Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarCreek View Post
This has been tough watching this thread develope. Having had the privilege to have Cody take my daughter out on her first ever big game hunt this past spring it was ALL ABOUT THE ETHICS in the hunt including leaving earlier than I would have from the stand. That hunt has left a lasting impression in my daughters mind of what hunting is all about. My daughter, my father in law and myself left the Saskatchewan hunting camp with a great friend.

I have watched countless hunts on video and to watch the Live 2 Hunt team slither through grass on fair chase hunts having hunts be busted as the animals senses kicked in and to still see the passion and the drive in all of them to continue on and succeed.......well I dare say that any of us in the jobs that we do would or should give the same effort to succeed. This is a young man that has had a dream and a passion to pursue a life style that few could match. And for him to be criticized for pursuing this dream and passion is pure rubish

I have talked with Cody about the pressures he gets and the comments that he hears about his success and the one thing that always sticks in my mind is his comment that "many people are waiting for him to make a mistake". To the unidentified individual that made the reference that any professional hunter, TV personality, guide or outfitter will cross the line purely for the success in the hunt is not only misinformed but completely wrong. While there may be some that choose to cross the line, it is no more wrong than you or I crossing that same line.....of course except the fact that you can remain hiden in anonimity from the other side of your computer board and be spared the public criticism that you feel justified to pass on to a known individual. Look in the mirror and clean up the self proclaimed past that you have admitted too before looking somewhere else to pass on your wisdom.

TJ and Rich could likely verify the need, the feeling that they are watched in scrutiny every step they make ...... having someone out there hoping and praying they cross the line. The great thing is that good people and people that believe in what is right and wrong just need to carry on their business and not have to worry about crossing that line.

To Cody and his crew at Live 2 Hunt.....while there are a few that let their negativities show through......look at the youngsters at shows that you impact in what it is that you do......I know that I see that impact on a daily basis with my own daughter and I would not have traded that experience last spring for anything in the world. Thank you for the example you are in the industry and to whatever success that you have from this past falls hunt.....well, it is well deserved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I for one am extremely proud to be affiliated with Cody, Kels and the Live 2 Hunt crew.......it ulitimately is a reflection of who I am as a person as well.

Enjoy your successes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marco

Well spoken. I had a chance to talk with Cody at the Med. Hat show last weekend, and it was apparent to me that he is an honorable and genuine person. While I have only met Cody this one time, I am usually bang on with judging a person's character. It is disappointing to see people trying to tear him apart with baseless accusations.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer18 View Post
ok lets put this story into perspective. hunted this deer on his own land, hunted 40 plus days , probably had several of his crew helping him. do you guys think that this is fair chase or any normal way people hunt? think about this before you reply.
This statement is very close to the definition of Jealousy. While you are looking in the dictionary confirming this definition you might want to stop by the "P" section and look up plug. You might understand how you are percieved by everyone else.

Also Marco that was a great post.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:37 AM

Cat -- you are absolutly CORRECT. Couldn't have said it better. I think you nailed it right on when it was said that all this is a jealous moment for Killer18. And to this Neal caractor ( who-ever the he** he is ) you should be ashamed of your self if in fact as you have insinuated that you are a card carrying supposed writer. You give your writers 'creed' about how holy and honest you are at the same time make accusations that are unfounded and just plain childish about rumours that some-one told some-one who told honest Nelly who printed it here. And then make some vague insinuation about a helicopter- thats really poor. You are not a professional, actually i have never heard of you beforew.
On an up note, congrats to Cody and anyone who had anything to do with the success of his hunts. Some of the whinners like killer18 and Nelly are really poor.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:45 AM

ok,ok guys you have missed my point in all this. as for being jealous ,looking at my trophy room, i would beg to differ
Old 01-31-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrushoutdoors View Post
Why do people always have to try to pick peoples accomplishments apart?
Because they are Jealous....and for the most part too lazy..... lets sit at home type or weekend warriors that sit around the coffee pot at work or hovering over a keyboard bitching about what the next guy shot,,, because if they ever got out and tried have as hard as most of us they might have a different view,but i doubt that will ever happen cause that would mean they would have to miss the morning bitch,whine,cry,and lets start a rumor session that they live for !!!! what these jealous people will will never understand is that when you have a desire to hunt as most of us do, you sacrifice alot in life...these guys should put the blinders back on the horse and take a look around and then mybe thay would see that THEY are the one's that give the sport of hunting and other hunters a negative check mark !!
Old 01-31-2012, 09:54 AM

I'm not a trophy hunter. No desire. It just doesn't turn my crank whatsoever.

That being said, this guy put forth a huge effort, and earned himself an incredible buck. I say, my hat is off to him and great job.

For the other guys, well, I suppose your entitled to your opinion. Just be careful your opinion doesn't turn into blatent unfounded slander as there are consequences for that sort of thing.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
ok,ok guys you have missed my point in all this. as for being jealous ,looking at my trophy room, i would beg to differ
The way you keep posting I think your going to understand everyone else's point. I'm sure someone right now is filling a sack full of bricks to help you understand the point of flapping your mouth.

Let's see your trophy room. Post it up let's see all these trophies! I have no use for people like you who hide behind a fake name and flap their mouth. I bet you wouldn't walk up to these guys and and say this to their face.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natural.born.fawn.killer View Post
The way you keep posting I think your going to understand everyone else's point. I'm sure someone right now is filling a sack full of bricks to help you understand the point of flapping your mouth.

Let's see your trophy room. Post it up let's see all these trophies! I have no use for people like you who hide behind a fake name and flap their mouth. I bet you wouldn't walk up to these guys and and say this to their face.
wanna bet, i have not accused anyone of poaching, just stated facts on so called pro hunters in the past. many of which on camera portray them selves as saints. did not state any where that cody poached the deer,im just not going to give him the same recognition for his accomplishment that i would to someone who does not do this for a living.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Put up or shut up..........no seriously I just love seeing pics of good trophy rooms so lets see it!
Old 01-31-2012, 10:35 AM

be honest , do you really want to see MY trophy room after all this???
Old 01-31-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhunter51 View Post
Cat -- you are absolutly CORRECT. Couldn't have said it better. I think you nailed it right on when it was said that all this is a jealous moment for Killer18. And to this Neal caractor ( who-ever the he** he is ) you should be ashamed of your self if in fact as you have insinuated that you are a card carrying supposed writer. You give your writers 'creed' about how holy and honest you are at the same time make accusations that are unfounded and just plain childish about rumours that some-one told some-one who told honest Nelly who printed it here. And then make some vague insinuation about a helicopter- thats really poor. You are not a professional, actually i have never heard of you beforew.
On an up note, congrats to Cody and anyone who had anything to do with the success of his hunts. Some of the whinners like killer18 and Nelly are really poor.
Wow!!
I was going to stay out of this one after saying my piece. But here goes.
My question was not accusatory, driven by jealousy or childish.
I asked one simple question "was this buck harvested over bait?"
The unequivocal answer from Billy Blastoff and others earlier in the thread was NO.
Good. Or so I thought.
The concept of "fair chase" is not something that SRD bureaucrats in Edmonton dream up on a slow day.
They are largely driven by hunters and anglers. Although there are wider societal forces at work too.
Every year the Alberta Fish and Game Association debates and votes on resolutions that directly involve the further definition of fair chase.
They send these resolutions to the government to hopefully implement.
AFGA's strong and so-far successful stand against shooting ungulates behind fences is an example. But there are many, many others.
I suspect, but I have no specific proof, that the ban on cervid baiting was a hunter driven initiative too.
It was organized Alberta hunters and anglers who lobbied for the original fair chase laws way back in 1908 and continue to do so. I am an AFGA member and support what our leadership is going.
Of course, what is legal fair chase in Alberta differs in Saskatchewan - where baiting and hunt farms exist.
Whenever I see a hunt show that originates in Saskatchewan and Texas I look for one thing.
In Saskatchewan it's the pile of alfalfa hay. In Texas it the brown stuff on the ground - which I think is sorghum but don't hold me to it.
This, of course, makes the job of the outfitter/guide a lot easier.
In Alberta guides have to use a far more diverse skill sets to get their hunters on a shooter - and therefore it can be argued have to be more accomplished than in Saskatchewan. The same, of course, applies to resident hunters.
The question of whether this is fair chase or not is what this debate is all about. Some say it is, some say it isn't. That's democracy at work.
The fact that Cody chose not to set out a bait to harvest his record buck - even though it was legal to do it - might be an indication of his concept of fair chase. And he may have been aware of the critical implications if he had.
But since neither he nor Billy Blastoff haven't specifically addressed this, it's simply conjecture on my part.
Whatever it is, in my mind this issue was done and dusted several pages ago.
Cody Robbins' magnificent mulie was a fair chase harvested buck of which he should be truly proud. And as a professional hunter, broadcaster and OWC member he has every moral and ethical right to sell stories about the hunt and exhibit it so others can share in his fine accomplishment.
I'm not sure how the sh!t hammer is going to come down on this post. But I'm sure it will.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Maybe not on this thread....but I've never once complained about seeing a trophy room, especially after the comment that you made suggesting that yours is a good one. I just plan old like seeing trophies and taxidermy!
Old 01-31-2012, 10:45 AM

how about 1 pic at a time, and we will see how this goes
Old 01-31-2012, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
Maybe not on this thread....but I've never once complained about seeing a trophy room, especially after the comment that you made suggesting that yours is a good one. I just plan old like seeing trophies and taxidermy!
Trust me, you Don't want to See a bunch of deer shot from the drivers seat of a truck. Quite ironic when you read his posts.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty P. View Post
Trust me, you Don't want to See a bunch of deer shot from the drivers seat of a truck. Quite ironic when you read his posts.
here we go...lol
Old 01-31-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
how about 1 pic at a time, and we will see how this goes
Quote:
Maybe not on this thread....
start a new thread for your trophy room pics....or use one of the many long running trophy room threads already established.

we will all be waiting on the edge of our seats i promise.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty P. View Post
Driver's seat? Lol. You're just jelly you don't have one of these to hunt with:

Old 01-31-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
ok lets put this story into perspective. hunted this deer on his own land, hunted 40 plus days , probably had several of his crew helping him. do you guys think that this is fair chase or any normal way people hunt? think about this before you reply.
3 years, multiple guys, 2-3 times a day watching/scouting! On sole access land. And I don't have a tv show. 1 record under my belt!

Is in common, nope, cause nobody wants to put the time, or the money to give up on everything else, to hunt one specific animal. It also takes special kind of friends to help in that sort of adventure!

Does Cody and crew deserve accolades , for the accomplishment they achieved, hell yes.

The serious guys do hunt like this!!!
Old 01-31-2012, 12:26 PM

Old 01-31-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by November Rain View Post
Driver's seat? Lol. You're just jelly you don't have one of these to hunt with:

yes i do
Old 01-31-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Thats a STUD of a deer no doubt!
Old 01-31-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Waugh View Post
The question of whether this is fair chase or not is what this debate is all about. Some say it is, some say it isn't. That's democracy at work.
The fact that Cody chose not to set out a bait to harvest his record buck - even though it was legal to do it - might be an indication of his concept of fair chase. And he may have been aware of the critical implications if he had.
But since neither he nor Billy Blastoff haven't specifically addressed this
I will address this for them:

(1) The only animals that some hunters choose to hunt over bait piles in Saskatchewan are bears, and whitetail. Which is totally legal and fair chase in Saskatchewan and also according to B&C and P&Y.

(2) Nobody hunts archery mule deer in Saskatchewan over bait,its all spot & stalk. That means you scout-spot-then stalk. If you watch his show you would see that. I have yet to see a show or see a picture or read an article of an archery mule deer taken over a bait pile on this earth.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:44 PM

Did your great grand dad shoot that? How about a picture of your face if you have no problem saying what you say on the internet in public?
Old 01-31-2012, 12:47 PM

That's a great buck killer18. You must be good at photoshop because no one kills deer like that without a Warthog in their driveway.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffymitch1 View Post
(2) Nobody hunts archery mule deer in Saskatchewan over bait,its all spot & stalk. That means you scout-spot-then stalk. If you watch his show you would see that. I have yet to see a show or see a picture or read an article of an archery mule deer taken over a bait pile on this earth.
Not to start up anything but I have been watching Live 2 Hunt since it started and have seen episodes with Cody and a guest sitting in blinds over bait hunting Mule Deer...
Old 01-31-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
thats not a trophy room, that is a trophy, lets see the whole room

A hunter is more than a predator, a hunter is a provider...a caretaker...a leader.
I will never make excuses for who I am... It's the way I was born... I'm a
hunter... A BONE COLLECTOR!!!"
Old 01-31-2012, 12:57 PM

This has been a good discussion. Notwithstanding what I have to say next, the topic is important and I am glad to have read the comments of everyone.

Quote:
Wow!!
I was going to stay out of this one after saying my piece.
You have watched this debate with various wild allegations against Cody (whom I do not know) and, having lit one of the matches, you watched the bonfire and said nothing. You made a drive-by comment with derogatory overtones and, coming from you, it carried credibility. I believe that I have learned more on this thread about you than I learned about Cody.

Your further comment here was long overdue.

Quote:
I asked one simple question "was this buck harvested over bait?"
The unequivocal answer from Billy Blastoff and others earlier in the thread was....
This is a public forum. You chose to ask your "question" here rather than call the hunter and ask him first. As it turns out, you have not offered a shred of evidence to support your off-the-wall question.

This is an Alberta board populated with Alberta hunters. You knew the connotation your question would raise and the reaction that would trigger with some. If you didn't know that, you should not be a writer. On the assumption that you were aware of the obvious, you most definitely should not regard yourself as the Keeper of the Conscience when it comes to anybody's hunting ethics. Someone who wants to wear that mantle will have to demonstrate more ethics than you have demonstrated.

Furthermore, you incorrectly claim that you only asked a question. In fact, you also said this:

Quote:
If it was taken on an alfalfa pile then there are a lot of ethical and possibly record book questions that may soon be asked.
Anyone got any insights?
What "record book questions" did you have in mind, I wonder?

and this:

Quote:
Now it appears that Cody's head likely won't be scored anyway. Velvet apparently doesn't count.
So none of this really matter. Does it.
It never mattered to start with, you goof. It's legal to hunt over bait in SK and both B&C and P&Y are fine with that, as I understand it. You only need to hunt in compliance with the law where the animal was taken.

Neither of those organizations will give a rat's ***** what Neil Waugh thinks about the harvest and, frankly, after watching your performance here, neither do I.

I wonder how you'd feel if some us "just asked questions" to your editor or your advertisers about things that just, oh...., pop into our mind when we read something you write? Doesn't sound so innocent now, I'll wager.

I read this and I see some generous, honourable hunters making comments and offering congratuations. That makes me pleased to be part of the hunting community.

I also see some small men with adolescent jealousy throwing mud and I see a young man who seems to be going places the writer will never go and wonder how far jealousy goes. I am not a part of that community.

Quote:
ABSOLUTELY. Please start another thread.

I want you to make public your stories just like Cody made his public. I don't want to see just photos. I want times, dates, weapons used, number of shots fired, etc. I want the entire story of each kill, in detail. I want the names of all the witnesses.

You can pitch, alright. We know that. Now, let's see if you can catch.

Man up.

(I await your thread with keen anticipation)

Last edited by Rocky7; 01-31-2012 at 01:19 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-31-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Mounts are great, But let's see the field photos of that thing!
Old 01-31-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottymouth View Post
Mounts are great, But let's see the field photos of that thing!
Exactly, mounts are great but judging by the "winter cape" on that bad boy it could be a found dead deer without field photos...

LC
Old 01-31-2012, 01:11 PM

http://s1161.photobucket.com/albums/...t=P1310006.jpg
Closed Thread