, but if you know in advance that you are coming this way, give a heads up by calling before you stop by. This way I already have something to judge you by and I get a better feeling about someone that is willing to do a little due diligence.

If you stop in and I’m not home leave a note. Believe it or not most landowners know when someone has driven in there yard when they are not there. If I see a note with your name and the reason you are there I’ll be more inclined later to give you the benefit of the doubt. If you do it right the note should have your name the reason you are there your phone number and your truck and license plate on it. The reason I like that is if you are decent enough to let me know you’ve been there I’ll be decent and call you later that night. The rest of the info is also important because I’m probably close by and if I see you later in the day I’ll stop and talk to you.

Feel free to shoot the **** a little, if you don’t know me the best way for me to figure you out is to talk to you a little bit. If you aren’t willing to even kill a little time with me and let me know what you are all about or willing to find out what I’m all about then that isn’t going to help you much. You don’t have to stay for a half an hour but if you see cattle comment on the price of calves, or the amount of feed you need to have for the winter, anything that would suggest that you aren’t a complete knuckle head.

The last thing that I can think of right now is just because I don’t let you on this time doesn’t mean that can’t change. If you really want on my place stop by again and say hi even out of season if I get to the point that I think of you as an acquaintance then you have a way better chance of success.
Very well said!! I am going to incorporate the leaving a note comment into my permission seeking next year.

Let me ask you this though, and I'll use myself as an example. The area where I do the majority of my deer hunting, I've been hunting it for 6-7 years now. My hunting buddy's and best friend's parents bought a quarter section and have lived there for 7 years. If I showed up at your door and introduced myself and mentioned that I'm staying with or visiting your neighbours and hunting on their land as well, wouldn't that put you more at ease and make it more likely to get permission to hunt your land? Assuming you liked the cut of my jib of course!!
Old 11-24-2008, 02:33 PM

When I give permission for someone to hunt, that permission is valid for only that person and not all of his friends. Also, I want to be notified everytime that the person is coming on my place and if they are successful, I would like to see the animal. The two biggest reasons I don;t give permission very often are:
1: I sneak out to my stand 2 hrs before dark to have someone drive by just when the game is starting to appear.
2: I'm a trophy hunter so want hunters to shoot mature animals (regardless of horn size) or young deer with inferior horns. If there are two 2.5 year old bucks standing side by side, one being a 10 pt 140" and the other a 7 pt 100" deer, 10 out of 10 meat hunters will still shoot the 140" deer. If someone (with permission) shoots a big mature deer on my place I'm happy for them. If your a meat hunter, shoot a doe.

Also, it seems like when you allow one hunter, everyone seems to think that all hunters are welcome. Some landowners find it easier to just say no to everyone rather than deal with all the BS. Also, hunters need to put more peer pressure on hunters that are leaving bad impressions. Last year, someone shot two md does on my place. They left the gate open, left some empty beer cans and didn't request permission. This year I've had three hunts foiled by people driving through or shooting from the road. My wife found one of the guilty parties crossing the fence into some other property we own this morning. " I didn't lnow you own this too" I felt bad about cussing the guy out the first time; now I wish I would have charged him. Bad hunters are probably the biggest reason permission is hard to get.
In my case, it has been local guys (neighbors twice and a townie once) but most of the people I talked to have trouble with guys from Grande Prairie and Edmonton.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:50 PM
Banned

Me personally, as a hunter, Ive noticed this when gaining permission.
Like stated above, dont show up and ask and want to leave right away. It doesnt work that way. I talked an older fella in the County here this weekend about a peice of property a mile south of him. After 30 minutes of BS'n about farming, the oil patch and hunting he gave me directions to his personal quarter and offered the key to me if I shoot something.
It comes down to being honest, showing respect before you even ask the permission.. and if you get denied dont throw a silent hissy fit about it. Ive gained permission but being sincere and thanking him anyhow... and just about in the truck and he yells at me and gives me full access!
And one last thing, dont lie and say you want to shoot a doe when you really want to shoot a buck... because permission will be lost as Ive seen happy to guys I know.
Honesty, Honesty, Honesty... Respect.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:08 PM

thanks guys these are great posts especially for someone new too Alberta,like me
Old 11-24-2008, 11:28 PM
Banned

OK , heres my 1 cent , when we as hunters go to your house we are asking permission for ACCESS , ACCESS , ACCESS to hunt , thats all , what eirks me off is that landowners dictate to us what we can shoot and what we cant shoot , even tho the Govt says that Moose are open in a certain zone , l,ve came across landowners who say , you can shoot the deer but leave the Moose alone , or shoot bucks but no does , or vise versa.
Who are you to decide what game l shoot , thats not the point , we,re asking for access.
Also why is there only Range patrol in hunting season , never see you out there in the summer when l tresspass to pick up a beer can , but hunting season your all out there making sure no one shoots anything on your place before you do , and if you do let somone in , you tell them what or what not to shoot.
The game is not yours , just say yes or no , we dont need to be told what we can or cannot shoot , you are not the Govt or F&W.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:35 PM

before i go hunting anywhere, i get a copy of the county map and study it hard. see who is the landowners where i may go. call them a day ahead of time so they are not taken by surprise. most people around here seem to think that if land is not posted it is free game. it is not. my neighbors and i always converse about hunting on eachothers land all the time. the worst offenders are people from the city who i have never seen before and feel like they have a right to drive through my land. what a **** off. it seems like common sence for most people have gone right out the window.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUD View Post
OK , heres my 1 cent , when we as hunters go to your house we are asking permission for ACCESS , ACCESS , ACCESS to hunt , thats all , what eirks me off is that landowners dictate to us what we can shoot and what we cant shoot , even tho the Govt says that Moose are open in a certain zone , l,ve came across landowners who say , you can shoot the deer but leave the Moose alone , or shoot bucks but no does , or vise versa.
Who are you to decide what game l shoot , thats not the point , we,re asking for access.
Also why is there only Range patrol in hunting season , never see you out there in the summer when l tresspass to pick up a beer can , but hunting season your all out there making sure no one shoots anything on your place before you do , and if you do let somone in , you tell them what or what not to shoot.
The game is not yours , just say yes or no , we dont need to be told what we can or cannot shoot , you are not the Govt or F&W.
Yeesh. I'm guessing you don't have permission to hunt in many places.

I like the business card approach.
Have your name, phone #, email, truck make, model, and license #. I hate being a pain so I would ask for an email address from the owner as well(use your discretion of course) so I can just send them a quick one if I'm going to be there. Then if something comes up they can also let me know.
& spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat!
Old 11-25-2008, 01:29 AM

Some very good posts here,
I too give permission but do have some rules and limits.. I release a few birds every few years trying to establish a bit of a resident flock. So I say no Birds! We have tried to create some habitat for game so we have some.
I don't post my land because I don't think I have to... do any people have to post their front yards in towns or cities??? (remember its owned)
If I catch anyone on my property that hasn't asked I plain and simple charge him its a pain in the a-- but it is for him too!
I don't drive on my land to Hunt so why should I let anyone else do it.... All hunters walk. No different then me driving on a fellows yard in town.. I'm sure he'd call the cops ---- right!
I too love to have strangers talk for a while if for no other reason to make me feel better about letting them into my space.
One walks to the house and 2 sit in the truck I say you have permission but those other guys with you, stay on the road "in the truck"!
A short story --- Fellow in a friends field one day saw a stranger loading up a tree stand (which the owner of land put up) when the fellow approached him and asked what he was doing he stated he didn't think anyone owned it cause he seen it there for years.. well the fellow "stated that for sure you knew you didn't own it"! This land is now posted..... (No-one gets in because of a hunter, A bad hunter)... Be good hunters talk to land owners....
SST
Old 11-25-2008, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off in the Bushes View Post
If one had a county map would you be willing to high light the lands that you own and allow hunting on.
Certainly I'm willing to show people who have a map where I own land. I alway's carry a map with me and I live here, so I don't understand why someone wanting to enjoy a hunting trip wouldn't put in the time to have one. I have sold map's to people who want to show me respect and are honest with me.

Bud I've made a choice to live out wher there are open spaces. I give permission to water fowl hunter's when there is crop's that the bird's are landing on. I don't shoot the duck's on the slough because I like to see them and if you can't respect that then expect to be charged. Also some landowner's like to see "their" moose everyday and if they don't want you to shoot it, don't, or again expect to get charged.
Everybody on this board made a decission on where they want to live, so respect there decission. I don't go to the city and stop at the first house I come to and ask where the walmart is. I usually plan a trip a little better than that. Make your hunting trip a better experience with just a little planning.
For you guy's that think along the same line's as Bud. I figure we all have a rope to pull through life. If you give me a hand in pulling on that rope I'll respond by putting my hand to your rope. If you want to make my rope harder to pull, trust me I'll cut you free and try and attach an anchor to your rope.
Barry
Old 11-25-2008, 07:50 AM

First off this is an awsome thread it has been very helpful. I found some mistakes we have been making, The biggest is when we go to ask a landowner for permission only one goes out of 3, we thought this might look intimadating to the owner or spouse and childeren. THanx all
Old 11-25-2008, 10:17 AM

This is a good thread with somer interesting ideas that can help all of us I think even the veterans. Here is a question I was posing to a few people last week I would like to see the input here.

I was given permission to a quarter that is fantastic and I shot my biggest whitetail ever a 150. I wanted to thank the landowner who also gave me permission a few years back but my question is what wouyld be an acceptable thank you to recieve from an appreciative hunter, you are never sure if they drink so a case of beer is out I have some hats from the company I work for and was thinking of that but am not sure, any constructive ideas would be great from the landowners on this forum.

Is this a good idea or not?
Old 11-25-2008, 02:07 PM

Just a note on this permission thread ::
This morning I was out on our land doing a bit of a walk looking for that monster everyone else sees but me!
There was a hell of a commotion on a neighboring property which I have since found out what happened.....
This land is posted hunting with permission only.....
A couple of fellows driving down the road saw THE BIG ONE!!!!! took a couple of shots from the road and thinking they may have hit it..... opened the gate and drove into the field .... well to make it short.. they got into a bunch of Harrows in the grass.....
Blew up 4 monster tires on a jacked up Truck and apparently ruined a couple of 4 or 5 hundred dollar rims.......
All this happening in view of the landowners hunting blind which he was sitting in.....Can see a court case here!!!!!
Think anyone will get permission on that land now!!!!
SST
Old 11-25-2008, 03:16 PM

I think this is a great thread. I am really starting to understand the land owner side of it.
I have yet to ask someone for permission whom I dont already know. BUT when I do I have a better understanding of what is expected.

Thank you

I still lose bait that way.

UPS will fondle your animals!!
Old 11-25-2008, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskybaron View Post
This is a good thread with somer interesting ideas that can help all of us I think even the veterans. Here is a question I was posing to a few people last week I would like to see the input here.

I was given permission to a quarter that is fantastic and I shot my biggest whitetail ever a 150. I wanted to thank the landowner who also gave me permission a few years back but my question is what wouyld be an acceptable thank you to recieve from an appreciative hunter, you are never sure if they drink so a case of beer is out I have some hats from the company I work for and was thinking of that but am not sure, any constructive ideas would be great from the landowners on this forum.

Is this a good idea or not?
How about some sausage, steaks, and or roasts from the deer? I've done that a few times as a thank you.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:50 PM

I have found over the years that a little gratitude goes a long ways. For example after every hunting season I take some time out of my schedule to write thank you notes to each and every landowner that grants me permission, and if I happen to be lucky enough to harvest a deer on a particular land owners place, I drop off some of the meat (after it is butchered) as a sign of gratitude as well. I am not here to bash city folk by no means, but just to let you know most landowners in my area, believe that all the "bad hunters" in the area are from the city. Whether this is true or not, maybe if you are from the city and do not want to be lumped into this narrow minded thinking, maybe show some of the gratitude I have mentioned above and it may change some attitudes. Also I would also like to say I have noticed that everybody seems to have this attitude that people that "road hunt" are the a**es that ruin it for everyone, but I know if done properly this is a very effective way to hunt, and just because this is not the way you may hunt doesn't mean it is wrong. Just my 2 cents...
Old 11-25-2008, 06:11 PM

My land is posted with the "USE RESPECT" signs. Has my number on it so guys can call to ask permission.

Rules are simple. Leave it like you found it. No vehicles. Shoot a big one.
If there is someone there, leave.

If something gets wrecked, not likely it was someone who called for permission.......
Old 11-25-2008, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdfish View Post
How about some sausage, steaks, and or roasts from the deer? I've done that a few times as a thank you.
Again just from my perspective. Thankyou and a BS session goes a long way. Liquor is pure poison to me and a few other's I know so offering that isn't alway's a good thing. How many landowner's do we think are starving and require a gift of food. I hear people on this board screaming about paid hunting access, isn't giving something to the landowner as a thankyou the start of this? I know the feeling of wanting to give so don't take me wrong it's just that if I or someone else give's you permission out of the goodness of our heart's it doesn't require material good's to pay for it. Decency say's a thankyou is required and that thankyou will most often pay dividend's.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
My land is posted with the "USE RESPECT" signs. Has my number on it so guys can call to ask permission.

Rules are simple. Leave it like you found it. No vehicles. Shoot a big one.
If there is someone there, leave.

If something gets wrecked, not likely it was someone who called for permission.......
I'm a big fan of the "USE RESPECT" sign. Called the #'s on them a couple times. I've always offered to introduce myself in person to the person on the other end of the line. Most times they say don't bother, sometimes they said "sure swing on by when you're done hunting." Personally, (and this is only my opinion), I think if more landowners put up the USE RESPECT sign, there would be fewer problems.

And if one of your rules is shoot a big one, would you be so kind to tie one up for me next Halloween? I'll see you November 1st!
Old 11-25-2008, 08:06 PM

Default USE RESPECT signs

i have used these signs in the past and think they ar ethe most effective. they were brought into effect from a great guy from the warner-foremost area that has passed on. they are not seen as much as they should.
my permission is granted on a case by case basis. if you ask and tell me who is hunting then those mentioned are granted permission for the time in which is stated. its not a whenever i want to permission. permission is granted for that day or days in which you want to hunt. not season long. success is info that is appreciated but not necessary because i'm usually there after you leave and can tell what you've been up to. gates are closed as you find them and under no circumstances are fires permitted. city folk don;t undrstand the liability that we face when a fire kicks up 4-6 months later and the bombers are rolling in at 1500/hour, and the neighbors house just burnt down. i think that is one thing that erks landowners is the freedoms that city people take for granted on our property. it also doesn't matter if its owned land or rented. a couple of sticks of sausage go a long way in asking and keeping permission and thats it. we don't ned to be bothered otherwise. rember we are not foreign beings and your enjoyment is at our "expense". its not yours nor do you try to make a living on it. that is for the people on the land and not the investment types. be fair and introduce yourself, make a relationship and keep to your word and if that is not an option you will be hunting the green zones for a long time.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:42 PM

You want to hunt my place? Don't just show up at my door and ask, when you see a herd of deer there. It's a pretty crowded place and I want to know what kind of person I'm giving the keys of my personal kingdom to. Rural crime watch put out a telephone warning a couple of weeks ago, relating to two guys going around asking for permission to hunt. If it was granted, they used the opportunity to case the property and return when there was no body around, to help themselves to loose items. I'm sure, after that, everybody knocking on a door, was being viewed with suspician.
Grizz
Old 11-25-2008, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUD View Post
OK , heres my 1 cent , when we as hunters go to your house we are asking permission for ACCESS , ACCESS , ACCESS to hunt , thats all , what eirks me off is that landowners dictate to us what we can shoot and what we cant shoot , even tho the Govt says that Moose are open in a certain zone , l,ve came across landowners who say , you can shoot the deer but leave the Moose alone , or shoot bucks but no does , or vise versa. ...
... Who are you to decide what game l shoot , thats not the point , we,re asking for access.

Hi Bud, have you been to my house??!! We own 9 1/4s of land with Muleys, Whitetail, Elk & Moose. But not many moose and my wife likes to see them. So we say "leave the moose alone". And cursing me, my wife or mother (esecially when I'm not home), and explaining to us simple contry folk your understanding of the rules did not & will never get you access on our land. Right or wrong, we will decide who gets permission. You want moose I will gladly give you directions to a huge piece of crown land and good moose country near by, before the lecture. After the lecture you'll get directions to the end of the driveway, if not to h...

We have become really good friends with people we've met when they came by to ask permission. And a couple nice deer have been taken this year.

This is what I like to see from the sportsmen and ladies who come to our place:

When you get permission, don't go home and bring back a posse of your friends and family.

Let me know when you plan to go out, everytime, preferably more than 10 minutes before the hunt. If someone is out there already, or if I am going out (on that rare occasion) I can suggest an other place, or even let you know that some one is there and reduces the risk of you interferring with some ones hunt and vise versa.

When you get something, come and show me. I like to see them and will congratulate you, fawn, doe, cow, bull, buck even coyote. Come back in the summer and shoot some gophers, shoot the ****.

Let me know if you do see some one else out there or something amiss. If someone is out there without permission we will ask them to leave and may even seek charges. This is only fair to the people who use respect.

Be courteous, don't come roaring in to the yard and running to the house cause you saw a deer. I know, sometimes it's just the way it goes. You see this guy right by the road when you are on the way to the stand where you have scouted and got permission etc.. But there are some guys who "hunt" like this then get p.....d when they don't get as warm a reception as they think they deserve.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdfish View Post
I'm a big fan of the "USE RESPECT" sign. Called the #'s on them a couple times. I've always offered to introduce myself in person to the person on the other end of the line. Most times they say don't bother, sometimes they said "sure swing on by when you're done hunting." Personally, (and this is only my opinion), I think if more landowners put up the USE RESPECT sign, there would be fewer problems.

And if one of your rules is shoot a big one, would you be so kind to tie one up for me next Halloween? I'll see you November 1st!
With pleasure........