Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-08-2013, 07:38 PM

Always enjoy your threads SG great balin' pic...thx chain
Old 09-08-2013, 09:09 PM

Default I am a cat lover......

Years ago, I used to work in Nordegg prior to the oil field and seismic up there. I knew it was a huge outdoors area for all the fun things.....quading, dirt biking and hunting.
When I wasn't working or dirt biking I used to go out for walks by myself up past the old mines. One day I came around the corner and there was a the most beautiful animal staring at me. A COUGAR !!!! I blinked and the cougar was gone.
Been fascinated with them since.....would love to get a piece of cougar fur ...... even a tiny piece of fur.
I can easily understand the incredible desire to want to hunt a cougar!!!!
Old 09-08-2013, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
Better be careful, some would consider that hunting by vehicle.
Lookin for tracks is only scouting. Lol. The hunt always comes after you box one in!!! I can't wait!
"I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only is a target but as living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life,if I can with regrets as well as joy, with the sure knowledge that natures way of fang and claw or exposure and starvation are a far crueler fate then I can bestow."- Fred Bear
Old 09-08-2013, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
Yep and 100% of cat hunters look for tracks off or out of a vehicle.
I dunno, I've met some self-righteous cat hunting folk that seem to think that their hounds' ability to sense animals right from the inside of their truck gives them an edge that constitutes hunting from a vehicle. How they travel to and from their hunt site, I have no idea. Must be a long hike.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupped N Committed View Post
Lookin for tracks is only scouting. Lol. The hunt always comes after you box one in!!! I can't wait!
It was sarcasm. Search some of the old cat threads and you will see what I mean.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:59 PM

I may well go out for Cougar with the Shotgun upcoming.

In fact it's most likely for me as it has been looking like a better idea as time progresses! Generous seasons and I have heard great things about their meat in addition to their fantastic fur.

I should have taken up chasing Cougar years ago... Better late than never!

Glad to see the photos you've posted here, thanks for a little extra inspiration. Pleasure to see a fine thread on a topic one was just thinking of before hand, most inspirational.
Old 09-08-2013, 10:20 PM

Almost like pork. I'll be spending time lookin for tracks for a good part of dec. can't wait
Old 09-10-2013, 04:41 PM

Lets just leave the females alone and then we can enjoy it for a full 3 months.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
I dunno, I've met some self-righteous cat hunting folk that seem to think that their hounds' ability to sense animals right from the inside of their truck gives them an edge that constitutes hunting from a vehicle. How they travel to and from their hunt site, I have no idea. Must be a long hike.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:56 AM

You hunting with AJ?
Old 10-29-2013, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Never quite understood the concept of "boxing one in". Seems to me that it reduces a hound hunt to a boot hunt.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chancer View Post
Lets just leave the females alone and then we can enjoy it for a full 3 months.
It is very unfortunate that many do not share this opinion. Dollars mean more to far too many people these days....
"I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only is a target but as living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life,if I can with regrets as well as joy, with the sure knowledge that natures way of fang and claw or exposure and starvation are a far crueler fate then I can bestow."- Fred Bear
Old 10-29-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nait Hadya View Post
Never quite understood the concept of "boxing one in". Seems to me that it reduces a hound hunt to a boot hunt.
Y wouldn't you want to take a little time and do some legwork yourself rather than leave it all to the hounds. They scratch your back enough by putting the lion up a tree. They deserve as much of an advantage as u can give them. Sometimes it isn't always possible to box one in and in those situations you have to trust your dogs a little more. I am still green with mostly younger dogs. But I will damn sure try to stack the odds in the favour of my hounds if possible.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Y wouldn't you want to take a little time and do some legwork yourself rather than leave it all to the hounds. They scratch your back enough by putting the lion up a tree. They deserve as much of an advantage as u can give them. Sometimes it isn't always possible to box one in and in those situations you have to trust your dogs a little more. I am still green with mostly younger dogs. But I will damn sure try to stack the odds in the favour of my hounds if possible.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:29 PM

Very interested in booking a cat hunt either this year or next. Who are some of the best guides drayton valley and south? And is $4500 kinda the going rate still for a resident hunter? Thanks
Old 10-29-2013, 11:30 PM

what does it cost for someone with dogs to guide you? i would love to blast a cat but have no idea how to go about it with out being eaten.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nait hadya View Post
never quite understood the concept of "boxing one in". Seems to me that it reduces a hound hunt to a boot hunt.
lol
Old 10-30-2013, 12:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nait Hadya View Post
Seems to me not boxing it in a cat can waist a ton of a persons time and his dog power. A track of a moving cat can be dam fresh and still be unreachable that day. Haven't met a houndsman yet that doesn't box cats in and try and reduce the wear on his dogs and their run time. A fresh cat track on the move that has 10-20 miles of lead on a dog isnt the smartest thing to turn on when you can box him and you can help cut the distance down to 2 miles by utilizing cut lines and oil roads. A 20min sled or truck run can save a dog half a day or more running. But yet obviously some guys just run the crap out of there dogs and dont have a clue!
Old 10-30-2013, 07:22 AM

wow, really big one
Old 10-30-2013, 09:04 AM

Default Cat season

31 days
Old 10-30-2013, 09:09 AM

You can bet I will be out looking for tracks in my area this weekend with this first snow fall! The dogs were going nuts yesterday morning with the fresh snow! I think they can sense the count down is on. Gonna be tough to top last season!
Old 10-30-2013, 09:26 AM

Dad and I have seen 6 different cats in the past 4 days out hunting. Killed one of them on Private Land (our own so it is legal) that was about 165 pounds. Real nice Tom.

The rest of them have been causing chaos on our deer and elk populations. Seems to be an extreme over abundance of Cats in 312 and 310.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntingAlberta View Post
Dad and I have seen 6 different cats in the past 4 days out hunting. Killed one of them on Private Land (our own so it is legal) that was about 165 pounds. Real nice Tom.

The rest of them have been causing chaos on our deer and elk populations. Seems to be an extreme over abundance of Cats in 312 and 310.
Throw up a pic of your tom pls! Would love to see it!
Old 10-30-2013, 10:32 AM

One more month Darcy then she's go time! Can't wait to put up a few longtails with the crew.

Gilly
Old 10-30-2013, 10:35 AM

I cropped out his face as to not put him on the internet.

Hopefully get a couple more in the next few weeks to help out the bucks and bulls.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cougar 2013.jpg (45.5 KB, 253 views)
File Type: jpg Cougar 2013a.jpg (77.8 KB, 255 views)
Old 10-30-2013, 10:41 AM
Banned

Nice cat!!!
Old 10-30-2013, 11:06 AM

Thanks for the pic. That's a nice cat! I think I need a smoke and a nap now! Lol the anticipation was intense lol
Old 10-30-2013, 07:19 PM

Some big Cats, good work......many out where I Hunt for Elk, maybe why the Ungulate population is less out there these days.

MM
Old 10-30-2013, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
I would like to...just dont know anything about it.
x2
Old 10-30-2013, 11:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpete1 View Post
what does it cost for someone with dogs to guide you? i would love to blast a cat but have no idea how to go about it with out being eaten.
average for guides that do it legally seems to be around 4500-5000. there is a guy in this thread though that doesnt have any licensing that offered it for 6000 though. hmmm....seems reasonable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntingAlberta View Post
I cropped out his face as to not put him on the internet.

Hopefully get a couple more in the next few weeks to help out the bucks and bulls.
great job fella. i wish the season wasnt just november. seems bowhunters get all the chances while creeping around sounding and smelling like cat food in archery season. i remeber it being open much earlier in years past....but for some reason, the success rate on cats seemed to be awful high.....